• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with my power inverter

jimporsche86

I hope I put this in the right place,I'm new to the site..
My question is I bought a power bright 1100 watt inverter last week and I'm having an issue with buzzing through my box fans,something with the modified sine wave I guess.. I have the inverter running my tv in my living room and wanted to run my PS2 the tv and two fans but the buzzing has me puzzled how to fix my problem if it can be fixed.. The inverter is the Power Bright 1100 watt modified sine wave.. I have went to all my local electronic stores here in my town and everyone looks at me like they are in the stone age and have no idea what I'm even talking about.. I have searched online for answers but have really came up with no real solution.. Some say you can use a 1:1 transformer or a capacitor to help clean up the modified sine wave making it smoothed out I guess you could say.. Anyone that has had this issue or knows what to do to fix the buzzing would be awesome,I don't want to burn up my tv,ps2 or my fans....Thanks

System Name Zen2600
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Captain120EX
Memory 2x8 GB Patriot Viper Steel 360000 @3400MHz [18-19-19-39-80] DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ @stock
Storage WD Black 500GB NVME
Display(s) LG 32GK850F
Case NZXT H440 EnvyUS
Audio Device(s) Custom HP AMP + Sennheiser HD380
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard ElE Game1
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Yes, you could use transformer for the fans, that might help to get rid of buzzing in fans or make it more silent at least. But that is inefficient. Filtering won't help much as it will not transform modified sine to pure sine wave. Other devices (TV, PS2) should be fine, because they have voltage converters built in, which changes that modified sine wave in to impulses first and only then to DC voltage.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Is this your model: http://www.powerbright.com/pdf/PW1100_spec_sheet.pdf

I suspect the buzzing is from a transformer in the unit... if you are concerned with the output, a power conditioner may help.

From Wiki
Modified sine waveThe output of a modified square wave, quasi square, or modified sine wave inverter is similar to a square wave output except that the output goes to zero volts for a time before switching positive or negative. It is simple and low cost (~$0.10USD/Watt) and is compatible with most electronic devices, except for sensitive or specialized equipment, for example certain laser printers, fluorescent lighting, audio equipment.

Most AC motors will run off this power source albeit at a reduction in efficiency of approximately 20%[2]

jimporsche86

Yep that is the model I have.. If the unit has a transformer in it that would make my box fans buzz? The inverter itself is not what is buzzing just some things on the 110/120 ac side.. Where can I get a power conditioner and do they make different ones,I'm not sure what one I would need.. I'm pretty new to this sort of stuff so it will have to be dummied down so I understand... Thank you for the info!!
Is this your model: http://www.powerbright.com/pdf/PW1100_spec_sheet.pdf

I suspect the buzzing is from a transformer in the unit... if you are concerned with the output, a power conditioner may help.

From Wiki
Modified sine waveThe output of a modified square wave, quasi square, or modified sine wave inverter is similar to a square wave output except that the output goes to zero volts for a time before switching positive or negative. It is simple and low cost (~$0.10USD/Watt) and is compatible with most electronic devices, except for sensitive or specialized equipment, for example certain laser printers, fluorescent lighting, audio equipment.

Most AC motors will run off this power source albeit at a reduction in efficiency of approximately 20%[2]

System Name Awesomesauce 4.3 | Laptop (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro-023)
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K 4.16GHz 1.28v/3GHz 1.05v uncore | Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi LGA2011-v3| Stock
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 w/ 2x EK Vardar F4-120ER + various 120/140mm case fans | Stock
Memory G.Skill RJ-4 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15 quad channel | 12GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid SC2 11GB @ 2012/5151 boost | NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB +200/+500 + Intel 530
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB + Seagate 3TB 7200RPM + others | Kingston 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer G257HU 1440p 60Hz AH-IPS 4ms | 17.3" 1920*1080 60Hz wide angle TN notebook panel
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 | MSI
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z | Realtek with quad stereo speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Platinum | 19.5v 180w Delta brick
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 Home x64
From my experience with several power inverters, I've had everything from incandescent light bulbs to laptop power bricks to TVs pick up or create noise from modified sine wave power inverters. It's pretty much the nature of them to do that as they must use semiconductor components to generate a fake oscillation and convert DC to AC. All I could possibly suggest (I do not have much background in electrical conversion) is trying a line conditioner or something to try and smooth out the power and make it mre representative of a natural sine wave.

