• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pls Help with OC'ing Radeon 9800XT...very confused?

Guttboy

System Name First Build 2009
Processor Intel E8400 (E0) 3.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283 (120mm)
Memory G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX260
Storage WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm 32MB SATA
Display(s) LG W2600H-PF 25.5" (1920x1200)
Case Cooler Master CM690
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Hi all,

I have been attempting to OC my ATI Radeon 9800xt card and I am very very confused.

First off I have downloaded the latest Catalyst Control Center (CCC) version 6.12.

What should I set the settings in CCC for when I try to OC? Is there a set procedure for OC'ing with ATI tool?

I have also downloaded the ATItool version .26 and version .24.

Version .26 was the first one I downloaded because it stated it was stable. I was able to get the MAX core and MEM settings to 432mhz/385 respectively.
At this point, I played America's Army for a while with no degragdation (3 hours).
I then re-ran ATItool and was constantly getting artifacts even at the stock settings of 412Mhz/365Mhz.

The confusing part is that CCC is now showing a constant temp of 20degreesC.

========================
Flip to this morning....I download ATI tool 0.24.
I uninstall .26 then install .24 for ATI tool. The temps now show 20degreesC most of the time although sometimes they hit 69degrees.

What could be going on?
========================

If ANYONE with experience on this would care to help out I would be in your debt. This is pretty frustrating and I am pretty new to the OC'thing.

On another note....can you manipulate the AA/AF in CCC while the ATI tool has loaded your new OC settings?

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Regards,

Mike:)
==================EDIT=======================
When I stopped searching for artifacts and max mem/core in ATITool .24 the temps showed 61C/41C for the GPU/Temp chip. However, the CCC only shows 20C for the temp and the OC is what I have set from ATI tool.

Any thoughts as to how far I can OC the card as well? Stock cooling mind you on the card.

Last edited: