• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

nvme storage + airport X ray?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Mates,

Has anyone carried them around in baggage while traveling more often?

I am planning a longer trip, and I want a lightweight backup storage to dump my camera RAW's as I will be short on SD my storage. So I've got a JMS583 based USB to nvme solution in a proper metal housing and borrow my main second drive, albeit I am still concerned about the data.

I've tried to google about exactly nvme drive data durability though x ray and got mixed results. Yes SD Cards and USB dongles claim to be protected, but not much on a m.2 drive.

Any real experience?

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
With the way things are nowadays at Airports, I would be more concerned about the metal enclosure being flagged as a possible explosive device/weapon....

I don't know about the xray thing, but would check with the manufacturer for specific info on this. New drives are shipped through the post office & xrayed all the time, at least in the US.... but of course they don't contain anyone's data either....

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Here's my take:

NVMe M.2 drives comprise a controller and (typically) 3D TLC packages on one or both sides, which is identical to SATA M.2 drives. SATA M.2 drives are, in turn, just 2.5" hardware crammed onto a smaller PCB. M.2 doesn't usually have a metal casing like 2.5", but one's PC case or M.2 enclosure is. Moreover, a lot of cheap 2.5" drives aren't even encased in metal.

My rig is specifically built to fly. After all the flights it's been through, the drives (a MX300, 850 EVO, SSD 530, and a Fury (Sandforce like the 530, I think)) haven't had any problems. The only damage suffered was the physical loss of a non-critical corner of the SATA power connector on the 850 while one of my rebuilds. All are still going strong in different PCs.

Add to that the fact that I've had SSDs come in or put in every single one of my laptops, which have also seen the same amount of travel as the desktop. All of them are just fine. Not all of those laptops have aluminium bottoms, and two are M.2-powered.

What I would be more worried about is data retention, especially since those portable drives aren't in a laptop where they receive battery power, or a desktop that gets plugged in again at the destination. SSDs are almost never widely tested for data loss after being separated from DC power for extended periods of time. External hard drives have traditionally been mechanical, and don't suffer from this issue.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Not all of those laptops have aluminium bottoms, and two are M.2-powered.

Good point, laptops do travel often and are scanned, and they aren't shielded in any way, but xray still would go through. Haven't heard about scandals about data loss.

About the data loss topic due to age, I have lanparty pc's that get powered like once in year with my old used stuff. They reside 950Pro drive, no problems whatsoever. I've have some old Crucial M4 64GB in the shed, that wasn't touched for two years, no problems... also I have a bootable USB drive 512MB... containing BIOS images formatted in 2005 and used more rare than once a year... it still lives.

With the way things are nowadays at Airports, I would be more concerned about the metal enclosure being flagged as a possible explosive device/weapon...

No probs don't exaggerate... Last time i was asked to show up, when carrying preamp tubes and to confirm if they really are those tubes, as they look funny in the xray, as it turned out, the chap was just curious about them as such. More concern is about batteries and power banks these days, those get checked really strictly.

BTW I've mailed Samsung support about this, no answer so far.

EDIT.
Got an answer, support guy mentioned also the laptop example. But no documentation or specs that really says nay or yay. Oh well...

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Good point, laptops do travel often and are scanned, and they aren't shielded in any way, but xray still would go through. Haven't heard about scandals about data loss.

About the data loss topic due to age, I have lanparty pc's that get powered like once in year with my old used stuff. They reside 950Pro drive, no problems whatsoever. I've have some old Crucial M4 64GB in the shed, that wasn't touched for two years, no problems... also I have a bootable USB drive 512MB... containing BIOS images formatted in 2005 and used more rare than once a year... it still lives.

No probs don't exaggerate... Last time i was asked to show up, when carrying preamp tubes and to confirm if they really are those tubes, as they look funny in the xray, as it turned out, the chap was just curious about them as such. More concern is about batteries and power banks these days, those get checked really strictly.

BTW I've mailed Samsung support about this, no answer so far.

It might have to get to someone rather far up the support chain before you can get an actual answer regarding lesser known issues like this one.

I was also going to add that everything going through the X-ray machine tends to be exposed. Laptops out of carrying sleeves, and desktops out of their Pelican cases. When you think about it like that, a thin layer of SECC steel, brushed aluminium, or plastic isn't too much protection against ionizing radiation. Perhaps the NAND controllers are smart enough nowadays to deal with any corruption that might arise in the same manner they would a bad block?

