• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a long term working station.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
If the program used is anything like crunching, then more cores and more speed is a good thing.
All cores and threads can be utilized concurrently.

System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5600x / Intel i5-4200U
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550-Plus / Lenovo MB
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR 3800 / 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6900XT / Intel HD 4400
Storage 2.5TB SSDs + 4TB HDD / Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Display(s) 34" LG Ultrawide / 12.5 " 1080p IPS Touchscreen
Case Fractal Design R6 / Lenovo X240
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 1000W / Lenovo 40W
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Keyboard Dell Business Multimedia Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Chicken Invaders 5 @125+ FPS
Since I am not going SLI, this is what I come up with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T7F2nQ

I want to use the Fractal Design R5 but it is not available from the part picker list. I am also thinking of getting the ASUS Sabertooth X99 instead of the MSI X99.

I will only get one SSD, while recycle my two old WD Black 2TB into my new rig.
You will have problems gaming at 1440p with one 970. Do you have problem with water cooling? That AIO is cheaper and probably better than the noctua. 1050W is a overkill for this system even when overclocked. 750W will be enough for even 2 GPUs + overclocked cpu

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
If the program used is anything like crunching, then more cores and more speed is a good thing.
All cores and threads can be utilized concurrently.
That's because it's running more than one task at once. It's not doing one particular task in parallel, it's doing many in parallel when you're crunching. There is a huge difference between parallelism with multiple tasks and parallelism with a singular task. Both BOINC and F@H work this way (multiple tasks). The individual work units are almost always single-threaded in nature. Cross-thread and cross-process communication can be a huge bottleneck and isn't conducive to serial workloads.

An analogous example would be a web server. Every request is inherently processed concurrently (in some way,) in relation to other requests, however an individual request will almost never utilize more than 1 core at a time. So while a web server benefits from multiple cores, it's not because one request can use more than 1 core. The same can apply to these kinds of workloads. So if you're working on a very specific piece of data, being able to concurrently process data and share state between processes and/or threads is a very tedious task.

So be careful to compare workloads because it's important to realize that crunching doesn't mean a single WU in BOINC for example can use more than 1 thread, but that fact that you're running 8 WUs at once lets you crunch on 8 logical cores simultaneously. The key is that the WUs don't need to talk to each other to do their job. So don't confuse task-level parallelism with process/thread level parallelism. It's not the 8 cores for 8 tasks problem, it's the 8 cores for 1 task problem.
Considering there are many GPU based implementations of sequence alignment algorithms, it means it's probably highly concurrent and probably can use as much cores as you have ... but as you said and it is a good point, one has to be sure before burning money.
Oh yeah, it absolutely can be. The question is, does it work that way and how far out can you go until it doesn't scale anymore? Consider for a moment that the OP has a Core 2 CPU which means the IMC is still on the motherboard. Just upgrading to a modern CPU will give him huge benefits from memory bandwidth and latency alone. I just think a Devil's Canyon CPU might be more beneficial if higher clocks yields better results than more cores as most individual parallel tasks don't scale linearly to more cores, it's usually logarithmic. Additionally, if he wanted a Xeon and ECC memory like I suggested before, a skt1150 workstation would cost a lot less than a skt2011-3 Xeon setup. Those CPUs get very expensive, very quickly.

Last edited:
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
That's because it's running more than one task at once. It's not doing one particular task in parallel, it's doing many in parallel when you're crunching. There is a huge difference between parallelism with multiple tasks and parallelism with a singular task. Both BOINC and F@H work this way. The individual work units are almost always single-threaded in nature. Cross-thread and cross-process communication can be a huge bottleneck and isn't conducive to serial workloads.

An analogous example would be a web server. Every request is inherently processed concurrently (in some way,) in relation to other requests, however an individual request will almost never utilize more than 1 core at a time. So while a web server benefits from multiple cores, it's not because one request can use more than 1 core. The same can apply to these kinds of workloads. So if you're working on a very specific piece of data, being able to concurrently process data and share state between processes and/or threads is a very tedious task.

