• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My new Platinum psu died after one day of gaming!

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
I use power strip off my apc for two large power converters on my internet modem and sound bar
It's no big deal.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
You should go back and fully read up on what we were discussing earlier. So as it turns out, my ups
only uses simulated sinewave which may cause issues with my psu. That's why I was just going to use
a power strip. Most people here were in a agreement with me on that. Thanks for your help though!
Good advice, go back and do more reading so you know what you are talking about.
Most people were not in agreement with you, but hey, if you have one way stuck in your head, go ahead and do it and stop asking us for advice.

There are two concerns according to Jonny Guru on the matter of using your psu through a ups. One, if the hold up
time is not long enough as the psu's hold up time, it can cause issues. Two, some simulated sine waves can potentially
destroy cheaper made caps in psus. Not thinking this is what happened with my platinum evga but just to be on the
safe side I'm not going with my ups this time. It turns out that there is only just enough battery side outlets for one pc,
one monitor and both my modem and my router to fit into so I'll just be using the ups for my old Dell.

@Caring1 sorry, I didn't know how much you've previously read and you came into this thread late. I do need advice here,
anything is welcome to help me make an informed decision. I'm only trying to do the right thing here, the safest route.
Earlier on I wanted to use my ups but people gave me enough good reasons not to use it.

I'm about to register my ups and then submit a support ticket to ask them some things about my ups. This might help
to shed some more light on the matter as well.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
It is not "pure sinewave" though, which is used for more sensitive electronics like psu's on computers.
You should go back and fully read up on what we were discussing earlier. So as it turns out, my ups
only uses simulated sinewave which may cause issues with my psu. That's why I was just going to use
a power strip. Most people here were in a agreement with me on that. Thanks for your help though!
As @ThrashZone alluded to, a pure sinewave UPS is only necessary if your PSU is picky about what power it's getting. Some PSUs recognize power that isn't pure sinewave as bad power and shut off. 99.99% chance that simulated sine wave isn't going to damage your PSU. Personally I use an APC SMT1000 UPS (outputs pure sine wave) with my PC (got it on a great deal, otherwise I would've opted for something less expensive). UPS's are a step up when compared to a surge protector power strip - that's the whole point. A surge protector is rated for a certain amount of joules - once it has absorbed that amount, it doesn't provide surge protection anymore. UPS's on the other hand offer not only surge protection, but sag protection via AVR, as well as provide battery backup for power outages.

You don't want to ever connect a power strip between your wall and your UPS. I personally wouldn't plug a power strip into the output side of a UPS either, but @ThrashZone says they do and don't have issues, so your mileage may vary.

My ups is rated for a max of 810 watts, my new psu is 750 watt, plug my asus gaming monitor uses up to 27
watts and then the modem uses 9 watts. That's too close to call right? And I don't even know what my router
uses for watts, there wasn't any information on it online. It is a Linkey's. And if I ever forgot this and plugged
in another pc it would overload everything.
As others mentioned, your PSU doesn't pull the amount of watts it's rated for from the wall at all times. Even at max CPU and GPU load, your PC won't pull over the 810W your UPS is rated for - won't even pull 500W at max load as @tabascosauz said.

I think you're overthinking things here. Safest route is plugging your UPS into the wall and your PC into the battery-protected outlets of the UPS. Plug your router and modem in there too so your network stays up during a power outage also.

@ArkJinx7 did you ever test the battery output of the UPS after all this? That will pretty much answer the question of whether not the UPS is good or not.

Also the whole sinewave thing isn't really a thing. Its only a factor when the UPS is running of the battery and then its just less than ideal to what the PSU wants to see on its input side. If it ran off of that type of power forever yeah it would probably reduce it's life span but thats not what a UPS does.

This is the message I got today from Cyberpower, it pretty much summed up what I needed to know about my
ups, which some of you already mentioned earlier to me, thank you!

"
Thank you for contacting CyberPower Technical Support.

F02 Error code indicates "Battery Output Short" fault. Try to unplug at least one piece of equipment from
battery outlets and turn the UPS on again. Let me know if it will fix the issue.

Also, your Dell computer is from the one of the major manufacturer like HP or Lenovo. All computers from
these manufacturers meet Energy Star Standards. This is especially true with regards to Servers. Often, a server
computer will have redundant power supplies.

If the computer is equipped with 80PLUS certified PSU (supports APFC technology for power conversion with high efficiency),
it requires pure sine wave UPS to work properly. Only pure sine wave UPS could be compatible with this kind of PSU.

Bear in mind that Dell specifies using a UPS based on Sine Wave output. "Dell recommends only Universal Power
Supplies (UPS) based on Sine Wave output for APFC PSUs": https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_7010_technical_guidebook.pdf

The model you have is based on Simulated Sine Wave: https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/battery-backup/lx1325gu/

Best regards,

Customer Support
CyberPower Systems Inc."

