• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Forbids GeForce Driver Deployment in Data Centers

Nvidia can always produce more Titan/GeForce cards, or lower the price of Tesla/Quadro cards. Whatever suits them better.
And people continue to feed this Green Goblin. They can keep doing what they want because people buy their stuff, even when it's worse than AMD's.

OH for crying out loud, can we stop with the tit-for-tat fanboy crap?

Both companies make great products. End of story. NVidia products do some tasks marginally better than AMD's offerings and AMD's products do marginally better at other tasks. The details that define what you should buy is your budget, what you want to do and how long you need to do it. The smart buyer does their homework(research) and buys what fits their needs. Moron's play the brand loyalty card.
EDIT; Should clarify. There nothing wrong with brand loyalty, per-se. But when it gets in the way of sound judgment, logic and factual reasoning, that's when it becomes moronic.

Last edited:
System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
This is why I went out of my way to get Vega. The GTX line is awesome but NVidia has been pulling this crap since the dawn of SLI. Then G-Sync... now this. I can't stand this company and will vote with my wallet as long as there's a choice.

NVidia products do some tasks marginally better than AMD's offerings and AMD's products do marginally better at other tasks. The details that define what you should buy is your budget, what you want to do and how long you need to do it. The smart buyer does their homework(research) and buys what fits their needs. Moron's play the brand loyalty card.
You talk the talk, but do you walk the walk? :)
1514839701669.png

This is why I went out of my way to get Vega.
You got a Vega because you don't like NVIDIA's practices in a specialized enterprise segment? :-o

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
You got a Vega because you don't like NVIDIA's practices in a specialized enterprise segment? :-o

I LOL'ed :toast:

This is why I went out of my way to get Vega. The GTX line is awesome but NVidia has been pulling this crap since the dawn of SLI. Then G-Sync... now this. I can't stand this company and will vote with my wallet as long as there's a choice.
While I disagree with your point, at least it's informed and based on information that is credible, followed by the declaration of action you will take. Far more worthy of consideration than the drivel of " I'm not buying X Brand card because they just suck and I don't like them. Yay my team! ".

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10

No smartass, G-Sync. ...another proprietary system that puts a few hundred more in thier pockets and any monitor with G-Sync is forbidden to have adaptive sync.

They did esentially the same with SLI and motherboard chipsets. A few vendors discovered how to enable SLI on Intel boards and got thier asses sued by those assholes.

Now this.

They make some great products, but I don't like the company and never will. That's my perogative, not yours.

System Name Current Rig
Processor Intel 12700K@5.1GHz
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 2x16GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 6800 16GB
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Storm Striker
Power Supply Antec True Power 750w
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
OH for crying out loud, can we stop with the tit-for-tat fanboy crap?

Both companies make great products. End of story. NVidia products do some tasks marginally better than AMD's offerings and AMD's products do marginally better at other tasks. The details that define what you should buy is your budget, what you want to do and how long you need to do it. The smart buyer does their homework(research) and buys what fits their needs. Moron's play the brand loyalty card.
EDIT; Should clarify. There nothing wrong with brand loyalty, per-se. But when it gets in the way of sound judgment, logic and factual reasoning, that's when it becomes moronic.

"Moron's play the brand loyalty card." No, morons keep giving money to companies that rip them off. NVidia ripped me off, so I don't buy nVidia anymore. Simple. I'm not a 'fanboy' of AMD, I'm a very dissatisfied nVidia customer. I don't 'love' AMD, I hate nVidia. The b@stards screwed me over once, and tried to on 2 other occasions:

1) Bumpgate Toshiba laptop that I never got reimbursement for.
2) Rip off 2GB memory on the GTX670, while 7950 card came with 3GB (I did something about that and sold the GTX670 to an nVidiot who payed $370 for it, and bought a new 7950 for $319)
3) GTX970 memory fiasco (I bought an R9 290 instead, which just keeps getting faster and faster than the GTX970 anyhow with DX12/Vulkan)

So that's strike 3 for them and they're OUT. Simple. Then there's the G-Sync Green Goblin tax. Now this.

Don't try to cover up their straight up lies. They sold a card with '4GB' Ram on the box knowing it couldn't really use all 4GB properly because they cheaped out on the memory controller. Then they tried to cover it up, and then, with a sh!t-eating grin on his face, Jensun 'apologized'. Right. Like he was truly sorry for scamming GTX970 owners for that extra $20 or $30 bucks a card. Right. No, they knew EXACTLY what they were doing, and simply didn't give a damn because everybody was going to buy their cheap junk anyhow.