So be careful to compare workloads because it's important to realize that crunching doesn't mean a single WU in BOINC for example can use more than 1 thread, but that fact that you're running 8 WUs at once lets you crunch on 8 logical cores simultaneously. The key is that the WUs don't need to talk to each other to do their job. So don't confuse task-level parallelism with process/thread level parallelism. It's not the 8 cores for 8 tasks problem, it's the 8 cores for 1 task problem.

Oh yeah, it absolutely can be. The question is, does it work that way and how far out can you go until it doesn't scale anymore? Consider for a moment that the OP has a Core 2 CPU which means the IMC is still on the motherboard. Just upgrading to a modern CPU will give him huge benefits from memory bandwidth and latency alone. I just think a Devil's Canyon CPU might be more beneficial if higher clocks yields better results than more cores as most individual parallel tasks don't scale linearly to more cores, it's usually logarithmic. Additionally, if he wanted a Xeon and ECC memory like I suggested before, a skt1150 workstation would cost a lot less than a skt2011-3 Xeon setup. Those CPUs get very expensive, very quickly.

Techpowerup review said they got it up to 4.6Ghz. Not much more can be expected from a 4790K and it runs cooler

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Techpowerup review said they got it up to 4.6Ghz. Not much more can be expected from a 4790K and it runs cooler

I wouldn't pay extra for a platform because it runs cooler. Also cooler is a relative term. The CPU core might be cooler, but the thermal output of a skt2011-3 CPU is going to be higher under full load. Higher temperature only means that for the same frequency, it can't bleed heat away fast enough. The only explanation for this is the soldered head-spreader on skt2011-3 CPUs versus the thermal paste that's used on 1150. It makes sense since skt2011-3 CPUs tend to have much higher TDPs than skt1150. Also, none of this really should have anything to do with choosing.

If ECC really is something the OP might care about (considering you don't want corrupted memory when doing calculations like this,) then going with a Xeon is hands down, the only way to go since you can't get an i7 that supports ECC memory.

Mouse Razer Basilisk X
I wouldn't pay extra for a platform because it runs cooler. Also cooler is a relative term. The CPU core might be cooler, but the thermal output of a skt2011-3 CPU is going to be higher under full load. Higher temperature only means that for the same frequency, it can't bleed heat away fast enough. The only explanation for this is the soldered head-spreader on skt2011-3 CPUs versus the thermal paste that's used on 1150. It makes sense since skt2011-3 CPUs tend to have much higher TDPs than skt1150. Also, none of this really should have anything to do with choosing.
You said he will trade cores for speed. I am saying that's not the case. He has the budget and said himself that needs the core. He is doing a PHD in that topic so I guess he know what the program needs and can do.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
You said he will trade cores for speed. I am saying that's not the case. He has the budget and said himself that needs the core. He is doing a PHD in that topic so I guess he know what the program needs and can do.
He said he would like 6 cores, not that he wanted to trade speed for more cores. Also without knowing the software he will be using or if he is writing it himself, I wouldn't be so quick to make those assumptions. It's like saying you need a bunch of memory and a quad-core because you're getting into computer science program. I can tell you that more often than not, people over-estimate what they need for school because they mix "what they need" with the fact that you're getting a shiny new toy as the same time.

All I'm saying is that as a developer, I know how much of a bear it is to develop code that will do one task in multiple threads which is why I bring this up. The simple fact is that the more cores you add, the much more unlikely it is that any given task can take advantage of it.

The simple fact is that if you're analyzing a genome, then you're probably talking about a sequence (or stream if you will) of character or symbols which means you're most likely doing some form of serial processing on the data set, while keeping track of variables as you go through the sequence, which is a serial workload. The work that's being done, simply put, has theoretical limits to how parallel it can run as there comes a point when overhead outweighs speedup. Once again, it depends on the kind of workload. I'm trying to not make that assumption, even more so since the OP hasn't said what his (or her) needs really are.