Funnily enough, the very first time I flew with my desktop, it was flagged to be swabbed for explosives. It was in an SG08 and the panel could easily come off with thumbscrews to peer inside, I mean, but okay.........

D

Deleted member 158293

IMO backup everything on the cloud or your own server. It's hard to pinpoint x-rays, or repeated x-rays as the cause for nand cell degredation, I'd be VERY curious to see a study like that also.

All I can say is I've had to replace dozens of SD cards and usb sticks over the years, as well as a couple SSDs & nvme drives from my travel gear. 1 scan might be okay, but multiples per week/months I'm not so sure and curious on.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
IMO backup everything on the cloud or your own server. It's hard to pinpoint x-rays, or repeated x-rays as the cause for nand cell degredation, I'd be VERY curious to see a study like that also.

All I can say is I've had to replace dozens of SD cards and usb sticks over the years, as well as a couple SSDs & nvme drives from my travel gear. 1 scan might be okay, but multiples per week/months I'm not so sure and curious on.

Agh... I've just googled this one... not very good looking info... damn...

I am visiting US(Miami) and dumping a raw image archive around 256-512GB to the cloud leave up questions and hurdles, I will do it as much I can, but still I need a hard copy just in case. Interesting topic really. It seems it leaves some damage for sure. As usual - the thinner the process the more suspectable to damage they are...

Funnily enough, the very first time I flew with my desktop, it was flagged to be swabbed for explosives. It was in an SG08 and the panel could easily come off with thumbscrews to peer inside, I mean, but okay.........

Roger that... a small screwdriver should be also carried lol.

Last issue was with a power bank for a mate. It was used for awhile and the markings have worn off, thus you couldn't see the capacity anymore... well had to dump it just because of that.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob

I am visiting US(Miami) and dumping a raw image archive around 256-512GB to the cloud leave up questions and hurdles, I will do it as much I can, but still I need a hard copy just in case. Interesting topic really. It seems it leaves some damage for sure. As usual - the thinner the process the more suspectable to damage they are...

Roger that... a small screwdriver should be also carried lol.

Last issue was with a power bank for a mate. It was used for awhile and the markings have worn off, thus you couldn't see the capacity anymore... well had to dump it just because of that.

I had forgotten what I was about to say, but remembered after you mentioned that. Both power loss and write endurance came into the spotlight after TLC entered the picture, for good reason. That study seems to confirm my suspicions that denser NAND doesn't like X-rays much.

On my previous point, it seems that a layer of aluminium or steel actually provides more protection against ionizing radiation (save for gamma, obviously lol) than I had previously thought. So that aluminium external enclosure or PC case is actually quite useful.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Yeah i be concerned about the metal casing, how ever Rossmann was on about some Macs being banned from planes not to long ago and cannot help thinking their might be other items that are too. I believe it's due to battery's so maybe check with your airport ?.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Yeah i be concerned about the metal casing, how ever Rossmann was on about some Macs being banned from planes not to long ago and cannot help thinking their might be other items that are too. I believe it's due to battery's so maybe check with your airport ?.

Those were blacklisted devices... well I am not an apple user.

Need to do research about the shield... it kinda explains why laptop HDD cages had foil like shield bracket, it really ain't for thermals, as there was no flow... but prolly actually for xray protection.

Don't worry about your drives, man. I have years of experience in the field. Some of my colleagues use laptops (some of them equipped with SSDs) that go through the X-ray machines daily (some even multiple times a day) and those laptops are running just fine. Some of those have seen the inside of an X-ray machine probably more than 1000 times - no issues reported. I've ran the same phone and tablet through one on semi-daily basis for 3-4 years, too - so far no issues.

I don't know about protection, but unless the metal is a few millimeters thick the X-rays penetrate the laptop enough to have a relatively good look at what's inside - enough that you can make out the individual flash chips of the SSD.

That said, if you're paranoid about your data, just back it up. I would personally be more afraid of the tray with the laptop falling off the X-ray machine conveyor rollers and hitting the ground...

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Here's my take:

NVMe M.2 drives comprise a controller and (typically) 3D TLC packages on one or both sides, which is identical to SATA M.2 drives. SATA M.2 drives are, in turn, just 2.5" hardware crammed onto a smaller PCB. M.2 doesn't usually have a metal casing like 2.5", but one's PC case or M.2 enclosure is. Moreover, a lot of cheap 2.5" drives aren't even encased in metal.