Other than that, your electronics probably won't die from it. That's why I recommend using a DC to DC converter whenever possible for devices that can accept a low voltage DC input like laptops, etc.

jimporsche86

That is pretty much what I was reading on other sites,I can smooth out the buzzing but it still won't be true sine wave.. Is there any one transformer I should be looking for? Are there things I can get a donor transformer out of? Or should I just call Power Bright and see if I can exchange my MSW for a TSW inverter? Sorry for all the questions I'm new at all this,thank you for the help!!
Yes, you could use transformer for the fans, that might help to get rid of buzzing in fans or make it more silent at least. But that is inefficient. Filtering won't help much as it will not transform modified sine to pure sine wave. Other devices (TV, PS2) should be fine, because they have voltage converters built in, which changes that modified sine wave in to impulses first and only then to DC voltage.

jimporsche86

Is the line conditioner the same thing as a power conditioner? Is that something that plugs into my 110/120 side of the inverter then the fan or whatever plugs into that? Thanks for the help!!
From my experience with several power inverters, I've had everything from incandescent light bulbs to laptop power bricks to TVs pick up or create noise from modified sine wave power inverters. It's pretty much the nature of them to do that as they must use semiconductor components to generate a fake oscillation and convert DC to AC. All I could possibly suggest (I do not have much background in electrical conversion) is trying a line conditioner or something to try and smooth out the power and make it mre representative of a natural sine wave.

Other than that, your electronics probably won't die from it. That's why I recommend using a DC to DC converter whenever possible for devices that can accept a low voltage DC input like laptops, etc.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
The inverter itself is not what is buzzing just some things on the 110/120 ac side.. Where can I get a power conditioner and do they make different ones,I'm not sure what one I would need.. I'm pretty new to this sort of stuff so it will have to be dummied down so I understand... Thank you for the info!!

I read too damn fast! That is cause for alarm. I never even knew what a modified sine wave type inverter was till I looked it up.

From Wiki (again):
The terms "power conditioning" and "power conditioner" can be misleading, as the word "power" here refers to the electricity generally rather than the more technical electric power. Conditioners specifically work to smooth the sinusoidal A.C. wave form and maintain a constant voltage over varying loads.

Problem is, it'd likely be more expensive than buying a better inverter with a "true" sine wave.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ner&sprefix=power+condi,aps,194&tag=tec06d-20

jimporsche86

I'm not really sure why they make MSW inverters,I guess they have a place to fit in somewhere.. I didn't know the difference between the two until I learned the hard way I guess.. From what I just have been searching most power conditioners are $100 and way up from there.. The same size Pure wave inverter of the same wattage is $300 from the same place,the one I have was $103 so really would end up about the same price so 12 in one and a dozen in the other?:confused:
I read too damn fast! That is cause for alarm. I never even knew what a modified sine wave type inverter was till I looked it up.

From Wiki (again):
The terms "power conditioning" and "power conditioner" can be misleading, as the word "power" here refers to the electricity generally rather than the more technical electric power. Conditioners specifically work to smooth the sinusoidal A.C. wave form and maintain a constant voltage over varying loads.

Problem is, it'd likely be more expensive than buying a better inverter with a "true" sine wave.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ner&sprefix=power+condi,aps,194&tag=tec06d-20

System Name Zen2600
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Captain120EX
Memory 2x8 GB Patriot Viper Steel 360000 @3400MHz [18-19-19-39-80] DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ @stock
Storage WD Black 500GB NVME
Display(s) LG 32GK850F
Case NZXT H440 EnvyUS
Audio Device(s) Custom HP AMP + Sennheiser HD380
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard ElE Game1
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
They makes MSW inverters because they are cheaper and pretty much all electronic devices with impulse mode power supply can work well with it.