Mouse Razer Basilisk X
He said he would like 6 cores, not that he wanted to trade speed for more cores.
Actually i said:
You said he will trade cores for speed. I am saying that's not the case.
Because:
I just think a Devil's Canyon CPU might be more beneficial if higher clocks yields better results than more cores as most individual parallel tasks don't scale linearly to more cores, it's usually logarithmic.
Which i am saying is not true because both of them overclock to about the same point with the 5820K having 2 extra cores and better heat transfer between the silicon and IHS which makes it easier to cool

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Which i am saying is not true because both of them overclock to about the same point with the 5820K having 2 extra cores and better heat transfer between the silicon and IHS which makes it easier to cool
Yeah, but if he's not using the resources, why invest in a platform that will cost more for memory and the motherboard? skt1150 boards are cheaper than skt2011-3 boards and DDR4 is still more expensive than DDR3. I'm not saying that skt2011-3 won't do the job for him, please understand that. Plus, none of this matters if he thinks ECC memory is going to be important, so in all seriousness, I think without the OP telling us more about the kind of software he will be using or if he is writing it himself along with the kind of operating constraints he has to work within (hence the ECC question), we can say maybe this or maybe that until we're blue in the face but the fact of the matter is that we don't have enough information to make a half-decent recommendation on the best hardware for the job.

I personally think that if he's serious, one of those high-clocked E3 Xeons with some ECC memory would be leaps and bounds beyond what he has now and if more cores are important and they scale to the software he will be using E5 Xeons are an option but they're expensive for the faster CPUs so it's not worth it unless it really does scale since you would be starting with lower clocked CPUs with more cores. So if more cores really is important to him and the software can use something like up to 64 logical threads, it's a lot cheaper now to do dual 2P 6c E5 Xeons as skt2011-3 on the Xeon side no longer has quad-core parts, they start with 6c/6t Xeons now. Once again, ECC DDR4 isn't exactly cheap, but a 2P platform would be better if the code truly scales and if he wanted to upgrade in the future. Once again, this stuff isn't cheap so we need to know exactly what he needs, what the software can utilize, and how far he would want the upgrade path to be able to go and this hardware (the E5s in particular) isn't exactly conducive to gaming (although that might change with the next version of DX).

I'll say it again though: We can't say what would be best without knowing more.

Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Yeah, but if he's not using the resources, why invest in a platform that will cost more for memory and the motherboard? skt1150 boards are cheaper than skt2011-3 boards and DDR4 is still more expensive than DDR3. I'm not saying that skt2011-3 won't do the job for him, please understand that. Plus, none of this matters if he thinks ECC memory is going to be important, so in all seriousness, I think without the OP telling us more about the kind of software he will be using or if he is writing it himself along with the kind of operating constraints he has to work within (hence the ECC question), we can say maybe this or maybe that until we're blue in the face but the fact of the matter is that we don't have enough information to make a half-decent recommendation on the best hardware for the job.

I personally think that if he's serious, one of those high-clocked E3 Xeons with some ECC memory would be leaps and bounds beyond what he has now and if more cores are important and they scale to the software he will be using E5 Xeons are an option but they're expensive for the faster CPUs so it's not worth it unless it really does scale since you would be starting with lower clocked CPUs with more cores. So if more cores really is important to him and the software can use something like up to 64 logical threads, it's a lot cheaper now to do dual 2P 6c E5 Xeons as skt2011-3 on the Xeon side no longer has quad-core parts, they start with 6c/6t Xeons now. Once again, ECC DDR4 isn't exactly cheap, but a 2P platform would be better if the code truly scales and if he wanted to upgrade in the future. Once again, this stuff isn't cheap so we need to know exactly what he needs, what the software can utilize, and how far he would want the upgrade path to be able to go and this hardware isn't exactly conducive to gaming (although that might change with the next version of DX).

I'll say it again though: We can't say what would be best without knowing more.
Don't get me wrong is not that I dont agree that the OP needs to consider if he really needs the extra cores due to the higher cost involved. I am just saying that an overclocked 5820K wont be slower than a 4790K in single threaded applications and if he has the money and willing to spend it, should go for it :)

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Thanks for your concerns about going 2011-v3. I WANT to do it. I can afford to do it. It is not burning money since it will be future proof and make me happy. Those are all the reasons I need to go 5820k.