My rig is specifically built to fly. After all the flights it's been through, the drives (a MX300, 850 EVO, SSD 530, and a Fury (Sandforce like the 530, I think)) haven't had any problems. The only damage suffered was the physical loss of a non-critical corner of the SATA power connector on the 850 while one of my rebuilds. All are still going strong in different PCs.

Add to that the fact that I've had SSDs come in or put in every single one of my laptops, which have also seen the same amount of travel as the desktop. All of them are just fine. Not all of those laptops have aluminium bottoms, and two are M.2-powered.

What I would be more worried about is data retention, especially since those portable drives aren't in a laptop where they receive battery power, or a desktop that gets plugged in again at the destination. SSDs are almost never widely tested for data loss after being separated from DC power for extended periods of time. External hard drives have traditionally been mechanical, and don't suffer from this issue.

I have had memory corruption in a phone from airport x-rays, never a laptop though.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I can't believe this discussion is happening again.

No, airport X-Ray scanners will NOT damage computer storage devices, nor will it corrupt any data stored on them. Even if you fly every day. This includes SSDs (of all kinds), flash drives (all kinds), hard drives and even floppy disks - which are only affected by magnetic fields.

The field strength of the X-Ray machines used at airports is just too low. When you start to see TSA agents in full lead suits, then, maybe, you should worry.

There is a much greater chance your laptop, tablet or data storage device will be dropped, lost, stolen, or have sugared coffee spilled on it.

Oh, and aluminum does not block x-rays. Yes, it will attenuate the signal strength, but only a little unless it is several inches thick. But that's the same for solid wood and other materials too. In any event, pretty sure air port X-ray scanners scan from top down.
:( Did you read your articles? The first talks about "high radiation environments" and "circuit board inspections". Air port X-Ray machines do NOT produce "high radiation". Circuit board inspections - done to detect micro-fractures and other microscopic defects - are done in laboratory and manufacturing environments, again with high level radiation, not low levels as found in airports and other "security" environments.

Your .pdf document clearly points out that study is to determine if flash devices are suitable for persona dosimeter devices - "safety" devices used to detect if a person receives "high levels" of X-Rays - again, not the type used in airports. And that .pdf goes on to say that Flash chips are sensitive enough to low radiation doses such as 100 rad.

As seen by this MIT paper, for x-rays and gamma rays, 1 rad = 1 rem = 10 mSv.

100 rad = 100,000 mrem.

As reported by the FDA here, the typical dose received by objects scanned is 1 mrad or less.

As seen here, the average commercial airplane flight (one way) = 4 mrem or 4 millirem. That means your body gets 4 times more radiation from the sun when flying in the airplane than your SSD got under the scanner.

Better safe than sorry.
Of course! So as always, keep backups of your data - just in case your laptop or storage device is dropped, lost, infected by malware, stolen, or falls in the toilet.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
I can't believe this discussion is happening again.
Why not. I don't care for for the device damage this time, than the data loss possibility due to progress of technology. TLC is more prone. Actually I found out with NASA documents that floating gate Samsung 3D NAND tech is more durable.

You answered it yourself.
Oh, and aluminum does not block x-rays. Yes, it will attenuate the signal strength

The problem is the ionization that can trigger a shift in the cell. Actually exactly during manufacturing and then scanning, shielding is used, to lower cell damaging risk. There are many tricks. I don't care for the human related health risks and thus deviated values(dose) and devices used in the measurement and with TSA at the front. It is about NAND cell health. There is strangely almost like propaganda quality amount of information. There are complaints thou... it not all white and black as always. I've heard about boot looped phones often after inspections, as mobile NAND has even lower voltage states and huuugely lower life time than desktop parts.

I've dig through many documents today, there is a lot uncertainly. Not all memory is made equal, some may be prone some not. Often high energy is not needed even. The airport scanners can shoot 180KeV at max two times with classic 2D tech.

We can all guess actual truth from the test evaluation documents during manufacture and quality testing.

It all depends on the amount of energy. And first of all not damaging, but changing the stored bit data. The recommendation of use less than 50KeV vs the 180KeV shot. The tube for airport scanners is usually about 3mA, the document debates about 20-40uA current. Considering the range of the scanner yes, but also the fact that airport needs to penetrate more thick things to see if the laptop doesn't have some bomb there... well...

