• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question regarding the memory-type GPU-Z is displaying.

siberiansaint

When looking up the type of memory that is soldered on my card, it tells me its exclusivly Samsung.

rtx2080memory2.PNG

But when i click on Advanced, and then on NVIDIA Bios, it shows me different memory types on multiple entrys (Micron, Samsung, Hynix)

rtx2080memory.PNG

My question is if i can be really certain that theres just Samsung chips soldered on my card or if its just a mish-mash of chips from different manufacturers.
Im fairly new to all of this and GPU-Z aswell, i would really appreciate a explanation of some sort.
Thank you.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Manufacturers have several models of a graphics card, some with different memory types, if you see a GPU Bios with more than one memory type it just means that whether your particular card has Samsung or Hynix it's supported on that Bios, manufacturers don't mix memory types on the same PCB, the card wouldn't work because each memory type has different specs...……. some cards of the exact same model also have different revisions, those revisions may have different memory, this saves having to completely re-write Bioses… nothing to worry about, perfectly normal.

Keyword in your screenshot above is "support" that does not mean "using".

siberiansaint

Thank you very much for the explanation Tatty_One! That means the bios is supporting all of the named chips, yet on my card are only samsung ones. Got it!

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Thank you very much for the explanation Tatty_One! That means the bios is supporting all of the named chips, yet on my card are only samsung ones. Got it!
So for example, this tells me you have the Amp Extreme?

Where as this one is the Zotac Founders edition with a slower memory clock and therefore may be Hynix or Micron, in my experience with GDDR5 & 6, Samsung can often achieve higher memory clocks if you overclock and often their reference clocks are therefore higher...…….

You will see that both have the 3 memory types available and written to the Bios.

siberiansaint

Indeed, that makes sense, as i mentioned im fairly new to GPU-Z and Overclocking in general, so i apologize for questioning everything that seems new to me.
Again, thank you for the further explanation!