• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon HD7990 vs GTX Titan

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I have 3 7950's to run together, two sit on my desk. Second card merely draws power, doesn't truly improve FPS in the games I paly, actually makes for worse FPS visually in many situations. Basically, frames from second card never get displayed, and the CPU overhead from running two is definitely noticible when one card does just over 60FPS... as it makes that one card drop to just below 60FPS instead of just above.

I know AMD can fix it, but I do believe that they are making sure it's good and stable in most apps first, and that will take some time. They said June/July for that driver release.

And that's the kicker. AMD says it's a real problem. So there's no point in arguing about it. I know you're discriminate enough to notice the subtle change here.

It may have been the fact that I was enjoying playing BF3 :laugh: I am now curious to see.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It may have been the fact that I was enjoying playing BF3 :laugh: I am now curious to see.

BF3 is one of those titles with big issues with this. Having nearly 725 hours in-game, I easily notice the differences between one card, two cards, and three cards, and adding cards negatively affects gameplay for me, to the point that I actually score less.

With the 13.4 WHQL driver and a single 7950, I am scoring far higher, and placing higher on servers than I have before. You can check my history in Battlelog to confirm this, even. If I am not in the top5 in score on my team, if not in the server, then I joined the round late, or left early.

AMD has made great strides in improving driver performance overall with the 7-series cards, but for me, there are many glaring faults left that prevent me from enjoying both Crossfire and Eyefinity. To the point that I am trying to get Nvidia cards to use in my board and memory review rigs from this point forward, actually. AMD cards are great in single-GPU, single monitor, with the 7950 playing nearly every title perfectly, so this is very much a "first-world" problem, but a problem it will remain to be for some time yet.

Other 7-series Crossfire users that are in our group of about 20 that paly regularly also notice the same thing as I do, and a few even mentioned such before all this "frame-rating" stuff came out. I mean, I'm not the only one reporting these issues.