• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official Statement from AMD on the PCI-Express Overcurrent Issue

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
ATX24 is the weak point. It is the equivalent of 2/3 6pin. It cant compensate for the lack of 3x6pin

Actually you can connect as many as this motherboard has 4 PCIe. 16,4,1,1x

Based on connector scheme on AsRock H81 BTC boards, it does seem like people usually use x1 ribbon cables for mining rigs. Indeed possible then.

Secoya

yeah mate.. whatever you say..

on topic: this doesnt seem to be such a major problem, and i love how people have blown it way out of proportion, what do you think happens when you oc a card geniuses?

Well, what normally happens is that if you have plenty of power source overhead to draw from, you never exceed the safe limit of it.

A 180W TDP GTX 1080 has a 225W power supply.

A 150W TDP GTX 1070 has a 225W power supply.

A 170W TDP RX 480 has a 150W power supply....

See the difference? The RX 480 was exceeding the limit without OCing too, which makes this "oversight" epic in terms of being bad for the consumer.

I'm certain those people who have smoke their motherboards really think this whole tihng has been blown out of proportion.

AMD RX 480 NERF incoming btw.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
AMD should know by now that even if one site finds something that it looks like a problem, all hell will get lose. If they where thinking like that, then maybe AMD's engineers live under a rock and have no contact with internet and the real world. Like Nvidia's engineers who where also living under a rock and never noticed that one of their company's products was selling for over 6 months with wrong specs. Or someone in AMD is a moron. Probably he also insists in giving exclusive interviews to unfriendly sites.

It's just simply possible the limit was "unlocked" to be controlled by driver, and the driver did not work right. Like, why offer power limit controls in driver in the first place? It only makes sense to me that the driver would control the power limit and prevent PCIe spec from being overrun without manual changes and some sort of pop-up disclaimer. I can't fathom any way that a card would exceed PCIe specs under any conditions, so I make up reasons why it might be acceptable.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Reducing operating voltage MAY increase performance in thermally limited situations. Decreasing total power limit without changing anything is going to have opposite effect.
Reducing operating voltage MAY work on some GPUs, but due to obvious negative effect on stability (there is a reason why they put the VID it has now) it is too risky to do on all cards.
AMD has also been known in the past to put way to much voltage through their parts to increase yields in the past, especially for mid range high demand products.

Take the llano APUs. The mobile variants pulled 1.3V at their non turbo clock, and 1.415 volt for full boost clock. Seeing those things hit above the base clock was like seeing a unicorn.

Lo and behold, AMD used super relaxed settings to try and boost yields. Most, although not all, APUs could be undervolted. And I dont mean the -50mv that you get out of a mobile i7. You could typically get -350mv off of the core, while running at a much higher speed. For instance, my A6-3400m could do 2.1 GHz at 1.0375 volt, compared to 1.4GHz at 1.3 volt at stock. I could hit the 2.3 GHZ boost clock with 1.1 volt, compared with the 1.415 volt that the stock boost needed. And this was common, a huge number of llano chips acted this way, with only the rare model actually needing that much voltage to stay stable.

So it wouldnt surprise me if AMD could undervolt most 480s without difficulty. How they would do that in a driver is beyond me, but the headroom may be there.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
If this is a driver fixable issue, what about non official driver users?

That is NOT a good solution.

What "non official" driver users? There is just one driver. The official one.

Like Cadaveca said, I think it was a driver cockup as well from the beginning and that's also one of reasons why cards actually perform kinda bad, because they go over the limit while they shouldn't be doing that. They were tested for stock operation and tuned for that. Including the fan profile. Card heats up more than it should for the factory fan profile, making it thermal throttle as well as hitting power limit.

Lets just wait for the damn promised fix and then evaluate it. Damn, AMD makes a statement and instead of people acknowledging it and waiting for the fix, they keep on dramatizing about it. Why we never see that for NVIDIA? Everyone bunch of fanboys and NVIDIA stock owners? Apparently...

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
I found this video to be quite informative:

As I have been saying... If AMD had been smart and made the card overdraw from the 6-pin PCI-E and NOT the MB slot, no problem at all, let it sip current.

