• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NZXT H2

Mac Daddy

Hey guys, this case was the result of a NZXT focus group effort that I'm proud to be part of. After the success of the Phantom, they really wanted to continue to get input from enthusiasts who actually use the cases, as opposed to just case engineers. The H2 isn't a gaming case per se, but should still offer pretty good thermal performance. Not many sites seem to be doing actual thermal tests though. That said, the conservative styling, sound dampening, and abundant drive bays should prove useful to those that need lots of storage in a case that just sits back and quietly does it's job. Now, for those wanting something more performance oriented, well, all I can say is that very 'cool' things are ahead...
Nicely said Bro and proud to be part of this group along with you. There are very cool things coming indeed :)

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Awesome review, this looks like it might be my next case. I didn't catch if you mentioned in the review, but does the SATA dock just connect to the motherboard's SATA connector?

Also, why is the graphics card crooked? lol

Yes the SATA dock connects to the mobo sata plugs. and yes the GPU is warped...happened over time, but works just fine ^^.

you mean oc3d? yea...seen that. I do not agree and all other reviews out there do not agree either. I am baffled how that can be considered an objective review...

That review helped me more than yours, even if he went overboard.

You are trying to be objective beyond the call of duty, not trying to insult manufacturer or whatnot. You gave both Define R3 & NZXT H2 same score(9.1 and editors choice), now why can't you make up your mind? Why can't you tell me which one is better in your opinion?

Yes, you may argue that for some people hot swap is more important than lets say case finish, or effectives of silencing foam or cooling. But you should just make up your damn mind when it comes to scoring and not make every feature equal to other!

If the whole build quality is great like you claim in pros or H2, then how come it does not surpass R3 in score? It got usb3 on front, it got hot swap, it got fan controller on front, more fans, hotswap fans... It should kick R3's ass in $100 range.

After 6 months sale of R3 and H2 on newegg, have a look on feedbacks and see if they are also scored there equally.

I know you probably want to be acting as impartial journalists, only reporting facts, but if I want just list of features stated without any brain activity involved I will just go look at rodney reynolds's videos.

/edit
Also who is right? In your review its aluminium on front doors, in his its plastic.

red99

I appreciate some of the case designs offered. However many of the "Advanced" cases do not have enough width (in this instance 310mm). Several of the cpu air coolers are quite tall and need more width in the case than this. I ended up with the 840ATCS Coolermaster because of width considerations. If someone had width in a quiet mid-tower
that would have sufficed. Thats my nit .

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.

You are trying to be objective beyond the call of duty, not trying to insult manufacturer or whatnot. You gave both Define R3 & NZXT H2 same score(9.1 and editors choice), now why can't you make up your mind? Why can't you tell me which one is better in your opinion?

Yes, you may argue that for some people hot swap is more important than lets say case finish, or effectives of silencing foam or cooling. But you should just make up your damn mind when it comes to scoring and not make every feature equal to other!

If the whole build quality is great like you claim in pros or H2, then how come it does not surpass R3 in score? It got usb3 on front, it got hot swap, it got fan controller on front, more fans, hotswap fans... It should kick R3's ass in $100 range.

After 6 months sale of R3 and H2 on newegg, have a look on feedbacks and see if they are also scored there equally.

I know you probably want to be acting as impartial journalists, only reporting facts, but if I want just list of features stated without any brain activity involved I will just go look at rodney reynolds's videos.

/edit
Also who is right? In your review its aluminium on front doors, in his its plastic.

Ok Troll, I will bit.

When a single review out of dozens tells you the product is crap while all the others said it was good, chances are the single reviewer is on something else.

And you hit the nail on the head. Darksaber is a reporter. There job is to give you the facts about products and offer his opinion on it and just it. He is not hear to say this is better than this and give you some kind of rank for them. He is not trying to control or influence your opinion. In the end, you have to decide for yourself what case you want.

Rodney never offers any real information that I can't just read on the box of the case. Dark gave his opinion about several things. You obviously didn't read the review, you just looked at the last page and posted here.

And to answer you questions, Dark said the front door has an aluminum plate on it, not the front door was made of aluminum.

When you learn to read, you can come back. Until then, go play with your mega blocks and don't interrupt grown-ups when they are talking.

P.S. I have seen your friend at OC3D's video now. I will admit he made a few valid points...very few. Overall, he is just being a troll like you. Trying to be different since everyone else likes the case. I just want to say the sound damping material is not something you are suppose to rub on like a fluffy pet. WHo cares if it is ruff to the touch as long as it does what it claims. And the front fans are not feed by the door henge joint, it is feed through the large gapping whole at the bottom of the front door. Also the front fans are not the only intake as there is 1 more slot for a fan in the floor of the case. It was obvious the guy took the case out of the box, "reviewed it", and put it back in the box. His opinion is void since he neither used the case, or took a decent look at it.

Darksaber

Staff member
Software Windows 10 Home

/edit

woa big post. let me try to give you some insight:

the biggest downside of the H2 is size. The R3 offers more space, better sound dampening materials, better customizability in terms of fan expandability, better hard drive rails.

