• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Takers for VR: TechPowerUp New GPU Survey

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Honestly, your 3rd titan X is a much bigger waste of money. For most of us computer entirely (including GPU's and whatnot) is an entertainment unit => A TOY. I buy new bigger and better displays and new more powerful GPU's just for entertainment purpose only. The programming and work part I could do on a NUC with big enough 100$ display for that matter.
So whining here about VR being a 600/800$ toy is seriously weird.

The first Titan X would be a waste of money for me, but I wouldn't dare tell him what is (or isn't) a waste of money for him.

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
I find running 3 Titan X's on The Division @ 4k a nice substantial boost over 2 way putting my FPS in the 100s compared to dipping into the 40s from 60-70ish. Wouldn't call it 100% of a waste, and I also like to benchmark quite a bit as a hobby which does use 100% of my GPUs.

It's a use case scenario. By definition of toy I mean something that's cool to play with for a few then put it in the closet because there isn't much other use to it, like most kids do with toys they're bored with. Make sense now? I turn my PC on and use it quite literally every day for hours, and one Titan X gets used at work quite a bit. The DK2 and in time CV1/Vive sit on the floor next to my desk until I decide I want to use it. Now, take the other half of my post you decided to gloss over to make sense of what I said and the POINT of the post. Some people would rather utilize that disposable income for something more worthwhile. It's not whining about cost, it's that it's a trinket that you get bored with quite easily because there isn't a ton to do with it right now. The like of which most people here are afraid of spending 600/800 on. Something that might become defunct later on which is a possibility because it is such a niche product and will be for quite some time if it doesn't catch on with mainstream pricing. I don't mind playing with expensive toys and admitting I may have wasted money on something. Others don't share that same thought process, or may prioritize their money to other areas. Some might not even be able to afford the cost of VR at the early adopter's rate. Just because YOU can doesn't mean others can, and in that case might not share the same gungho enthusiasm as you.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Modern retail VR is essentially just another peripheral device.

How many people here have a Fury X which cost about ~$650 USD?

How many people here have a GTX 980 Ti which cost about ~$600 USD (give or take)?

How many of you have one of the above cards or similar running in SLI / Xfire,....?

How many people here have a lower end card set running in SLI / Xfire like a GTX 760,....?

How many people here have multiple monitors like a triple monitor setup?

How many people here have one or more 4K displays?

All of this cost money and I see no reason to look at modern VR as an undue expense with respect to gaming when looking at some of the hardware people in these forums are sporting. Having said all that, I try to reserve judgment on VR until I have had a chance to have a proper firsthand experience with it. When I say that I mean production / retail hardware not some unfinished prototype DK1. Making any kind of definitive decision based on zero experience or unfinished hardware is questionable at best.

With that in mind, there are or there will be retail locations where people can test out the various modern VR offerings:

HTC Now Offering Live Vive Demos in Microsoft Stores, Gamestop Locations NationWide

[URL='http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/oculus-rift-will-be-in-stores-long-before-many-pre-orders-are-fulfilled/']Oculus Rift will be in stores long before many pre-orders are fulfilled [/url]

Sony will let you sample PlayStation VR months before October launch

https://live.oculus.com/

Just a little heads up on the live.oculus link. When I first heard about it (May 2nd) there were a few available time slots in my area but I opted not to go through the trouble of scheduling a demo. Today there are "NO" available appointment slots in my area (preferred location anyway) until May 26th,.........which is what I thought would happen.

There is no doubt that there are a lot of people interested in the tech and trying it for themselves (whether they intend to spend money on it now or not).

Personally I kind of want to go try it just so I can see something like this :)

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
that little girl is actually the best advertiser for those toys!

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Tried to post a reply in here last night but the site had errors, I look at VR like the GPU people are trying to sell us a side move and off set the reason new cards will be a let down. Like when they released 3D for the third time in my life, and they use it to tell us this is what we really need.

The PC is circling the bowl drain, edging closer to the vortex

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Tried to post a reply in here last night but the site had errors, I look at VR like the GPU people are trying to sell us a side move and off set the reason new cards will be a let down. Like when they released 3D for the third time in my life, and they use it to tell us this is what we really need.

The PC is circling the bowl drain, edging closer to the vortex

I cannot fathom how can a video card be good for VR and at the same time unable to sustain 4k gaming. Because if you're doing VR @720p, you're going to see a lot of pixels up close.

But we disagree on the future of the PC ;)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
that little girl is actually the best advertiser for those toys!
That's a married woman (note the ring on finger) and watching that video bored me. I quit half way through.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Just showcased VR to my entire department. Out of the 20 faculties and postdocs who gave it try, 4 decided to purchase Vive right away, It is something that you have to try to like it.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Just showcased VR to my entire department. Out of the 20 faculties and postdocs who gave it try, 4 decided to purchase Vive right away, It is something that you have to try to like it.

Exactly my thoughts.

