• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mozilla Firefox 4 Web-Browser Released

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Go to Options -> Advanced -> General TAB
:)

cheers :) LOL turns out it was right below the smooth scrolling feature I was talking about and manually enabled earlier...

:toast:

Processor e8200 3.93mhz@1.264v
Motherboard P5E3 Pro
Cooling Scythe Infinity
Memory 4gb of G.Skill Ripjaw 6-7-7-18@1404 and 1.62v
Video Card(s) HIS 5770 v2 940/1275mhz stock volts
Storage 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Blue Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio :(, and Klipsch 5.1 Pro Media's
Power Supply 650 Watt BFG
Software Vista 64 Ultimate
I installed FF4 without a desktop icon, it made one anyway. It replaced my recycle bin :(.

:confused: What's the font issue? Can someone post a good-quality screenshot?

I've been using v.4 for quite some time now, the only glitch was youtube videos - I had to disable hardware acceleration for them to work. Now all seems fine.

NOTE : Most affects pages with white background - TPU forums have a mild blue which is far less affected.

My text has gotten all screwed up since I installed FireFox 4 :((

Everything now looks very blurry & scratchy & ugly - very unpleasant to use - Even text in the menus is all washed out and crappy.

My eyes are already not 100% now it's almost impossible to read anything.

Plus the blur is causing me a LOT of eye strain.

Real DICK move Mozilla :( - Not Cool.

Turning OFF hardware rendering makes it a little better but does not fix it AND DISABLES hardware rendering which is pretty much one of FF4's ONLY advances - and as SO many ppl have said - "oh just diddle your hardware settings on your video card to fix it" - Which is the dumbest thing i have heard all year, Screw up your graphics config so FireFox can draw TEXT? Now EVERYTHING ELSE is screwed - but at least FireFox can "do writing" Yes.. really smart - thanks for that useful tip.

Anyway - I suppose Im putting FF3 back - as it really hurts my eyes as all the text is now blurry as all hell.

And according to experts the way to fix it is to disable hardware rendering and break my entire gfx driver settings - I think I'll just use another browser.

D

Deleted member 67555

I'm with you Bazzokajoe this is completely retarded...
I new this was an issue with the RC but it's still here on the actual release WTF!
Mozilla new about this problem and still released it which tells me THEY CAN'T FIX IT
So I say Fu*k OFF Firefox you wont be missed

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
I have zero issues with any of the aforementioned examples.
You might want to try the Anti-Aliasing Tuner add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/anti-aliasing-tuner/) to see if this helps :)

Plugin helps a LOT - Far more than turning off features & wrecking my gfx settings - Thanks.

But I still shout a big fat SCREW YOU Mozilla! - For screwing it up so badly that it NEEDS a plugin to fix it.

Now if only I had actually had to PAY for it so I had an excuse to be really angry :)

D

Deleted member 67555

I have zero issues with any of the aforementioned examples.
You might want to try the Anti-Aliasing Tuner add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/anti-aliasing-tuner/) to see if this helps :)

Trying it now but it only seems to be making things worse....
Besides getting harder to read FF now takes like 10 seconds to start....

This Browser is Garbage...Plain and simple...Ive been using FF since I quit using Netscape....This is the worst browser to date...

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
Plugin helps a LOT - Far more than turning off features & wrecking my gfx settings - Thanks.

But I still shout a big fat SCREW YOU Mozilla! - For screwing it up so badly that it NEEDS a plugin to fix it.

Now if only I had actually had to PAY for it so I had an excuse to be really angry :)

:roll:
NP mate :)

This Browser is Garbage...Plain and simple...Ive been using FF since I quit using Netscape....This is the worst browser to date...

Well.. I did a quick Google around the place and it seems that this is a fairly wide-spread issue, even if the number of users is in the minority, we're still talking about an awful lot of people with these problems.
Again, I don't have a single problem with it and I'm happy with the improvements over the old version.
I'm guessing no-one on the Mozilla Forum is willing to admit to this? Or come up with a solution for that matter..

So far my testing is very limited - but I have also had menus freaking out a bit since I added the plugin... will have to test more tonight - too much work to do now :\

D

Deleted member 67555

I just asked how to fix this on the FF forums...
I asked how to fix the problem without ANY changes to my GFX settings....because I'm not going through the trouble of making a profile in CCC to browse the Internet....

I just don't understand why they released a final BUGGED version that they absolutely knew had major issues that make this release pointless unless they are asking the community to help fix it...