I cannot objectively say 100% yes or no unlike you. It doesn't do harm for us people, yes, sure... but corrupt memory... ? I am not certain, just as the resume says.

Due to the variability in Flash silicon, X-ray spectrums and X-ray equipment capabilities, it is not possible to provide specific guidelines on acceptable and unacceptable X-ray exposure criteria, e.g. maximum safe dose rate, maximum safe exposure time, etc....

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Simple solution..... go wherever, take pics, offload to backup, ship backup home.

Reactions: 64K
System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
ship backup home.

Ehrm, and how's that will help... containers have even more powerful scanners... if you mean by sea. It still will fly and will get scanned even more times at each facility, DHL, customs etc... Didn't get the idea.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
hmmm well how about emailing the pictures to yourself and then move them to storage when you get back? Or if you or someone you know has a DVD player connected to a PC then mail the pictures back home on a DVD and then copy to your preferred medium of storage?

If someone tells me that they x-ray emails too then I am just going to go lie down in the street and wait for a bus to run over me.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
A cloud service would be the best solution for sure.

I think OP is overly worried, as people go through airports with all sorts of PC goodies and they come out fine.
Think about it for a second.....
All these companies that attend CES and Computex, how do you think all the NVME storage at the show got there?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Those were blacklisted devices... well I am not an apple user.

Need to do research about the shield... it kinda explains why laptop HDD cages had foil like shield bracket, it really ain't for thermals, as there was no flow... but prolly actually for xray protection.

And i am not a mind reader, have a good'un

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
hmmm well how about emailing the pictures to yourself and then move them to storage when you get back? Or if you or someone you know has a DVD player connected to a PC then mail the pictures back home on a DVD and then copy to your preferred medium of storage?

If someone tells me that they x-ray emails too then I am just going to go lie down in the street and wait for a bus to run over me.
RAW image projects can often exceed a DVD-RW's capacity. I've worked some 10-15GB ones.

Email attachments have limits. You gotta pay 15/mo for dropbox plus or office365 1TB. I'd also be wary of trusting those with sensitive info... If they can easily fingerprint and flag copyright crap they can easily also scan images too and either flag or resell to others.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
I tend to shoot 5-10GB of RAW per day and in 3 weeks I will hit a ceiling.

Sitting in a foreing country pushing half TB to the cloud? Burning loads of DVD's and ship them? It would take half a day.

I am not paranoid, I am reconsidering info and exchanging ideas and seek to be sure to have more down to earth view, not only black or white.

After this Renesas guideline there is no denying about possible issues. Also that shield must be used and also it provides more honest scanner power level details.

Kingston also advises some points and concerns. Especially with CF.

I didn't know that I could ask it to be treated as unprocessed film that does get damaged under any xray scan and ask for hand check, it is an exlusion for photo gear.

Well we can end on that. Thanks who helped. :)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You answered it yourself.
That did not answer anything. Just because the thin layer of aluminum does not block X-Rays, that does NOT mean the radiation that gets through will damage the memory devices or corrupt the data being stored on them. And again - to address the part I also said you conveniently omitted - pretty sure TSA scanners scan from the top. And if not, there is nothing preventing anyone from putting the notebook on the scanner bed upside down. So any layer of aluminum on the bottom of some notebooks is pointless anyway - in terms of protecting from this type of radiation.

I cannot objectively say 100% yes or no unlike you.
And yet your own Kingston white paper you linked to is pretty clear.
Kingston - Caring for your Flash Memory said:
Tens of millions of Flash storage devices are in use worldwide and there have been no verifiable reports of Flash storage damage due to airport X-ray scanners.

A 2004 study by the International Imaging Industry Association (I3A) verified that today's airport X-ray machines do not appear to be a risk to flash memory cards.

According to the CompactFlash Association, X-ray scanners at airports will not damage CompactFlash cards

I will note, however, that same article reported scanners operated by the U.S. Postal Service may damage them. So the lesson learned by your own reference is to carry your solid state storage devices on the plane with you. Don't ship them by mail.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
So any layer of aluminum on the bottom of some notebooks is pointless anyway - in terms of protecting from this type of radiation.

