• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenom II 920 owners - What are your overclocking results?

DeputyRob

I have a Phenom II x4 920 and I'm trying to up my processor voltage to provide more headroom. Unfortunately, the "highest" setting available under the "Processor Voltage" heading on my motherboard is 1.3000V (See attached photo). My motherboard is an ASUS M3A78 Pro, a low- to mid-level board I bought at MicroCenter. Now I see all of you pushing 1.5000V and I can't figure out why I'm unable to go higher than a pathetic 1.3000V. Can someone assist me? Am I looking at this wrong or what?

D

Deleted member 67555

How odd my mother board is set at default and is at 1.34v

DeputyRob

I'm even more confused because both Core Temp 0.99.4 and CPUID Hardware Monitor show different values. So am I at 1.3500V, 1.4200V, or 1.3000V (as per my motherboard)?

Do you have a physical overvolt 3 pin header on your motherboard? My M4A78-E has one right by the CMOS clearing header.

DeputyRob

Do you have a physical overvolt 3 pin header on your motherboard? My M4A78-E has one right by the CMOS clearing header.

I'll have to check. Incidentally, I tried to adjust voltage using AMD's Overdrive v3.0.2 but it locks up my computer every time. Completely worthless piece of software.

mordant80

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4GHZ
Motherboard ASRock 890FX DELUXE3
Cooling Swiftech Custom Water Setup
Memory Patriot Viper II 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PV234G1600LLK) @ 1667 7-7-7-20
Video Card(s) HIS Reference HD5870 core:1000 mem:1250 / EVGA 9800GTX for PhysX core:792 mem:1152 shaders:1998
Storage WD Black 1TB / Seagate 1TB
Display(s) Acer 23inch 1920x1080
Case LIAN LI PC-P50WB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-S-B 950W
Software Windows 7 X64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage:P22970 SuperPI 1M:17.382
Blue screened. Will have to try later.

You're exactly where I am... I can run 3.6 all day long but I cannot make 3.7 stable no matter what I do. I can make it boot, but cannot get it stable.

D

Deleted member 67555

I have not got this chip stable past 2.9ghz though I think it has more to do with my memory than my cpu, my memory only runs stable at 800,860,950,1044,1066,1094mhz. I suppose I could get a lot more out of it with better memory, but for now with this memory OC'ing means less performance for me

I'll have to check. Incidentally, I tried to adjust voltage using AMD's Overdrive v3.0.2 but it locks up my computer every time. Completely worthless piece of software.

Thats not going to work because it is physically limited by the board itself. AMD OverDrive won't be able to overvolt. Did you find the pin I was referring to?

I have not got this chip stable past 2.9ghz though I think it has more to do with my memory than my cpu, my memory only runs stable at 800,860,950,1044,1066,1094mhz. I suppose I could get a lot more out of it with better memory, but for now with this memory OC'ing means less performance for me

Are you using all 4 dimms? If so, try using only two dimms and see if that increase stability. Also, try upping your vdimm voltage, and also try upping the NB voltage. What is your NB running at?

D

Deleted member 67555

NB +.1 for all 4 sims, but still nothing memory becomes unstable(even with 2) I've had the cpu clocked higher with pc-8000 overclocking ram, but ram was only at 960mhz- but stable OC= normal performance so just went with pc-8500 and stock speeds- I'm sure i can go a lot higher IF I get ddr2-1200mhz memory- currently I am overclocked 6mhz Yay though I can run it at 2854mhz at normal temps and volts

DeputyRob

Did you find the pin I was referring to?

No. But here's a picture of your board. Can you Photoshop an arrow indicating where this pin is? And if I do have it, what do I have to do with it to adjust voltage?

eze

You're exactly where I am... I can run 3.6 all day long but I cannot make 3.7 stable no matter what I do. I can make it boot, but cannot get it stable.

Yea I haven't had time to drink around with it since.

ablech

System Name lil dragon
Processor amd phenom II 920
Motherboard J&W 790 gx xtreme
Cooling sunbeam ccf
Memory team xtreem pc 6400 @ pc 8800 5-5-5-15 2.0v
Video Card(s) msi 4870 1gb oc
Storage 500 gb wdc green power
Display(s) viewsonic va 1716w
Case dreaming cm cosmos S
Power Supply bs pro 500watt
Software vista ultimate sp1
Coming from 2.8Ghz, that is a hefty increase ablech. I really doubt 100% stability can be had at 3.8+ with a 920. The highest stable I can get is 3.65Ghz or so, sadly it requires a lot of juice to be 100% stable. I still run my rig at 3.5GHz (24/7 use) because the voltage increase required above that to attain 100% stability is just too high imo.

im using mine @3.6 for daily,it just need 1.4 volt for make it stable,, but this is my last post in this thread :( gonna sell my x3 (even im like it a lot) and try d new amd x2 550 and try to unlock it,,, god luck johny :toast:

