• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking T61P with ThrottleStop - Question / problem on multiplier settings

System Name Dual Socket HP z820 Workstation
Processor Twin Intel Xeon E5 2673 v2 OEM processors (thats a total of 16C/32T)
Motherboard HP Dual Socket Motherboard
Cooling Stock HP liquid cooling
Memory 64GB Registered ECC memory kit (octal channel memory on this rig)
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB
Storage 2 x 512GB SSD in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 23" 75Hz Gaming monitors 1080P x2
Case Brushed Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Integrated (5.1)
Power Supply HP 1125W Stock PSU
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have a bit of a retro build I just finished up. Chose a Lenovo T61p because this was the first laptop I purchased with my own money back in 2007 so it has a special place in my heart.
That original laptop is long gone, so I had to find another one on eBay (I actually bought two). I chose the T61 "p" because it has the NVidia FX-570m GPU. I also decided to go ahead with a CPU upgrade so I went straight to the top of the list and settled on a Core 2 Extreme X9000. This is the most powerful "drop in" chip you can get. Rounded out with a solid state drive and 4GB 4-4-4-12 memory kit. Running Windows 10 pro. For fun, I did get it to run at 4.0Ghz @ 1.4000v core. But for everyday use I have it set to 3.2Ghz @ 1.2125v. Using ThrottleStop to manage CPU voltage and multiplier settings.
I am currently using TPFanControl to manage my CPU fan and keep temps under control.
I am also using ThrottleStop 8.5 to overclock and undervolt the X9000.

The problem I am having is that ThrottleStop does not seem to work on the half multiplier increment if I'm overclocking. For example, if I set the multiplier to 16.5, it will only register as 3200Ghz. (200 x 16) and so on. So this is a very minor issue, but prevents some additional fine tuning of the CPU clock. I notice I can set the multiplier to half increments if I go below the original multiplier of 14 (ie if I am under clocking the CPU, I can choose 13.5 and it will result in (200 x13.5) = 2700Mhz. Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this or if it's just the way ThrottleStop is set up, or a limitation of the CPU?

Thanks,
Silas
IMG_20180413_123040095.jpg

IMG_20180413_120812187.jpg

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this or if it's just the way ThrottleStop is set up, or a limitation of the CPU?
I have checked ThrottleStop and I know it is working OK. ThrottleStop allows you to request half multipliers but when these do not exist, the CPU will use the closest whole multiplier. Just a limitation with these CPUs.

Always fun to see someone running 10 year old laptop technology at 4 GHz. These CPUs were way ahead of their time. The ability to overclock them by adjusting the multiplier was a well guarded Intel secret.

The QX9300 was another Core 2 era processor that loved to be overclocked. scook9 used ThrottleStop as well as some BCLK overclocking to reach the top of the heap at HWBot.

https://hwbot.org/submission/1014630_scook9_cpu_frequency_core_2_extreme_qx9300_4333_mhz

System Name Dual Socket HP z820 Workstation
Processor Twin Intel Xeon E5 2673 v2 OEM processors (thats a total of 16C/32T)
Motherboard HP Dual Socket Motherboard
Cooling Stock HP liquid cooling
Memory 64GB Registered ECC memory kit (octal channel memory on this rig)
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB
Storage 2 x 512GB SSD in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 23" 75Hz Gaming monitors 1080P x2
Case Brushed Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Integrated (5.1)
Power Supply HP 1125W Stock PSU
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hey, thanks man! Without your work on developing ThrottleStop, people like me would be outta luck for Core 2 extreme overclocks on these older laptops. You guys really make these old school overclocks possible a decade later. Now we can combine a little of the old with a little of the new - the best of both worlds. Makes for something that can withstand the test of time.