• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pump Making Grinding Sound

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I did the shaking thing with the res lid off and the grinding stopped. The high-pitched whining hasn't stopped though.
Shaking and lifting dont do shit mate!

You wanna squeeze the pressure line to slow the flow, that way you can regulate the flow and intern make the trapped air bubbles rise to the top of your res.

Also after you get the noise worked out make sure you grab a Gram of 99.999% silver to drop into the loop to deture any bacterial growth in the loop :rockout:

Now that that's resolved, I welcome any opinions that may help me out of this tight spot. :)

Try cadaveca's idea of turning the pump horizontal. I know it would be a pain, and your tubing would be strained, but if it is a bushing or other pump issue the orentaion may fix or the noise. The pump will probably chug on for years, albeit a noisily, so your problem isn't super immediate or threatening. I remember when you first set up your loop you had some anxious moments, but things worked out fine.

I wouldn't worry about the res. It's not like there is a ton of pressure on it that will make it start shooting water. If your worried about the cracks, smear some plastic epoxy on them.

System Name Baby Box
Processor i5 4670K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97I-PLUS
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX FURY DDR3 1600MHz @ CL10
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD (Boot Drive); Seagate 7200.12 1TB 7200RPM (Storage)
Display(s) ASUS VH222H 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Corsair 250D Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Audioengine D1 DAC/Amp
Power Supply Cooler Master GX RS750 PSU
Mouse Corsair SCIMITAR RGB
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro x64/ Linux Mint 17.3
Also after you get the noise worked out make sure you grab a Gram of 99.999% silver to drop into the loop to deture any bacterial growth in the loop
So should a drop of AS5 do the trick?

Try cadaveca's idea of turning the pump horizontal. I know it would be a pain, and your tubing would be strained, but if it is a bushing or other pump issue the orentaion may fix or the noise. The pump will probably chug on for years, albeit a noisily, so your problem isn't super immediate or threatening. I remember when you first set up your loop you had some anxious moments, but things worked out fine.

I wouldn't worry about the res. It's not like there is a ton of pressure on it that will make it start shooting water. If your worried about the cracks, smear some plastic epoxy on them.
Can I just turn my whole computer sideways or just do the pump?

MohawkAngel

Ok it is a job I can described here as same principle as car brakes bleeding.

Since there is nothing against the blow back the pressure I suggest you put a T there and slightly open the valve. The air will be poped out and when it done close the T. Thats also what I was doing with old cars cooling hoses. Put a T soemwhere and when you see no more bubbles then you know the system have been "bleeded". The advantage is that you dont need to start the computer you can do it with the pump plugged on any 12V source.

MORE EXPLANATION: Get a glass jar and fill ithalf full with cooling liquid. At the plug of the T you gonna open put a clear hose that you gonna dip the end into the jar. Start the pump and see the liquid flow...when theres no more air in your system you wont see bubbles anymore. Close the T prior to removing the hose from the jar or you will suck air back in.

IMPORTANT: Always be sure there is enough liquid cooling left in your computer reservoir or it will empty the system and suck back the air left in the system after it emptied it from liquid and you gonna have to start it all over again.

Last edited:

MohawkAngel

You could simply use GM Dex-Cool coolant or the new Low toxicity coolant that are animals safe. They are low acid and wont have bacterias.

System Name Baby Box
Cooling Corsair H100i
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD (Boot Drive); Seagate 7200.12 1TB 7200RPM (Storage)
Alright, whenever my 470 waterblock gets here I'll do the taking-apart stuff, but for now, I'll try the turning and the antifreeze.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
You could simply use GM Dex-Cool coolant or the new Low toxicity coolant that are animals safe. They are low acid and wont have bacterias.
you dont think anti-freeze grows bacteria? Bacteria grows in every thing.

Distilled water and a 5 dollar kill coil will give the best results for the cooling needs... So for as little as 6 dollars you have a trouble free clean loop that will look great for years

MohawkAngel

You think a col of silver kills bacterias? lol SCAM ! :p It's for people who don't kno metals properties and get caught in false publicity. Anti-freeze become sludge with many years of using but the GM Dex-Cool does not it is good enought to keep its property for over 100 000 miles before changing it. Be sure you wont grow bacterias for a while in your computer even at 24/7 you should have for over a year and more before changing it ;) I would even suggest Dexron-3 automatic transmission oil. It flows well and resist more heat than you could ever imagine. I know many hardcore computers coolant guys will tell you to buy computer coolant expecially sold. But you pay for the hype and the publicity around it ;) Most coolant are the same as coolant used in cars just sold under different name and package with different colours ;)

