1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Plants don't grow near Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Black Panther, Jul 23, 2013.

1. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    What type of router did they use and what was its broadcast power and what type of antennas did it use...

I have plants near my router and they are growing just fine, the plants grow between the router and a cordless telephone. In fact I have had plants grow on top of microwaves that were used daily...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    coconuts in our farm house has gone from being atleast 30cm min dia, to 10cm max dia in those that are close to cellphone towers.

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    LOL

Go to the nearest store that has seed packs in stock, alfalfa would be good. Try to get the same seed batch numbers and then mix them all together to spread.

Moist/wet papertowel on a plate covered with plastic wrap. Should be sprouting in 2 days.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i've read some of the "incorrect amount of water" "differrences in sunlight". I can accept the idea of the sunlight being different, the first one though, even if its a high school experiment, isn't hard to do. If i remember to my HS days(3 yrs ago) the kind of students that would do this kind of experiment weren't the reckless, retard students that just throw something together and give it a name.

I give them more credit than the rest of you. and seeing as how it was in a regional science competition, not just a class or school wide competition, there definitely would have to have been data kept on paper to support their results, such as a description on position(which would give way to sunlight exposure), water volume used, seed type, etc.

I find it believable and its not the first time we've heard of our wireless technologies possibly having an affect on living cells.

MT Alex says thanks.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but seeds are very very picky. I put down grass seed to cover some bare spots in my yard a few months ago. One spot sprouted in about a week, the other took about 4 weeks before it showed any signs of life. The one that sprouted quickly got slightly more shade during the day, that was all it took to make a huge difference.

There is so much that could have affected the seeds and prevented them from germinating, or slowed the process down to the point it seems they haven't germinated. Even the humidity in the room could cause this affect. If the room with the "dead" seeds had dryer air, this would cause the water they gave the seeds to evaporate quicker and that means the seeds got less water than the ones that grew.

Or maybe one of the students went behind the others back and put a few drops of weed/grass killer in the plates when no one was looking because they wanted a result so they would have their 15 minutes of fame...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    Peter1986C says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd suggest water-saturated cottonwool but no plastic wrap since that would encourage moulding and lack of air circulation.

I wish this experiment ends well, the only professor interested I found on google was Prof Olle Johanssen and though I certainly haven't read up everything on him he seems to be eager to prove all that stuff about cellphone radiation and wifi causing cancers etc.... :ohwell:

The way I see this is like the butter vs margarine issue. First everybody used to eat butter, then there was the 'saturated fats will kill you with clogged arteries' scare. So margarine emerged as a hero. For a decade or so. Then they discovered natural butter is good and margarine was the heart attack culprit.. and that there were carcinogenous ingredients in margarine. Now, at least in my part of the world, both are considered as 'bad' and olive oil emerges as the 'hero fat' who falls just short of curing the world of blocked arteries and cancer... And probably in 2023 they'd discover olive oil as being the culprit for infertility or something

Anyway, better to be safe than sorry. Our house is on the largish side and the router is in the room next to where our kid sleeps. I'll be moving it further away. Moving it away won't hurt (but might make it safer 'just in case' all this was true...)

And it's a great thing I don't live with my parents any more. In fact I'm not gonna tell my parents about this out of respect for my younger bro who still lives with my parents :roll: (they'd turn off the router immediately... and forever... :eek:),

7. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    This just means this particular weed doesn't like something. I have bunch of cactuses near my Linksys E4200 and they grow just fine. Same for plants on the window shelf.

It also seems a bit extreme that you see such major difference. That alone makes me doubt the results, because even proven bad things are never THIS drastic. Considering my time next to routers, all my limbs should have fallen off me years ago and all plants in large diameter around it shouldn't grow at all, but they haven't...

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't see a real problem. Just don't put a router in the room where you are growing your pot garden vegetables.

Kursah, MT Alex, Peter1986C and 3 others say thanks.
  9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that was my first thought too. the router increases local temperature? which reduces humidity?

this kind of experiment is extremely easy to replicate for everyone at home. and extremely difficult to get right by scientific standards :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The warmth of a router should actually help a seed sprout.. as long as they are kept moist.... the seeds, not the router.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    From what I've gathered so far, here's how the experiment goes:

1. Take a paper plate an dry towel, throw some dead seeds on it. Put it next to your router.
    2. Take another plate with a moist towel and put some good seeds on it. Put it away from your router.
    After 3 days post your results, concluding that WiFi kills all living things.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  12. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    this is what I was thinking too... If anything the plant near the router should have grown better..

Stick a fork in this thread and move it to general nonsense cause it certainly isn't science

Peter1986C says thanks.
  13. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    The result of years of "Thorough" testing by our governments....
    /insert sarcasm..

14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    To be honest we don't yet know the long term effect of many of the radio waves. That goes for tons of other stuff too. That doesn't make me careful at all, but it does affect some people.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    People please don`t panic this is easily explainable. When the owner has no router connection and no internet has nothing better to do than to water the plants and in second scenario when he put router in the same room as plants he most likely will connect to the router and go to TPU and totally forget the plant :D.
    As far as I`m concerned router could potentially kill a dog :D.

16. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I think it might have to do with the router running a little hot and also kinda drying the air around it rather then the signal. THIS IS BS AND I CAN'T BELIEVE EVERYONE IS BUYING INTO THIS CRAP.

and they think cell phone signals don't do anything... do they also own a microwave? or a cordless phone? or baby monitor?

Also could be a ploy from the cell phone carriers.... to get more people to not use free wifi at home and instead rack up huge data charges....they know more people use wifi at home/hotspots and barely use thier data services and they wanna change that.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  17. gerradfaegan

gerradfaegan New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow...

I wonder how true this is...? I think it should be reproduced as well, and agree that if it affects plant life, it likely affects human life too...

18. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Judging by all the enthusiasms a week ago of people wanting to redo this experiment, and the lack of posts about their outcome now, I'm kinda assuming people weren't able to replicate these findings in a (semi)controlled environment.

Or,

Did anyone actually try this out at home?

19. Petey

Petey

Thanks Received:
    Have another wireless router ghost story, at certain locations they can trigger shock collars. My bothers dog was over at a relatives house and at one spot near the desk with the router. The shock collar would trigger. The dog would dance and look like what the hell I didn't do anything wrong. Tried it my self and zap, I think it was a older model of router shared same Signal some where. strange, routers abuse little fuzzy animals too, not only plants, and techs that try and work on them. If you ask me the Techs get hit the hardest by the cruel maze of programming software. Satan's tools of destruction, or at least my brothers dog, and some Techs that have tried to get them up and running think. I suppose electrical volt meter with a amperage clamp would tell electrical field, then RF signal makes plant seeds lazy, to busy surfing the web through photosynthesis.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  20. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    I was working OT at work a lot last two weeks, that should ease up now.
    I'll have results, pics, and data, once I've rounded up all the materials and cleaned up my room to accommodate them.

Mathragh says thanks.
  21. Maleko

Maleko

Thanks Received:
    I have a plant growing two meters from our router.... been fine for the past two years.

Would defo love to see this re-done. :toast:

Peter1986C says thanks.
  22. Petey

Petey

Thanks Received:
    You figure the electrical signal from the router could activate, photosynthesis. Give the plant a electrical charge, and grow faster. kind of, jump start activity. I wonder if there are other experiments with plant growth and electricity. Like if you have plant near a cell phone, will microW signal stunt or accelerate growth. Or power lines, the trees's seem fine around power lines, but may different species of plants react differently. 12v or 120ac is there a diffrence, typical college students leave so many facts out. Some one forgot to bring the seeds in the sun after they germinate.

Peter1986C says thanks.
  23. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Plants Vs. Wifi

24. Petey

Petey

Thanks Received:
    A horror movie in the making.

25. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Lots of computers, routers and plants here are living happily next to each other without problems for decades. I only lost an orchidea ones (years ago), but that was because of too much water.