The 5 +12V pins on the card and in the slot are simply not meant to carry that much.

This can only be fixed by having the VRM-in completely split, so that the PCI-E Slot and PCI-E External power are separated. Meaning, if there are 6 power phases, feed one, maybe two of them from the slot, and the rest from the external connector. This the only way to limit slot consumption.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Everyone bunch of fanboys and NVIDIA stock owners?
By my calculation you'd have to invest 6.11 million dollars into nvidia to have yearly dividends at 70k usd so you could quit your job and spend all your time on forums deviously trying to raise nvdia stock price.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Except that isn't how it works on modern cards anymore. They have power limits in place to make sure they don't go over their power target. The power limit on the GTX950 with no power connector was 75w. You can up the clocks all you want, but GPU Boost will make them drop back down to keep within the 75w power limit. That is why tests like furmark don't give stupid high power numbers anymore. So overclocking without raising the power limit would still give ~75w.
In that review average power was 74W. After overclocking the GPU at over 1400Mhz and memory at over 2000MHz, the results where close to 20% extra performance. I think I am going to doubt that someone gets a 20% extra performance and stays under the 75W limit. Probably the card goes to 90W(20% extra power for 20% extra performance), if not more considering that usually power consumption goes faster up, compared to performance. If they where getting 1-3% extra performance, I would have agreed with you.

Interesting analogy, but somewhat fitting. In fact, there are MLC SSDs that perform crazy good, almost at SLC levels until you have them filled up a certain amount, then the performance starts to drop off. The reason being that they run all the MLC flash in SLC mode until the extra space is needed, then it switches to MLC mode. But the benchmarks in the review sure look good.

Are those SSDs advertised as SLC SSDs? I believe not. Well, if they where Nvidia products, probably they would. And people would be happy to convince themselves that while being MLC, performing as SLC would made them equal to SLCs. And anyone saying the opposite, would have been a stupid fanboy that hates Nvidia and doesn't acknowledge Nvidia's superior engineering. "It is a good design".

Also SLC vs MLC is not just performance difference. If I am not mistaken SLCs are considered as having better longevity. The same applies to the 970. It is not just those slow 500 MBs. Also less cache, less ROPs, less memory bandwidth. Specs where completely wrong and we shouldn't be giving any excuses to companies.

Just seen the whole video and now I'm even happier that I haven't bought an AMD card since 2008. Signifcant driver and performance glitches are one thing (and bad enough) but potentially killing the mobo with excess current is a new low. There's no way they couldn't have known about this at the design and testing phase. No, they tried to palm off a substandard product and hoped they wouldn't get cought out. It amounts to a kind of fraud FFS. :rolleyes:

IMO these cards should be pulled from the market until the fix has been applied and tested to be effective.

The way this company is going I'm unlikely to ever buy one of their graphics cards again. No wonder NVIDIA can charge what they like for their cards. At least they work beautifully most of the time.
Google Bumpgate + Nvidia. That's a low that AMD probably will never reach. Also I bet you haven't downloaded a single Nvidia driver the last 12 months, considering that you still talk about drivers. Well I think McCoy's words about this argument would have been "It's dead Jim".

As I have been saying... If AMD had been smart and made the card overdraw from the 6-pin PCI-E and NOT the MB slot, no problem at all, let it sip current.
I guess they thought that there are just too many "600W PSUs" costing $20 out there.

What AMD should have done was to lock the GPU at a specific frequency and say "Sorry guys, you will have to buy a custom if you want overclocking". Or they could just offer only a 4GB reference version at $199 and let AIBs made the 8GB cards. 4GB less GDDR5 on board could also help in lowering power consumption.

Last edited:
Cooling Corsair AIO
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
So why does this happen ... stumbled upon the twitch video from @buildzoid (kudos dude) at 53:40 minutes starts the "gotcha" moment where insane board power delivery design is explained ... out of spec 6 pin connector used as an 8 pin and yet half of vcore vrms connected to pcie power pins.

