• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official Statement from AMD on the PCI-Express Overcurrent Issue

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thought it might be useful to cross-link to the review commentary thread, as The Stilt has managed to find a way to instruct the power controller to redistribute power draw via software (see original thread on OCN here).

The effect is not huge, but it is significant enough to alleviate the problem, especially when combined with undervolting and/or underclocking the card.

I think we can let the issue rest now, knowing it's fully manageable. But we should definitely continue to investigate every aspect of performance - including detailed insight into power draw - of all future VGAs under review.
For me it wasn't a question if it was possible. I was pretty sure it was. I just wondered why it wasn't done so that there could NOT be any questions.

But in the end, kudos to AMD for listening to the grumbling and doing something about it. This shows that they are committed to addressing user concerns, and truly care what people think about their products. Doing this driver change costs them money. Yet I want AMD, and yet, all companies, to adhere to specifications of supporting parts 100%. Spec says 75W, you don't overstep it one bit, and now they give the end user the options!

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
"If you trust your PSU". If PSU is so shit it can't handle more than 75W on a PCIe power connector, then you better not use it entirely because it's so shit it'll most likely blow up by itself.
There are probably more sh!ty PSUs out there than sh!ty new motherboards. I have shown a link for a 600W PSU in one of my posts, that was costing about $20-$25. PSUs based on ancient designs with many ambers at 3.3V and 5V lines. Perfect for systems that still run Athlon XPs. Believe me, plenty of people will buy the best cpu, motherboard, ram, graphics card and when they reach the final part of their system, the PSU, they will start feeling they already spend too much money on their new set up and will go for the cheaper PSU they see available.

I believe that's why AMD chose to pull more power through the PCIe bus than the 6pin. Also as I said before, the same people making motherboards, also make RX 480 graphics cards. I wouldn't believe ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI would be willing to start selling graphics cards that they can kill their own motherboards.

This shows that they are committed to addressing user concerns, and truly care what people think about their products. Doing this driver change costs them money.

And they are paying for it. Every time they come out and say "We hear you, we are fixing it", people add one more example of AMD messing up in their list. On the other hand Nvidia keeps it's mouth SHUT, it reacts like nothing is happening, and only talks about a problem AFTER releasing a fix. If it is something they can't fix, they just don't talk much about it. That way the problems looks like normal bugs, nothing to talk about, keeping Nvidia's reputation about excellent driver support mostly intact.

AMD is like the honest little person panicking when someone is telling him he made a mistake.
Nvidia is like the politician, never admitting there is a problem, or downplaying the significance of that problem.

Last edited:
System Name Steamy
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350M-Pro4
Cooling Wraith Prism
Memory 2x8GB HX429C15PB3AK2/16
Video Card(s) R9 290X WC
Storage 960Evo 500GB nvme
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Power Supply Seasonic SS-660XP2
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/kinski/ http://valid.x86.fr/qfxqhj https://goo.gl/uWkw7n
[..]

AMD is like the honest little person panicking when someone is telling him he made a mistake.
Nvidia is like the politician, never admitting there is a problem, or downplaying the significance of that problem.

That is the ugly truth, here.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
"If you trust your PSU". If PSU is so shit it can't handle more than 75W on a PCIe power connector, then you better not use it entirely because it's so shit it'll most likely blow up by itself.
See the thing is, you are an enthusiast, most people out there go buy a pre-built system, they probably don't even know what PSU they have in it, OK maybe the wattage but not the quality or even the amperage and the only upgrades they are ever likely to do to that system is either throwing some extra ram in a slot or upgrading the graphics card, in some respects the 480 is exactly for them.... an affordable good performing solution.

What's the chance of such people going for RX480 in the first place? People like this buy garbage like RX410 (I made this up), not a 200 dollar mid end card...

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
What's the chance of such people going for RX480 in the first place? People like this buy garbage like RX410 (I made this up), not a 200 dollar mid end card...
Well, when they want to play modern games on a 7 year old system with a dual core CPU some will think that is the answer and that is all my point is, there will be a market in part due to ignorance.

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Steve Burke tries to burn a cheap motherboard PCIE lane using the RX 480 8GB with original driver:

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
brand new cheap board should not have the burning issue, older ones like those first gen Core Series boards are more likely to get burned IMO...

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Steve Burke tries to burn a cheap motherboard PCIE lane using the RX 480 8GB with original driver:

Jesus.. Cliff's notes please? That shit is 15m long.............

JFC, what a waste.. he doesn't even test it in the video, did you watch it yourself before you linked it????????????????????