• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Turing GPU to Start Mass Production in Q3 2018

GrandLine

hmm... another rumor... but all rumors point out that nvidia will release new generation of gpu at the end of this year. so, it's quite plausable.
well, we will find the truth soon enough, at GTC this month.

I'm still curious about the MSRP of these new mining (and gaming) cards. and what will affect to the current inflated priced of old graphic cards...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Only in the world of make believe would a retailer ask "Are you a cryptocurrency miner?" and a cryptocurrency miner responds with "yes".

System Name cryohellinc PC
Processor i7-4770k @4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 2100mhz
Storage 3ssd - 64gb (software) ;128 (software + operational system); 256gb - Games + 1TB HDD
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR + Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard SteelSeries 6gv2 + custom O-Rings. Using Via PS2 connector
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Bless, finally.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
uhm - no, the point of this most likely to use dies that have failed the first QA as fullblown gaming cards but will work just fine as minig cards at lower frequencies. simple PCBs and no licensing for output modules probably mean they can keep a hefty margin of income on the dedicated cards, thus its a win/win/win for gamers, miners and nvidia.

Miners will buy the cheaper dedicated cards and gamers can access the gamer cards again thus stopping the inflation. Meanwhile nvidia will get more cards out of their dies and in the end making more money.

Or so the theory is. Whether it will work or not.. only time will tell

None of what I said disagrees with that. My comment was targeted at them not being permitted to sell GPU's in bulk for end users. Who the hell says end users can't buy GPU's? This wont stop inflation as of right now the market is trying to figure out what that general purpose processor is worth. Remember AI is also eating cards up like it is going out of style.

I think the goal is to still have a GPU market when mining cools off.

You are a bit past that. If mining dies, the GPU market will be trash. More so than the last time it happened.

Not less I expect , just with warranties and profits in the right places, for nvidia.

I think after their last mining card release and its crazy prices and wtf warranty ,not enticing miners into buying them, until only those were left, they could be putting more effort in ie use the worst shader array bin gpus specially configured for mining instead of regular stuff with bits removed ,they just need to get the price right and they win but either way they win as the chip bins called a bin for a reason, this could use stock that few other use cases would have, we'll see i suppose .

Anyone else now thinking this exact asic could be turing, it seams odd that turing got rumoured up to death, now rumoured Q3 just as these deliberately made for mining cards turn up, they are not shy of naming a segmant after all are they ie Quadro,Titan, Geforce ,,Turing.

makes more sense then buying a farm of these only for nvidia to piss on my chips in Q3 with an jeffin super miner card.

Warranties don't make nvidia a dime. Mining cards would actually be better for them since they limit the warranty severely, essentially making it a non-DOA warranty.

Profits are not changing if the die goes to mining or gaming. The product they provide is the chip, AIB cost is the same based on bin. If it is a garbage bin it goes to mining and they get less money for it the AIB however can profiteer all they want on that item. Case in point is Gigabyte selling their P104 cards to venders over $500 a pop when Manli sells them for $300.

I am still fully against Nvidia disabling mining on consumer cards. Never tell a company to cut features on a product. If you want to offer me a product at a reduced prices with less features by all means, but don't charge me full price after cutting away.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
There are many contradictory claims about Nvidia's upcoming GPUs, which indicates pure speculation.

BTW, GDC is next week, and GTC the following week. Hopefully they will disclose something there.