• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help : X1900XT cooled with Mach II GT does not work!

passionne

Hello,

I installed my ASUS X1900XT and cooled it with a Mach II GT and I have the following problem : the PC boots normally, the screen is displayed but as soon as the Mach II head temperature reaches about -40°C, the screen becomes light blue. In the Catalyst 6.2, the temperature indicated was 120°C, probably a bug temperature when it is too low.

Then when I waited a few quarters and restarted the PC, the graphic card worked but the phenomenon happened again.

For the insulation, I was very careful : nail varnish, seal string and neoprene or dielectric grease all over the graphic card and on the motherboard DFI Lan Party nF4 SLI-D.

I switched of the 2 following ATI services : ATI Smart and ATI Hotkey.

So, is it the cold bug which affects my card in particular ? Or a driver bug ?

I would appreciate your help very much.

Thanks.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
there is a driver bug + the card cant go that low .. try around -20 to -30 °C

D

Dynamic

Dude that is some KILLER temps on that BEAST! Don't go crazy overclocking it, because a $600 dollar video card killed is a NO NO.....

passionne

Unfortunately, I cannot choose the Mach II GT head temperature.

But on nordichardware site, they managed to cool a X1900XTX with nitrogen and the temperature was below -40°C.

D

Dynamic

I've noticed Phase cooling and nitrogen on these new R580 with crazy overclocks, but not sure what the deal is with your setup? If there is a bug in the drivers, they must of tweaked something to get rid of it, don't you think?

Note:BTW, that is a nice system you got there. Got the same board, but modified instead of the old NF4-D that i have. Have you overclocked anything related to CPU/RAM as of yet? That OCZ kit you got there a P.E. or GOLD Edition? You might be able to overclock that bad boy to around 260+.

passionne

Dynamic said:
I've noticed Phase cooling and nitrogen on these new R580 with crazy overclocks, but not sure what the deal is with your setup? If there is a bug in the drivers, they must of tweaked something to get rid of it, don't you think?

Note:BTW, that is a nice system you got there. Got the same board, but modified instead of the old NF4-D that i have. Have you overclocked anything related to CPU/RAM as of yet? That OCZ kit you got there a P.E. or GOLD Edition? You might be able to overclock that bad boy to around 260+.

Only the Catalyst 6.2 are said to be compatible with the X1900 series. So, if my problem is caused by this driver version, I won't be able to solve it.

I already overclocked the CPU and RAM with the mach II GT : I obtained 3000 Mhz on an AMD X2 4400+ and the RAM OCZ ran at 255 Mhz, with a divider. Unfortunately, in November, I had a condensation problem and the motherboard and the OCZ Powerstream 600 W were dead, due to a short-circuit. So, now, I insulate the maximum as soon as I use the Mach II GT.

If I finally manage to solve the problem with the X1900XT, I may buy a second Mach II GT for the CPU.

D

Dynamic

That's good to know and good luck with your toys. You did have WARRANTY on those two components that short-circuited right? If not, may we say our prayers.....

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
as i was told most x1xxx cards have a cold bug on the stock bios, might wana try the same bios as the nordichardware guys, shoot them an email and see what they say about it.

ivaj

Why have you done that? x1900xt is not enough?, do you realy need to do this kind of experiments? I had bad experiences with water cooling and I will never try again to do experiments with expensive hardware, when I see photos with a lot of pipes going up and down of computers I remenber mi "worst live experience".

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ivaj said:
Why have you done that? x1900xt is not enough?, do you realy need to do this kind of experiments? I had bad experiences with water cooling and I will never try again to do experiments with expensive hardware, when I see photos with a lot of pipes going up and down of computers I remenber mi "worst live experience".

This is not water cooling, this is one of the best phase change coolers around, but he has to be very careful with condensation though...

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
but he has to be very careful with condensation though...
luckily witha vga card, gravity helps a bit lol granted his case doesn't flip the mainboard. but most people who can afford the mach2 will take the time to read up on it before applying it, I doubt it's the first time he's mounted one lol.

passionne

yogurt_21 said:
as i was told most x1xxx cards have a cold bug on the stock bios, might wana try the same bios as the nordichardware guys, shoot them an email and see what they say about it.

It is a good idea. I contacted them and I am waiting for a feedback.

ivaj

Yes I know it's a phase change cooler, Is for consensation I think Is more dangerous than water, phase cooling + bad isolation = uncontrolable water, and water killed my mother board :cry: :cry:
Good Luck.