• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Xbox Wireless Controller (Series X|S)

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Microsoft's first-party native support of their Xbox brand has had them bring out relevant hardware and software on Windows as well. The Xbox controller is synonymous with PC gaming today, and we take a look at the latest Xbox wireless controller to compare to previous-generation controllers and the competition.

Show full review

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I'm still using my wireless xbox360 controller, bought in 2014....
No Xbox accessories app or active Xbox ID needed... :p

The Xbox One's controller is literally the WORST controller I've ever owned.

The Controller itself is comfortable and functional, but the reliability was TERRIBLE. I had to replace it SEVERAL times. Triggers fail, sticks drift, etc.

I don't know if I want the XBox SX controller.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
In the past it was always Plug 'n Play, I don't need Xbox accessories app and I don't want an active Xbox ID when I just use it for PC.

The Controller itself is comfortable and functional, but the reliability was TERRIBLE. I had to replace it SEVERAL times. Triggers fail, sticks drift, etc.

All modern controllers seem to be built out of the cheapest materials possible so that they break easily and you have to buy a new one. I have controllers from the 90s (like my original DualShock) that still work flawlessly despite young me not doing anything to take care of them, yet every Xbone controller I've owned has developed stick drift. I haven't had a DualSense yet, but I've seen tons of complaints about the build quality of those too, and the Switch's drift issues are a meme at this point. Even the Xbox Elite controllers seem to have a myriad of common issues, despite their cost. It's embarrassing.

Why in the hell does it require a wired connection for a firmware update? The damn controller doesn't even come with a wire does it?

I've never had one single freaking issue with my Xbox One controller in the four years that I've had it. Every game that works with a controller works perfectly fine just like my Xbox 360 controller before that did. I bought the wireless adapter from Microsoft plugged it in to sync the controller and never done a damn thing since that.

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
All modern controllers seem to be built out of the cheapest materials possible so that they break easily and you have to buy a new one. I have controllers from the 90s (like my original DualShock) that still work flawlessly despite young me not doing anything to take care of them, yet every Xbone controller I've owned has developed stick drift. I haven't had a DualSense yet, but I've seen tons of complaints about the build quality of those too, and the Switch's drift issues are a meme at this point. Even the Xbox Elite controllers seem to have a myriad of common issues, despite their cost. It's embarrassing.
The people who have issues will of course voice their concerns louder than most. I've had two Xbox One controller (sold one to a friend and one still being used by myself) over the years. Never any problem. I did replace the thumbsticks just a couple weeks ago because the rubber grips were starting to came off but that's just normal wear and tear and an can be fixed easily by buying a pair of grips or buying a pair of thumbsticks.

Why in the hell does it require a wired connection for a firmware update? The damn controller doesn't even come with a wire does it?
Not really an issue considering the plethora of USB Type-C cables available around most people who would be the potential buyer. I mean, it would be great if they could do OTA firmware update (which can be done), but it is what it is.

I had to buy the Xbox Wireless adapter when I bought my controller since I don't have Bluetooth. What a nightmare. What should have been "just plug it in and it works" turned into almost an hour of searching and watching Youtube to finally find drivers that worked. The drivers are supposed to be built into Windows 10 but that's a load of crap. The controller refused to connect until I finally got working ones installed.

EDIT: Also, with the Xbox Wireless adapter you do not need to plug the controller into a wired connection to update the firmware with the Xbox Accessories app.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Does anyone know if you can have two of these connected to your PC over bluetooth at the same time? I assume this model does not come with a bluetooth dongle ?

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Love my Elite V1 and just this week I treated it to the BT dongle and the charge pack. This is literally the first time I’ve had a wireless peripheral(okay I guess my Quest 2 counts).
I’ve always owned PS’s but can’t deny how great the Xbox controller is.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Lack of motion support is a negative for me. No Switch emulation with it.

I bought my xbox one controller that includes the dongle, and it was only 15$ more than the controller only option. I think its worth it if you wanna use the headphone jack.

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
I've had my Xbox 360 Wireless controller for six years now. The left analog sticks have rashes after scratching with the collar, the rubber coating on both sticks has worn off a little, there's slight intermittent drift that can be somewhat circumvented by deadzone settings and I'm still not comfortable with the battery placement affecting my grip. But my god will I never buy any modern controller. I've never heard any Xbox One or later variants living past one or two years among my acquaintances. Only some early Xbox One controllers when one friend bought XB1 back in 2014.

Luckily there's bunch of unopened Xbox 360 controllers floating in our market. So I may be safe for another decade or so.

In the past it was always Plug 'n Play, I don't need Xbox accessories app and I don't want an active Xbox ID when I just use it for PC.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the app is only for customizing and shit. If you want plug and play, don't download and install the app I guess.

Processor 5950X
Motherboard Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision
Storage 980 Pro 500GB, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, Crucial MX500 2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34WQC
Case Cooler Master C700M
Audio Device(s) Bose
Power Supply AX850
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard MSI GK80
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z Single-Thread: 688 Multi-Thread: 11940
I have quite a few games that don't support keyboard and mouse, but after reading this review I'm still don't which controller to buy, eg there is no comparison with the Razer and Steel Series Ones.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I have quite a few games that don't support keyboard and mouse, but after reading this review I'm still don't which controller to buy, eg there is no comparison with the Razer and Steel Series Ones.
Can't do much if I don't have any of those, especially with Razer being terrible at marketing and PR here. The rep keeps promising and apologizing but ultimately nothing is actually sent.

