• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official WoW Cataclysm Thread

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Hmmmm ... The title of the thread says "Official", but it's not TPU sanctioned. Maybe Bond needs an infraction for taking liberties with the title name. :laugh:

Naaah ... This thread will get epic views and posts when Cat' hits the markets.
I keep an eye on it just to keep up to date so I can talk semi-intelligent to my friends who play WoW.

Nice job, Bond. Keep the updates incoming :toast:

Processor Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W @4.3GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
Memory (16Gb) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Storage (2X) Kingston 120GB SSD in RAID 0 & WD Caviar 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
Display(s) VIZIO M321i-A2 32-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED HDTV
Case NZXT Source 210 ELITE Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - Black
Audio Device(s) Creative 7.1 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W
Software Windows 8 Pro 64Bit
News Update

Dual-Specialization Price Reduced
The price of Dual-Specialization has been lowered in a recent beta build, it now costs 100 gold and new players who reach level 40 should be able to afford it without too much problem.

Character Selection Screen - Built-In Theorycraft
In Cataclysm, the character screen will let you check easily how much of stat you need to be capped, calculations for Expertise, Hit Rating, and a few other stats are available. This will probably save you a lot of time when you try to figure out if you really need that extra hit on your shiny new epic.

Build 12804 - Mount Hyjal Update
Mount Hyjal received a very interesting update in the latest beta build. If you visited the zone or looked at screenshots during early beta, you probably remember the huge crater called Archimonde's Vengeance. Well, this subzone is gone and has been replaced with a greatly improved version! The crater is no longer there but the key NPCs of the questlines are still around.

Before
Image1
Image2

After
Image1
Image2
Image3
Image4
Image5
Image6
Image7
Image8
Image9
Image10
Image11

Article Destination

Hmmmm ... The title of the thread says "Official", but it's not TPU sanctioned. Maybe Bond needs an infraction for taking liberties with the title name. :laugh:

Hehe. I'm just that cool. ;D Nah.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
OMG that theorycraft is exactly what is needed.

ctrain

one thing that bothers me is that everything but terrain seems to cast shadows.

it would be pretty great if the shadows would move as the day / night cycled in game.

Processor Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W @4.3GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory (16Gb) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Storage (2X) Kingston 120GB SSD in RAID 0 & WD Caviar 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
one thing that bothers me is that everything but terrain seems to cast shadows.

it would be pretty great if the shadows would move as the day / night cycled in game.

I believe they do already. :/

News Update

Bastion of Twilight - Build 12803 Preview
Bastion of Twilight will be one of the first raid instance of the expansion.

Encounters
There are 4 encounters in Bastion of Twilight, plus an additional Heroic-Only encounter.
*Valiona and Theralion
*Halfus Wyrmbreaker
*Twilight Ascendant Council (Ignacious, Feludius, Arion, and Terrastra)
*Cho'gall
*Lady Sinestra (Heroic Only)

Zone Screenshots
The screenshots of the zones are without NPCs or doodads, this isn't representative of the final instance, just a preview of the architecture. Obviously a subzone like the Throne of Apocalypse is more impressive when Cho'gall is here sitting on his huge throne.
Image1
Image2
Image3
Image4
Image5
Image6
Image7
Image8
Image9
Image10
Image11
Image12
Image13
Image14
Image15
Image16
Image17

UI Addon Functionality Returning
Blue Posts

With the release of the next beta patch, we plan to re-enable the ability for players to use third-party addons. Many of the core user interface features are now implemented in the beta test and functional, so we feel it’s a good time to open up the field for developing and testing UI modifications.

Be sure to continue leaving us feedback about all of the new user interface features here:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...66722&sid=2000

Feedback about the new guild interface can be provided to us here:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...66721&sid=2000

We Are Legendary - Retroactive!
We are making a exception for this guild achievement. Any legendary items you have already earned will count.

New content for the next Beta Patch
We do not plan to patch today, though we plan to have a great deal of new content in the upcoming patch. You'll get access to new zones and dungeons, and potentially an increase in level cap to 85.

Druid
Feral Q&A

Can you make savage roar undispellable?
This is something we're discussing, but haven't made a decision yet.

Will Shred ever have no positional? : \
We like Shred and Backstab with positional requirements. We haven't changed our stance on this. If you find Shred too difficult to use in PvE, then Mangle. If you're not happy in PvE with the damage you can do while Mangling, and can't manage to stay in a position where you can Shred, then I hate to say it but this probably isn't the spec for you. In PvP we think it's more of an issue, but we've also buffed Mangle to where you can do credible damage with it.

