• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random FPS drops and GPU usage

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
if under warranty, RMA it?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
if under warranty, RMA it?

You're right of course, but you know what the problem with that is, don't you?

Regardless of how much detail Lpeezy puts in the fault description, they're simply gonna do the standard functional tests on it and hand it back as "no fault found", possibly with a charge for services rendered. :rolleyes: And if it's a design fault, then killing the board and getting a new one won't help, either.

If you can think of a way to make Asus take liability for this one, I'd really like to know.

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
You're right of course, but you know what the problem with that is, don't you?

Regardless of how much detail Lpeezy puts in the fault description, they're simply gonna do the standard functional tests on it and hand it back as "no fault found", possibly with a charge for services rendered. :rolleyes: And if it's a design fault, then killing the board and getting a new one won't help, either.

If you can think of a way to make Asus take liability for this one, I'd really like to know.

That's why you chat with them or call them to describe your problem. Once they accept your RMA concerning your problem, you should be fine

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
That's why you chat with them or call them to describe your problem. Once they accept your RMA concerning your problem, you should be fine

Yeah perhaps. It all depends on how good their customer service is. Here's crossing fingers.

Lpeezy

Well actually, I think I still have a warranty under CyberPowerPC since I only bought the computer from them under a year ago. The thing is, I don't know what they would do, give me the same board back but new yet still have the same problem?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Is there a newer hardware revision of the board? Problems like this would tend to get fixed by these. If so, try to get this newer version. The way it's running right now it's not fit for purpose.

System Name Homelabs
Well actually, I think I still have a warranty under CyberPowerPC since I only bought the computer from them under a year ago. The thing is, I don't know what they would do, give me the same board back but new yet still have the same problem?

You can ask them if they would consider/accept givng you a similar board from another brand... You could even settle for a less good board... or:

You RMA a last time and sell it unopened online

OmegaXXIII

I have pretty much the same exact computer as the topic creator, and I am having the same issue with Rift, sometimes it runs fine and others at random times the fps just takes a dive. I think the differences between my computer and the topic creators is that I have a GeForce 470 GTX for my graphics card, I think 6-8 GB's of memory, and I think a little higher of a power supply, I can post my specs if necessary later since I am not currently at that computer at this time. I do not play all that many games on my PC as of late, but I did play Crisis recently and it would randomly crash on me, could this be the same issue? And, is there any way to know whether it is the Motherboard or not? I am not very tech savvy, so if it comes to having to replace the MB I am pretty much screwed. I just spent, for me, a lot of money on this machine and it kinda pisses me off to see that it might be the MB. Thanks for any help you guys can provide on this issue.

Also I too just bought this computer within the year, and was wondering Lpeezy, what reply you got from CyberPower, as this is where I purchased my computer as well. Again, thanks for any help you guys can provide me with.

Lpeezy

I have pretty much the same exact computer as the topic creator, and I am having the same issue with Rift, sometimes it runs fine and others at random times the fps just takes a dive. I think the differences between my computer and the topic creators is that I have a GeForce 470 GTX for my graphics card, I think 6-8 GB's of memory, and I think a little higher of a power supply, I can post my specs if necessary later since I am not currently at that computer at this time. I do not play all that many games on my PC as of late, but I did play Crisis recently and it would randomly crash on me, could this be the same issue? And, is there any way to know whether it is the Motherboard or not? I am not very tech savvy, so if it comes to having to replace the MB I am pretty much screwed. I just spent, for me, a lot of money on this machine and it kinda pisses me off to see that it might be the MB. Thanks for any help you guys can provide on this issue.

Also I too just bought this computer within the year, and was wondering Lpeezy, what reply you got from CyberPower, as this is where I purchased my computer as well. Again, thanks for any help you guys can provide me with.

Ah, that's a bummer man. I haven't actually bothered with calling up CyberPower but I have thought about it even though I purchased a new board. I spent a lot on my PC too so I guess I should go ahead and them up to see if they can actually do anything about it. I will get back to you within a few days.

gpost3

System Name Custom Work/Gaming PC
Processor Core 2 E4500 @ 2.2 Ghz
Motherboard ECS g31 mATX
Cooling Intel Stock for CPU / Arctic Accelero for VGA
Memory 2x2GB Kingston DDR2 800 Mhz
Video Card(s) nVidia Geforce 240 GT DDR5
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500 GB + WD RE4 500 GB
Display(s) Dell 17" LCD
Case Some mATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard for now but getting a soundcard soon
Power Supply Antec 430 EarthWatts
Software Win7 x64/Ubuntu 10.10 x64
Pins, overclocking what on earth guys? OP open up task manager and then under performance section open up resource monitor. Check to see if any other processes are using up your CPU. Particularly, check to see if one of the core is being used more than others. Also trying using "Process Affinity" you can right click on a process (say a game) in Task Manager and set Process Affinity to use selected cores. Try and run it with 2 cores that aren't too busy and report back.

gpost3

Motherboard ECS g31 mATX
Display(s) Dell 17" LCD
Case Some mATX case
I had an 8 core (Dual Xeon Quad) at work which had load balancing issue but it was all because of the software. You could have 100 cores but if the software tends to kick in using one of those cores which are already busy doing something, then the other cores don't matter. Windows isn't very intelligent at load balancing anyway although Win 7 has improved somewhat but Linux still remains superior.

ctrain

I had an 8 core (Dual Xeon Quad) at work which had load balancing issue but it was all because of the software. You could have 100 cores but if the software tends to kick in using one of those cores which are already busy doing something, then the other cores don't matter. Windows isn't very intelligent at load balancing anyway although Win 7 has improved somewhat but Linux still remains superior.