Oh and I put that gtx970 there as a price place holder. I would rather go for AMD cards

Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Thanks for your concerns about going 2011-v3. I WANT to do it. I can afford to do it. It is not burning money since it will be future proof and make me happy. Those are all the reasons I need to go 5820k.

Oh and I put that gtx970 there as a price place holder. I would rather go for AMD cards
Well the R9 390x is coming soon and should be an awesome card but apparently comes with a WC AIO which i am under the impression you don't want

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Well the R9 390x is coming soon and should be an awesome card but apparently comes with a WC AIO which i am under the impression you don't want

I am open to all options. It is just I have never dealt with water cooling before.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Thank you Aquinus again for your concerns. I WANT 5820K. That is FINAL. I do not want anything less, period. If I were to base my build completely on my needs to do work, I wouldn't even post here. Man is allowed to have some fun to reward himself after all the hardwork.

Plus, Aquinus. We have the the super computer setup over here on campus which employs these hundreds of these 16-core Xeon for pipelining raw genomic data. I leave the most heavy load stuff to these fat nodes on campus.

And back to original discussion. It would be awesome if you can give me some feedback and pictures on that Fractal Design R5.

Also, what is the difference between a sabertooth and a ROG? The rampage V extreme has built in 11ac wireless which sounds really sweet.

Last edited:
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Thank you Aquinus again for your concerns. I WANT 5820K. That is FINAL. I do not want anything less, period. If I were to base my build completely on my needs to do work, I wouldn't even post here. Man is allowed to have some fun to reward himself after all the hardwork.

And back to original discussion. It would be awesome if you can give me some feedback and pictures on that Fractal Design R5.
BTW what do you mean the R5 is not available on partpicker? Here you go a build I would do with the R5

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($228.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($297.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Transcend SSD370 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($175.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($359.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $2027.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-05 16:28 EDT-0400

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
BTW what do you mean the R5 is not available on partpicker? Here you go a build I would do with the R5

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($228.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($297.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Transcend SSD370 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($175.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($359.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $2027.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-05 16:28 EDT-0400

That is strange. When I click "choose chassis" I didn't see any R5 there.

And I am getting some questions here.

1. How good is this LEPA cooler, say in comparison with Noctua D15? Also I have a Noctua C14 cooling my QX9650 right now. Do you think the C14 can handle the new 5820K overclocked?

2. I read that 5820K officially handles up to 2133? So should I go for tighter timing 2133 kits or higher clock 2400 kits?

3. How good is Transcend SSD comparing to Samsung 850EVO? I have a 840Pro in my laptop that that thing is amazing.

4. Is 750Watt really enough? I am thinking of going R9 390X in the future. However I will never go multiple graphic cards.

5. I really need a good recommendation on keyboards. I would love a backlit keyboard.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1

Plus, Aquinus. We have the the super computer setup over here on campus which employs these hundreds of these 16-core Xeon for pipelining raw genomic data. I leave the most heavy load stuff to these fat nodes on campus.

Also, what is the difference between a sabertooth and a ROG? The rampage V extreme has built in 11ac wireless which sounds really sweet.
I won't dispute that. It's your money and you can do with it what you want. I only suggest that going with the 5820k won't feel any different than a quad core if you have the crunching resources handy on campus as there really is no reason to have a 6 core CPU as no software can truly take advantage of that outside particular use cases. I just want you to be sure that you understand how much more you're paying for skt2011-3 over skt1150. For features that probably won't do you much good, it's quite the mark up. That's all I'm saying.