I remember when 4K was first rolling out. Youtube video streams demoing 4K hardware or 4K video streams viewed by people using 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 monitors doesn't convey the experance faithfully at all. Therefore they have little to no frame of reference unless they have actually used the hardware. People can say a 4K monitor is too expensive on its own or that the GPU horse power needed to push 4K is too costly or whatever. None of this means that a better or a singularly unique experience wouldn't be had if all the requirements have been adequately addressed.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
None of this means that a better or a singularly unique experience wouldn't be had if all the requirements have been adequately addressed.
Not every one is prepared to pay for the cost premium of being an early adopter
lots of people are cautious and are not prepared to potentially waste Money on Tech that is not yet proven and Viable ( as in ongoing support )
you only have to look at the SALES Debacle that Was 3D TV
Where is the media Content For 3D That was Promised ( A Few Part time 3 D channels don't count ).

Give it a FEW YEARS to Establish a PROVEN Track Record.

EDIT

Did you buy into
Cybermaxx (1994)
The Cybermaxx was the fresh new sibling to the Stuntmaster. It came with full solid head tracking, a stereoscopic 3d display in the form of two 0.7″ color active matrix LCD screens, and was priced at under $699.00. There were also a fair few games to be played on the Cybermaxx, such as Doom II, Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein, to name a few. Although this seemed like a good formula for a Virtual Reality headset at the time, the Cybermaxx still failed to gain any real traction, and ultimately failed to take off.

or
VFX-1 (1995)
The VFX-1 was arguably the most stand out Virtual Reality product of the early era. It was developed by Forte Technologies Inc who premiered the VFX-1 as its first product in 1995. It retailed at $695, putting it nicely under $1,000, which was dramatically cheaper than some of the professional Virtual Reality headsets available at the time.

The device consisted of three main components, the headset, a hand held controller call the CyberPuck and an ISA interface card called the VIP board. The VIP board was the heart of the operation, and was used to route the data between the three of the devices. In total the head gear weighed 2 1/2 lbs, and adopted a virtual orientation system that used the earth’s magnetic field to track movement, similar to a compass. a downside to this was that the device had to be kept and away from large metal objects, and had to calibrated for a user’s specific geographical location.

To play texture mapped games you would have needed a pentium II processor, and good few megabytes of ram. Although most PC games didn’t offer support for the headset, and required additional drivers to be installed, like head tracking and stereoscopic 3d.

All said and done though, this may have been by far the best Virtual Reality Headset of the time, but still didn’t manage to hit the ground running. This may have been due to the limitations of graphics during this time. Which is something that could probably said for the entire spectrum of Virtual Reality in the 90’s. The idea’s, and science fiction dreams of Tron like Virtual interactions, may have been running too fast for the technology to keep up. So are we at a time now where the technology has caught up with the dreams of Virtual interaction?

Last edited:
Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
I'm not really sure what your on about. The landfills are full of failed technology. I never heard of the tech you are referring to but past failures aren't necessarily an indication of future ones. For example, there were a number of failed computers that were designed for the home market (to open the market of the PC to home use) that never took off. That doesn't mean those early failures were prophetic because they weren't,.....clearly. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

The modern VR movement has its issues to be sure. That doesn't necessarily mean anything though.

I'll say this, when I was kid I wanted a ColecoVision Adam computer expansion unit but never got it. In some ways this might have been one of the worst computers ever made for the early (circa 1980) home computer market and it wasn't cheap either. Early production issues, a jump in the reported release price and more lead to it ruining ColecoVision which ran out of business a few years later IIRC.

However, I have recently found that there is an Adam movement and some people actually still use these things. Try and buy a complete ColecoVision Adam system on e-Bay and you might be looking at ~$1500 USD (for a ~33 year old computer that cost ~$700 when new (adjustment for inflation not calculated)).

My point is, none of the history behind the Adma means that I wouldn't have gotten a lot out of it had I been able to acquire one despite it being defunct early in its life cycle (like many people who still cherish this peace of American history).

Having said that I have not ordered an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift. I'd like to but I'm not sure that I will. I have ordered the Sony PlayStation VR as a gift for my kids just like the PS4 was a gift for them. I consider it a toy and I hope they like it. If I like it too then bonus. I'm not expecting the world from it and it didn't break the bank at ~$400 USD especially around the holiday season.

Exactly my thoughts.

I remember when 4K was first rolling out. Youtube video streams demoing 4K hardware or 4K video streams viewed by people using 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 monitors doesn't convey the experance faithfully at all. Therefore they have little to no frame of reference unless they have actually used the hardware. People can say a 4K monitor is too expensive on its own or that the GPU horse power needed to push 4K is too costly or whatever. None of this means that a better or a singularly unique experience wouldn't be had if all the requirements have been adequately addressed.

In my case it was about 4k monitor framerates, else I would have got one late 2014 when putting together my current system. I got a 144Hz 1440p one instead. The decision was also due to having read somewhere that the jump in visual quality from 1080p to 1440p is noticable greater than from 1440p to 4K. I guess that with my eyes this is very likely true.