I hope not tho...I can see using community apps to make it better but not askiung the community to make it work.

D

Deleted member 67555

EDIT: On the FF forums they suggested to run Cleartype from the start menu so I did...It didn't do anything...it actually made it worse yet....

System Name Zen2600
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Captain120EX
Memory 2x8 GB Patriot Viper Steel 360000 @3400MHz [18-19-19-39-80] DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ @stock
Storage WD Black 500GB NVME
Display(s) LG 32GK850F
Case NZXT H440 EnvyUS
Audio Device(s) Custom HP AMP + Sennheiser HD380
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard ElE Game1
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
About font issues:
It seems like it only affects Nvidia users. I think it would be similar if someone with Radeon enabled MLAA, but I it was fixed with driver update if i'm not mistaken. Hasn't Nvidia similar feature in their drivers that could be causing this? You sure it's not a buggy graphics driver?

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Holy crap why are you guys so angry? No one forced you to download this and you are guys are isolated problems, for the vast majority it does work.

It's like buying tickets for a football game ( when you can't choose the seat) and you get a shitty one, it's no ones fault it's random.

Or in this case, it could be a hardware/software conflicting.

But please stop raaaaagggin over what is essentially nothing at all. ( echo, alla Ned flanders here if you want)

Try and make a program that has 100% compatibility, it's bit harder than it sounds considering how many millions upon millions possibly billions of variations/combinations of pc hardware there potentially is.

Think about how many potential passwords there are for a 6 character password. ( or more numbers) same ludacrous numbers happen in the pc world as it isn't just 0123456789 to play with, it's all the graphics cards produced over the past 10 years ( maybe more) it's all the mobos and all the cpus.

That is hard to code 100% compatibility for. real hard.

Sorry for rant, it's just annoying that people don't take a step back and look at a problem for what it is. ( or realise that they're a minority problem)

Last edited:
System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
I'm lazy and haven't read through everyone's issues but ...

Is anyone else having massive memory-hog issues with FF4? I run it off a U3 drive on my work computer (bypasses work's restrictions), and the old 3.6 would use ~100,000k to ~200,000k after prolonged heavy use. Now with v4 it very quickly ramps up - am already at 200,000k after a few minutes browsing with only 3 tabs open, and had earlier been sitting at 350,000k.

I don't have an endless supply of RAM, mozilla.

Go whine to Microsoft about shitty font hinting. It's not Mozilla's problem.

Seriously, the same people who hate un-tech-savvy users but aren't interested in doing some researches themselves? Look in the mirror next time you want to bash people like your grandma.

D

Deleted member 67555

If your getting Blurred Text while using an AMD 5k or 6k series cards simply uncheck Morphological Filtering in CCC under the GAMING TAB.
After you do that you can run FF with Hardware Acceleration on and not get blurry text

And LOL at pron inspectors rant......Your just as wrong so you get a big EEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR wrong!! too...

Sorry for rant, it's just annoying that people don't take a step back and look at a problem for what it is. ( or realize that they're a minority problem)

Panther - I generally have a lot of respect for your opinion - but your arrogance and ignorance in that comment shock me.

For the many THOUSANDS of people in hundreds of forums all over the WORLD , in more than 20 languages who are affected by the font rendering issue this is a BIG problem.

One that has been reported, admitted, argued about, and blatantly ignored by FF4 Dev team since day 1 of the betas - just GOOGLE it.

It makes some Chinese, Japanese & Arabic fonts totally un-readable all together.

It SIGNIFICANTLY effects the useability of all of the internet for these people.

Simply dismissing it & branding everyone else a minority just because it doesn't effect YOU is very ignorant indeed.

The frustration stems from how it's clearly only as a result of an INTENTIONAL act on the part of the FF4 coders - and it does NOT happen in ANY OTHER SOFTWARE on the affected systems, and it does NOT happen if you remove FF4 and reinstall FF3.

This bug ONLY AFFECTS FIREFOX 4 - no other software at all, on any of the "affected" systems - it's nothing to do with peoples hardware its a FIREFOX 4 ISSUE.

Somebody did something specifically different to try and be clever - and it BACKFIRED - now FireFox dev team simply couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. Perhaps we ARE the fools for developing a sense of loyalty to a product, and assuming that that product would ever reciprocate, but that is human nature - we love our teddy bears, our first cars, our brand new iPads, and if any of those where to just turn around and say "Screw you - There's a bug that we could easily just fix - that we've known about for ages - but to hell with you - we couldn't be bothered" we'd also be upset - It's just who we are.