You didn't get the idea again. It is about reducing energy, it really has high dose rate at short burst(two actually). Exactly in what those covers around hard drives are covered? Or you read only what you like to read. I was right about the covers being a radiation shield for laptop drives used since ages. Thus the rare fault rates there, well thought out. I don't know why you mentioned the scanner placement or whatever... Now they use mostly backscatter scanner... well at least in the US with some cartoonish filter at the top for not seeing private parts if you are about the used for humans. EU has banned human scans in airports in 2011. X-Ray scans are only made for medical purpose here. Due this health risk controversy... the information is feels kinda... retushed.

Back to device protection from Renesas.

Shielding and PC board solutions.
The FGA package leadframe plus two planes of copper provide an excellent shield for radiation from one direction as shown in Table 5 on page 4. Protection for the device side of the board must also be considered. A shield of zinc foil or sheet, 250µm minimum can be placed inside the enclosure above the FGA which effectively filters the most damaging energy. An alternative to consider is a thick aluminum sheet, 10mm or greater, placed over the device side of the PC board.

Bare drive converters to USB, flash drives, from plastic, without copper/zinc foil shielding has a greater data corruption risk. Case closed, look at your backup device and decide if to trust it.

Also you forget those TSA docs are old. 2004 and actually high tech process SLC vs MLC/TLC are more durable, and commercial SSD's in 2004?? Sure... . Current generation of memory cells made in sub 20nm process holding more and finer energy states are not really tested toughly by anybody actually for domestic needs, IC evaluation is done for space and military, it seems no one cares about consumer segment minor problems, those IC's often even doesn't have extended datasheets, you are holding to and expired document and bashing it as an ultimate truth. Meanwhile other show, even during the same era researches, that there are measurable effects and damage probability. Do you have TSA research data concerning modern technology storage devices that have popped up like in last few years? Could it even have worthy data due lack of time?

Also Kingston still added to use precaution, you skipped on that in the quote. We actually do not know what kind of scanners power wise are really used now..

tl;dr
It is stated not to put memory devices to your additional baggage as that is being scanned also with more power(same as doing a postage) and risk gradually increases varying of the NAND technology itself. Memory drives should be taken with your hand baggage or asked for manual inspection to avoid scanning at all as it is allowed as an exception for photo gear.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You didn't get the idea again. It is about reducing energy,
:( No it is you who doesn't get it! It seems it is you who only reads what you want to hear. Even on notebooks that have the aluminum plate on the bottom, that plate does absolutely nothing for blocking or attenuating X-rays coming from above the notebook.

Exactly in what those covers around hard drives are covered?
Hard drives? Come on! :rolleyes: Now you are being silly. Those covers around hard drives are there to block "magnetic" radiation, not RF. Why? Because hard drives work by the R/W head "magnetically" aligning "magnetic" particles on the platters so they represent a 1 or a 0.

If X-rays destroyed "magnetically" recorded data, the magnetic strip on all your credit cards (which have no metal shielding) would be wiped out with just a single scan. :kookoo: I would expect the totally exposed "chip" on newer credit cards too. Not to mention all our RFID tags.

We actually do not know what kind of scanners power wise are really used now..
Sure we do. That is not top secret information. OSHA and other public safety and watchdog groups are all over that. Had you bothered to read the "2019" link I provided above, you would see one backscatter x-ray scan (the type used in airport x-ray scanners) "dose" is .01 mrem.

Surely Crucial, Samsung, Intel, Corsair, Mushkin, OCZ/Toshiba, etc., or Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer and the other notebook makers don't want their memory devices or the data on them destroyed by airport scanners. So please show us where any of those major manufactures advise their customers not to let airport scanners scan their notebooks and solid state storage devices.

Airport Security Scanners and Batteries.
While large x-ray doses can harm living tissue, batteries and electronics are generally immune because they have none at all. The same applies to data, whether on a hard drive, a backup, or a USB. Media players, mobile phones, cameras, and camcorders should also be impervious to x-rays.

For someone who claims to not be paranoid, you sure sound paranoid to me - or, for the benefit of doubt, "overly cautious". It seems to me, since you don't trust airport scanners, and I showed where U.S. Mail scanners are more powerful yet, you just need to drive every where you go! Or leave all your electronics at home.

tl:dr
You are trying to prove a negative. That never works just like you cannot prove unicorns, Bigfoot, Nessie, or UFOs "don't" exist. So instead, prove a positive.
It would be simple and inexpensive to prove beyond a doubt, airport x-ray machines destroy data and/or damage such devices. Surely, some group or safety organization has done such testing. So how about you show us one of those studies?

Tin Futures