Sadasius

System Name "White Ghost"
Processor i7 970 watercooled
Motherboard Rampage III Extreme all watercooled
Cooling Custom Water Cooling. You have to see it. Too many parts to list here!
Memory 12GB Corsair Dominator GT's watercooled
Video Card(s) HD 5850....watercooled!
Storage Gskill Phoenix Pro 120gb and several 500gb and 1 tb hdd's.
Display(s) Dual 24" Asus VW246H mounted to the wall
Case CM Storm
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Audigy
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000
Software Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/2551267
Damn I am in hillbilly watercooling hell ain't I? :laugh: That's okay....I like challenges.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
You think a col of silver kills bacterias? lol SCAM ! :p It's for people who don't kno metals properties and get caught in false publicity. Anti-freeze become sludge with many years of using but the GM Dex-Cool does not it is good enought to keep its property for over 100 000 miles before changing it. Be sure you wont grow bacterias for a while in your computer even at 24/7 you should have for over a year and more before changing it ;) I would even suggest Dexron-3 automatic transmission oil. It flows well and resist more heat than you could ever imagine. I know many hardcore computers coolant guys will tell you to buy computer coolant expecially sold. But you pay for the hype and the publicity around it ;) Most coolant are the same as coolant used in cars just sold under different name and package with different colours ;)
Before ya start talking out your *** ;) maybe you need to do a bit more googling mate.
Silver 99.999% does indeed kill bacteria in water. Scam? sure some sell bogus so called silver kill coils.

I ran two identical acrylic reservoirs, one with an actual 1 gram stamped 999% silver piece I lodged into a fitting.

Next one had no silver in the loop.

Now can ya guess which res looks like it was just pulled outta the box and looks like new 1 year later?

next, your Dextron tranny oil. It resists heat? Is the point of an oil to take heat and flow into a cooler to dissipate the heat? Heat resistant oil is for the oil to withstand break down.
If it resist's heat then how is it to be able to carry away the heat?
Please enlighten me. :cool:

Oh and to edit real quick... your anti freeze, its life of a million miles is just a way of saying the PH of the liquid will remain a constant before it starts eating away the precious metal in the system
:p

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
This is real silver, not the fake shit ;)

MohawkAngel

Dexron oil or any other transmission oil could transfer heat but still have a breakdown point before beginning to foam. But we are talking about really fuc**** temps :p When it happens in a car tranny its because the guys ran with a low level of transmission oil or made the transmission slip in lower gears before going to Drive position. Like in exemple when you engage to First or Second gear to move out from snow. If the guy is keeping the pedal to the floor on first and even second gear too long the oil overheat then foam.

For a computer it would be perfect because Dexron 3 oil is the cheapest like 2.50$ for a quart and flow like any other computer lubricant. Can withstand temps of 200 farenheit (95 celcius) before foaming so as you can guess the cpu will blow before that ;) Some guys add a radiator to their transmission to cool down the oil temps so you could stick with the cooler you already have there and it would be fine.

For the anti freeze its 100 000 miles not a million. Anyway before you get 100 000 miles your pump will die or you would simply have upgraded the computer :p

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

Distilled water is the best performing coolant you can get for the temps that computers run at.

And silver is toxic to many types of bacteria, fungus and algae, btw.

MohawkAngel

Silver is oxydizer also ;) Distilled water could be good depends of how many hours each month you wanna run it. I guess hes gonna make his choice soon before the pump blow of :p

System Name Baby Box
Cooling Corsair H100i
before the pump blow of :p

Man, you're scaring me with this stuff. I'm pretty sure my pump will not instantaneously explode because I'm using the recommended distilled water. If I add glycol it most likely won't either. Why do you keep saying that it's going to rip itself apart?

System Name Baby Box
Cooling Corsair H100i
It's not.

That's a good thing. Oh, I let it run on its side for a while, and the sounds haven't happened for quite some time (knock on wood). :D

Last edited:
System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
i dont see nothing wrong with a little pump & grind

What's up with your pump noise? My Jingway started to make some annoying bearing noises last night:shadedshu Like yours, the noise can be dampened by changing its position. Just wondering if yours fixed itself.:)

D

Deleted member 74752

Dex-Cool is fine...until air hits it. It will then start to degrade, crystalize and begin eating aluminum. That junk was flushed out of my Chevy years ago and replaced with the good old "green stuff". Screw the pets...they don't pay the bills. :laugh:

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
dex-cool is fine...until air hits it. It will then start to degrade, crystalize and begin eating aluminum. That junk was flushed out of my chevy years ago and replaced with the good old "green stuff". screw the pets...they don't pay the bills. :laugh:

lol!