• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem in second OS (XP sp2)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Hi all and thanks in advance for any possible help.

I have 2 oses in my PC. The old one XP sp2 and the newest one which is 7 64 bit. While my 7 work without any problem at all, my XP partition cannot fully load to show desktop but it passes the loading CP screen and stays in a black one showing noothing. The small led light on the case shows that loading process continues (although it gets into a pattern of 3 secs on, 1 sec off) but mechanical disk stops making noise. I checked the disk having XP in without any problem. The exact partition was loading last month I tried and now it isn't. Any one here experienced that in past and knows what could be done to solve it?

Last edited:

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
I was having problems with XP Pro (no sp) not installing on newer hardware. What worked for me is I used nLite to slipstream sp3 and ahci drivers into the new disk. It installs and works like a charm now.

Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Thank you for this info but problem here is that this install was working good for years and suddely decided to not load desktop.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Did you change your monitor or replace the graphics card recently?

It would probably be best if you could try to fix it through bcdedit. Otherwise I'll have to talk you through how to repair your XP using your install disk. Unless you're familiar with how to do that. And not the standard way everybody knows, but the secret manual override, make XP your bitch repair method. I've done a lot of troubleshooting with my own dual boot system. And if you can fix it with bcdedit, it takes less time, and has less chance of changing things you don't want changed. XP doesn't fix itself very cleanly. But that works too, if you know how(to do it the right way).

Ok, so open/run command prompt as admin.. Then type bcdedit /enum all, and hit enter. Then copy the list it shows, and paste it here. I might be able to help you fix it.

Last edited:
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Did you change your monitor or replace the graphics card recently?
Thanks for the idea but all hw is the same for many months now. And drivers too.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It would probably be best if you could try to fix it through bcdedit. Otherwise I'll have to talk you through how to repair your XP using your install disk. Unless you're familiar with how to do that. And not the standard way everybody knows, but the secret manual override, make XP your bitch repair method. I've done a lot of troubleshooting with my own dual boot system. And if you can fix it with bcdedit, it takes less time, and has less chance of changing things you don't want changed. XP doesn't fix itself very cleanly. But that works too, if you know how(to do it the right way).

Ok, so open/run command prompt as admin.. Then type bcdedit /enum all, and hit enter. Then copy the list it shows, and paste it here. I might be able to help you fix it.
I'm keen to learn your make XP your bitch method. :D Please let us all know!

@HD64G One easy, but lengthy way to try and solve it, would be run the XP setup disc in repair mode. XP should then boot, but of course 7 is won't be there. Just do the same with the 7 setup disc and everything "should" work. Just run the service packs and patches on both operating systems afterwards.

Before, doing any of this however, I strongly recommend the following:

1 Back up all your data
2 Take an image of your HDD if it all goes bad and you lose everything. I use Paragon Hard Disc Manager which has worked very well for me for years - it's up to version 15 now. www.paragon-software.com

Before you run the install discs however, I think you should do the two steps above and then try to repair the boot problem first. It's the more elegant and potentially more reliable solution if you succeed.

btw, I'm curious why you only have SP2 installed and not SP3 + all patches released afterwards?

Keyboard Trust GXT280
I'm keen to learn your make XP your bitch method. :D Please let us all know!

@HD64G One easy, but lengthy way to try and solve it, would be run the XP setup disc in repair mode. XP should then boot, but of course 7 is won't be there. Just do the same with the 7 setup disc and everything "should" work. Just run the service packs and patches on both operating systems afterwards.

Before, doing any of this however, I strongly recommend the following:

1 Back up all your data
2 Take an image of your HDD if it all goes bad and you lose everything. I use Paragon Hard Disc Manager which has worked very well for me for years - it's up to version 15 now. www.paragon-software.com

Before you run the install discs however, I think you should do the two steps above and then try to repair the boot problem first. It's the more elegant and potentially more reliable solution if you succeed.

btw, I'm curious why you only have SP2 installed and not SP3 + all patches released afterwards?

Thanks a lot for all the effort to help me but my version if XP sp2 is too old, has most of sp3 updates into it but wasn't able to update to sp3 when I tried. Also, repair disk in my language doesn't work for xp. :( Plus, I restored a previous image taken with acronis when it was working nicely.

