1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with XFI card

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by meran, May 20, 2011.

1. meran

Thanks Received:
    hi guys ,i have an old pci creative xfi fatal1ty recently i added a second graphic card and i cant use it between then since the upper card fan will be blocked

i have creative G500 progamer 5.1 speakers (analogue)

my friend have xfi titanium (pcie) would it be a downgrade because i really love good sound quality

and if i want to buy a new card what's the best choice.

thanks

2. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
  3. lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    The pci-e card has a higher bandwidth delivered to it, and doesn't have to play second fiddle should anything else be installed on the same bus. I do not see this as a "downgrade," and assuming that the receiver you are using has spdif copper or spdif fiber this will be a substantial improvement.

That said, they do make pci extender cables: http://www.google.com/#q=pci+extender+cable&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=lWLWTcP2B5Kjtgf1pu21Bw&sqi=2&ved=0CE0QrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=5e27d1ad3c49e46b&biw=1345&bih=583.

Native pci will be killed off in the next generation of intel mobos, and amd may well follow the trend. This may be an excellent time to swith to pci-e. This said, there are reports of people who have driver issues with the titanium. I have not had any (installed two), but there is a possibility.

4. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Don't agree with adupter idea, i see go with titanum, anyway pci slot going to disapear in new motherboards

5. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i will just by a "PCI-E Riser x1 Flex-Cabel" i am going to buy a x4 for my Auzentech Bravura 7.1 PCI-E x1 card in my PCI-E x4 opened slot on my Asus Maximus III Gene soon ^^

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. meran

Thanks Received:
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    If you're a gamer, then no (check X-Fi Forte instead). But if you are just an occasional gamer, then it should be fine.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. meran

Thanks Received:
    well im leaning to the meridian 2g this thing looks like a beast what you think? i will throw my crossfire plans for this or get an adapter:D

9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with the native PCIE thing - it's practically eliminated the possibility of audio clipping from the card not having access to the SYS BUS for a long enough period of time . . . it can move so much more info per clock cycle on PCIE.

As to audio quality - the Titanium as actually just slightly higher than the older PCI Fatal1ty cards. The majority of the output stream PCB architecture is the same - it's really only the SYS input that's different (from the BUS to the APU). There's been some slight revisions to the PCB components used (i.e. capcitors, mosfets, chokes) which have slightly improved output quality, but the key PCB components (DAC, OPAMPs, ADC, etc.) are the same.

If you're up for some actual modding - simply replacing the OPAMPs on the cards has quite a noticeable affect, and shows through in testing as well. Dig deep into the heart of the X-Fi support thread (check the link in my sig), where I've posted software-based testing of output quality after some mods have been performed on a Fatal1ty (still haven't taken the soldering gun to the Titanium, yet :p ).

:toast:

meran says thanks.
  10. gaximodo

gaximodo

Thanks Received:
    try Creative titanium HD, best card I've owned, seriously, way better than any Auzentech I've owned, including fort and prelude.

11. meran

Thanks Received:
    the problem it doesnt have 5.1 analogue output