Er, doubtful that Windows would choose to schedule on an already busy core unless the application deliberately sets the affinity.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/35679/Parallel-computing-and-processor-affinity-Never-un.aspx

OmegaXXIII

I was waiting a couple days to see if it worked, but I reformatted my computer and made sure that windows did not install any background applications through the updates, and I haven't had a problem since. While having these problems, I had also just recently attached a Vizio 42' TV as my monitor using a mini HDMI-HDMI cable. I am not sure if the computer is running right now due to me reformatting my computer, or taking off the TV as my monitor, but it is running great again. Played RIFT for 3+ hours and never had a FPS drop once. So, even though I loved having the Vizio as my monitor, it seems I am going to have to live with my smaller screen because I am not sure what truly caused the FPS drops.

gpost3

Motherboard ECS g31 mATX
Display(s) Dell 17" LCD
Case Some mATX case
made sure that windows did not install any background applications through the updates, and I haven't had a problem since

See just as I said to check for any background processes. Lpeezy you should try this too.

Lpeezy

See just as I said to check for any background processes. Lpeezy you should try this too.

I've had no background programs running or anything. I also reformatted my computer too but the issue was still there. Like I said, my CPU never goes above 50% load while in resource monitor.

gpost3

Motherboard ECS g31 mATX
Display(s) Dell 17" LCD
Case Some mATX case
I've had no background programs running or anything. I also reformatted my computer too but the issue was still there. Like I said, my CPU never goes above 50% load while in resource monitor.

Things are done "concurrently" on a single core machine not simultaneously because the data that is being put onto the bus has one discrete ALU to perform arithmetic operations on it. I still think only one of your core is being heavily taxed. Post a log here that shows the % load on each core then we can give you a more definitive answer.

Lpeezy

I updated my original post several days ago saying I had purchased a new motherboard and the problem is gone. I am sorry that I cannot provide the information; however, for RIFT, I followed some suggestion from RIFT players to edit some code for the game that allows RIFT to be able to use as many cores as it wants. That still didn't resolve the issue. Plus, the resource monitor lets me see all six of my cores and no one core is being heavily taxed during game play.

Zaim

Hi, I hope the OP doesn't mind me posting in this thread but i have exactly the same problem. I have tried all sorts, re-installed the os, even with just basic drives installed and no additional application it still happened, I tried the graphics card in another slot, tried about 4 different drivers, I've also tried oc'ing my graphics card to 850 core and 1100 on the memory, made no difference apart from a extra 5+fps. Sometimes games will be fine for a few minutes then the fps drop will start, I have also been monitoring my cpu clock speed and usage, when the drops happen the cpu usage isn't affected, so its not the cpu as i had originally thought.

For example, i was playing GTAIV and the first few mins the game was fine, getting 60fps then it would randomly drop to 40, then down to 30 odd and back up again.

Specs

AMD 1055T @ 3.5ghz 3.87ghz turbo
8GB RAM
Asus Crosshair 3
AMD 6850
Corsair TX 650w

Would appreciate if someone could help me with this issue.

Last edited:
System Name An experiment in continuous upgrading
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.4 Ghz | FX-8570 @ 4.0 Ghz | Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD53 | MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Asus M4A79 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 | Zalman CNPS10x | Coolermaster*212+
Memory 24gb DDR3-1866 |8Gb | 8Gb
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Turbo x 2 (SLI) | Sapphire Radeon 7970 + GTX 670 (PhysX) | Radeon 4870 1Gb
Storage 2x240gb SSD + 4tb SSHD + HDDs | 240gb SSD + HDDs | 120gb SSD + WD Blue 500gb
Display(s) ASUS VG248 144hz + Samsung S23A700D 120hz + 3D Vision | 40" Sony 1080p TV | 23" 1080p
Case Cooler Master HAF-X | Lian-Li PC-8 | Antec 302
Audio Device(s) Senn. PC360 G4ME | Sound Blaster Zx | Generic
Power Supply Corsair TX850W | Corsair TX 750 | OCZ 700
Mouse Steelseries Sensei | Logitech G402 W/L | Generic
Keyboard Filco Majetouch Ninja Tenkeyless MX Black | Logitech wireless |SteelSeries 6Gv2 MX Red
Software About 800 top-rated games. | 200 top-rated games | No games
Benchmark Scores No time for benching, I prefer gaming.
I believe I am also experiencing this problem.

I am running a Phenom II X6 1100t @ stock (turbo doesn't seem to work right now?)
8GB DDR2 1066
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
2 x MSI GTX 570 oc in SLI
Corsair 850w
Gaming at 1680x1050 (120hz)

You will note that my graphics hardware is way up there and should make pretty much any game run smoother than silk. It's also said how BFBC2 uses 6 cores effectively. Yet, my GPU utilization rarely touches 70% and often it goes down to the 20% - 30% range with framerate dropping down as low as 30s. The image quality settings are cranked ALL the way up (32xAA, 16x Aniso, SSAO, etc) but that shouldn't be a problem, and normally isn't. There are times when the action is going strong and I get 90+ glorious FPS and others when little is happening and I get 40fps. Of course, that's not always the case, it can happen under any conditions whatsoever. Moreover, I checked my CPU utilization and it does not appear to get close to 90%, more like 75% most of the time...

So great, I have all this hardware and the CPU is running at 70% and my GPUs at 60%... What the heck?

I think we can all agree that we all have one thing in common: ASUS motherboards.