• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU OCP? Or GPU Issues?

Washingtoto

Build
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
AIO: NZXT Kraken Z73
GPU: PNY GeForce RTX 3080 10GB XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGB Triple Fan
MB: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus WIFI
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3600mhz CL16
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 1000W

I have been having this issue with my PC for the past 5 days. The PC turns off and the power button becomes unresponsive until I flip the PSU switch. This looks like an OCP issue and has happened to me before with the same build on an EVGA SuperNova GA 850W unit. My current PSU was working fine for the 6 months I have had it with no problems. Now the PC turns off while idle and with load. I could be typing an essay or playing a game and the PC turns off. I have tried to undervolt my GPU and reducing its power limit to 70%. I also ran both Heaven, Furmark, and OCCT. I have also ran memtest86 and my ram came back with no errors. I am on the latest NVIDIA drivers, BIOS, CPU Chipset drivers, and Windows 10 version. No matter what I do the PC turns off and I have to reset the PSU. I also checked to see if any of the cables were loose and everything was connected properly. I am currently thinking of upgrading to an ASUS Thor 1200W PSU or a BeQuiet! Dark Pro Power 1200W PSU.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
This looks like an OCP issue and has happened to me before with the same build on an EVGA SuperNova GA 850W unit. My current PSU was working fine for the 6 months I have had it with no problems.

So this issue has occured on two separate PSU units? Any OC your CPU or GPU? Are you using a UPS? Can you swap out the GPU for another unit?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Do ASUS boards still have their voltage/protection systems? If yes, have they improved them? I remember seeing stuff like this way back with ASUS boards.

Washingtoto

Do ASUS boards still have their voltage/protection systems? If yes, have they improved them? I remember seeing stuff like this way back with ASUS boards.
I bought the board back in September 2020. No clue if they still do I might have to RMA the board as an incase if anything as well

So this issue has occured on two separate PSU units? Any OC your CPU or GPU? Are you using a UPS? Can you swap out the GPU for another unit?
Yes, this occurred on 2 different PSUs. I don't have an UPS. Both CPU and GPU are running stock. The only other GPU I can test with is a 1060 but I do not think that will cause the spike but will try

Case fancier than yours
The only other GPU I can test with is a 1060 but I do not think that will cause the spike but will try

Yes but your spiking at idle and running MS Word, what is the RTX 3080 pulling in those scenarios 10-20w? I think you need to test every PC part even something as simple as the PSU cord if you are re-using the same one. How old is the electrical wiring in your home? Any thunder storms in your area just before the issue re-started?

Washingtoto

Yes but your spiking at idle and running MS Word, what is the RTX 3080 pulling in those scenarios 10-20w? I think you need to test every PC part even something as simple as the PSU cord if you are re-using the same one. How old is the electrical wiring in your home? Any thunder storms in your area just before the issue re-started?
No thunder storms in the area for a while, and the wiring I am not sure how old it is. Do you think my surge protector could have too much plugged in? It has 2 monitors, an amp for my headphones, some rgb lights, and 2 logitech speakers. The odd thing is that I am spiking at idle because on the old PSU it would only be on games. I just turned on my PC and simply opening event viewer made it turn off.

Probably the PSU, again, need another one to test though. The fact you're having to reset OCP with switch is telling.

I've also had very similar issue with an EVGA SuperNova PSU before.

Washingtoto

I am planning on testing a 2070 on my current setup to see if that trips the PSU

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Have a look at the event viewer, big red X entries, also look at a couple entries before those happen. If it really is a PSU issue you will have kernal power faults, mostly error 41.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Can you test your gpu in a known good rig?
Being that youve gone through two power supplies already makes it unlikely to be a power supply issue. The odds of your getting two bad units in a row are highly unlikely. Especially if they are exhibiting the exact same symptoms. Rather it sounds like a mb or gpu issue. The next time it happens try clearing the cmos, or pulling the battery vs flipping the psu switch.

Washingtoto

Have a look at the event viewer, big red X entries, also look at a couple entries before those happen. If it really is a PSU issue you will have kernal power faults, mostly error 41.
I did have an event viewer critical error 41. Which again makes me suspect the PSU is failing me

Can you test your gpu in a known good rig?
Being that youve gone through two power supplies already makes it unlikely to be a power supply issue. The odds of your getting two bad units in a row are highly unlikely. Especially if they are exhibiting the exact same symptoms. Rather it sounds like a mb or gpu issue. The next time it happens try clearing the cmos, or pulling the battery vs flipping the psu switch.
I will test it on my friends rig who basically has the same build besides having a 2070.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
That's also normal for CPU core temps exceeding the limit set by AMD, IIRC.

If you google around, you'll find quite a few instances of EVGA SuperNOVA PSUs having these kinds of problems. Be interested to see a TPU review teardown of the newest EVGA SuperNova range, not sure who manufacturer actually is? Mine only lasted a few days. Tripped out first during Firestrike ultra, then would randomly shut off regardless of PC load, with OCP reset via switch needed, got RMA'd.

Might not be the problem here of course. See how you get on with the 2070 in anyway.

Washingtoto

If you google around, you'll find quite a few instances of EVGA SuperNOVA PSUs having these kinds of problems. Be interested to see a TPU review teardown of the newest EVGA SuperNova range, not sure who manufacturer actually is? Mine only lasted a few days. Tripped out first during Firestrike ultra, then would randomly shut off regardless of PC load, with OCP reset via switch needed, got RMA'd.

Might not be the problem here of course. See how you get on with the 2070 in anyway.
Would love to see a teardown as well. Hopefully EVGA respond to my rma request as I think switching out the PSU is a smart idea regardless due to the amount of issues that have been reported with it and a 3080 combo.

Case fancier than yours

Jack Von

Hello, trying to build new PC with RTX 3080 Founder's Edition and also saw that it is possible to have issues with some PSU (power supply unit) when it turn off when using with RTX 3080 (OCP - over current protection probably).

Owners of RTX 3080 please write the exact model of PSU you are using with RTX 3080 without any problems/issues. It will help me a lot. Thanks to all who will decide to answer.