• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Refuses To Boot Again 1 Month After Reinstalling Windows

System Name BloodRage
Processor R5 2600X PBO enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite
Cooling Arctic Esports Duo
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000
Video Card(s) MSI VENTUS OC 2060 Super
Storage 120GB PNY SATA + 1TB WD Blue M.2
Display(s) Samsung CRG5 144hz QD
Case CiT cheap chassis
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy FX
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III Gold 650w
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Red Dragon Kumara
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So I made a bootable contest USB, booted into it, and I just get this message.
Side note: Your OS is borked, period. Overclocking and changing voltages will not help with that. You need to repair windows or reinstall... THEN tweak your voltages, etc. If it works in safe mode, then it is something low level OS/driver related that is corrupted.

Drive failure?
CDM is a benchmark... I dont think it reads SMART data.

Try Hard Drive Sentinel..
Avrona said:
Ok so I downloaded it and that shows my drive as also completely fine.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Flash the BIOS from the BIOS...not Windows. That is how you should do it in the first place.

But I'm confused, you said you are at the latest version....

...why are you flashing again (and not following the other instructions?). My suggestion is to focus on one thing at at time... you're all over the map (per usual).

Side note: Your OS is borked, period. Overclocking and changing voltages will not help with that. You need to repair windows or reinstall... THEN tweak your voltages, etc. If it works in safe mode, then it is something low level OS/driver related that is corrupted.
Exactly, and starting with an OS that's corrupt won't help, your unlikely to be able to save the OS.
If it's baulked, start by unbaulking it.
But if it were me I would do it with ram at jedec settings of 2133.
It is your ram IMHO ,patriot viper sell cheap but very compatible memory In my experience.
Did you already swap ram's from what to vengeance Lpx? ,
And four sticks, bought in two pairs no doubt or as a quad set?.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite
Cooling EK AIO 120 D-RGB
Memory Corsair Vengenace LPX 2x8GB @ 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Aorus GTX 1080 Ti
Storage 1x 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe, 2x 1TB hard drive, 1x 120 GB SSD
Display(s) Aorus FV43U
Case Corsair 110R
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z Card, Sennheiser GSP 600, Razer Nommo
Power Supply be quiet! System Power 9 600W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Exactly, and starting with an OS that's corrupt won't help, your unlikely to be able to save the OS.
If it's baulked, start by unbaulking it.
But if it were me I would do it with ram at jedec settings of 2133.
It is your ram IMHO ,patriot viper sell cheap but very compatible memory In my experience.
Did you already swap ram's from what to vengeance Lpx? ,
And four sticks, bought in two pairs no doubt or as a quad set?.
I did swap the RAM out last year, but that was mainly because I needed DDR4 RAM for my new motherboard and CPU and not DDR3. I do already have it set not to run in XMP so should I try to reinstall Windows with that setting then? And in the end what could be causing it still seeing how at this rate I will be reinstalling Windows every month.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I did swap the RAM out last year, but that was mainly because I needed DDR4 RAM for my new motherboard and CPU and not DDR3. I do already have it set not to run in XMP so should I try to reinstall Windows with that setting then? And in the end what could be causing it still seeing how at this rate I will be reinstalling Windows every month.
We've answered what we feel is the problem. We are, yet again, waiting for you to listen with comprehension and follow instructions in order to weed things out. Asking the same questions again and again in the face of this is frustrating to say the least (and par for the course... I swear you would be better served taking some Ritalin, lol).

Clearly, Avrona, he is talking about swapping out the RAM on your NEW system, not an old one... why would you think that matters........?

Did I miss something or are we going down the Avrona hole again... I can't do it, lol. o_O :ohwell:

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Did you buy a quad set or two dual channel sets?

And no stop using XMP it's an Intel standard AMD has no legal or technical ties to use or formally test.

It does sometimes work, but that's not garaunteed.

Try jedec stock 2133 then you will have to work to gain better speeds once the problem IS resolved.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite
Cooling EK AIO 120 D-RGB
Memory Corsair Vengenace LPX 2x8GB @ 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Aorus GTX 1080 Ti
Storage 1x 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe, 2x 1TB hard drive, 1x 120 GB SSD
Display(s) Aorus FV43U
Case Corsair 110R
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z Card, Sennheiser GSP 600, Razer Nommo
Power Supply be quiet! System Power 9 600W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
So I finally went to reinstall windows, I plugged in my 2 drives which I would need to do so on another, fully working PC, and now that one won't turn on...

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
So I finally went to reinstall windows, I plugged in my 2 drives which I would need to do so on another, fully working PC, and now that one won't turn on...
Why, download windows 10 usb stick installation software from Ms have it make a usb install drive on a usb stick and run it on it's own solely with the install drive.