I took a look at the bcdedit you pm'ed. It looks ok. But I'm no expert.

Do you have a way to burn an .iso? Maybe a different install disk would work for repair. I don't know. Worth a shot.

So, if you had a good XP install disk.
1. Boot from it.
2. DO NOT press F2 to run the Automated System Recovery
3. Let windows setup run until "ENTER=Continue R=Repair F3=Quit" shows up, then hit ENTER first.
4. Then F8, then R(to repair selected XP installation).

It's the not pressing F2 for Automated System Recovery, and not hitting R first(before enter). Don't do that. That screws everything up, makes things way more difficult. Maybe everybody knows that. They should at least. It's the easiest way to get XP pretty much right back to how it was...minus some drivers(usually), and a shitload of updates. Definitely back everything up first, if you can.

Then like he says, run the 7 setup disk. And all "should" be well.

Also, and this is a long shot, you could try to change the Windows Boot Manager in BCDEDIT to see if it makes any difference.

Yours looks like:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------------------
αναγνωριστικό {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale el-GR
default {current}
displayorder {current}
{85a34df3-dbaf-11e1-8f4a-bb9464aa1426}

You could try changing it so it looks like:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
αναγνωριστικό {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale el-GR
default {current}
displayorder {current}
{ntldr}

{85a34df3-dbaf-11e1-8f4a-bb9464aa1426} does appear to identify your XP install. But that's not the NT Loader. Which is the way it usually needs to be set(for loading XP and earlier OS's). But I don't know why yours isn't. I also don't understand the "path \NST\ntldr" part of yours. You might need to fix that too. It's usually set to "path \ntldr". What is NST? I do know how to fix that though. Which might work. Or it might not. So you'd need to make a backup of your bcd file first. Just in case you need to copy/import it back to where it was .

IMPORTANT: make a backup of your bcd file first. To do that, type:

bcdedit /export C:\SAVEDBCD

This will create a file c:\savebcd which is your boot entry backup.
If you mess up, you can always undo changes by:

bcdedit /import c:\savedbcd

Then try:

To create a new boot entry to load Windows XP from a partition on your disk:
NOTE: The example below uses F: as the Windows XP partition. Replace with your xp drive letter.
bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"

bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=F:

bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

There's more BCDEDIT info here that may be helpful.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2676-bcdedit-how-use.html

Last edited:
Keyboard Trust GXT280
I took a look at the bcdedit you pm'ed. It looks ok. But I'm no expert.

Do you have a way to burn an .iso? Maybe a different install disk would work for repair. I don't know. Worth a shot.

So, if you had a good XP install disk.
1. Boot from it.
2. DO NOT press F2 to run the Automated System Recovery
3. Let windows setup run until "ENTER=Continue R=Repair F3=Quit" shows up, then hit ENTER first.
4. Then F8, then R(to repair selected XP installation).

It's the not pressing F2 for Automated System Recovery, and not hitting R first(before enter). Don't do that. That screws everything up, makes things way more difficult. Maybe everybody knows that. They should at least. It's the easiest way to get XP pretty much right back to how it was...minus some drivers(usually), and a shitload of updates. Definitely back everything up first, if you can.

Then like he says, run the 7 setup disk. And all "should" be well.

Also, and this is a long shot, you could try to change the Windows Boot Manager in BCDEDIT to see if it makes any difference.

There's more BCDEDIT info here that may be helpful.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2676-bcdedit-how-use.html

I think you think that I cannot boot into WinXP at all. To make that clear, it starts loading, the loading screen of XP appears, the disk is reading data, the loading screen goes away and it stops in a blank screen with disk not reading anymore. It's normal screen sequence was to go to login screen a sI have put a password to get into XP. Maybe something in user profile is the problem?

I understand what your saying. The only other way I can think of to try to fix it would be to check the XP partition for errors. To see if it can find any and fix them for you. Have you already done that? Do you know how?

EDIT: You did say you did that already...sorry.:oops:

Last edited:
Keyboard Trust GXT280
I understand what your saying. The only other way I can think of to try to fix it would be to check the XP partition for errors. To see if it can find any and fix them for you. Have you already done that? Do you know how?

Have already done that but no change. Thanks again my friend.