• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My pc restarts while playing games

Arvellon

My pc restarts while playing games like Nier Automata, Ori and The Will of The Wisps, Rainbow Six Siege, Apex and Genshin Impact when I look at the event viewer it says kernel power 41 63. There was no problems with my pc 2 days ago. I've tried updating my drivers and turning off quick boot. I attached some HWinfo logs as well.

My Specs:
Intel Core i5-4460
Nvidia GTX 960
WD Blue 1TB (2012)
HyperX Savage DDR3 1600 C9 2x4GB
Corsair VS550 PSU

Attachments

• apex.PNG
    apex.PNG
    69.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Genshin 1.PNG
    Genshin 1.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Idle.PNG
    Idle.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 98
  • R6.txt
    59.9 KB · Views: 80
System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
I guess your PSU is not capable enough. Would you stress test ?

The symptoms suggest a hardware issue, and unless you made any software changes of significance in the last two days, that would seem to also suggest that as well. PSU is definitely where I would start. The fact that you can get it to restart after 5 minutes of stress testing, as posted above, would encourage that as a first step even more so.

I did a quick check for you, and Amazon has EVGA 500 GD, 80+ GOLD 500W for $39.99 shipped, if you want a cheap but not total rubbish option. I'm sure others can make other suggestions. I'd recommend 80 Gold rating or better for whatever you go with, just to help ensure at least a modicum of quality.

Last edited:

Arvellon

It's hard to nail down something like this, but your PSU is definitely where I would start. The symptoms suggest a hardware issue, and unless you made any software changes of significance in the last two days, that would seem to also suggest that as well.

I did a quick check for you, and Amazon has EVGA 500 GD, 80+ GOLD 500W for $39.99 shipped, if you want a cheap but not total rubbish option. I'm sure others can make other suggestions.
I didn't make any software changes it started happening after I cleaned the inside a bit but I don't think I made something disconnect since I was just taking dust from fans with a brush. Thank you for the suggestion as well but I need to check how much it's for me since my country doesn't have the strongest currency.

I didn't make any software changes it started happening after I cleaned the inside a bit but I don't think I made something disconnect since I was just taking dust from fans with a brush. Thank you for the suggestion as well but I need to check how much it's for me since my country doesn't have the strongest currency.
In that case, if you want to spend a bit of time before spending money, I'd try unplugging everything and then plugging everything back in. That may be a waste of time, but it's something you could try.

I would not recommend using a brush to clean out a PC. Compressed air would be best (and be careful to not rev the fans when doing so). You might have created static electricity when brushing, and if that's the case, it could be really hard to figure out what got compromised.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
how old is the thermal paste?
and which cooler are ya using?
maybe ya tipped the cooler with the cleaning.
95 is hot for a 4core cpu even on intel stock cooler

Arvellon

In that case, if you want to spend a bit of time before spending money, I'd try unplugging everything and then plugging everything back in. That may be a waste of time, but it's something you could try.

I would not recommend using a brush to clean out a PC. Compressed air would be best (and be careful to not rev the fans when doing so). You might have created static electricity when brushing, and if that's the case, it could be really hard to figure out what got compromised.
I didn't know about the brush since this is my brothers old rig and he's been doing it like that before as well but I'll try to keep that in mind in future.

and which cooler are ya using?
maybe ya tipped the cooler with the cleaning.
95 is hot for a 4core cpu even on intel stock cooler
It's been a while since we applied new paste and sadly I don't know about which cooler I'm using.

And if I have to buy a new psu is corsair CV and CX models good? Like this and this.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
before buying something new try to test as much as ya can !
like switch thermal paste \ reseat the cooler \ run memtest ++++

it´s my way of doing it - first the cheap options then the buying thingy

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
It's been a while since we applied new paste and sadly I don't know about which cooler I'm using
upload some images of your pc inside and out.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
It restarted after 5 minutes on occt power test gpu was around 85 and cores were around 95 during it.

Get hwinfo64 and lets look at voltages

I didn't know about the brush since this is my brothers old rig and he's been doing it like that before as well but I'll try to keep that in mind in future.

It's been a while since we applied new paste and sadly I don't know about which cooler I'm using.

And if I have to buy a new psu is corsair CV and CX models good? Like this and this.

NO! AVOID CS/CX AND VS LIKE THE PLAGUE, buy a EVGA, Seasonic psu or look up the oem on certain brands like corsair, antec etc...

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
what about test it under safe mode, just to check if there's any app or setting that trigger the restart

btw what motherboard that u use?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I would suspect the PSU first. When troubleshooting possible hardware issues, you always start at the wall. Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you delivering good, clean stable power to the electronics? Obviously, it is plugged in and turned on. But the only way to determine if your PSU is delivering good, clean, stable power is to swap in a known good PSU and see if the problems persist, or go away. Since EVERYTHING inside the case depends on good power, you must start here.

Doesn't matter. It is a myth (and often a risky one too) that TIM (thermal interface materials) needs to be replaced because it is X number of years old. Folks really should just leave TIM alone. AS LONG AS the cured bond between the processor and the heatsink is not broken, there is no reason to replace it. Even if it is 10 years old and dried out, the solids left behind are still occupying the microscopic pits and valleys in the mating surfaces, preventing insulating air from getting in. In other words, the TIM is still doing its job. If you truly "need" the few degrees a fresh application of new TIM "might" provide to prevent crossing over thermal protection thresholds, you have other, more urgent heat issues to deal with first, like case cooling.

I note there is not a single TIM maker, motherboard maker, CPU or GPU maker, or cooler maker that recommends or even suggests replacing the TIM after X number of years.

The problem is, it is too easy to have a mishap that damages the processor, causes excess TIM to get on where it should not be, causes the heatsink to be improperly remounted, etc. All for something not needed. Best to leave it alone so that cured bond does not get broken.

It's intel stock Cooler.
That's fine, Contrary to what many want us to believe, OEM/stock coolers of today are more than capable of providing adequate cooling for the processors they came with AS LONG AS the case is providing a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. So make sure the case is clean of heat trapping dust and your fans are spinning properly.

I note HWiNFO does show some extremely hot temps, but they are so high (127°C), most likely they are false readings. You might see what another monitor, like Speccy, says.

Reactions: 64K
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
It's intel stock Cooler.
fist you dont know which cooler you are using then its the stock cooler, which is it? :banghead:

Thats not what we want to look at.

Arvellon

fist you dont know which cooler you are using then its the stock cooler, which is it? :banghead:

Thats not what we want to look at.
We opened the case to reapply thermal paste that's when I learned which cooler it was and I'm not home right now can you specify which you want to take a look at so I can take a pic when I'm back

what about test it under safe mode, just to check if there's any app or setting that trigger the restart

btw what motherboard that u use?
It's msi h97 pc mate(ms-7850) and I don't think it's some apps or something is causing it since I didn't change anything before problem started.

System Name none
Processor AMD R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650 GAMING PLUS Wifi
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32GB Kingston 5600MT/s @6200MT/s CL32-36-36-28-68 tweaked sub-timings
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1
Display(s) Samsung U28E590
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Corsair
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Who cares!
My pc restarts while playing games like Nier Automata, Ori and The Will of The Wisps, Rainbow Six Siege, Apex and Genshin Impact when I look at the event viewer it says kernel power 41 63. There was no problems with my pc 2 days ago. I've tried updating my drivers and turning off quick boot. I attached some HWinfo logs as well.

My Specs:
Intel Core i5-4460
Nvidia GTX 960
WD Blue 1TB (2012)
HyperX Savage DDR3 1600 C9 2x4GB
Corsair VS550 PSU
Hello. Have you tried running everything with your computer side panel off? This to allow your computer hardware to breath a bit better and allow for hot air to dissipate into the air quicker. Your cpu and gpu should run a bit cooler. If the symptoms stop then your problem is most likely due to overheating. Try reapplying your thermal paste for cpu and gpu.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:(

Actually, running with the side panel off typically is not a good idea, unless the case provides virtually no air flow otherwise.

With the side panel off, the "channel" effect created by the case is nonexistent - there's no desired "flow" of cool air through the case. This create pockets of stagnant air that can build up heat. Not good. If you are going to run with the side panel off, I would urge you to blast a desk fan in there.

And if the symptoms stop with the side panel off, with or without a desk fan blasting into the open side, the problem is not your TIM (thermal interface material). The problem is a lack of air flow through the case. So as mentioned above in post #18, there is no need to replace the TIM unless the cured bond has been broken. Replacing TIM typically only results in a few degrees of improved cooling at best. And as noted above, if you "need" those few degrees to keep from crossing over thermal protection thresholds, you have much greater problems to deal with first - like case cooling.

Last edited:
System Name none
Processor AMD R7 7800X3D
Storage Samsung PM9A1
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) none
Mouse Corsair
Software Windows 11
:(

Actually, running with the side panel off typically is not a good idea, unless the case provides virtually no air flow otherwise.

With the side panel off, the "channel" effect created by the case is nonexistent - there's no desired "flow" of cool air through the case. This create pockets of stagnant air that can build up heat. Not good. If you are going to run with the side panel off, I would urge you to blast a desk fan in there.

And if the symptoms stop with the side panel off and a desk fan blasting into the open side, the problem is not your TIM (thermal interface material). The problem is a lack of air flow through the case. So as mentioned above in post #18, there is no need to replace the TIM unless the cured bond has been broken. Replacing TIM typically only results in a few degrees of improved cooling at best. And as noted above, if you "need" those few degrees to keep from crossing over thermal protection thresholds, you have much greater problems to deal with first - like case cooling.
I respect your opinion. But that is not what I have experienced myself with several systems running currently. My graphics cards create an extreme amount of heat. Too much to have it all closed in no matter what fans or configuration you are using. The best thing to do is to remove the side panel, and let the card breath. Side panel on=81c. Side panel off 72c... no brainer. Fan setup is optimal. So that's not it.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Too much to have it all closed in no matter what fans or configuration you are using

Side panel on=81c. Side panel off 72c... no brainer.
NO! Clearly, your cases were the wrong cases for the job! Or, the person who set up case cooling failed to do it properly! That's the no brainer here.

If you must remove the side panel of your case to keep the components within properly cooled, then that case is NOT doing its job! Period!!!

It is the case's responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. And it is the user's responsibility set up case cooling.

That means it is the user's responsibility to first, select the proper case for the job - one that supports enough fans of the correct size to provide sufficient flow to keep the chosen components properly cooled. And then it is the user's responsibility to also ensure the selected fans have sufficient capacity (CFM), and they are mounted in the correct orientation to produce an adequate flow of cool air through the case.

If a case cannot properly cool the components inside with the side panel on, THE USER FAILED to do his or her job of selecting the right case for the chosen components, or they failed to set up case cooling properly.

So, "IF" those case fans were indeed setup optimally and they still were not creating a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case, then the fans did not have enough CFM capacity, or the case could not support enough fans (or large enough fans) for the components that were chosen to be installed inside. In other words, user error.

System Name none
Processor AMD R7 7800X3D
Storage Samsung PM9A1
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) none
Mouse Corsair
Software Windows 11
NO! Clearly, your cases were the wrong cases for the job! Or, the person who set up case cooling failed to do it properly! That's the no brainer here.

If you must remove the side panel of your case to keep the components within properly cooled, then that case is NOT doing its job! Period!!!

It is the case's responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. And it is the user's responsibility set up case cooling.

That means it is the user's responsibility to first, select the proper case for the job - one that supports enough fans of the correct size to provide sufficient flow to keep the chosen components properly cooled. And then it is the user's responsibility to also ensure the selected fans have sufficient capacity (CFM), and they are mounted in the correct orientation to produce an adequate flow of cool air through the case.

If a case cannot properly cool the components inside with the side panel on, THE USER FAILED to do his or her job of selecting the right case for the chosen components, or they failed to set up case cooling properly.

So, "IF" those case fans were indeed setup optimally and they still were not creating a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case, then the fans did not have enough CFM capacity, or the case could not support enough fans (or large enough fans) for the components that were chosen to be installed inside. In other words, user error.
Sorry but you're wrong. It works great as it is and everything was set up properly. I would know since I did the work and own the stuff. Have a great evening sir.