• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My cpu overclock is no longer stable

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I usually balance between clock speed, voltages, temperature and noise. Back in the day when I didn't care that much about the noise level, I usually ran CPUs at about the maximum possible speed (but with manual tuning, that something like OP's scenario wouldn't happen), but these days I also want my PC to be quiet.

Well, when gaming, I use headphones, so that's a different story :rolleyes: seriously, I HATE doing manual fan profiles on bios. And even now my radiator's fans ramp up and down from time to time. Frustrating.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus b450F ROG Strix
Cooling 3 case fans plus deepcool maxx V2 cpu heatsink
Memory 16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3060 TI
Storage 3 SSD's, 1 Samsung 970 Evo NVME and 2 sata (Crucial 1 TB and ADATA 480 GB) and 2 sata hardrives
Display(s) 27 inch Asus 75hz gaming monitor
Case NZXT h500i black
Power Supply Corsair cx650m 650 watt psu
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Keyboard Inland RGB mechanical keyboard with blue optical switches.
Software windows 10 64 bit
Run everything at stock until your computer boot up stable everytime consistently for about a month or longer. best to leave the overclocking, this is my best advice to you so you can maintain the system with longer running lifespan.

Apply this when overclocking
Disable your auto oc and do it manually. Do it first only with cpu to see how far you can push it and leave RAM with default settings. If you have your cpu stable then you can push your RAM higher. Watch always temperatures there should a limit best to not go over 70- 80c if it run consistent over 50 or just 60 above then leave it, and of course lower the temp the better it is and VCore when you do stress tests with Prime95 or Aida64. so temp if the system run on full load and struggle with it, best to get it lower temp even the overclock is not 4.3.
And remember stress test everytime you apply a new overclock.
This is most likely what I will do. My pc runs fine when everything is at stock and I dont really need to overclock my system right now, but if a game comes out that needs some more cpu power I would like to be able to.

I plan on building a new system next year so I want to get at least one more year out of thise one.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Did you ever update the BIOS to the latest version?
The TPU review in 2011 for the Pro model mentioned more voltage was required for stability with the memory overclock that was tested caused by a BIOS update at the time.