• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

nvflashk - Flash any BIOS to NVIDIA GPUs - Safe board ID bypass up to 4xxx series

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Anywho, back to working on the software. See y'all in a few days if this hurricane doesn't yeet my roof off.
arrrggg batten down the hatches matey

D

Deleted member 218758

A path to supply the nvflash with maybe an auto downloader/compiler (linux) for public nvflash & modified // this includes working on a patch-file like you wanted early on
. An nvflash downloader/patcher. I will not distribute nvflash itself, but I will distribute patchfiles within nvflashk (or whatever I call it) which can patch versions you provide.
Uh ?
Yes yes, go for a patch file if you are able to offset this.
Better for the longevity - and less maintenance.

You do not plan to keep it open as a path , do you ?
Everyone who works on the nvidia project at any time can disappear
I hope the GUI has several fallback options, and doesn't only rely to be hosted on github.
I do also hope that its codebase doesn't remain closed source.

Just speaking out of the past, the amount of threads and projects that vanished from the net and archives.
Be it by the dev themselves.
I started from scratch instead of using the old C# editors
hm ?
3. Safer flashing mechanisms.
Define "safe".
The safe-procedure is handled by Falcon.
Users guardkeeping adds layers of security which turn into an obstacle once user abandons the project or X company puts money in their pocket.
Unsure what layer of security to add, ontop of currently existing ones by the NV devs
Its not like you'd want to remake the whole flashing procedure and input checks that already exist. That's too much work.
A compatibility scoring system based on the reported success of others and BIOS version matching
Needs a database no ?
Please no telemetry tracking or online persistency.
Auto backup and auto restore. If you can POST but have no graphics, it will auto-flash back to the original GPU upon logging in if you not confirm success. (Think of what Windows does when you change resolution).
Indeed telemetry and persistency . Please give an opt-out of this. Boardvendors WPBT spyware is enough.
You can make it easier ~ on CID rebrands (if ever) you simply lose the output, as past a flash falcon will soft reboot the card.
This includes matrix i/o missmatches.

There mid procedure, well past flash pre reboot - can be noticed and tracked.
Shouldnt be too much work, nor be able to be titled as persistent spyware.
Good idea, but downsides exist.
Completely open source.
:D

Indeed telemetry and persistency . Please give an opt-out of this.
With your idea, another flaw is - that you can not restore the card itself ~ once UEFI detects it as softbricked.
Like S.M.A.R.T ~ it will refuse to init, nor be mapped out in ACPI table.
Your tool will then wait to reflash it , and actually reflash the first (backup) card that you input.
// as you have to use a known-good card to restore your bad card which is moved to another slot aka index
Sure you can add even more checks - but this bloats code, is complicated for identification, and going around a problem that shouldn't be created in the first place.

Having a persistent tracking + reflash
Is 6/7 points a trouble cause and will not help at all.

Tracking card reinit ability past falcon's reboot , past the flash
is a not bad idea ~ but on the other points , it is simply not gonna work out.
Now aside that nobody wants even more autostart programs' or services. Let alone Ring0/1 kernels.

EDIT ~ Why it also won't work Part2:

Outside if having basic Post (Init) issues past the flash
Outside of having TPM as variable past a flash (2 stage flash)
A soft-bricked card will never init.

On ACPI table, a Card will take over/replace the same anchor point that the previous card had
You can probe it, sure ~ but a restore ability past flash , is worthless
It will only ask for bugs

Sure there is a method, but it costs you kinda (wasted) time, to implement checks, against , well - basically not a functionality that will work out
A bricked card will not init

The only place to repair it, is pre flash , past flash - pre reboot
Past a reboot its too late.
On a flash, that causes a blackscreen - you don't have that much time either, before the OS shuts down
But you do have a chance to catch it before system shuts down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I said the telemetry for that feature would be opt-out and very clearly so. But it wouldn’t exist without the telemetry, either.

I described how it was safer too, not going to again. Safer for those who don’t know exactly what they’re doing, not much safer for those who do.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
telemetry is good it tells us what cross flashes are succesful

who the tf cares I would collect the following
make/model of card
current bios version
proposed bios version
success/fail (confirmed via read-back dump after reboot)
example is after reboot read back the rom if the rom matches the proposed bios version = success
if there is a mis-match either the user had to flip there bios switch or perform some other recovery = fail;
log the result in a database: done

none of that is personally indentifiable information and accually useful data
there is nothing inately wrong with telemetry as long as what is being collected is documented

and if you care about data collection then why are you even on the internet at all ..

and as for bricking who cares
most of use have dual bios cards you brick it you flip it you reflash it

nobody should be attempting a cross flash without A: a dual bios card or B: a hardware programer
if timmy two bits wants to try and flash his 1060 to a 4090 and doesn't have dual bios or a flashcat/spi tool thats his problem

Yes, I said the telemetry for that feature would be opt-out and very clearly so. But it wouldn’t exist without the telemetry, either.
Turn off all telemetry. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes please. I just wanna code and hack and overclock, man. These politics and attacks are silly. We’re a bunch of internet nerds trying to zap more power into our expensive toys, that’s all.
I'm ready to help you. :D

none of that is personally indentifiable information and accually useful data
there is nothing inately wrong with telemetry as long as what is being collected is documented
My day job is as a software/security engineer, where privacy and data telemetry are extremely important topics. Among many other things, I reverse engineer software my coworkers use to make sure it isn’t sending data I wouldn’t want shared.