So regardless of pc, you want just the drive to install on fitted and a win10 install usb.

No other drive fitted.

Putting a corrupt OS drive in a system with a working OS has clearly confused the motherboard bios boot order.

It's usually managed but it's not got AI , it's dumb, and doesn't automatically know what to do if it sees two drive's with windows on, it also has no idea which works or which you intend to boot from.

I have asked twice ,this will be the last time I think.

Did you buy four memory sticks as a quad set?

Or two separate dual channel kit's?

It matters.

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
You never managed to boot off Memtest because your motherboard is set to boot off the windows boot manager before the USB in UEFI mode.

In the BIOS you need to enable legacy boot and then either use the boot overrides to boot off the memtest USB stick or put the USB boot above the system drive or windows boot manager in the list.

Did I miss something or are we going down the Avrona hole again... I can't do it, lol. o_O :ohwell:

I'm starting to see what you mean lol. Instructions aren't followed but new problems are being added to the mix at an impressive rate instead ;)

BikeHelmet

You seem to want a shotgun fix rather than methodical troubleshooting & diagnosis, but you haven't listed all of your specs, which is problematic. I will try to help, but with so little info I can't be very precise. I have built a lot of Ryzen systems though, so I might at least be able to point you in the right direction.

#1 reason that I have seen Ryzen be unstable is untuned memory.
#2 reason is too high wattage PSU causing severe voltage fluctuations.
#3 reason is too high core voltage. (Drop it to improve stability.)
#3b reason is too high LLC or inverse LLC (some motherboards) which causes #3.

Many motherboards have bad RAM profiles, especially for Corsair memory. They will pull incorrect settings which you must override. G.Skill and Kingston profiles are pretty good, so many of those drop in okay. Then you just enable XMP and set the right speeds and voltages and off you go. The latest beta BIOS's have improved RAM compatibility a lot, so grab the latest betas if RAM is your trouble causer.

For testing you will want to set your RAM voltage to 1.4 or 1.45v. A lot of people with Ryzen will buy 800-1000w PSUs of bronze or lower quality. Power supplies run best in the 20-75% load range. Down under 5% load, like when just starting the boot process, some lower quality PSUs have RAM voltage fall well out of spec. I have seen 0.06v droop. (1.2v -> 1.14v) which is obviously completely atrocious. The only solution to such enormous droop is to crank that voltage up. If it's rated 1.35v, set it at 1.40 or 1.45v. That ought to do it. Hopefully it doesn't do the inverse of a droop and fry it. Samsung B-Dies can take like 1.7-1.8v before death, so there is some wiggle room here depending on your RAM, but if your PSU or mobo VRMs regulate poorly, expect gradual RAM degradation from voltage variations, and eventual death. And buy a better PSU next time. I run a 550w Titanium one. They were cheap - nobody wanted those for mining. It was like $120, and the voltages don't even change in software. They just stay the same. Really tight regulation.

Okay, you have 3000mhz RAM. That's less than ideal. Ryzen works best with 3200mhz RAM. (or 3600mhz for the 3000 series... soon Ryzen CPUs with 2000mhz internal will exist, so then 4000mhz will be ideal for them). I would try to hit 3200mhz, even if you have to loosen your timings 7%. Just go in and check all the Auto settings, bump them up 7% with a calculator, rounding up. Then try 3200mhz and see if it POSTs.

If you're on 1st gen Ryzen, set voltage to 1.4-1.45v. For 2nd gen, 1.3-1.35v or less. For 3rd gen, 1.2-1.25v or less. Start at stock speeds, turbo and C1E power saving off. After you get a clean Windows install you'll bump up your stock speed slowly, then run OCCT and see if your system crashes/freezes. I have always found that Ryzen systems die if you overvolt them. (Which happens on Auto settings.) By dropping voltage a bunch, I could unlock several hundred mhz extra. It'd look something like this:

Ryzen 2700x 8 core
1.150v: 3.7ghz limit
1.175v: 3.8ghz limit
1.200v: 3.9ghz limit
1.225v: 3.9ghz limit
1.250v: 4.0ghz limit
1.275v, 4.0ghz limit
1.300v, 4.0ghz limit
1.325v, 4.0ghz limit
1.325v, 4.0ghz limit
1.350v, 4.1ghz limit
1.375v, 3.8ghz limit
1.400v, 3.7ghz limit
1.425v, 3.6ghz limit

Ryzen is not over-voltage tolerant, so to get a really stable system you need to do the tuning before you dive into using it (as you may corrupt your OS), and select a high quality power supply before you start a build. Otherwise - headaches ensue.

Hope it helps. P.S. Best to be methodical if you want to know what actually fixed it in your case. But if you do all that, there's a good chance it at least POSTs and you can install Windows and start tuning from there.

A list of all your parts would certainly help with being more specific.