Will dash be given the same treatment as sprint? (lower CD lower dura)
We think Dash is fine.

Is the new version of innervate intended to be worth less to specs with small mana pools like Feral?
Yes, exactly. In Cataclysm, healer mana matters a great deal. In that environment, having some dps who can prop up healer mana so well is quite overpowered. It's okay to have utility in providing the healers extra mana, but it can't get out of control. Balance and Resto druids will have bigger Innervates, but then they are also balanced around needing to use those on themselves most of the time.

Can you change the new version of survival instincts to have less of an effect but a shorter CD?, 60% is great, but at a 5 min cd, id rather have 40% on a 3 minute cd or something to that effect ya know?
This is the kind of thing we're still messing with. There are situations where the short cooldown weaker version is more useful and others where it isn't.

Is Bear form damage going to be a little bit higher then it currently is for Cata? can pulverize and mangle at least hit harder then maul? its kinda lame that our talented abilities hit much weaker then maul in bear atm
I wouldn't worry too much about numbers yet. We haven't made much of an effort to adjust them and won't until we're happy with the basic mechanics.

What is the purpose of thorns? you've been consolidating weird buffs so, i figure this is on the list of weird buffs with no real purpose
We think it has more of a purpose with more damage packed into a smaller window than weak damage available 100% of the time. In the latter case you'd never think twice about attacking someone with Thorns because it's never not there. It also asks a little more of the druid to use Thorns at the right time rather than just whenever the buff drops off. Thorns isn't a raid buff on the scale of something like Fortitude or Bloodlust so we see no reason to consolidate it.

Paladin

Crusader Strike
I see this comment a lot, but I don't understand it. Can you explain to me why a 4.4 Crusader Strike is not strictly better than a 4.5 Crusader Strike? That might be the case if your rotation was so jam packed that you can't fit in another Crusader Strike until its cooldown drops by an entire 1.5 global cooldown, but we've gone on record saying that the rotation won't work that way. Hitting Crusader Strike even a fraction of a second sooner means a Templar's Verdict comes that sooner, letting you start the rotation again. That's a dps increase.

Haste is valuable above and beyond the Sanctity of Battle talent of course. Swinging more often is a dps increase alone, and can also lead to more frequent Art of War procs or Seal ticks.

Templar's Verdict at less than 3 stacks will almost never make sense unless you're in a situation where perhaps someone is running away (and for whatever reason you can't stun them etc.) so you might as well hit them now.

Priest

Lightwell Feedback Needed
While any kind of feedback is helpful to a degree, we are much more interested in the feedback of players who have tried Lightwell in the most recent beta builds than those who just never cared for the talent. We are actively making changes to the spell to see how it plays, so it's important for us to know if the changes are noticeable and fun without that feedback getting buried under the cruft of bad reputation that Lightwell has built up over time. If it's still not cutting it, we're prepared to try something different, but we need a chance to see if that is in fact the case.

News Update

Goblin Mount - Goblin Trikes

Someone pointed out in a mail that the only screenshots of the Goblin mount I posted on the front page were awful, and he was right. As far as we know, the Goblin racial mount will be a Trike and just like any racial mount, the Goblin Trike Key and Goblin Turbo-Trike will be usable by all races.

Nothing about the Worgen mount for the moment. (I know you're going to ask)

Goblin Trike
Image1
Image2
Image3
Image4
Image5
Image6

Goblin Turbo-Trike
Image1
Image2
Image3
Image4
Image5
Image6

Exciting talent trees so far - Blue Posts

There was another thread on this topic that kind of turned into the "DK neglect" thread, so I thought I would start a new one on the original topic.

We're interested in opinions on which current Cataclysm talent trees you find the most exciting.
Ground rules:

1) It isn't of much use to us if you like a talent tree because of one particular ability. That tells us little about the talent tree as a whole.

2) Likewise, your opinion won't count as much (in our minds anyway) if you like a talent tree just because it has all the talents you wish *your* class had. In that same vein, this is probably one case where you're more objective when you find that you like your own talent tree rather than just being all wistful about someone else's toys.

3) Please try and stick to the talent trees themselves and not use this thread for your laundry list of ideas to improve your class.

4) Brevity is the soul of wit.

Another way to think about this: Which classes benefited the most (in the sense of coolness, not necessarily raw power) from the talent overhaul?

