• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclock timings and underclock frequency of DDR4 ECC

System Name Lenovo 17IMH05H
Processor Core i7 10750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1660 Ti
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Benchmark Scores i've got a shitload of them in 15 years of TPU membership
I have two sticks of Crucial DDR4 ECC 2666 MHz memory - CT16G4WFD8266. It is a Micron chip underneath, rated at 19-19-19-43 timings. My Xeon E3-1245 V5 drops the frequency to 2133 MHz, despite Gigabyte GA-X170-Extreme ECC supporting higher frequency RAM, but the timings remain at CL19. It's obvious that i will not tolerate this, therefore my goal is to get the RAM working as if it was a Crucial DDR4 ECC 2133 MHz memory - CT16G4WFD8213 chip, and the only thing i know about it is that it is rated at CL15, but i do not know the tRAS, i only know it works at 15-15-15-X.

Question 1: at 2133 MHz CL15, what tRAS should i aim for?

Question 2: can DDR4 ECC be safely used with higher voltage 24/7 of time?

If i could increase the voltage from 1.2 V to 1.35 V, i could aim for CL14 or lower. Is this practical for Workstations?

I would like to get answers form people who actually deal with Workstations, not speculative thoughts from random by-passers.

Got my dual channel RAM working at 15-15-15-33. Additional tweaks: tRC set at 47 from 61, tRFC set at 260 from 467. So far works fine, but have not tested prime95 yet. Will report later.

Last edited:
Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Prime95 stable. DDR4 ECC performance surely can be improved too.

You should remove the term "Workstations". Haven't you been flamed about it enough already? You don't mess with clocks or timings or voltages on a "Workstation". You run EVERYTHING @ stock for MAXIMUM stability. Period. Case closed.

Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
You should remove the term "Workstations". Haven't you been flamed about it enough already? You don't mess with clocks or timings or voltages on a "Workstation". You run EVERYTHING @ stock for MAXIMUM stability. Period. Case closed.

First of all, i don't understand where are you coming from and where did you get this shit ''flamed about''? I think you are confusing me with someone else.

Now, as far as overclocking goes, this was not an overclock. I just wanted to report how i got my default 2666 MHz DDR4 ECC RAM working at the same brand 2133 MHz DDR4 ECC specs, which uses lesser timings. Do you understand what i am saying? There are 2133 MHz C15-15-15-33 server RAM already. So what i have done is only turned one stable RAM into another stable part. I did not know if it was possible, that's why the experiment took place.

Ok then. Let me break it down for you.

1. I don't have you confused with anybody. I guess I just have a better memory(pardon the pun) than you do. For example of the "flaming" in regards to workstations I submit the following.
There is no valid context. These tests are not even seriously work-oriented. WinRAR? Seriously? :-D

Because workstations are not overclocked.
Exactly: in a corporate environment - says your IT department.

Individuals may OC as much as they want.
But expecting a workstation owner to overclock is like expecting a van driver to tune the engine. :)

If you're a typical working photographer, video editor, scientist et cetera working on your private PC - chances are you're spending time doing your job, not overclocking. More importantly: you most likely don't have the knowledge needed.
Most PC enthusiasts who spend time reading CPU reviews, overclocking and benchmarking are not using their PCs for work.
PC enthusiasts may do amateur renders, they may crunch for WCG, they may do all other stuff that takes advantage of powerful PCs... but it isn't working, right? :)

From a practical standpoint, gains from OC are way too small to be worth the fuss and the risk of PC breaking down. :)

From page 1 of your thread here.

2. Tightening memory timings IS overclocking. If the default is CL19 then CL15 IS overclocking. I fully understand your approach and what you're trying to accomplish. What I'm trying to tell you is you're increasing the potential for instability by doing so. This is very "un-Workstation-like" behavior. Open CPU-Z to the SPD tab. Do you see where it says JEDEC under Timings Table? Those timings are what the RAM has been tested, by the JEDEC standards, to run 100% stable with. Now I do suppose you've already done this. And you found no Timings Table with JEDEC specified timings for 1066MHz. So you're essentially trying to guess what they might be. Based on some other similar set of RAM. Well...that's another set of RAM...and you aren't the JEDEC. You're Joe Blow running Prime95. So...good luck with that. Hopefully you don't lose a bunch of productivity/time/money due to RAM instability.

If i could increase the voltage from 1.2 V to 1.35 V, i could aim for CL14 or lower. Is this practical for Workstations?
No, as stated, it is NOT practical for Workstations to be overclocked.

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
My asrock rack WS board let's me change ram timings. Has 2133 ram forced to 2400@CL15 or something like that

altmind

I registered to say that I have the same problem as Artas1984 - I have ECC memory(actually same CT16G4WFD8266 on 2950x and asrock x399 taichi) and I want to see how far I can push it.

I dont understand why people want to gag an interesting discussion because of their own prejudices.