I had to buy the Xbox Wireless adapter when I bought my controller since I don't have Bluetooth. What a nightmare. What should have been "just plug it in and it works" turned into almost an hour of searching and watching Youtube to finally find drivers that worked. The drivers are supposed to be built into Windows 10 but that's a load of crap. The controller refused to connect until I finally got working ones installed.

EDIT: Also, with the Xbox Wireless adapter you do not need to plug the controller into a wired connection to update the firmware with the Xbox Accessories app.
I bought an Xbox One S gamepad some years ago to use it exclusively with PC as I don't have an MS console.
I bought a USB BT adapter for less than 5 euros and it took me less than 5 minutes to set it up.
Hell, it even works with Edifier BT speakers at the same time.
No drifts or any other problems during these years. My only complaint is that the white version I bought gets dirty easily...

Im thinking of getting a dual sense. It has a gyro for switch emulation (my xbox dont). At the moment the dualsense haptic triggers and feedback is only supported by 1 game on PC, Metro Exodus.

Sony just started making things happen for PC (buying a porting studio), who knows they might fully support the dualsense features on their PC games coming out in the future.

Processor 5950X
Motherboard Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Loop
Storage 980 Pro 500GB, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, Crucial MX500 2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Case Cooler Master C700M
Audio Device(s) Bose
Power Supply AX850
Keyboard MSI GK80
Software W10 Pro
Im thinking of getting a dual sense. It has a gyro for switch emulation (my xbox dont). At the moment the dualsense haptic triggers and feedback is only supported by 1 game on PC, Metro Exodus.

Sony just started making things happen for PC (buying a porting studio), who knows they might fully support the dualsense features on their PC games coming out in the future.
Is the Dual Sense compatible with PC games irrespective of whether haptic triggers and feedback are supported or not?

Is the Dual Sense compatible with PC games irrespective of whether haptic triggers and feedback are supported or not?
Yup its supported on steam natively, but you can also use ds4windows like how you would use a ps4 controller, touchpad even works as mouse input. Not all games have playstation button prompts though, just some, but not an issue coz you probably have muscle memory of xbox letters anyway. Theres even a tutorial on how to convert game sounds to dualsense haptics.

Last edited:
Processor 5950X
Motherboard Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Cooler Master C700M
Audio Device(s) Bose
Power Supply AX850
Keyboard MSI GK80
Software W10 Pro
Yup its supported on steam natively, but you can also use ds4windows like how you would use a ps4 controller, touchpad even works as mouse input. Not all games have playstation button prompts though, just some, but not an issue coz you probably have muscle memory of xbox letters anyway. Theres even a tutorial on how to convert game sounds to dualsense haptics.

I am familiar with PS3 controller, but never have any xbox console:(. I have to say the dual shock was great great in games that supported it. So I would say not every game in PS5 would support the haptic triggers or whatever.

I just got a shock blue a month ago. I'm coming from an Xbone controller I've had for 2 years and came from many 360 controllers before that. With each revision, the controller gets better, it's just always hard to say how much is it worth to upgrade from an older one if it's still working. My biggest reasons for this upgrade was "ooh blue", to be able to dedicate my other controller to my new Shield TV Pro if I want, and that I was getting a little joystick drift once in a while on the Xbone, which really kinda stinks considering how NOT often I use a controller on my PC.

Overall though, I went for the upgrade anyway. It's been performing just fine with the xbox wireless adapter (that I also use with the xbox wireless headphones). I do like the extra texture they added to the triggers and I like the d-pad a little more. They also made the back surface of the controller a little more rougher than the Xbone, so it's less slippery. I could squeeze my hands on the Xbone and it would slide up out of my hand (I'd have to do this on purpose, wasn't really an issue during games), but with the blue controller, it won't move.

I haven't tried using the new one in BT mode. When I originally bought my Xbone, I planned on using it as BT controller, but I always found it would miss button presses sometimes. So I ended up getting the wireless adapter and it's been 100% stable with the controllers and headphone.

It's always hard to say how to recommend these, cuz would I say it's the best xbox controller yet, yes. Is it worth upgrading from an older working controller? Maybe not if you're not having any issues with it. If you are, then sure.

Reactions: VSG
System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
still have my XB1 and XB360 controller with me. Didn't have any drifting issues as both controllers are well-maintained. XB360 controller is 10 years old and still works like a charm. XB1 is almost 5 years. The only gripe I have with the XB1 controller is the sticks worn out way quicker than the 360's. Good thing there are replacement sticks out there (they're much better than the stock ones, imo).

Last edited:
Author is clearly a filthy casual :D
Xbox controllers are way inferior to steam controller or DS4/Dualsense for PC gaming due to not having gyro built in. Flick Stick and gyro aim are vastly superior. Look at this beauty:
I recommend watching all his videos.
Steam controller is way better as well:
There is a lot of videos about Steam controller configs for various games, I like RambleTan.
In short gyro is a must for comfortable aiming from couch that is not retarded like analog stick. I like that they are still using normal batteries - thumbs up! BTW Steam Deck will have gyro as well so FPS will play great on it after some fiddling with steam input configurator :)