• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need some explanation

keman

Hello,

I'm wondering how different are TPL settings vs FIVR "disable and lock turbo power limits", using latest beta, it shows my memory speed above fivr "disable and lock turbo power limits", does it mean it applies only to my memory?, very confusing. I've scattered the internet about it so much just to avoid creating an account here, but sadly couldn't find an exact explanation.

I can use only TPL module to configure my power limits, but maybe i miss something by not disabling/enabling the FIVR option?
Also should I press turn on or not? What it does actually?
Tech savy explanation also is very welcome.

My goal is just to tweak a bit around tdp. Because in some cases it's too high and in some it's way too low, like double, it's either manufacturers mistake or a design flaw. I mean for what godly reason it power throttles 15W cpu, with appropriate cooling for 15W to 8W. Just randomly and makes it constant, temperatures 40 - 50 C full load under 8W..... Simple shutdown helps, but it starts doing the same randomly, sometimes after sleep, sometimes after charging, it's quiet unpredictable. But it boosts itself to 22W for short periods of time when it works correctly. I mean I see no logic here. But good luck making them solve the problem, it's hp business laptop, latest bios and firmware and drivers..... ThrottleStop solves the problem.

Respect to the Developer.

I lied, it still throttles...probably I need a bios mod, what I was afraid of.....

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
You bring up a good question. Intel CPUs have 3 sets of unique turbo power limits. There is the main set of turbo power limits that can be controlled and adjusted in the TPL window. There is a secondary set of turbo power limits that can be disabled and locked by checking the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option in the FIVR window. There is also a third set of turbo power limits that only some manufacturers use. Luckily, many manufacturers leave this third set of power limits disabled. That is a good thing because ThrottleStop does not have any access to this third set of power limits. At this point, you have to start looking at other tricks to work around this limitation. Dell and HP like to use the EC to force hard power limits onto many of their laptops.
by not disabling/enabling the FIVR option?
A CPU does not need multiple sets of overlapping turbo power limits, all in competition with each other. I recommend that you always use the Disable and Lock option. That can help prevent any random changes for only God knows what reason. Some manufacturers have all sorts of bizarre power limit throttling schemes lurking in the shadows. Avoid as many of them as you can. They are not necessary.
it shows my memory speed
I recently just figured out a way to calculate the DDR speed so I just randomly threw this info into the FIVR window where I had some extra space. My apologies for the confusion. I like to know what speed my memory is running at without having to open CPU-Z. I will probably leave that info there until I can think of a better place to display it.
it's either manufacturers mistake or a design flaw.
Usually a bit of both.
I see no logic here.
Me neither. That is why I wrote ThrottleStop. I thought it would be a good idea to give users some control over manufacturer's half baked ideas. It is like the people that design and build laptops never have to sit down and actually use their creation for a week or two. Many laptops are miserable to use due to poor design. High temperatures, high fan speeds or variable fan speeds that are constantly ramping up and down, power limits and performance jumping up and down like a Yo-yo for no apparent reason. You constantly shake your head and wonder, what were they thinking.
ThrottleStop solves the problem
That is what I like to hear. ThrottleStop cannot solve every problem out there but it has been able to solve quite a few. It can turn a miserable laptop into something that is almost a pleasure to use. It helps bring out the best on my desktop computer too. High performance, low power consumption and noise. That keeps people my age happy.

Respect to the Developer.
Thanks for the feedback.