• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Limit Throttle issue with HP Laptop

NicerDicerPlus

I own an HP Envy x360 laptop with an Intel 10510U CPU and an MX250 GPU.
While playing League of Legends on the laptop, I initially get good FPS (~120) with the CPU using around 15 watts of power.

After approximately 10-15 minutes of gameplay, the frame rates drop to below 30, and the processor only draws 6-8 watts as it enters PL1.
During this time, the clock speeds are reduced to 800MHz, even though the temperatures are below 65°C.
After finishing the game, the laptop takes a few minutes to return to normal clock speeds.

Start_good.png
End_bad.png

I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• FIVR.png
    FIVR.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 104
  • TPL.png
    TPL.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 110

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Use ThrottleStop 9.6

Check the MMIO Lock box in the TPL window.

ThrottleStop does not work correctly until you disable core isolation memory integrity and anything virtualization related. Follow the guide in my signature to disable VBS. Delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and post some updated screenshots.

Also disable BD PROCHOT on the main screen of ThrottleStop.

In the TPL window, set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Oh and dont forget the power brick - make sure its not overheating or anything. I ran into one situation where hot power brick somehow triggered throttling in a laptop, despite there being no way to communicate that to the laptop itself - possibly just the voltages going out of spec.

NicerDicerPlus

Use ThrottleStop 9.6

Check the MMIO Lock box in the TPL window.

ThrottleStop does not work correctly until you disable core isolation memory integrity and anything virtualization related. Follow the guide in my signature to disable VBS. Delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and post some updated screenshots.

Also disable BD PROCHOT on the main screen of ThrottleStop.

In the TPL window, set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0.

Thank you very much for the responses.
I have now tried it with ThrottleStop 9.6 and disabled core isolation, memory integrity, and VM-Platform, as well as Windows Hypervisor Platform.

After.png

However, the issue persists.

Edit: For some reason, the PL1 is ignored when I open and close the laptop 3-5 times in a row. Then, the CPU ramps up so much and draws so much power until it reaches thermal throttling.

Edit_NoThrottle.png

After unplugging and re-plugging the power supply, it limits the power back to 15 watts.

Attachments

• FIVR_2.png
    FIVR_2.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 87
  • TPL_2.png
    TPL_2.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 70
  • VBS.png
    VBS.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Windows-Features.png
    Windows-Features.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
If you look in the Device Manager you might find something called the Intel Dynamic Tuning driver. This driver can set power limits lower than what ThrottleStop lets you set which will interfere with maximum performance. If you can find this driver, consider disabling it. That driver or an embedded controller (EC) likely forces your CPU to 15W or less during any long term test.

The 10510U has a 15W TDP rating. The cooling system of most devices that use this processor are not designed to cool a 30W or 40W CPU. If you set the turbo power limits sky high, the CPU will overheat and it will need to thermal throttle. Either find a way to improve your cooling or do not set the turbo power limits so high. Clear the Disable Controls check box and set the turbo power limits to values that your cooling system is capable of managing.

For some reason, the PL1 is ignored when I open and close the laptop 3-5 times in a row.
Some laptops might not set the EC turbo power limits consistently when resuming from sleep or resuming from hibernate mode. Sometimes the power limits that it sets might not be set at all. ThrottleStop only has access to the MSR and MMIO turbo power limits. During testing, ThrottleStop always applies the MSR and MMIO power limits consistently after resuming. If the EC power limits are set differently or lower than the ThrottleStop MSR power limits, the EC power limits will be the ones in control of your CPU speed. If the EC power limits are sometimes not set, the ThrottleStop MSR power limit will be the one that controls your laptop.

Most people that want to use ThrottleStop to control the CPU voltage in Windows 11 are not able to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux.

NicerDicerPlus

Thank you for the help.
The power limit of 15 watts has now been lifted, and I have limited it to 30 watts in ThrottleStop.
My cooling system is handling it well.
Removing the Intel Dynamic Tuning driver was not necessary.
I also had to re-enable VBS, as I use WSL2, and it works without issues even with it.
Reducing the CPU voltage didn't make much of a difference in performance after some testing on my system