All in all, if you're doing a lot of this because you want to, the 5820k is a good choice IMHO. Just realize you're paying extra for new technology that's not exactly faster than cheaper alternatives. Having a family, student loans, and new a new car loan, I think carefully about my purchasing decisions so I treat the way I look at building computers in a similar way.
2. I read that 5820K officially handles up to 2133? So should I go for tighter timing 2133 kits or higher clock 2400 kits?
It probably would handle well over 3000Mhz memory TBH.
3. How good is Transcend SSD comparing to Samsung 850EVO? I have a 840Pro in my laptop that that thing is amazing.
The Samsung is probably faster by benchmark standards, but you probably would notice very little difference in real world usage.
4. Is 750Watt really enough? I am thinking of going R9 390X in the future. However I will never go multiple graphic cards.
I don't use more than 550-watts with my rig with two 6870s. Trust me when I say 850-watt is enough for most dual-GPU solutions.
5. I really need a good recommendation on keyboards. I would love a backlit keyboard.
I like my Rosewill RK-9100. It's a mechanical keyboard with cherry mx blue switches. This post was typed on it and it's a pleasure to use. It has a heavy duty USB cable, has a USB 2.0 hub built in and has blue back lighting.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
I won't dispute that. It's your money and you can do with it what you want. I only suggest that going with the 5820k won't feel any different than a quad core if you have the crunching resources handy on campus as there really is no reason to have a 6 core CPU as no software can truly take advantage of that outside particular use cases. I just want you to be sure that you understand how much more you're paying for skt2011-3 over skt1150. For features that probably won't do you much good, it's quite the mark up. That's all I'm saying.

All in all, if you're doing a lot of this because you want to, the 5820k is a good choice IMHO. Just realize you're paying extra for new technology that's not exactly faster than cheaper alternatives. Having a family, student loans, and new a new car loan, I think carefully about my purchasing decisions so I treat the way I look at building computers in a similar way.

Oh yeah I feel you there with all those loans. Good thing is I got out of my bachelor's degree debt free. Living on ramen and salad was not pleasant at all. I don't have a car any more and I don't plan to have one. Having a good solid PC as my companion for the next 5~7yrs of PhD life means I lot to me so I would like to invest this much. I built my current PC back in 2007. Back then I also had lots of people telling me a Core 2 with 4GB of RAM was more than enough for my need. Well I went straight for a Q6600 and 8GB of RAM. Over the years I upgraded to a second hand QX9650 and I cannot be happier with my choice. This old X38 rig has proven to be future proof for the past 7yrs. This is another reason I am shooting for the X99 platform this time around.

Thanks again for your input!

Mouse Razer Basilisk X
1. How good is this LEPA cooler, say in comparison with Noctua D15? Also I have a Noctua C14 cooling my QX9650 right now. Do you think the C14 can handle the new 5820K overclocked?
According to purchase reviews the LEPA is better than the H100 which in turn is better than the D15 with dual fans. Check the review here:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2014/05/01/noctua-nh-d15-review/2
In all honesty you will notice little to no performance difference between different ram speed so I would go with what's the cheapest. The 5820K will handle 2400 kits no problem
You wont notice any performance difference in real world usage, maybe have slower results in benchmarks. The SSD370 is a good value SSD with the best price / GB out there and it's rated at 550TBW vs 150TBW of the samsung so that's a clear win in my world
Short of maybe a 295x2 you will be able to run any single card out there
Can't help you here. never used one :)

Reactions: xvi

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
Look at the corsair k95. Should be good!

Processor Intel i5 4440
Motherboard Asus H81
Cooling RAIJINTEK Rhea
Memory 2 x 4GB Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA nVidia GTX 970 SC 4GB
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 Evo, Seagate 1TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 23" 1080p 120Hz
Case Bitfenix Pandora M-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DGX
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80 Plus
Software Windows 10 64bit
I would recommend the build that krusha03 recommended. 750w is easily enough got that CPU overclocked and a single gpu and then some.

I disagree with him regarding the 970 though, will easily game at 1440p. I'm using a 970 on a 4k screen and gaming easily.

Unless you plan to push the cpu to it's very limits, I would go for the Noctua cooler over water cooling. Will still allow for a decent overclock and will represent less problems in the long run.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
OK lowered my PSU down to 900~950Watt. This will probably free up some money for me to get a slightly better monitor.

Thanks for the keyboard suggestions!

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
ADATA are a good brand, although I'm not sure DDR4 has been out long enough to do any serious testing on any brand.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
ADATA are a good brand, although I'm not sure DDR4 has been out long enough to do any serious testing on any brand.

So DDR4-2800, 32GB at a price below 300 dollars. Good deal or no?