Anything my software connects to will ask for permission first, very clearly, with an exact output of the payload being sent. As it should.

Yes please. I just wanna code and hack and overclock, man. These politics and attacks are silly. We’re a bunch of internet nerds trying to zap more power into our expensive toys, that’s all.
What happens here immediately goes to Nvidia. If you can turn off telemetry then turn it off soon. Don't post. I can sign your files so they don't get blacklisted.

Thanks mods for cleaning up the thread. Will I be able to edit OP later for the GUI release? Or maybe I should just make a new thread..

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Thanks mods for cleaning up the thread. Will I be able to edit OP later for the GUI release? Or maybe I should just make a new thread..

We can unlock if you just DM a request with a link, or report your own post if no one is on :)

I'm having some fun as I've flashed the RTX 4080 HOF 1000 W bios on my Gigabyte RTX 4080.

I'm using the HOF AI Software ( like afterburner ) to limit power draw to 48% and voltage to 1.15mV

Gaming at 3105 Ghz clock speed stable ! Core temp around 70 degrees - hotspot 85 degrees ish

Last edited:
I'm having some fun as I've flashed the RTX 4080 HOF 1000 W bios on my Gigabyte RTX 4080.

I'm using the HOF AI Software ( like afterburner ) to limit power draw to 48% and voltage to 1.15mV

Gaming at 3105 Ghz clock speed stable ! Core temp around 70 degrees - hotspot 85 degrees ish
And how much power does your card actually consume? Have you tested it in games?
Find in different bios the power that it consumes without the power slider.
hotspot - normal but no more.

My GPU is eating 1.0430V I'm more afraid. :)

Last edited:
And how much power does your card actually consume? Have you tested it in games?
Find in different bios the power that it consumes without the power slider.
hotspot - normal but no more.
I've had a look at power and temps using GPUZ and power draw depends on the game. Normally around 380 - 430 watts :)

Without the power slider - above 500 watts in gaming

On my original Bios - average would be around 350 watts

I've had a look at power and temps using GPUZ and power draw depends on the game. Normally around 380 - 430 watts :)

Without the power slider - above 500 watts in gaming

On my original Bios - average would be around 350 watts
350 watts + 12% GOD VRM + (binning GPU) = 392 Watts ;)

Last edited:
System Name Win 11 PC / Win 7 PC
Processor InteI Core i9 10900K @ 5GHz/ Intel Core i9 9900KS @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Master (rev 1.0) /GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 7-OP (rev 1.0)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 / Noctua NH-D15
Memory 128GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz DDR4 @16-20-20-38-2T / 64GB Crucial Ballistix 3400 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 7900 XT Reference / Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super AORUS
Storage Intel Optane H10 512GB SSD + 4TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD / 2x 4TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD Raid 0 + Optane 32
Display(s) ACER G236HL / ACER G236HL
Case Cooler Master K350 / Cooler Master K350
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220 / Realtek ALC 1220
Power Supply Cooler Master V1200 1200W / Enermax Revolution 87+ 850W
Mouse Dell Keyboard / Microsoft Desktop 600
Keyboard Dell Mouse / Microsoft Desktop 600
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate 64-BIT SP1
Would you @kefi consider to turn the GUI into a Kefinator's vBios flash-preparation project ?
That is,
A gui like you do for the users
A path to supply the nvflash with maybe an auto downloader/compiler (linux) for public nvflash & modified // this includes working on a patch-file like you wanted early on
A noteblock to track / process the logs it gives out
And ability to do the same with amdvbflash 3.30/4.69.

I have a flash-everything exploit for RDNA. Waiting since 2020/21 to become more useful outside of private bios-modding research.
Just it needs specific set of actions. And they will cause legal trouble if you modify their vbflash ~ given EULA.
My personal exploit works with the official version for win and linux :)
I'm keen on the modded AMD VBFlash, happy to be a guinea pig tester as I have spare GPUs available in case of bad flash.

Good to know that you saved your card!

i thought that this tool allow unsigned bios.

therefore there are no other bios allowed for a FE card?
Any BIOS that came from a card is a 'signed BIOS'. What you cannot flash is something that someone took off a card and manually edited. So, if you can find something with a higher power limit that matches your chip, chances are you can use it.

I'm keen on the modded AMD VBFlash, happy to be a guinea pig tester as I have spare GPUs available in case of bad flash.
I don't even have an AMD GPU to test things with, but I am writing the software in a way that isn't locked to NVIDIA, so one day it is possible. Especially if I get an AMD GPU.

Hasbulla

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/99018251?

4070ti with Suprim X Bios

1693396144365.png

Hasbulla

Is it an FE card with the supreme x bios?
Haha No sry that i didnt add this Info. ITS an Gaming X Trio with the gaming Suprim BIOS. 88,9 Hotspot on this Run with 354 W Powerdraw.

Attachments

• image-2.png
    image-2.png
    628.6 KB · Views: 99
@kefi Congrats on world record #1 for 3D Mark Solar Bay.

I think next step is seeing you get into LN cooling

1415gateway

Yes I'm a noob please forgive me for my noob question
I have a MSI GT 77 HX (laptop) with a 4090 what could be my options when it comes to flashing or modifying the 4090 vbios etc and In the future if the 4090 TI laptop comes out could I flash the 4090 TI to this gpu?

Thanks in advance!