The video: https://www.twitch.tv/buildzoid/v/75850933?t=53m40s

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
Well, what normally happens is that if you have plenty of power source overhead to draw from, you never exceed the safe limit of it.

A 180W TDP GTX 1080 has a 225W power supply.

A 150W TDP GTX 1070 has a 225W power supply.

A 170W TDP RX 480 has a 150W power supply....

See the difference? The RX 480 was exceeding the limit without OCing too, which makes this "oversight" epic in terms of being bad for the consumer.

I'm certain those people who have smoke their motherboards really think this whole tihng has been blown out of proportion.

AMD RX 480 NERF incoming btw.

how many are affected? find me the number. we are talking about 16watt over the specs, 16 ffs.

Sure. Lets go by the book about the specs. So, where do Titan-Z and R9 295X2 get power from then if 8pin is specified up to 150W and it has 2 of them? That's 300W + 75W on PCIe slot. Where's the rest of 110W+ coming from then? From thin air?

Apparently if RX480 would draw those extra 16W from 6pin all would be pink and fluffy. But PCIe oh noes everyone running around losing their shit. Ever thought the fix might involve just that? Limiting power to actual 150W or drawing more power from 6pin? But no, lets generate even more unnecessary drama. When NVIDIA fucks up, everyone gets defensive to stupendous levels. AMD fucks something up, everyone loses their shit and creates so much drama around it even Venezuelan soap operas look shy in comparison... Por favor!

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Sure. Lets go by the book about the specs. So, where do Titan-Z and R9 295X2 get power from then if 8pin is specified up to 150W and it has 2 of them? That's 300W + 75W on PCIe slot. Where's the rest of 110W+ coming from then? From thin air?

Apparently if RX480 would draw those extra 16W from 6pin all would be pink and fluffy. But PCIe oh noes everyone running around losing their shit. Ever thought the fix might involve just that? Limiting power to actual 150W or drawing more power from 6pin? But no, lets generate even more unnecessary drama. When NVIDIA fucks up, everyone gets defensive to stupendous levels. AMD fucks something up, everyone loses their shit and creates so much drama around it even Venezuelan soap operas look shy in comparison... Por favor!

Actually, drawing extra power from the 6-pin or 8-pin PCI-E connector should be relatively safe. Drawing extra power from the motherboard however is not. If you limit your power to 75W for the motherboard you can draw a lot of "out of spec" power from the PCI-E power connector if your PSU is beefy enough. The connectors and accompanying 18AWG wires should be fine for more than the PCI-E rated power (probably close to double if you look at the actual connector datasheets). However, motherboard power tracks and the small contacts of the PCI-E connector aren't designed with that sort of overhead in mind. So AMD could get away with cheating the spec as long as they don't exceed it on the motherboard side. If they can put out a software fix that only limits the motherboard connected phases to 75W then all should be well without actually reducing the TDP.

Cooling Corsair AIO
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
If they can put out a software fix that only limits the motherboard connected phases to 75W then all should be well without actually reducing the TDP.
Well, it seems some of the VRM phases are connected directly to the pcie power pins ... if that's true software fix is unlikely to happen short of undervolt and underclock ... See my post above

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Actually, drawing extra power from the 6-pin or 8-pin PCI-E connector should be relatively safe.

ACE 600W Black ATX Gaming PC PSU Power Supply 120mm Red | eBay

600W, £17.24 inc. VAT

I think there are more (quantity) dangerous PSUs out there, than motherboards. And those PSUs will not go alone to the afterlife. They will take other parts of the hardware with them. Probably the motherboard too. This is the only excuse for AMD choosing the PCIe bus over the 6pin power connector I can think of. Of course I still believe that they have no excuse for the whole mess.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
This is a beatup., Lots of hardware runs out of spec. Lots of graphics cards run out of spec. There is enough headroom built into the spec to handle this.

Its kind of strange how people are going crazy about this, but those same people overclock the crap out of their parts and run out of spec. How do you think we can overclock our shit without our computers blowing up?? Because the hardware is designed to handle more than the spec allows.