But then the H2 offers USB 3.0, a Dock, removable front fans, great construction quality (especially the metal frame).

In terms of plastic both are identical in my opinion.

Fact is, that both cases are great and neither have real "deal breakers". I believe that a review is suppose to give the reader an insight, the facts and show what a product is capable of and its shortcomings, but leave the decision up to the reader. That is being objective in my humble opinion. The review is intended to allow the reader to make an informed decision. And that is not possible with the OC3D video review.

As for the metal part, I am pretty sure it is Aluminum. I am not at home right now, but will check. The fact is that the surface was cold to the touch, which seems to suggest Aluminum, also the fact that the white one uses a silver front seems to suggest that.

I will check as soon as i get home.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
was gonna say it looks very much like a Fractal Design Define XL but got beaten to the crunch. but anyway.

One does prefer a case with a side fan as it vents cool air on hot GPUs

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
was gonna say it looks very much like a Fractal Design Define XL but got beaten to the crunch. but anyway.

One does prefer a case with a side fan as it vents cool air on hot GPUs

the vent is on the bottom for that. You get cooler air and keeps the side sleek.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
the vent is on the bottom for that. You get cooler air and keeps the side sleek.

Wouldn't that fire dust into the case from the floor. I am very dubious of bottom mounted fans.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Wouldn't that fire dust into the case from the floor. I am very dubious of bottom mounted fans.

there is a dust filter.

I still prefer a side fan with a dust filter -- makes it easier to clean and the air gets vented directly onto my 2 cards. not just the card at the bottom which the bottom fan is pointed up at

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
there is a dust filter.

I still prefer a side fan with a dust filter -- makes it easier to clean and the air gets vented directly onto my 2 cards. not just the card at the bottom which the bottom fan is pointed up at

Very true, seems very counter intuitive.

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
Very true, seems very counter intuitive.

Ummmm we don't live in a vacuum. Fans in cases just help to circulate air faster. If air comes up from the bottom, it is not like only GPU will suck it all up and vent it out the case.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
can you remove the hdd bays and fit a 240 rad in front?

Darksaber

Staff member
Software Windows 10 Home
System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
From your own subjective listening, can you tell me how well this case would dampen the sound of some noisier components? (like high-rpm GPU fans for example)

cever89

Always a great review, so that goes without saying.

I tried to find the review that raged on the H2 and it doesn't seem to be up any more. I have tried several searches on their site and search engines, but I can't find it. I can only assume OC3D and Nzxt had a disagreement that lead to the "review" and they are working it out maybe. Maybe they got a damaged sample or something.

It is not my style, but I think the case is great. I wished the HDD cage was rotated 90 degrees and the hot swap bay connected via a USB3 header instead of an actual USB plug coming out the back. Then the wire would have been on the inside and out of sight. But these are minor details.

I found it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHcyWTorjdU

I don't know if I 100% agree with this guy, but here are a few areas that I myself would also be concerned with. The camera work could have also been a bit better :)

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65

powerplayer

I was thisclose to buying the case until your review advised of the white LED's. Not good for a bedroom HTPC. Thanks for being so thorough!

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
I was thisclose to buying the case until your review advised of the white LED's. Not good for a bedroom HTPC. Thanks for being so thorough!
Take out the LEDs?

Fractal Design

As for the metal part, I am pretty sure it is Aluminum. I am not at home right now, but will check. The fact is that the surface was cold to the touch, which seems to suggest Aluminum, also the fact that the white one uses a silver front seems to suggest that.

Just a quick comment on the plastic vs metal thing --> Both our Define series and NZXT H2 uses the same technology, which is called "aluminium membrane", basically a very thin layer of aluminium attached to the front plastic.

powerplayer

Take out the LEDs?

Yeah. On one case I switched the power led and hdd since the power led was so much bigger and brighter. Bummer that my new board won't let me do that but, it was time to get rid of that pain in the rear ESC board. Might just hook up the hdd to the power led on the board. Waiting for a few more things to arrive b4 assembling. Already tested and had to send back a video card--PowerColor's HD 6850.

I did break down and order the H2. Last year I bought one of their Hades cases and was very impressed. Went to clean it this year and broke the psu fan filter (ooppss) and noticed one of the feet were coming off. Seems they only glued them on!? All that work and craftsmanship and they glue the feet on?!!

stefan73

Haha you are aware i hope that they offerd the unnamed site where they gave this case shit status with alot of money true adds on there site if they fixed there 1 video this is bullshit and makes me not to trust this site at all.with that said i will check for adds on this site and after that i will make my mind about this site

craigbru

Haha you are aware i hope that they offerd the unnamed site where they gave this case shit status with alot of money true adds on there site if they fixed there 1 video this is bullshit and makes me not to trust this site at all.with that said i will check for adds on this site and after that i will make my mind about this site

With grammar and spelling like this, I doubt your opinion will matter to anyone.