Interesting... Only 7% wants efficiency from a new card.
But when it comes to nvidia vs amd battle the only thing nvidia fans can say is heat and power efficiency on Nvidia side...
And what most people want according to the poll doesn't matter.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
My problem with VR is the lack of standardization. There's two standards already in the works: Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. If some standard isn't established, it's going to turn into the sound card and display card fiasco of the 1990s where specific games only worked the way they were meant to work with specific hardware.

Khronos is in a good position to create an unifying API and so is Microsoft. Until there is an unifying API, I can't see VR as a good investment.

Think of how useful those HD-DVD players are these days. Rift and/or Vive are in danger of becoming the same.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Think of how useful those HD-DVD players are these days. Rift and/or Vive are in danger of becoming the same.

That is a a very good point. When the HD disc war between HD DVD and Blu-Ray was going on I bought a hybrid LG burner that supported both standards.

Your point is well taken though. When I pre-ordered the Sony PlayStation VR I was thinking, "what happens to this thing when Sony moves on to a new gaming platform?". Generally speaking such devices like the eye camera or controllers get updated with the new platform and you cannot reuse them when you upgrade.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I think Sony has a standard for Sony and they'll likely stick to it. Of the three major players, PlayStation VR is the least risky but it is also the least rewarding (low end hardware by comparison). What will be interesting is if Sony creates a driver to run PlayStation VR on Windows so it becomes the cheap alternative to Vive and Rift and an easy port for game developers. Sony hasn't cared about Windows in the past (e.g. Dual Shock support) so I think that is a long shot. If Sony did make a move, it could quickly become the standard for VR simply because of its accessibility.

My problem with VR is the lack of standardization. There's two standards already in the works: Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. If some standard isn't established, it's going to turn into the sound card and display card fiasco of the 1990s where specific games only worked the way they were meant to work with specific hardware.

Khronos is in a good position to create an unifying API and so is Microsoft. Until there is an unifying API, I can't see VR as a good investment.

If you browse through the selection of VR games on the Steam store you'll see that many of them run on both vive and rift. They should easy transfer over to newcomers, too. The bulk of the coding already adheres to API standards. Where new API standardization is needed is for input sensors only. Then it is a competition for the best immersive graphical fidelity in similar fashion to the best graphics performance between AMD and nVidia. It's the venomous atmosphere generated by a particular kind of fanboy I worry about.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The engines they're built on have basic support for both (renders the display for each eye) but for a game to be really good in VR, it needs to go far beyond that.

Case in point: the developers of Consortium: The Tower have a Rift so if they pursue developing VR, it's probably going to run the best with Rift. Unless the developer goes out and buys a Vive and optimizes the code for it as well, Vive is going to offer an inferior experience to Rift in the game.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
4k is the shiznet.. 50" of 4k samsung goodness here and I love it.. Just make sure you do your research before you buy int 4k. There are a lot of false advertisers out there..
24 hz and subsampling solors and other BS methods that will kill your experience.. Tue UHD 4k 60 hz+ onry.
As for VR.. Not wearing some dam face mask to play my games.. Never gonna happen. That design is not going to fly for the masses.

I think Sony has a standard for Sony and they'll likely stick to it. Of the three major players, PlayStation VR is the least risky but it is also the least rewarding (low end hardware by comparison). What will be interesting is if Sony creates a driver to run PlayStation VR on Windows so it becomes the cheap alternative to Vive and Rift and an easy port for game developers. Sony hasn't cared about Windows in the past (e.g. Dual Shock support) so I think that is a long shot. If Sony did make a move, it could quickly become the standard for VR simply because of its accessibility.

Never understood why Sony never got into the windows game. They'd of made a killing on PS controllers and cables alone.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board

Perhaps Sony will do just that. Then again, perhaps not.

The specs for the PlayStation VR are obviously lower but they are also obviously supposed to be lower. We all know that you can get a better gaming experance on a PC that cost 3x or 4x the amount of a PS4 so lower specs are consistent with the PS4 platform.

Having said that, even the more premium Vive and Rift still have a screen-door effect duo to the relatively low resolution. That is a design flaw for all of these VR headsets but it can be partially forgiven due to the GPU requirements to do better.

If HTC and Oculus had increased the resolution it would have made their offerings better suited to future GPU upgrades with more prowess down the line. As it stands now, I can see upgraded products on the horizon.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I have 0 interest in VR actually.

Just goes to show how useless a poll is if you word it incorrectly. You do not have a poll gauging interest in VR,you have a poll showing which option is most important when comparing. Two different things.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
How many people here have a GTX 980 Ti which cost about ~$600 USD (give or take)?

How many of you have one of the above cards or similar running in SLI / Xfire,....?

How many people here have one or more 4K displays?

Yes, to all three of the above, but I'm probably not going to jump on VR tech. I have tried it, and while it was OK, I didn't think that it was worth the expense. Maybe I'll consider it again in a few years.
I like my 4K screen and the two 980Ti cards pushing it around. (one was $400 and the other was $500)
4K gaming is worth the money to me, VR, not so much.