No I haven't needed to run my ups off just battery yet but I'm sure it's fine. @Operandi

So it sounds like any 80 plus psu like my failed evga should only be running on a pure sinewave ups, not
a simulated one like my ups. My new power strip will probably last me a good long while. Today I sent
off my dead evga psu after getting approval for the rma.

So it sounds like any 80 plus psu like my failed evga should only be running on a pure sinewave ups, not
a simulated one like my ups. My new power strip will probably last me a good long while. Today I sent
off my dead evga psu after getting approval for the rma.
So this is me saying I know more than Cyberpower support but this is wrong. Not seeing a pure sinewave is going to be harder on the input section of a PSU with APFC but again it only has to run the PSU long enough to perform safe shutdown. So a matter of minuets across how many times a year your system actually has to use the battery backup?...., completely irreverent I'm sure. Someone with more EE knowledge can probably explain in better or completely refute what I'm saying....

This is probably something they have to say legally to protect themselves cause yeah technically its not ideal and long term can probably cause harm if you are constantly using the battery but again thats not something that ever really happens in the real world. Its a trade off... a UPS is never going to provide as good as power as your mains so do you want to reduce the lifespan of your PSU by 0.25 seconds each time it uses the UPS so you can perform a safe shutdown or nah? To give you a bit of context I have a 500 something watt Seasonic M12 thats been running 24/7 since they day I've owned it for probably 8 years now and its always been attached to a UPS (digital, non-pure sinewave).

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Well OP, you started this thread with the very strange preconceived notion that a $20 surgeprotector was somehow superior to a high quality $150 UPS. Despite all of the information that was provided to you, you have somehow maintained and further convinced yourself of that incorrect notion and in the process wasted ALOT of peoples time. Whats aggravating is you know it. Your not stupid or ignorant. Therefor i wonder if you haven't been trolling us all along?
To those that have followed this thread and are trying to learn something. Please do yourself a HUGE favor and ignore the OPs seriously flawed logic. There doesn't exist a powerstrip that outperforms a quality UPS whether it be pure sine wave or simulated. Cherry picking information wont change that. Personally im checking out, my time is far to valuable to waste- adding the OP to my ignore list.

So this is me saying I know more than Cyberpower support but this is wrong. Not seeing a pure sinewave is going to be harder on the input section of a PSU with APFC but again it only has to run the PSU long enough to perform safe shutdown. So a matter of minuets across how many times a year your system actually has to use the battery backup?...., completely irreverent I'm sure. Someone with more EE knowledge can probably explain in better or completely refute what I'm saying....

This is probably something they have to say legally to protect themselves cause yeah technically its not ideal and long term can probably cause harm if you are constantly using the battery but again thats not something that ever really happens in the real world. Its a trade off... a UPS is never going to provide as good as power as your mains so do you want to reduce the lifespan of your PSU by 0.25 seconds each time it uses the UPS so you can perform a safe shutdown or nah? To give you a bit of context I have a 500 something watt Seasonic M12 thats been running 24/7 since they day I've owned it for probably 8 years now and its always been attached to a UPS (digital, non-pure sinewave).

Interesting, this is the type of information I was looking for earlier regarding how the sinewaves work with the ups and just
how much of a risk it might be to use the battery with surge protection. I got some information regarding this but this is
also really helpful, thank you! So you are saying that simulated sinewave is probably only a concern on battery when the
ups has to let the psu properly shutdown or using the battery constantly for a longer period of time? However a
simulated sinewave ups is going to make the psu's APEC work harder over time? Do you mean a trade off of more solid power
but no battery vs battery with AVR but a slightly less lifespan that noone will ever notice on the psu? That sounds quite impressive
with your simulated sw ups with your trusty Seasonic! It does help give me better assurance if I were to ever plug my new Seasonic
psu into my ups later, thank you! However, every pc setup is going to provide different results. What model of your Seasonic M12
exactly are you using? The II version, a bronze rated one for 550 watts?

Thank you for that helpful detailed response! The more perspectives I can get and good tips help me more to feel confident
and rest assured. My evga psu dying on me the way it did was a rather dramatic experience. Yes, it could have been way worse
but I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for everyone's help here! I hear what you are saying and I now have a little better
understanding of how most psu's work with such a power system like a ups.