D

Deleted member 67555

I'm Stuck at 3.5ghz by a thermal barrier Air cooled, vcore+.1 Nb +.1 Nb cpu vid+.025 HT link at 250
mem set at 4x 5-5-5-15-24 2t row refresh 0,2 75ns rows 1,3 125ns
Completely stable except takes very long time to resume from hibernation if at all
Like johnyfive there I will be moving away from AMD to go Intel after this rig
Sorry but next year when AMD finally releases a cpu to compete with the I7 920 I expect to be beyond that. I've tried very hard to make things work with AMD systems but it's just not worth the time and money. This system almost competes with my q9450 p45 setup (ddr3) ,but not quite
When someone tells you how good AMD is, as far as bang for your buck consider this, $245 for a pII955 $200 for a good AMD 790 mobo $100 ddr3 1333 $545 total rest of system same price
I7 920 $260 x58 (as good as the 790)$200 with sli or crossfire $100 ddr3 1333 $560 total
for $15 your a year ahead of AMD does AMD still sound so good? it does not to me

D

Deleted member 67555

I'll finish that thought now.....
I moved to AMD 2 days after the lga1366(I7"S) came out pissed off that my brand new q9450 was outdated just like that, and I've been trying to make it work ever since. After reading about how sweet the phenom's were i tried the 9600be,not so bad for $120, then this plus, about 5 other AMD cpu's, and you no what i've learned AMD SUCKS BALLS green slimmy unwashed smelly INTEL BALLS and they always will!!! MORE EFFICIENT REALLY!!! how by taking 40 seconds longer to complete a calculation with a 5watt power savings.... Yeah that makes sense.... AMD is good for one thing GAMING and thank god for that cause that's the only thing i use them for....

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Thats not going to work because it is physically limited by the board itself. AMD OverDrive won't be able to overvolt. Did you find the pin I was referring to?
AOD can over volt the core mate.... ask Kei.... i sent him a modded AOD program for W7 :D

DeputyRob

I agree, jmcslob. For a few bucks more, I could have had a far better PC with Intel products. AMD is merely a second-rate "bargain basement" enterprise which ultimately saves you nothing. A friend told me to go Intel and I was a fool for not listening.

And the other problem: I'm at 3.3GHz with OCZ Gold memory and an ASUS M3A78 Pro motherboard that can't be pushed over a lousy 1.3v. ASUS is aware of the problem but all they'll do is continue to sell the board that's allegedly spec'd to 1.7v. E-mails to Tech Support come back with generic replies that say little more than "ASUS doesn't support overclocking." Huh? After spending too much time on the phone with ASUS all they could offer me was an "opportunity" (what a joke!) to send the board back to them for bench testing--somewhere in Asia! Needless to say, while my board is being "tested," I have no Windows-based computer. With that said, I will never purchase another ASUS product again. All they had to do was provide me with a product which meets the specifications on the box and ASUS is unable to do that after a year of empty promises to rectify the problem with BIOS updates.

DeputyRob

AOD can over volt the core mate.... ask Kei.... i sent him a modded AOD program for W7 :D

All AOD does on my Windows7 RC1 system is cause it to crash. Completely worthless. Perhaps you could send this "modded program" to the rest of us...

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I agree, jmcslob. For a few bucks more, I could have had a far better PC with Intel products. AMD is merely a second-rate "bargain basement" enterprise which ultimately saves you nothing. A friend told me to go Intel and I was a fool for not listening.

And the other problem: I'm at 3.3GHz with OCZ Gold memory and an ASUS M3A78 Pro motherboard that can't be pushed over a lousy 1.3v. ASUS is aware of the problem but all they'll do is continue to sell the board that's allegedly spec'd to 1.7v. E-mails to Tech Support come back with generic replies that say little more than "ASUS doesn't support overclocking." Huh? After spending too much time on the phone with ASUS all they could offer me was an "opportunity" (what a joke!) to send the board back to them for bench testing--somewhere in Asia! Needless to say, while my board is being "tested," I have no Windows-based computer. With that said, I will never purchase another ASUS product again. All they had to do was provide me with a product which meets the specifications on the box and ASUS is unable to do that after a year of empty promises to rectify the problem with BIOS updates.
Second rate basement dweller? :slap: lol..... your a fool...:slap: dollar for dollar your getting a better build using the current amd build.... do your research...:roll:
I been running Asus for the past 2 yrs and never hade a single problem with them!!!! suck it up dude.... dont blame what ya screwed up!!!

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
All AOD does on my Windows7 RC1 system is cause it to crash. Completely worthless. Perhaps you could send this "modded program" to the rest of us...
um you need to stop using auto clock!!!! it fails us all.... im using ver 2.16 without as much as a hiccup.... the latest aod is wrapped around the R890 chipset :toast:

DeputyRob

Second rate basement dweller? :slap: lol..... your a fool...:slap: dollar for dollar your getting a better build using the current amd build.... do your research...:roll:
I been running Asus for the past 2 yrs and never hade a single problem with them!!!! suck it up dude.... dont blame what ya screwed up!!!

Huh? The box the MB came in says it's capable of 1.7v. No one would run it that high, of course, but 1.5v is certainly not unusual. But the ASUS M3A78 Pro tops out at 1.3v, something I didn't know until I attempted to overvolt my system. So how did I "screw up" when there's a systematic problem with the M3A78 Pro? If 1.3v is the ceiling on this board then its ASUS's fault, not the consumer, to claim voltage is adjustable up to 1.7v. Again...ASUS knows this is a problem but they're not going to stand behind their product. Instead, they claim they'll "test" the MB because they know 99.9% of consumers aren't going to bother. Hell...shipping to Taiwan or wherever the hell it'd be shipped to would probably be about a third of the purchase price of the board.