• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Previously working GPU not working with new motherboard

System Name Potato of Doom
Processor Intel i7-2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory 12gb DDR3
Hello all. First of all excuse me if I explain things badly, I will do my best though.

A friend gave me his old motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H, with Intel i7-2600k 3.40 GHz. He also gave me an SSD where I installed a fresh Windows 10 64bits. That's where the problems began. It wasn't letting me install Windows 10 because of disk type or something like that (I was using an USB to do that), but I managed to pull through by changing some options about Legacy and stuff. So far, so good-ish.

But here came the biggest problem. My Radeon R7 250x is not giving any output on my monitor (conected by VGA because my monitor doesn't support HDMI, but the Radeon does). I can enter the BIOS and Windows only if I have my monitor plugged to the motherboard and not my graphics card.

In Windows, my Radeon doesn't show in the device manager, only the integrated graphics.

I already tried other sockets for the graphics card, but same result. I tried many options in the BIOS, regarding UEFI, Legacy stuff but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing there, so I hope you can help me regarding that. I'm sure it has something to do with BIOS configuration but I cannot seem to land in the exact configuration my graphics card needs to function properly.

I already updated my BIOS to the lastest full release.
I already flashed my BIOS, both with the battery and the clear buttom in the mobo.

Please, can you help me? I will make sure to answer all your questions and try all the possible solutions available to me. My Radeon worked perfectly in my other motherboard, and even though my friend had this motherboard laying around for some time, he used it with a graphics card too.

Thank you.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Processor: Intel i7-2600k 3.40 GHz
Graphics card: Radeon R7 250x
RAM: 12gb

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
In the BIOS, have you changed the video output from your motherboard to the GPU? I will see if I canlook up that BIOS screen for you, but I’m only on my phone since cable is already out with a hurricane in the vicinity.

EDIT:
In the BIOS, do you see an “init display first' setting? Not sure from memory which tab in the BIOS. Either MIT or System?

If you do, thenselect PEG. Save and exit the BIOS and switch your connection to the video card. You should be abke to get into Windows after this.

Go to BIOS picture 4 on this review, under Peripherals:

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
In the BIOS, have you changed the video output from your motherboard to the GPU? I will see if I canlook up that BIOS screen for you, but I’m only on my phone since cable is already out with a hurricane in the vicinity.

EDIT:
In the BIOS, do you see an “init display first' setting? Nit sure from memory which tab in the BIOS. Either MIT or System?

If you do, thenselect PEG. Save and exit the BIOS and switch your connection to the video card. You should be abke to get into Windows after this.

I tried doing that but the black screen persists. When entering to the BIOS again, the "init display first" switches back to auto. I tried the same thing with PCI but same thing.

Thank you for answering! I hope we can fix this together.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
What is your PSU?

You said you did that screen in the BIOS. Did you hit save when exiting the BIOS, and switch the adapter to your Radeon? Just trying to see it clearly.

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
What is your PSU?

You said you did that screen in the BIOS. Did you hit save when exiting the BIOS, and switch the adapter to your Radeon? Just trying to see it clearly.

This is my PSU:

When setting the "init display first" I save and quit, then before it boots up I turn off the PC, switch the adapter to the graphics card and same thing happens. Should I switch on the fly while it boots up?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Should I switch on the fly while it boots up?
No, the way you did it is the safest way to do it.

EDIT:
Ok, did you clear CMOS beforehand or is it still using the settings from your friend’s install?

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Did you remember the 6 pin PCI-E cable?

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
Did you remember the 6 pin PCI-E cable?

Yes, it is plugged in and the card shows the green light. I tried other racks but same thing. I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in correctly. If it's worth mentioning, the motherboard displays this code: A0

Thanks for joining the quest for fixing this!

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
I edited above I think before you responded. Are you still running all the motherboard settings your friend did or did you either set it to default settings or clear CMOS?

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
I edited above I think before you responded. Are you still running all the motherboard settings your friend did or did you either set it to default settings or clear CMOS?

Oops, sorry about that. I tried with the motherboard settings my friend had, I tried setting up my own, and I also did the CMOS thing, first removing the battery (I googled and that was the way I found), but then I realized the mother had a buttom for it, so I also did it in that way. Right now it's all set to default.

Another thing I did was flipping a switch in the motherboard. It was set to "SW4" , I flipped to the other way (no marks in the motherboard on that side), but all it did was removing some options from the BIOS, at least that's what it seems to me.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
I hate to run on you but I’m losing power now. Gonna charge my phone while I can still. I will check on you sometime tomorrow.

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
I hate to run on you but I’m losing power now. Gonna charge my phone while I can still. I will check on you sometime tomorrow.

Dude, no problem at all! Thanks for commiting yourself to this, I really appreciate it, even if we don't fix it.

Processor 5930k @ 3.7 normally; can do 4.1 stable
Motherboard asus rog rampage 5
Cooling noctua server two fan air
Memory 16GB @2133
Video Card(s) 1670 ti
Storage several SSD adding nvme soon
Display(s) lg 77" cx 4k, lg 55 b8 4k
Case big tower lots of fans including side and top fans
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply seasonic 1200watt
Mouse adjustable vertical
Keyboard really cheap
Software windows 8.1, Linux -dual boot different drives
This may sound weird but occasionally works... unplug or switch off the computer until all lights go out (or give it time for all capcitors to discharge). I know you pulled the battery but don't in this case. Also do you have a different rgb cable you can try?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I'll throw in I've ran into a perfectly good card not working in certain boards.
I can pop it into one and it doesn't work, then place it into another of the exact same model, BIOS file used and all else (Simple board swap) and it does fine. The board it refuses to work with is good and works with others so it's not a problem with the board itself being bad, it's just for some reason it simply won't work in that board and this same card is like that with a few others too.

