1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenom II X6 & "NEW" Phenom II X4's on the way!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nt300, Feb 7, 2010.

1. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Sock eating ftw! :rockout:

Cause the names of the CPU in the platform will come out of the Leo constellation I'd assume.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/5/1/amd-opteron2c-phenom-codenames-explained.aspx

2. By the time "bulldozer" is released, Intel will have an entirely new micro-architecture to smoke it. Probably 8 or more cores.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Uh....no.

When Bulldozer comes out Intel will have Sandy Bridge which is 6 cores with useless HT with an Intel GPU on die to make it suck even more.

AMD high end desktop will be 4 or 8 Bulldozer "cores". Which means 4 or 8 of these monsters.

I will admit though that since apparently Intel is power gating the L3 cache on the laptop Westmere parts, I would think that it would make it in Sandy Bridge. If that's the case, then SB will be very impressive in use numbers.

4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Considering the desktop 6 core Intel model is going to be the extreme edition at $1000+, I think $500 for the AMD is very reasonable. I don't think this is targeted at gamers as much as it would be encoders and rendering people.

5. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    AMD’s Bulldozer is not meant to outperform Core i7, it's meant to slaughter it beyond belief and outperform Intel's Next gen CPU. When AMD finally releases Bulldozer, Core i7 would be old technology.

AMD's Bulldozer is either going to 1) Bulldoze or 2) get Bulldozed. I strongly believe in (1) though Intel’s next gen does also look quite promising. I admire AMD’s determination due to the fact they are ages smaller much less R&D and yet they still have what it takes to release Monstrous CPU’s.

AMD is being very innovative and smart about Bulldozer because designing a Next Gen costs a lot of money, R&D money AMD doesn’t have much of.

Bulldozer has been designed to easily expand over time over & over again w/ "Major" performance increases such as what you would see with New Next Gen Builds. It’s built on a modular design concept from what I've read.

In reality, Intel can successfully release a completely new Next gen CPU design every 16 to 18 months due to the unlimited R&D they have. This is why Bulldozer has to succeed & outperform beyond belief.

Just my take on the whole situation. :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    Intel havn't made anything completely new in ages, i7 is based on Pentium 3 or Pentium 4 :laugh:

7. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have been watching the court battle not exactly. It was developed by the same team who designed "Yonah" however they integrated stolen technology for which they have no rights to.

8. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Didn't you hear? Intel disected AMD's Athlon 64. Now we have Intel's version of Hyper Transport, IMC & other features that were already designed by AMD. My point is Intel followed where AMD lead ;)

The 1st Phenom was a flop because AMD rushed it out the door fast because they got cought with there pants down. AMD's CEO at that time was at fault thinking he can run with the Athlon 64's success for as long as he can while Intel just jacked the clock speed in the Pentium 4. Well, surprise surprise, Intel released the Conrore design which was a Pentium 3 on Roids. :laugh:

Thank goodness AMD's new CEO was AMD's past CTO. This guy has brains and knows how to run a company the right way, this is why I have faith in Bulldozer :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

fixed

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    This may help you http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net/

Mussels says thanks.