[...]

Is it equally valid to discuss the opposite of this? As in, what talent trees you feel haven't really been changed at all, or received close to no benefit really of the overall as it's been so far?

The feedback is useful to a degree. The problem is it's really common to see something like "I'm disappointed with my tree. All the other class got a lot of amazing toys and new talents that I really think should be in my tree. All the other classes are incredibly excited about Cataclysm, while the people who play my class are all drunk in the gutter with despair. My tree has changed the least of all the trees and will clearly be terrible in Cataclysm." That kind of thing tends to be a cross between the grass is greener mentality and just campaigning for buffs. If you think you can be really objective about it, then go ahead, but my concern was that we'd get a lot of "My tree is the worst" feedback, which isn't useful when everyone says that about their tree. Ultimately, it's easier for us to make changes when we know what excites you rather than knowing that you want to be buffed (because we can pretty much assume the latter).

Dispellable Buffs

Many buffs can be dispelled because they are magical effects and because it's strategic to do so. Some buffs can't be dispelled either because it doesn't make sense, because the class couldn't function without the buff, or both. Slice and Dice can't be dispelled, but Savage Roar and Inquisition can be. We might decide to make or all or none of them dispellable. We really need to see more end-game PvP to make that determination.

Reforging useful stats

It's a matter of degree. Some players will reforge for a sub 1% dps gain, and that's their prerogative. We don't think the stats need to be that close, but they need to be somewhat close. If Ret paladins perfer crit to haste (or Enhacement prefer haste to mastery, etc. etc.) then that's okay so long as crit doesn't provide twice the dps per stat point as haste. If you're willing to take a previous tier's gear because the stat budget is more optimal, then we've got a problem, as we had a few times in the LK content.

Breaking crowd controls with melee AE

This is a consideration for many players though. A Prot warrior can't just merrily Thunder Clap no matter what -- they have to evaluate their surroundings, decide if it's appropriate to move slightly farther away, or if they just need to forgo their AE attack for the time being. If Crusader Strike constantly cleaved everything, then that would be really annoying. Having to sometimes drop a 15 sec cooldown ability out of your rotation (assuming you can't move or anything) shouldn't be that big a deal. There are no fights that I can remember off the top of my head where you need to keep a target CC'd in the middle of the melee for long periods of time, and if there are any, they are fairly rare. You should be thankful for the opportunity to sometimes respond to your surroundings by doing different things rather than always mashing the same buttons like you are dashing out a song on a piano.

Class Roles

You guys worry way too much about what buckets you're supposed to be in. It seems every time I come to the forums, I am asked to define someone's role.

In PvE, the only roles are tank, dps and healing. In PvP, the only roles are dps and healing (except for very specific circumstances like tanking Drek in AV). Situationally you might be called upon to carry a flag or defend a tower, but that's what you're doing at the moment, not what your talent spec is all about. There are 30 talent trees. They're all a little different. PvP doesn't have positions like quarterback, grenadier, left fielder, drum major or striker. Use all of the abilities you have in order to support your allies and be successful. If you're a Ret paladin, you should focus on melee dps, because that's where your strongest abilities lie.

Sometimes when I do try and explain how we think a spec should work, I often regret it. I'll say something like how Ret is supposed to be a melee dps class, and keep getting asked "Then why do we have heals?" or "Why should someone take me over a rogue if I'm just melee?" Trying too hard to label things is always going to result in a simplistic answer.

I'm not trying to dismiss the question. It's just not the way we think about things.

Death Knight

Death Knights neglected in Cata?

"Neglect" is one of those words that typically makes developers roll their eyes and skip over to the next post. Just so you know.

Even the original DK trees are not very old compared to all the others, so in that sense, they didn't have so many layers of build up cruft that needed shaking off. We've changed up some of the mechanics that weren't working and got rid of some of the boring passive damage, but overall we didn't feel the need to replace talents like say Rime, Dirge or Killing Machine.

I'm just saying that it shouldn't come as much surprise that the most recently designed tree didn't need as much overhauling as say warrior and mage, which hadn't changed much since vanilla.

Druid

Can't use Shred on unusual raid encounters (Kologarn)

When we make an entire instance full of Kologarns then it will be a problem. I think you'll be fine if you can't manage maximum dps on every raid boss. I think the game loses far more when we can't make original bosses with unusual mechanics that we gain by having every dps spec do about the same relative damage on every fight.