It's time people grew a spine and said no to them. It the principle of the thing. Sure, every company makes mistakes, but that was no 'honest' mistake, it was a naked lie to rip you off. That's where I draw the line, and anybody else with any dignity should be doing the same. It's not fanboyism, it's simple dignity.

No more money for them from me. Ever.

Last edited:
"Moron's play the brand loyalty card." No, morons keep giving money to companies that rip them off. NVidia ripped me off, so I don't buy nVidia anymore. Simple. I'm not a 'fanboy' of AMD, I'm a very dissatisfied nVidia customer. I don't 'love' AMD, I hate nVidia. The b@stards screwed me over once, and tried to on 2 other occasions:

1) Bumpgate Toshiba laptop that I never got reimbursement for.
2) Rip off 2GB memory on the GTX670, while 7950 card came with 3GB (I did something about that and sold the GTX670 to an nVidiot who payed $370 for it, and bought a new 7950 for $319)
3) GTX970 memory fiasco (I bought an R9 290 instead, which just keeps getting faster and faster than the GTX970 anyhow with DX12/Vulkan)

So that's strike 3 for them and they're OUT. Simple. Then there's the G-Sync Green Goblin tax. Now this.

Don't try to cover up their straight up lies. They sold a card with '4GB' Ram on the box knowing it couldn't really use all 4GB properly because they cheaped out on the memory controller. Then they tried to cover it up, and then, with a sh!t-eating grin on his face, Jensun 'apologized'. Right. Like he was truly sorry for scamming GTX970 owners for that extra $20 or $30 bucks a card. Right. No, they knew EXACTLY what they were doing, and simply didn't give a damn because everybody was going to buy their cheap junk anyhow.

It's time people grew a spine and said no to them. It the principle of the thing. Sure, every company makes mistakes, but that was no 'honest' mistake, it was a naked lie to rip you off. That's where I draw the line, and anybody else with any dignity should be doing the same. It's not fanboyism, it's simple dignity.

No more money for them from me. Ever.
Thank You for displaying perfect examples of the points made above.. And as a suggestion, you might want to brush up on the definition of the word "dignity". Your usage of that word seems improper given the context of your expression.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
^Stop spologizing for cunt companies. That kinda complacency is why we can't have nice things

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
you apologizes for nvidia's contol freak actions. People should do what they want with their hardware.

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
you, follow the thread. having too many quotes and stuff clutters stuff up. normally using a forum you sholdn't need to quote everything. lol

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
you must be new to forums and that's ok. I think you need to relook at the fact that just because someone doesn't spoon feed you you shouldn't get mad about it. Also the people that excuse company's bad actions are weak and need be aware that they are engaging in toxic behavior. I call out companies constantly and I want to make stuff great again. If you can't pay attention to any thread and actually read it and not expect people to quote you and such in order to determine that it was directed towards you, than you need to understand forums more. I have even worked at forum companies so I understand how it works more than you so don't go with this "zero basis in reality" crud,

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Back on topic, does "data center" have a legal definition? That's pretty damn generic. My mancave could qualify as a data center.

Back on topic, does "data center" have a legal definition? That's pretty damn generic. My mancave could qualify as a data center.
That's a very good point! How can you define one type of data processing from another that would satisfy a distinction under a legal code set definition? NVidia's terms are too broad to stand up to legal scrutiny. Another reason why they are unenforceable.

Last edited:
For anyone wondering, Geforce cards are very cost effective when used for single precision workloads such as deep learning. Sakura Internet's offering of Titan X (Pascal) GPUs is about 4x as cost effective as their best Tesla alternative. Source: https://www.sakura.ad.jp/koukaryoku/specification/
Absolutely, as I see it, this is the reason. There are many types of workloads where SP is needed. DP being a requirement is much rarer. Data centers, knowing this, probably buy the consumer cards instead of the Teslas and Quadros simply because they are much more cost effective for SP workloads.

Looking at BOINC projects, MilkyWay is one of the few GPU enabled projects that uses DP.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Or option 3: just ignore the EULA, which has already proven to be non enforceable in court.

What is nvidia going to do? sue someone for buying their hardware? Nvidia cant actually enforce this rule, and they know it. Nvidia is counting on spineless HR and legal departments kotowing to them and their worthless EULA.