• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Plasma replacement - to LED or not to LED

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
LinusTechTips made a video recently about that Pixel Cleaning feature.

It will not work forever, and it's basically sanding down an uneven wood floor, so you're wearing down good pixels to match the bad ones and this can't be undone.

Also not that simple. LED's are super non linear brightness wise. To match up the curve they use presets, and they know that usually the green one is the first one that kicks the bucket. They do shift the overall curve. It ain't burning down. The magic that makes OLED screens happen is rather complex actually.

I know that as I can calibrate out burn in for certain phone models too if the right conditions are met, so I can have a peek to the things that are sent and set into a OLED driver IC, where the calibration profiles are saved. Basically a screen from factory is an uneven mess anyways, they do calibrate it to make a even white balance, so there are cases when the pixels are already at whacky curves since start.

And they work totally fine afterwards. They stop deteriorating at the old places. I've seen devices I've calibrated like 3 years ago and were totally fine.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I will say I appreciate your insight. I learned a few things today.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Not any LED backed ones I've seen. It might be possible I guess but it takes an absurdly long time.
It is not backlight where burn-in happens. Whether backlight is CCFL or LED has very minor effect on that.

It will not work forever, and it's basically sanding down an uneven wood floor, so you're wearing down good pixels to match the bad ones and this can't be undone.
They also had a number of technical inaccuracies. For example according to what we know about LG's W-OLED it does not have separate subpixels of different color.
I would consider the sanding wood explanation for the pixel cleaning a bit suspect as well. There is some truth to it and it is a nice simplified analogy but the technical explanation of how Pixel Refresh works is quite a bit more complex and includes other ways than "sanding down".

By the way, forums and impressions say OLED light setting is quite significant in terms of OLED burn-in and Linus was running his at 80(/100). Plus, since Pixel Refresh runs regularly when TV is turned off there is also reliance on the TV being turned off regularly and giving it some time do do its thing.

Last edited:
That is not true. LCDs can and do get burn-in. Granted, it usually takes quite a while.
While that was once true, the advent of LCD technology refinements have made it problem of the past. "Burn-in" on LCDs was generally limited to passive and active martix TFT types. Modern panels will not experience static image retention to any degree the user/observer with notice.

Yup. I posted that very video on page 3 of this thread..

The point of that post was to give the OP, @andersun9 something to see and think about in consideration of replacing their existing plasma TV. OLED screens might be beautiful, but they do and will degrade, just like plasma screens. Modern IPS LCD screens may not measure up to the same absolute beauty of OLED, but they get close and without all of the potential problems. They're also less expensive. With an LCD TV, you get more bang for buck.

The PHYSICS that makes OLED screens happen is rather complex actually.
Fixed that for you. There is nothing "magic" about display technology.

They also had a number of technical inaccuracies.
No, I have some experience with OLED screens and for once Linus got the technical details right.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
They're also less expensive.
Depends. Some of the real high end Quantom Dot LCDs actually can exceed the cost of OLED. They have real nice peak brightness the OLED can't even dream of though. Situational, really.

Practically all LCDs today are active matrix TFT :)
TN, IPS and VA panels are loosely related in functionality to the old matrix TFT panels but modern LCD panels have a large number of advances that set them apart from the panels from decades ago and the difference vary based on the technology in question. However, one thing is common among them all, they do not experience burn-in/image-retention.

Depends. Some of the real high end Quantom Dot LCDs actually can exceed the cost of OLED.
True, and...
They have real nice peak brightness the OLED can't even dream of though. Situational, really.
There we go.

The choice of what type of TV to buy has never been so vast. At the end of the day, personal preference is what matters most.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Id keep the plasma in another Room and get the best possible LED based LCD for yourself bro

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I'd keep the plasma in the coldest room during winter...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
Well, the premise of the video is "hey, maybe OLEDs still aren't all that great for monitor use", so I don't quite see the problem with that? Large static white-background windows are a pretty significant portion of monitor usage for most people. If all you do is game? Go for it, as long as you're varied enough for UI elements to not burn in. Movies, TV? Same. He does mention that the GX in his living room is problem free after a much longer period of use than the CX desk "monitor" after all. And the conclusion is still that these are fantastic panels, just for those who can live with a shorter lifespan than you can expect from an LCD.

Well, it's good to know you didn't watch the video before criticizing it, I guess? 'Cause he details his setup quite explicitly. Please don't be that lazy. And while you're technically correct on the "pure white image" part (which, as I said above, is pretty much unavoidable for monitor usage unless it's a pure gaming monitor), you're still 1/3 overall. At least do your research, eh?

Well, Linus ran his at 80% brightness but otherwise with all mitigations on, and still got visible retention after three months of 8-10h/day usage (not quite 7 days a week, I expect - he's likely a workaholic, but hopefully not that bad). So clearly YMMV. No doubt it comes down a lot to the specifics of your use case, but him (and Wendell) getting clearly visible retention that quickly does show that it can happen quickly. The pixel refresher mostly removed it, but that comes with its own long-term tradeoffs. It's probably manageable, but at the very least it's a good idea to consider your actual workload and APL before going for an OLED TV as a monitor.

First generation? His monitor that the video covers is a 3-month old CX (or C1?) 48". Those are definitely not first-generation. 10th and 11th?

As for "normal" TV usage, the mitigations likely work well, but "normal" computer monitor usage? No amount of pixel shift or logo dimming is going to mitigate retention from text documents, excel spreadsheets, white/light background web pages, etc. And auto-dimming of static images makes for terrible UX for reading or working with mostly-static documents etc. The main takeaway is that OLEDs are best suited for high motion use cases, and not mostly static ones. So, if your monitor is >80% a gaming monitor? I'd say go for it. If not? I'd stay with a good LCD, even if you lose out on some things. Your priorities might be different than mine, but I know that my workload would cause retention very similar to what Linus showed in that video (after three months) - and to me, a monitor lasting less than five years is entirely unacceptable, and less than 10 is disappointing. So that rules out OLED, at least for now, even if I would no doubt love the image quality.
Well I'm all in. Had my CX since January this year. I do a mix of stuff each day from gaming to multi-media work, TV usage and browsing. I'm using all the mitigation techniques I know about so I'll see how I go... No burn in yet!