Shred position prereq

PvP is rarely ever decided by someone's long term sustained dps though. It has a lot more to do with making the right decision at the right time.

In PvE there is no question that Shred is superior, but in most fights you can Shred. Those few fights where you can't Shred aren't ubiquitous enough to feel like a big deal. If you just find it too difficult to always get behind a creature to be able to Shred, then I'm not sure what to tell you. We don't think this problem is so widespread that Ferals are at a huge disadvantage overall. We agree that Feral has a really high skill cap in Lich King, but that's more do to the John Madden nature of the rotation than to Shred's positional requirement, and it's also something we've taken steps to improve in Cataclysm.

Many specs can't perform their highest 100% potential when mobs are moving or when they have to step out of the fire, but we aren't about to change those in order to make things easier on the player. I think raiding is plenty easy to be honest, unless you're talking about the more challenging heroic-mode encounters in which, yeah, we're asking you to step it up a little.

Innervate

Innervate is now based on YOUR mana, not the target's mana. GC specifically stated this makes Innervate useless for Ferals, as they do not want Ferals helping Healers in their mana management.

That's not actually what I said. I said that we wanted Feral's Innervate to be less powerful than Balance and Restoration, because we don't want "stack Ferals" to be the solution for healers who overheal a lot. Your Innervate will still be valued (probably more valued, all things considered), but it won't be and shouldn't be the magic pill that gets you a raid slot.

Hunter

New Multi-Shot

Our current version of Multi-Shot has not target cap. It's a little like Fan of Knives.

Paladin

Seal Damage

There's no evidence of that though. You're just fretting. We nerfed Seal damage recently because Ret paladins were beating everyone on damage meters. We aren't spending much effort on numbers yet, but we need them to be reasonable enough so that playtesters don't do unusual things that they wouldn't do when the numbers are tuned more accurately.

Holy Power on white attacks?

Holy Power on white attacks was too unpredictable to the point of annoying. Imagine you have 2 Holy Power, start to push Crusader Strike and then at that instant get a white attack proc. Now you have wasted your 1.5 sec GCD *and* wasted Holy Power because you're technically at 4 now. Having Holy Power tied to yellow attacks is at least the kind of thing you can train yourself to watch out for. If you aren't hitting any buttons, then you aren't going to get Holy Power for example. You can notice after every button mash if you got that extra proc or not -- they aren't just happening out of the blue.

Stacking haste for fast Templar Verdicts

If hitting TV after 23 seconds qualifies as burst, then I think we'll be fine. Yes, once in awhile a Ret might get off a 32K Templar's Verdict, but that's not going to global anyone.

[...] Haste for most melee grants them more resources. Ret still isn't super dependent on mana though. It will be limiting enough that you can't spam heals or expensive spells like Consecrate, but it won't be so attractive that if we incorporated a haste to mana mechanic that it would at all be attractive.

Haste for casters makes their spells cast faster, but again you're doing so little of that that it won't be something you really need.

So neither of those mechanics works for Ret paladins. You'll get more damage from autoattacks of course, but so do the other melee. Tying haste to Crusader Strike cooldown is more consistent with the "haste lets you do more" model for the other melee. (There are no general mechanics that let haste lower the cooldown of something, so you're technically inaccurate in that sense.)

Finally, we could have just made the haste affects Crusader Strike cooldown a core mechanic. We made it a talent because we found in playtesting that some players liked CS at a predictable 4.5 sec cooldown and others appreciated having the cooldown come faster with haste.

Interesting Rotations

"Interesting" is in the eye of the beholder, so that's sort of a hard point to argue. We do think it's more complex though. Part of the problem is it's rather difficult for anyone to screw up the Ret rotation on live. If you hit things when they come off cooldown, you'll do pretty competitive damage. You have no resource to worry about and it's pretty hard to throw your rotation off for very long.

The change to Holy Power and adding spells like Inquisition and Zealotry means there is a lot more to juggle. If you let Inquisition fall or you aren't prepared to maximize Zealotry uptime, then you aren't playing to your full potential. If you don't hit TV when you get 3 Holy Power, or if you religiously hit TV but eclipse buttons like Judgement in the meantime, then you're not playing optimally.

Basically we are now engineering opportunities for players to make a mistake. If nobody can make a mistake, then there really is no test of skill and no opportunity for anyone to get better. That's the "faceroll" rep that the tree sometimes gets saddled with -- no matter what you do, you'll end up doing high damage. In Cataclysm, that won't be the case.

