1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pc Starts From PSU Switch. Need Help.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Conflict0s, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Guys I need help. I think this is the right area to post this thread. Anyways, I just got my new hardware and I was booting down my pc to start stripping it and putting my new stuff in.
    I hit "shut down" And it began to shut down. I then turned my monitors off and my pc powered down, (what I believe to be shut off) but as soon as I turn my back, the thing boots back up...So I thought "hmm ok maybe I hit the restart instead" So I turned my screen back on, to find no signal.
    My fans are spinning, my pump is pumping and it feels like I have grounded my pc (you know when you power it up to check that everything is working but you haven't actually powered your motherboard).
    I haven't a clue what to do. It wont let me restart (holding the power button or reset button)
    When i switch it off by the PSU switch, Wait, and then turned it back on (threw my psu switch) It automaticly boots up, without me even touching the power button.

I am complete blanked to what to do… Accept clear cmos?

This is the first time it has done it to me within the 9 months I have had this pc. I am running windows xp, and I did get some windows updates last night, but I don't think that is the problem as I booted down and back up this morning and everything seemed fine.

Hope you guys can help.

2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Just a quick thought, try disconnecting the case power switch, in the unlikely event its that.

Otherwise it might be a short or something, otherwise I'm stumped

I have had it where the system was unstable and I had to flick the PSU switch to turn iot off, but never had it turn itself on.

3. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried reseating these?

[​IMG]

4. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Ok, just tryed it, i unpluged the reset and the power switches, I then turned my psu back on and it still turned all my fans on and pump. So am i correct in saying that it isn't actually powering my pc up, it is just powering my fans and other "external" device and that is why i can't see anything on screen?

Daym i hope my 24pin hasn't shorted something like my mb. I mean it is't all bad because i have just bought my i7 hardware but still... :( I wanted it for a secondary pc.

5. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if pins for your pwr switch are arching some how. I know if you throw a jumper on it it will do the same thing

6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    The fact that it powers up but doesnt post is what is worrying me.

All I can find on google is dead boards doing that :ohwell:

7. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Mine did that because of a little short-circuit, try looking for anything loose or out of place, like screws, etc

8. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Ok I had a look, I disconected all of the little "jumper switches" (the ones that you said) and it still powerd up.
    I am going to clear cmos and hope for some magic reason it will work, but i can't see any shorts or anything and i find it weired that it only happend when i booted down :/

9. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is your board grounding its self somehow?

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Completely tear down your PC and rebuild. There is most likely a short occurring somewhere.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't appear so. And yea i think that is going to be my next step. At the moment, i have taken my gfx card out and just running threw on board, i have cleared cmos and now i am going to try and boot up...Ok same thing happend.
    I am going to start taking it apart now.

12. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    pull your mobo and set it on a anti-static mat and try.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fingers crossed for ya buddy

14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Your PC is jealous it's getting replaced by the i7 system, and is trying to draw your attention instead of you waiting impatiently for your DDR3 RAM xD

Good luck with the Rebuild!

15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good luck. If the problem persists after reassembly, contact Silverstone's support and tell them your situation. It's possible there's a bad switch in the PSU.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    LOL Don't I know it.

And the thing is, I can't contact Silverstone...well I can but there would be no point because they wouldn't accept my PSU back as I have chopped all the molex connectors of and fitted terminal blocks there Lol. But I assure you this is not the error of my problem.

At the moment, I again don't know what to do. I have my hardware out of my case, all connected up, I am running on board graphics and have one hard drive plugged in. I turn my PSU on and it boots up (nothing on screen though), so I short out the reset pins and it shuts it off...But my fans keep spinning, so it has got to be something to do with my 24 pin right?
    And I was going to keep this PSU for my i7 build but there is no way in hell I will be putting it near it now.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, if anyone else can think of other solutions I will defiantly try them out, but for now it looks like I have to get a new PSU :( I hope my E8400 hasn't blown.

17. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a PSU issue. Can't you borrow a PSU from a friend or somewhere to test it?

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Well I just tried booting up again and the same thing is happening, although now I don't think it is my PSU that is the problem, I think it is my motherboard. So yea I think I will try and lend a PSU of my friend and hopefully it will ether boot up fine. Or I will find that my motherboard is dead, but at least I won’t have to fork out for another PSU.

The reason why I now think it is my mb is because all my fans are powered up and my board doesn't seem to be actually "on" (LED Ethernet light isn't flashing, but I don't know if it does flash or not on bootup) but also when it is powered up and I try and turn it off by shorting it out, it is like there is no power there because it won't turn off. So I think that power is just running threw my board doing nothing accept making the connection to allow my fans to spin up.

19. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    if you want to see if it is the PSU, unplug everything except a few fans and DVD drives.

If when you flick the switch then it powers up, the PSU is faulty

If it doesnt either mobo is faulty or there is a short.

20. rampage

Thanks Received:
    i had an simlar problem ages ago.. (shut down pc, then it would boot back up again) i think it was somthing like "wake on lan" was enabled in the bios, have you checked that ???

21. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    The fact the computer doesn post as it comes back up tells me its not a Wake feature.

It does sound like a bad mobo :(

22. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I had this exact thing happen to a friend of mine. It was during a motherboard swap using the same case. Except the new motherboard was Micro-ITx and the little risers you attach to the case to get the motherboard elevated, well they weren't all in the same location. So he actually had those risers touching the back of the motherboard in places they shouldn't be touching. Once we fixed that, everything worked fine, and luckily didn't damage the motherbaord.

So make sure you are only using the risers needed, and make sure you are using all that are needed.
    http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn...com/tutorials/images/buildsystem/IMG_6805.jpg

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    I am afraid I can't even check it, as I have no signal going to my monitor with onboard or with a graphics card.
    I have just tried what you said Alex and it looks to be a dead motherboard. My fans didn't spin at all and when I connect the green and earth wire together on my PSU my fans spin up.

So now is the question... do I let it near my i7 board, or do I fork out £130 :/ I mean I know which option I want to choose lol, but is there any other way to test my PSU, because I can't just test it on my mates rig because I might blow his motherboard.

And thanks for pointing that out, i will make sure when fitting my new motherboard that non of the risers hit, but currently it is out of the case and it still isnt booting.

24. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Oh nevermind, this just started, and you have had the board for nine months, and is now outside the case...lol. sorry. Well yeah, kepe that in mind for the new install I guess.

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    You can get PSU testers but the fact the PSU responds as it should when not connected to the mobo says to me its fine.