THAT'S why so many people, who for so long have supported, and endorsed and helped spread FireFox since version 1 - are now feeling personally hurt.

So there's my rant - I'll leave it alone from here on - perhaps a later version of FF4 might have a fix - we can only hope.

Last edited:
It's called DirectWrite and Direct2D and there is no cure(other than a future version of gdipp) until Microsoft gives us one. Using DirectWrite and Direct2D are the major new features of Fx 4. Disable them and you will revert back to GDI.

IE9 does the same unless it's in compatibility mode.

It's not Mozilla's problem. Do some research for deity's sake.

And seriously, it's 2011 and you still don't use sub-pixel anti-aliasing?

If your getting Blurred Text while using an AMD 5k or 6k series cards simply uncheck Morphological Filtering in CCC under the GAMING TAB.
After you do that you can run FF with Hardware Acceleration on and not get blurry text

And LOL at pron inspectors rant......Your just as wrong so you get a big EEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR wrong!! too...

Your problem is a different one than the most common one which is "blurry cleartype". Firefox 4 by default renders onto layers of surfaces then output to Direct3D 9, AMD CCC thinks it's a game, applies MLAA, you get ruined output. Also happens in games.

D

Deleted member 67555

Your problem is a different one than the most common one which is "blurry cleartype". Firefox 4 by default renders onto layers of surfaces then output to Direct3D 9, AMD CCC thinks it's a game, applies MLAA, you get ruined output. Also happens in games.

Oh ok...
Well I hope everyone else knows about the Hotfix(s)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505438
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2454826
and of course this one may be needed as well
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113

you can also type "cleartype" from the START MENU and then run "Cleartype" to make sure it's enabled

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
really enjoying FF4, its unfortunate you guys having issues

System Name POWERHOUSE
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4013 Mhz
Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E LX
Cooling Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer 120mm
Memory Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Video Card(s) ASUS HD6950 w/ASUS 6970 BIOS
Storage 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s
Display(s) ASUS VW246D
Case ULTRA Aluminous ATX
Power Supply Corsair tx750w
Software Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Panther - I generally have a lot of respect for your opinion - but your arrogance and ignorance in that comment shock me.

For the many THOUSANDS of people in hundreds of forums all over the WORLD , in more than 20 languages who are affected by the font rendering issue this is a BIG problem.

One that has been reported, admitted, argued about, and blatantly ignored by FF4 Dev team since day 1 of the betas - just GOOGLE it.

It makes some Chinese, Japanese & Arabic fonts totally un-readable all together.

It SIGNIFICANTLY effects the useability of all of the internet for these people.

Simply dismissing it & branding everyone else a minority just because it doesn't effect YOU is very ignorant indeed.

The frustration stems from how it's clearly only as a result of an INTENTIONAL act on the part of the FF4 coders - and it does NOT happen in ANY OTHER SOFTWARE on the affected systems, and it does NOT happen if you remove FF4 and reinstall FF3.

This bug ONLY AFFECTS FIREFOX 4 - no other software at all, on any of the "affected" systems - it's nothing to do with peoples hardware its a FIREFOX 4 ISSUE.

Somebody did something specifically different to try and be clever - and it BACKFIRED - now FireFox dev team simply couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. Perhaps we ARE the fools for developing a sense of loyalty to a product, and assuming that that product would ever reciprocate, but that is human nature - we love our teddy bears, our first cars, our brand new iPads, and if any of those where to just turn around and say "Screw you - There's a bug that we could easily just fix - that we've known about for ages - but to hell with you - we couldn't be bothered" we'd also be upset - It's just who we are.

THAT'S why so many people, who for so long have supported, and endorsed and helped spread FireFox since version 1 - are now feeling personally hurt.

So there's my rant - I'll leave it alone from here on - perhaps a later version of FF4 might have a fix - we can only hope.

FF4 looks fine to me. IE9 gives me a headache in about 10 minutes.

Processor i7 920 D0 @ 4Ghz (200x20) - 1.248v
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
Memory Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600Mhz)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 4890 XXX Edition 1GB GDDR5
Storage OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB, Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB
Display(s) Samsung T240 24"
Case Antec 902
Audio Device(s) Realtek High Definition Audio 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000W Modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x64
Loving FF4 so far, its refueled my passion for browsing the web a bit :p

had the blurry text issue too, just disabled direct2D in about:config and now it's perfect, text seems easier to read than in FF3.6.