If you find you can master the new rotation trivially, then congratulations, you'll be one of the better paladins out there. I am very confident however that not everyone will be able to do so, and so Ret paladins who do a lot of damage will get more respect for being good players than for having picked the right class on the character select screen.

Retribution Rotation

Imagine you did nothing but Crusader Strike and Templar's Verdict. With no haste, you can do a Templar's Verdict every 13.5 seconds. With enough haste to lower Crusader Strike to 4.4 seconds, you can do a Templar's Verdict every 13.2 seconds. In the space in between Crusader Strikes you will be able to Judge and use Holy Wrath and sometimes get Exorcism procs. You might also use free cycles for utility abilities depending on the situation. But your rotation should never be so full that every Crusader Strike must land every 4.5 sec or its wasted. It might be wasted sometimes, but not so often that Sanctity of Battle is an unattractive talent. (Source)

[...] I'm going to leave out the Exorcisms, because they aren't predictable.

Here is a 4.5 cooldown:

0s: Crusader Strike (back at 4.5)
1.5: Judgement (back at 9.5)
3.0: Holy Wrath (back at 18)
4.5: Crusader Strike (back at 9)
6.0: (Hopefully Exorcism)
7.5:
9.0: Crusader Strike (back at 13.5)
10.5: Inquisition (back at 40.5)
12.0: Judgement (back at 20)
13.5: Crusader Strike (back at 18)
15.0: (Hopefully Exorcism)
16.5:
18.0: Crusader Strike (back at 22.5)
19.5: Holy Wrath (back at 34.5)
21.0: Judgement (back at 29)
22.5: Crusader Strike (back at 27)
24.0: Templar's Verdict
25.5:
27.0: Crusader Strike (back at 31.5)
28.5:
29.0: Judgement (back at 37)

Here is a 4.2 cooldown:

0s: Crusader Strike (back at 4.2)
1.5: Judgement (back at 9.5)
3.0: Holy Wrath (back at 18)
4.5: Crusader Strike (back at 8.7)
6.0: (Hopefully Exorcism)
7.5:
8.7: Crusader Strike (back at 12.9)
10.2: Inquisition (back 40.2)
11.7: Judgement (back at 19.7)
13.2: Crusader Strike (back at 17.4)
15.7: (Hopefully Exorcism)
17.2:
17.4 : Crusader Strike (back at 21.6)
18.9: Holy Wrath (back at 33.9)
20.4: Judgement (back at 28.4)
21.9: Crusader Strike (back at 26.3)
23.4: Templar's Verdict

Like Snozberries, I did that math quickly so I may have screwed up somewhere, but assuming I did not, your hardest hitting ability is available 0.6 sec earlier. Not a huge dps increase overtime, but probably comparable to an equivalent amount of crit rating (given that this is not the only haste benefit).

Priest

Lightwell Range

15 yards.

Lightwell vs. Health Stones

Healthstones are good and good players use them. If bad players continue to ignore Lightwell, we can live with that. If it becomes as useful as a Healthstone, perfect.

Also note that ignoring a Healthstone (or Lightwell) will be essentially like casting a mana drain on your healer, which is not the case today.

Article Destination

News Update

This is short and sweet but YES!!

Heroic Shadowfang Keep and Deadmines Available at Launch

Blue Post

Heroic Shadowfang Keep and Heroic Deadmines WILL be released with Cataclysm. You will not have to wait for a later patch.

Article Destination

Last edited:
Sorry haven't been up to par with the updates. Anyway.

HUGE UPDATE

Basically this update is amazingly big so I will just give you a summary and link you to the article. :)

Cataclysm Beta - Build 12942

New WoWTal build

New Titles

New Guild Achievements

New Player Achievements

Tier 11 Set Bonuses

Maelstrom World Map

Spell Diffs

Take a look! Very interesting stuff! :D
Article Destination

News Update

Ok.. This is yet another huge post so I will summarize and link you. :)

Cataclysm Beta - Build 12942 Hunter Pet Changes

Cataclysm Beta - Build 12942 Death Knight Pet Changes

Golden King Video Preview

How Archaeology works

Random Character Services Buttons

New Flight Skill

Battleground Titles and Achievements

Tons of Blue Posts

Player vs. Player

Guild Leveling / Perks

Cataclysm Zone Q&A: Ashenvale

Enjoy! Article Destination

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Nice, nice, though i read all of this on teh mmochamp, still thank you.