I don't know for sure, but something like this should have a 1:1 transformer already built in as well as line filter: http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=67

As you already know, True sine wave inverters are more expensive and there are no need to buy one, unless you are going to use medical equipment or other very sensitive electronics for critical tasks. Buzzing in fans/motors is annoying side-effect, but that's all.

jimporsche86

Yeah I guess I shouldn't say the MSW are no good it just wasn't what I expected it to be but it does work fine for the tv,not sure the picture sharpness and color are as it was on normal 110/120 true wave.. Thanks for the link,will look more into that tomorrow for sure..
They makes MSW inverters because they are cheaper and pretty much all electronic devices with impulse mode power supply can work well with it.

I don't know for sure, but something like this should have a 1:1 transformer already built in as well as line filter: http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=67

As you already know, True sine wave inverters are more expensive and there are no need to buy one, unless you are going to use medical equipment or other very sensitive electronics for critical tasks. Buzzing in fans/motors is annoying side-effect, but that's all.

jimporsche86

Ok I have done some searching on the (line conditioner,power conditioner and the APC-Line-R)...
I'm sure they will all work to (help) clean up the MSW but will never be TSW but,that is fine I'm just not sure which one would be my Best option.. I have narrowed it down to the line conditioner as my best option.. Any tips,,pros and cons to all three would be awesome.. Any thoughts to any or all three would maybe help also.. My inverter is 1100 watts should my (filter)which ever one I choose be the same wattage or does that really matter? Thanks.....

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3090
Storage 512GB, 2TB NVMe + 2TB SATA || 32TB spinning rust
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech G913
Software win 11 amd64
Ok I have done some searching on the (line conditioner,power conditioner and the APC-Line-R)...
I'm sure they will all work to (help) clean up the MSW but will never be TSW but,that is fine I'm just not sure which one would be my Best option.. I have narrowed it down to the line conditioner as my best option.. Any tips,,pros and cons to all three would be awesome.. Any thoughts to any or all three would maybe help also.. My inverter is 1100 watts should my (filter)which ever one I choose be the same wattage or does that really matter? Thanks.....

you'd be better of with slightly higher wattage :)

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Just a silly question but you did ground the ENTIRE UNIT RIGHT? and not just use the black negative cable as the ground?

jimporsche86

Yep I grounded the ground terminal on the case to the battery with a 8 AWG and used bigger cables for my positive and negative as supplied with the inverter..
Just a silly question but you did ground the ENTIRE UNIT RIGHT? and not just use the black negative cable as the ground?

jacknarvy

If you are having any problem with your power inverter then i would suggest you not to open it without instructions of any expert. Take a special care of it and awsare from any kinds of wire faults.

jimporsche86

I just unhooked it all together.. My wanting to have it was to run my tv in the living room so to save electricity but the charger I had to charge my battery ended up using More electricity then just having the tv running off of the wall outlet.. I am sick of electric companies taking my money and was looking to try to save Even $20-$30 a month but my charger made it go up $10 so I'm not messing with it now.. If I can find a more efficient way of charging I might try it again

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I just unhooked it all together.. My wanting to have it was to run my tv in the living room so to save electricity but the charger I had to charge my battery ended up using More electricity then just having the tv running off of the wall outlet.. I am sick of electric companies taking my money and was looking to try to save Even $20-$30 a month but my charger made it go up $10 so I'm not messing with it now.. If I can find a more efficient way of charging I might try it again

You never realized the inefficiency of charging a battery then using that charge to power something?

The only way you are going to get something like this to work is to spend more on solar or wind power and store that power.

jimporsche86

I didn't realize the inefficiency at the time but I do now,learn as you go the hard way I guess... I live in an apartment so I can't do a setup with wind,the only way solar would work is to just put a panel in front of a window and not sure that would even work as none get direct sunlight... I'm probably just going to skip the entire thing for now...

jetpr

you can use running capacitor in the output of the inverter to clean the noise

jimporsche86

Thanks,what is a running capacitor,is there a difference between that and say one out of a microwave or something like that??
you can use running capacitor in the output of the inverter to clean the noise

jimporsche86

jetpr

yes that work perfect

to use the running capacitor connect one leg to ground and the other to 110v
:toast: