• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New built pc cpu overheating

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
In a space with forced airflow, MOST of the heat goes where you tell it. If heat is rising it’s because you don’t have enough airflow to exhaust it.
this is exactly why top exhaust fans work more efficiently.
I never suggested mounting fans on the bottom (the 4000D airflow doesn’t even support this configuration)
I never said you did. Although its dated 2011, the bottom-up concept didnt exactly take hold, however, I'd like to see more bottom-up airflow designs even tho it wont happen, aesthetics and all. We wont stop seeing case manufacturers insisting on restricting front intake flow with decorative front panels (glass panels, etc..). At least until they get fed up with negative reviews.

Last edited:
Processor ryzen 5600x
Motherboard MSI b550m wifi Mortar
Memory 16gb Ballistix 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming rx580 8gb
Storage Kingston 480gb SSD
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech g403
Keyboard Razer Cyanosa Chroma

I never said you did. Although its dated 2011, the bottom-up concept didnt exactly take hold, however, I'd like to see more bottom-up airflow designs even tho it wont happen, aesthetics and all. We wont stop seeing case manufacturers insisting on restricting front intake flow with decorative front panels (glass panels, etc..). At least until they get fed up with negative reviews.
That's one of the reasons I chose the Corsair 4000D Airflow.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
I checked and this one doesn't come with a plastic cover. It only came witht he pre applied thermal paste.

does this make sense to anyone? how do you package and ship a heat sink with thermal paste pre-applied without foreign debris getting stuck in the paste?! The film that is applied over the paste to keep it clean prior to installation. not having a peel film on it sounds really odd to me. edit: not to mention the mess that would be made with the paste getting stuck onto other surfaces in the packaging

Processor ryzen 5600x
Mouse Logitech g403
does this make sense to anyone? how do you package and ship a heat sink with thermal paste pre-applied without foreign debris getting stuck in the paste?! The film that is applied over the paste to keep it clean prior to installation. not having a peel film on it sounds really odd to me. edit: not to mention the mess that would be made with the paste getting stuck onto other surfaces in the packaging
When I read your post I thought maybe mine didn't come with a film, but then I checked youtube and confirmed that it didn't come with a film.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
When I read your post I thought maybe mine didn't come with a film, but then I checked youtube and confirmed that it didn't come with a film.

thermal paste should be like....paste. very pliable and sticky. how on earth did that not get stuck all over the packaging? if it is stiff or hardened at all that could be influencing your issues with high temps. dried out paste does a poor job of transferring the heat from the chip to the heat sink.

glad you checked to make sure you didn't leave a film cover on the heat sink and it actually doesn't come with one. but now I would really question the quality of said heat sink if the manufacturer doesn't bother to spend less than pennies on pieces of film to cover the thermal paste lol

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
I own an FT02 and have tested myself — with fixed fan speeds I get the same temps whether my case is standing up, upside down, or rotated horizontally. Removed the exhaust fan — same results...

Please follow that Puget Systems link. The phenomena you are discussing simply doesn’t happen in cases because the hot air is moved out of the chassis before it gains buoyancy to “rise.” There is no room for natural convection because the hot air is pushed before it has a chance to rise...

From the review, here’s some math:
Let's do a thought experiment to see what we would expect in terms of the bouyancy of hot air inside a chassis, and how that relates to the air pushed by a typical 120mm fan. We'll use an average room temperature of 20C (68F). In our thermal testing, under load with maximum temperatures, we saw chassis panels around 40C average. Let's round it up to 50C so we're sure to give convection the biggest advantage possible. Heck, let's double the average air temperature difference measured, and use 60C.

Density of air at 20C: 1.2041 kg/m^3
Density of air at 60C: 1.067 kg/m^3
Bouyancy of 60C air in 20C air: 0.1371 kg/m^3

A P183 chassis is 0.04 cubic meters in internal volume. Therefore, if you fill an Antec P183 chassis with 60C air, and surrounding air is 20C, the air inside the P183 would have a bouyancy equivalent to the weight of 5.484 grams. That's about the weight of two pennies. How does that translate into air pressure across a top 120mm fan? The column of air coming into play has an air volume of 0.00576 m^3, creating a bouyancy of .79 grams over the fan's area of 144 cm^2. That translates to 0.0054861 grams/cm^2, or 0.54861 mmH20 (the standard unit of measurement for fan static pressure).

That's about half the pressure put out by our Antec TriCool fans on their lowest setting. That means that even one of the lowest pressure, quietest fans that we sell, would *double* the pressure necessary to overcome the air pressure caused by convection, in the hottest scenario we can imagine. And this was after doubling the average air temperature increases we actually measured. When using a 40C average air temperature, an Antec TriCool fan on low setting has 4x the pressure necessary to overcome convection. Given the results of this thought experiment, the results of our emperical testing are making a lot more sense. Convection, while a strong concept in thought, simply does not generate the results necessary to play a discernible role in a typical chassis.

Puget’s test demonstrates this in two ways. First a thermal imaging camera that shows no heat rising in either a bottom-up case (FT02) or in a traditional horizontal layout (Antec P183).

Second, they compare the actual temps at load in both chassis when rotated to an opposite layout. When flipped they perform exactly the same...

All of this demonstrates that whether airflow is commiserate with gravity or not makes no difference in a PC chassis..

Go ahead — test it yourself! I don’t mind being wrong but all of my experience, the exhaustive experience of Mike Chin and Puget building thousands of noise-optimized workstations and playing with ducts and anemometers and thermal imaging etc, and Corsair’s case designers suggests otherwise, FWIW :shrug:

Edit: Added Puget’s theoretical explanation

Last edited:
Processor ryzen 5600x
Mouse Logitech g403
thermal paste should be like....paste. very pliable and sticky. how on earth did that not get stuck all over the packaging? if it is stiff or hardened at all that could be influencing your issues with high temps. dried out paste does a poor job of transferring the heat from the chip to the heat sink.

glad you checked to make sure you didn't leave a film cover on the heat sink and it actually doesn't come with one. but now I would really question the quality of said heat sink if the manufacturer doesn't bother to spend less than pennies on pieces of film to cover the thermal paste lol
It actually was sticky, I know because I got some in one of my fingers. I think the plastic cover is placed in a way that it leaves a small gap between the plastic and the cpu fan. What is strange is that as you mentioned it doesn't harden in the package.

System Name Self-built
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS Prime B550 Plus
Cooling Scythe FUMA 2 + various case fans
Memory 16GB: Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 at 3800C16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Eagle RTX3070
Storage 2x WD Black m.2 nvme 1TB, WD HDD 6TB, Crucial 750MX300,
Display(s) LG 27GN950
Case DeepCool E-Shield
Audio Device(s) Int: RealTek ALC892, NVidia GA104 HD Ext: LG 27GN950, Behringer DEQ2496, DCX2496, A500. etc
Power Supply Seasonic Core GM-650SRM
Software Linux Mint + Windows11 pro
Benchmark Scores Not worthy of attention
Fans.JPG

Here's a pic of my case with a Fuma 2: I've installed a flat plate (bar) that separates a top (warmer) chamber, from a lower (cooler) chamber (and is also held up by a graphics card support). The Front Top fan, Rear fan and Fuma 2 are linked to the CPU temps (in BIOS), and the Front Bottom, Top Rear fans are linked to the RTX3070's temperature through a utility (Argus Monitor) that over-rides their BIOS settings.

In this way, whether I'm cpu-bound or gpu-bound, I have a set of input and output fans to deal with the heat build-ups.
The cpu rarely gets past 63C, the gpu past 65C (and I've run a LOT of benchmarks). I find Blender is the most stressful of these benchmarks: 'bmw' is quite light-weight, 'fishy-cat' middle-weight, and 'koro' heavy-weight. I tune the system to survive koro.

The 3070 is the big heat generator here, and outputs most of its heat horizontally 'towards the glass'. The bar prevents this heat flowing downwards, and forces everything upwards (where it naturally wants to go anyway).

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
even with high ambient temp, and crap cooler, the chip shouldnt be at 90C while gaming - stress test sure, but you should be ~20C lower as gaming uses like 50%-70% of the cpu.

90C while gaming is in the "something is not making contact" category of temperatures. Reset the cooler, repaste if possible.

D

Deleted member 205776

even with high ambient temp, and crap cooler, the chip shouldnt be at 90C while gaming - stress test sure, but you should be ~20C lower as gaming uses like 50%-70% of the cpu.

90C while gaming is in the "something is not making contact" category of temperatures. Reset the cooler, repaste if possible.
This.

Reseat the cooler -- I had 90C temps in AIDA64 when I installed my NH-D15 incorrectly, by not screwing it in all the way. Reseated it and screwed it in until the screws stopped turning, never going past 80C in AIDA now.

Processor ryzen 5600x
Mouse Logitech g403
This.

Reseat the cooler -- I had 90C temps in AIDA64 when I installed my NH-D15 incorrectly, by not screwing it in all the way. Reseated it and screwed it in until the screws stopped turning, never going past 80C in AIDA now.
I’ve done this twice now, without repasting but still having the same temps. I’m getting a fuma 2 next week so I’m going to have to repaste with that.

D

Deleted member 205776

I’ve done this twice now, without repasting but still having the same temps. I’m getting a fuma 2 next week so I’m going to have to repaste with that.
Expect lower temps, but not by a lot. Zen 2 and above use the thermal headroom to boost higher.