News Update

Patch 4.0.1 now on Test Realms

These patch notes are obviously not done yet. ;) It's a start though. The release date must be getting closer now. :)

Article Destination

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
Patch 4.0.1 runs like a champ on max setting.. Bravo blizzard you did a good job optimizing your game. And the new streaming feature is really nice

Patch 4.0.1 runs like a champ on max setting.. Bravo blizzard you did a good job optimizing your game. And the new streaming feature is really nice

Ack! You got in? I hate you! LOL :laugh: j/k

Also you have two GPU's. I hope it would run smoothly. :)

I myself am planning on building a new computer in a month or so before the game comes out. Trying to figure out the GPU situation though :/ Can't decide on which on what to do. I will most likely be purchasing an ATI card. ($400 budget) So I am thinking if I should just get a 5870 right now or just wait and see if the 6k series comes out this fall.

One thing is for sure though. When I go back to this game, I want it to run flawlessly :D I need it to with all the recording I will be doing for the Youtube channel, XtremeGamingPresents.

Any ideas guys for the GPU? Thx

Oh. Sorry to hear that. :(
Are you planning on purchasing a new card before the game releases?

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Ack! You got in? I hate you! LOL :laugh: j/k

Also you have two GPU's. I hope it would run smoothly. :)

I myself am planning on building a new computer in a month or so before the game comes out. Trying to figure out the GPU situation though :/ Can't decide on which on what to do. I will most likely be purchasing an ATI card. ($400 budget) So I am thinking if I should just get a 5870 right now or just wait and see if the 6k series comes out this fall.

One thing is for sure though. When I go back to this game, I want it to run flawlessly :D I need it to with all the recording I will be doing for the Youtube channel, XtremeGamingPresents.

Any ideas guys for the GPU? Thx

Eh, even with dual GPU's, I havent played in a few weeks, but with DX11 on before I could play with everything maxed except, reduced input lag. Like that running around the Worgen starting area I would mostly cruise around at 60 fps, but it could dip into the 40's sometimes, reduced input lag standing still I was at 60fps, but the instant I even moved, 15fps...

What I observed back then was, if you want to use dual videocard to their peak, you will need a monster CPU. My 6 core at the bone stock 2.8ghz puts my 2x 5850's to 99% usage, but at 3.5ghz, WoW was only pushing them to about 65% use, meaning my 6 core was a bottleneck... LOL

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
No wonder the game plays so well on Mac, two 6 core Xeons... lol

Who's Mac? I mean that would be an exception to the rule, as 99.9% of Mac's don't have that kind of power.

But yes that setup should play it great. Here's my take on the performance I was getting. WoW right now is setup to put most of it's stress on the CPU, and that is because, lets say you walk up to Best Buy, or Dell, or anywhere else, almost any comp you walk out the door with will have a good processor and a horrible videocard. So by making it CPU intensive it is the safest bet for people with store bought computers.

The issue with that is, now they are enabling dual videocard support and DX11, they had already been running into these optimization issues with Dalaran, even I only get about 15 fps there currently. And now they are allowing videocards to push some more weight, but seems it's still heavily leaning on the CPU, so it's really crushing both the CPU and the GPU's, where as if they tweak the high end settings more, those should be hitting the GPU's, not the CPU, I'm not sure if I will be playing again before Cata comes out, so I won't be able to say how much optimization of the new engine they have done, but if I do play some more, I will let you all know.

Yeah. With my new build, I am planning on getting the 1090t and hopefully oc it to 4. Then the game should never have frame issues below 60 with a good video card :)

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Get the 1055t, on air or water it clocks almost exactly the same. I run my 1055t at 3.9ghz on the factory AMD heatsink, they clock very easily.

But as far as FPS, I wouldn't count on anything, optimization is usually the last thing that Blizz worries about when setting up the high end options. I mean wtf, 15fps in dala on my setup is very aggrivating, but my old 720BE and 4870x2 got 15fps, and before that my PI 9850 and 2x 3870's also got 15fps, seems no matter the syste, if you run the max settings that that system is capable of, 15fps.

Last edited:

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
Im not sure i'll be rocking 2 vid cards when Cata comes out...Gonna wait till Xmas and hopefully get a HD5800 card of some flavour.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
If you pick up a 5850 you should be good for very close to max settings, or max, hard to say how well it is optimized until I see some raid content or heavily population in a capital, which I don't think any of that has been really done yet on the Beta Server.