If there is another board/system you can try the card in do that to determine if the card itself isn't the problem here.

I'd also try a different card with the board to make sure it's not the board itself messing with you.

By trying it both ways you'll be able to determine if it's the board or card at fault.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
could you explain "(conected by VGA because my monitor doesn't support HDMI, but the Radeon does) " better?

I'm not sure why its not showing in device manager, but weird adaptors you're using could be part of the issue. VGA doesnt hot-detect either, so it has to be plugged in before powering on the system too.

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
Yes, it is plugged in and the card shows the green light. I tried other racks but same thing. I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in correctly. If it's worth mentioning, the motherboard displays this code: A0

Thanks for joining the quest for fixing this!
A0 is the code for IDE initialization. If it's stuck there it would indicate there is a resource allocation issue being caused by the GPU (not always GPU, for reference, but since adding the card causes it, I would say yes in the case).

When using the onboard graphics are there any other codes displayed after POST?

Personally, I would disable onboard graphics and set 'init display first' to PEG and see if Windows can be re-installed with that setting.

Note: I'm assuming you were able to go into the CMOS setup while plugged into the R7's VGA.

I haven't had my coffee yet so I hope I know what I'm saying. lol

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
This may sound weird but occasionally works... unplug or switch off the computer until all lights go out (or give it time for all capcitors to discharge). I know you pulled the battery but don't in this case. Also do you have a different rgb cable you can try?

Don't worry, it doesn't sound weird. Sadly, I already did it and nothing. I'm pretty sure the problem resides in the motherboard or the BIOS, I had this exact same monitor, cable and graphics card running in my previous motherboard just 2 days ago before switching to this one.

I'll throw in I've ran into a perfectly good card not working in certain boards.
I can pop it into one and it doesn't work, then place it into another of the exact same model, BIOS file used and all else (Simple board swap) and it does fine. The board it refuses to work with is good and works with others so it's not a problem with the board itself being bad, it's just for some reason it simply won't work in that board and this same card is like that with a few others too.

If there is another board/system you can try the card in do that to determine if the card itself isn't the problem here.

I'd also try a different card with the board to make sure it's not the board itself messing with you.

By trying it both ways you'll be able to determine if it's the board or card at fault.

This graphics card works in my previous motherboard that I was using just 2 days ago before switching to this one. I also tried 2 different graphics cards I have and same results, even though they also work in my previous motherboard.

could you explain "(conected by VGA because my monitor doesn't support HDMI, but the Radeon does) " better?

I'm not sure why its not showing in device manager, but weird adaptors you're using could be part of the issue. VGA doesnt hot-detect either, so it has to be plugged in before powering on the system too.

I was pointing out that my graphics card supports HDMI, but I don't use it because my monitor doesn't support it. But, now that you mention it, I use an adapter to connect my VGA monitor to the card.

This is the card:

As you can see, I need to use an adapter to connect my VGA into it. I use this one:

A0 is the code for IDE initialization. If it's stuck there it would indicate there is a resource allocation issue being caused by the GPU (not always GPU, for reference, but since adding the card causes it, I would say yes in the case).

When using the onboard graphics are there any other codes displayed after POST?

Personally, I would disable onboard graphics and set 'init display first' to PEG and see if Windows can be re-installed with that setting.

Note: I'm assuming you were able to go into the CMOS setup while plugged into the R7's VGA.

I haven't had my coffee yet so I hope I know what I'm saying. lol

When using the onboard graphics, at least right now, the code is 04.
I was not able to get anywhere while plugged into the R7 because it's just a black screen. All I can do is use the onboard graphics for everything. So I think that even if I set the "init display first" to PEG (like I did before) and have my Windows USB ready I would have the same result, or does having the USB ready affects the process from the beginning?

I'm sorry if I'm explaining myself wrong. I had my coffee but that didn't work for me :D

Thank you everyone for your help! I hope we can get deeper and find this Cthulhu hiding in the BIOS.

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
Card not being displayed in the device manager is a problem. If it's plugged in the board and has proper power cable it should be displayed whether you use it or not.

Processor Intel i7-2600k
Memory 12gb DDR3
Card not being displayed in the device manager is a problem. If it's plugged in the board and has proper power cable it should be displayed whether you use it or not.

There must be something I can do in the BIOS. There are many options, I just don't know the correct "order".

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
@OP,
Is Windows 10 fully updated?

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK

Yep, cheap cables will sometimes not work, also probably mentioned but swap PCI-e slots. Swap Power cable for different ones(VGA power).

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
@Fancypantaloons any success yet? I concur you should try: different cables (power and display), as well as swapping in a different video card. I don’t think the card is the problem since you said it worked in the previous system.

It’s possible, but not likely GPU got shorted by static electricity and now doesn’t work. You could verify this by trying it in a different system.

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
See post #18.
Try another card in the board or your current card in another board. This will let you know if you have a card or board issue.
Cable will make no damn difference if the rig ain't seeing the card to begin with.

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
I'm not the PC guru here, but if the card works to where you can see and get into the bios settings, my guess is the slot and card is good. I've never had any experience with a HDMI to VGA adapter, wouldn't there have to be some other type component thats integrated into a cable like that, for it to even work correctly in the OS?