I get the legal protection response, but if like you said, the setup is not "ideal" and it could potentially be harmful to
the psu, wouldn't a compatibility issue be represented as a main concern? I mean you say that this kind of thing
is never something to worry about in the real world but I just rather not take any risks. Anyway, I have already
re-arranged my two computers and put my gaming pc close to my new power strip and my old Dell pc close to the
ups to stay plugged into battery. I'm going to be backing up a lot of files so I definitely need the ups for my Dell! So
it will all work out fine as long as my Seasonic psu plays nice by itself. I fit my old monitor, modem and router into the
battery side and now I only have one battery outlet left. Despite what everyone is saying to me now, I'm just going to
try out my new psu with my gaming pc with my power strip for now. What's the worst that could go wrong? Certainly no
worse than another faulty psu going out on its own, right? Or do I seriously need to be knocked upside the head because
I'm going about this all wrong?

This brings me back to what I was after when I first posted here for help. I wanted to know if a ups is really worth it
or not for protection of a new gaming pc? Aside from the given risks, would a psu that already has a built in suit of power
protection really benefit so much more from a ups than regular power strip enough to waive the risks? It sounds like the answer is
no. But I welcome any type of perspectives on this, all very much appreciated! It would make more sense given the info
provided that a psu is going to be more likely to have a issue with the ups sinewave than the ups being able to stop
the psu from harming itself or other hardware it is connected to. This table of one scenario verses another is really
what it is all about to me. That is what the psu itself is supposed to do, correct? Protect itself and its other connected
components on its own? I'm not really interested in just being able to stay powered on through battery on a ups while
I game, I only wanted better insurance on my gaming hardware and for my psu by using a ups with it. Did I have the right
idea from the beginning to include a ups into the picture and only got scared away because of a failed psu and not knowing
for sure why it went out; or do I have the right idea now to not include the ups with a new gaming build? (given I only wanted
better hardware insurance) This is what I'm still trying to figure out while listening to all opinions given to me and
I'm leaning more on the latter now. I appreciate the help and guidance so much!

I'm going to be hooking up my Seasonic psu very soon but first I'll be testing the motherboard cable with a power tester.
Meanwhile, My dead evga psu is off in transit, I checked the tracking number on it today. I didn't get the insurance with
it as recommended by evga because, well it's an extra 100 bucks!

Well OP, you started this thread with the very strange preconceived notion that a $20 surgeprotector was somehow superior to a high quality $150 UPS. Despite all of the information that was provided to you, you have somehow maintained and further convinced yourself of that incorrect notion and in the process wasted ALOT of peoples time. Whats aggravating is you know it. Your not stupid or ignorant. Therefor i wonder if you haven't been trolling us all along?
To those that have followed this thread and are trying to learn something. Please do yourself a HUGE favor and ignore the OPs seriously flawed logic. There doesn't exist a powerstrip that outperforms a quality UPS whether it be pure sine wave or simulated. Cherry picking information wont change that. Personally im checking out, my time is far to valuable to waste- adding the OP to my ignore list.
Whoa! I never said that I thought a power strip was better protection than a ups. But for my purpose it will do. Plus my power strip cost 30.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
This brings me back to what I was after when I first posted here for help. I wanted to know if a ups is really worth it
or not for protection of a new gaming pc? Aside from the given risks, would a psu that already has a built in suit of power
protection really benefit so much more from a ups than regular power strip enough to waive the risks? It sounds like the answer is
no. But I welcome any type of perspectives on this, all very much appreciated! It would make more sense given the info
provided that a psu is going to be more likely to have a issue with the ups sinewave than the ups being able to stop
the psu from harming itself or other hardware it is connected to. This table of one scenario verses another is really
what it is all about to me. That is what the psu itself is supposed to do, correct? Protect itself and its other connected
components on its own? I'm not really interested in just being able to stay powered on through battery on a ups while
I game, I only wanted better insurance on my gaming hardware and for my psu by using a ups with it. Did I have the right
idea from the beginning to include a ups into the picture and only got scared away because of a failed psu and not knowing
for sure why it went out; or do I have the right idea now to not include the ups with a new gaming build? (given I only wanted
better hardware insurance) This is what I'm still trying to figure out while listening to all opinions given to me and
I'm leaning more on the latter now. I appreciate the help and guidance so much!
The protections a PSU offers are there so it kills itself before any of your expensive components. The UPS makes it less likely that that sort of scenario where your PSU has to sacrifice itself comes up. A UPS definitely isn't a necessary thing, but provides extra peace of mind (an extra layer of protection if you will) in regard to protecting things like your GPU, CPU, etc. Having the ability to safely shut things down in the event of a power outage thanks to the UPS's battery backup is an added bonus.

I believe you had the right idea from the get-go and got scared off by a lemon PSU.

The protections a PSU offers are there so it kills itself before any of your expensive components. The UPS makes it less likely that that sort of scenario where your PSU has to sacrifice itself comes up. A UPS definitely isn't a necessary thing, but provides extra peace of mind (an extra layer of protection if you will) in regard to protecting things like your GPU, CPU, etc. Having the ability to safely shut things down in the event of a power outage thanks to the UPS's battery backup is an added bonus.

I believe you had the right idea from the get-go and got scared off by a lemon PSU.
Thank you! I will definitely take going back to my ups a major consideration! However, I would like to single out this one
statement here "The UPS makes it less likely that that sort of scenario where your PSU has to sacrifice itself comes up."
How exactly is that so? Can the ups actually stop a psu from destroying itself? I was told earlier that the ups can not stop
a bad psu from damaging your other pc components or itself. It only provides protection from a bad storm and a power
surge. Plus sometimes it's the motherboard that sends out false voltage readings and causes the psu to shutdown to
prevent any damage. So with those other factors at play, could a ups be smart enough to predict and prevent an electronic
failure from a power supply? Perhaps that is what my ups did, killing the psu in the process or making the psu want to
end its life?

I think you might be right about me getting scared off from a bad psu. Now it's hard to trust any other psu's. But if there's
any chance at all that a ups can do what you say it can do, I rather have that extra layer of protection, no doubt.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Thank you! I will definitely take going back to my ups a major consideration! However, I would like to single out this one
statement here "The UPS makes it less likely that that sort of scenario where your PSU has to sacrifice itself comes up."
How exactly is that so? Can the ups actually stop a psu from destroying itself? I was told earlier that the ups can not stop
a bad psu from damaging your other pc components or itself. It only provides protection from a bad storm and a power
surge. Plus sometimes it's the motherboard that sends out false voltage readings and causes the psu to shutdown to
prevent any damage. So with those other factors at play, could a ups be smart enough to predict and prevent an electronic
failure from a power supply? Perhaps that is what my ups did, killing the psu in the process or making the psu want to
end its life?

I think you might be right about me getting scared off from a bad psu. Now it's hard to trust any other psu's. But if there's
any chance at all that a ups can do what you say it can do, I rather have that extra layer of protection, no doubt.
I don't claim to know the ins and outs of PSUs and UPSs, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but here's how I'm looking at it. At the very least, you're getting surge protection from your UPS, same as you would if you were just using your $20 surge protector. But the UPS provides not only surge protection, but also sag protection and battery backup capabilities as well. If the UPS isn't going to stop your PSU from sacrificing itself, the surge protector isn't going to either.

How much more can really be said about this?, and I'm honestly not sure if we are being trolled or not (it would be a weird one for sure) but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You've been given enough information now that you should be able to make your own decision or carry on the research yourself and come to your own conclusions.

For another bullshit car analogy, think of it as having a spare tire in your trunk (UPS) vs..... not having one I guess (surge protector). A spare tire is not meant to driven on all the time and will not hold out long term and even if it did would end up wearing out other parts of your car faster does that mean you should never use it? Same with a UPS, its not meant to power your system indefinitely, just to prevent data loss and corruption from an unsafe shutdown the same way a spare tire is jut there to get you home or the mechanic.

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of PSUs and UPSs, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but here's how I'm looking at it. At the very least, you're getting surge protection from your UPS, same as you would if you were just using your $20 surge protector. But the UPS provides not only surge protection, but also sag protection and battery backup capabilities as well. If the UPS isn't going to stop your PSU from sacrificing itself, the surge protector isn't going to either.
Yeah, that's about what I thought, aside from not really knowing what sag protection does. Thank you for your input!

How much more can really be said about this?, and I'm honestly not sure if we are being trolled or not (it would be a weird one for sure) but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You've been given enough information now that you should be able to make your own decision or carry on the research yourself and come to your own conclusions.

For another bullshit car analogy, think of it as having a spare tire in your trunk (UPS) vs..... not having one I guess (surge protector). A spare tire is not meant to driven on all the time and will not hold out long term and even if it did would end up wearing out other parts of your car faster does that mean you should never use it? Same with a UPS, its not meant to power your system indefinitely, just to prevent data loss and corruption from an unsafe shutdown the same way a spare tire is jut there to get you home or the mechanic.
Not much more, but every bit of opinion and info here has really helped me a lot! I would never troll anyone, I don't believe in
such behavior. Not sure why people are saying that. Maybe perhaps because some people ran out of things to say for advice?

Thanks, I've been trying to provide as much infor for people here to better assist me as I can! I have made up my own mind
about what to do about this whole situation. I tried my new psu with my new power strip for now and it ran great. However
the big test will be after I try to power it on again a second time after it's been plugged in over night. This is when my last
psu died on me. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens if you want but for the most part I got all the help and needed
discussion from here that I wanted. Thank you all so much!