This is a non-issue for 99.9% of people unless you have a crappy cheap motherboard from 2005. Any graphics card update can stress an old motherboard, same with other parts like a PSU. A motherboard is most at risk of dying after a major hardware upgrade when it is old.

AMD are releasing a driver update anyway just to shut people up.. If I had a 480 I wouldnt want the driver update, I'd prefer they leave it alone.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Sad part is, they should not have to even make it worse. They could have restrict pcie slot power below the spec and take over power from 6-pin connector(best practice, this way you don't over power pcie slot even while overclocking) or slap that damn 8-pin connector to it.
how many are affected? find me the number. we are talking about 16watt over the specs, 16 ffs.

How many of these exceed the PCI-e portion of the TDP? I'm not talking about the whole wattage: only the PCI-e part of it.

Ordinarily, you'd look @ the PSU for higher wattage needs but, with this card, you can have a ... say ... 1000W PSU and STILL have problems simply because the PCI-e is using more power then it should. This could end up with the motherboard's PCI-e slot's contacts burned because, unlike the 6/8 pin connectors, they are NOT made to overclock.

I don't remember, but is the actual PCIe drawing this much? Sure, it's 166W, but is it actually from PCIe or is it over 6pin? Everyone seems to just assume 6pin is absolutely strict 75W so it ha to be PCIe then. But is it? Who has actually measured it at PCIe? Can't remember the testers who would do this at the moment...

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
the 6 pin connector has pin #2 also delivering 12 V so this 6 pin connector can deliver more than 75W from PSU up to 150W as i see ; i don't know if rx480 PCB has pin 2 connected physically to use current from it....

i'm expecting the release of aib with 8 pin to be sure that i'll buy a correct card.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I don't remember, but is the actual PCIe drawing this much? Sure, it's 166W, but is it actually from PCIe or is it over 6pin? Everyone seems to just assume 6pin is absolutely strict 75W so it ha to be PCIe then. But is it? Who has actually measured it at PCIe? Can't remember the testers who would do this at the moment...

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-overcurrent-issue.223833/page-5#post-3482710

It's BECAUSE it's drawing more then it should that this is a problem to begin with.

Let me give an example. Look @ 2 cards that draw 180W:

- card A: 70W from PCI-e + 110W from 6 pin connector
- card B: 85W from PCI-e + 95W from 6 pin connector

Both cards are out of spec BUT one can end up burning your motherboard (worst case scenario) while the other should not: can you tell which one?

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Just seen the whole video and now I'm even happier that I haven't bought an AMD card since 2008. Signifcant driver and performance glitches are one thing (and bad enough) but potentially killing the mobo with excess current is a new low. There's no way they couldn't have known about this at the design and testing phase. No, they tried to palm off a substandard product and hoped they wouldn't get cought out. It amounts to a kind of fraud FFS. :rolleyes:

IMO these cards should be pulled from the market until the fix has been applied and tested to be effective.

The way this company is going I'm unlikely to ever buy one of their graphics cards again. No wonder NVIDIA can charge what they like for their cards. At least they work beautifully most of the time.

nVidia cards also do that but somehow AMD always gets the drama for some reason... well, to be fair the reason in this case is that AMD knew the card would pull >150w at times and they should have shipped with an 8pin connector but choose to go with a 6pin instead for marketing reasons (the worst kind of reasons).

Thankfully the fix is somehow easy but it's going to be a two part fix as far as I can tell seeing the quoted videos.

1) The fix AMD is going to push via drivers. This will likely set the power limit to 150w and call it a day. Not different from setting it yourself on Wattman.

2) A bios update to curb the PCIe power delivery to 75w and let the rest of the power come from the PCIe slot. The VRM phases are capable of outputting 40w each so there should be no issue for doing this.

The second one is trickier but AMD could potentially release and automatic bios flash tool and label it as a beta driver or hotfix or something.

Why this happened in the first place? I would like to know if all the cards have the same bios version on them. AMD says that the card shouldn't be behaving that way so I have the feeling that there are some 480s out there with a 50/50 power split bios.

Last edited: