• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtek Modded Audio Driver for Windows 10/11 - Only for HDAUDIO

Bradden

I think my system has been unable to unstill dolby which is why I cannot insall it. KGA doesn't seem to fix it.

I'm closer to fixing it now.. found some useful stuff here.

Still get an error message about plugging in speakers though.

UPDATE: Finally got it working again after a bit of faffing uninstalling and reinstalling stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-30 001700.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-30 001700.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
In my case, I did a clean install of my device from Windows 10 version 2004 and then downgraded to version 1909. I did this because there was a technical error in the operating system of my device while it was on the Windows 2004 version. I have tested the installation for my device starting with drivers AAF DCH v6.0.8996 .1 to v6.0.9018.1. Finally I found the best result for my device on AAF DCH v6.0.9003.1 (v2) using HDA panel. :) Have not tried it for the above version. In every reinstall, I always make sure all the driver components that have been installed in the system are completely removed (The tools needed to do this are: Revo Uninstaller, Driver Store Explorer and Avg PCtuneup to ensure that all components are completely clean from the system registry.), before I reinstall the latest drivers.

P1GEON

DOWNLOAD MY DRIVERS FROM HERE:
DCH-UAD VERSION

STANDARD VERSION: (ARCHIVED) (LINK HERE)

DCH DRIVER VERSION UPDATED TO 6.0.9066.1
HDA PANEL INCLUDED IN DCH DRIVER

ATTENTION: If the Sound Blaster, if installed, is unable to detect your audio device correctly, the executable that will allow you to restore this operation is attached.

View attachment 168055

• REALTEK DEFAULT EFFECTS
  • CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-Fi MB5
  • CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-Fi MB5
  • ASIO EXTRA
  • REALTEK DEFAULT EFFECTS WITH DDL/DTS
  • CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER CONNECT 2 (LEGACY)
    • 360°
    • 720°
  • NAHIMIC 3
  • SONIC STUDIO 3 (ASUS ROG)
  • SONIC RADAR 3 SUPPORTED
  • DOLBY ATMOS
  • DOLBY DIGITAL (OVERRIDE)
  • DTS INTERACTIVE (OVERRIDE)
  • REALTEK ASIO
  • REALTEK DEFAULT EFFECTS WITH DOLBY DIGITAL LIVE & DTS INTERACTIVE
  • CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER CONNECT (UWP)
    • 360°
    • 720°
    • CINEMA 5
  • NAHIMIC 3 (APO v3)
  • SONIC STUDIO 3 (ASUS ROG) (APO v3)
  • SONIC RADAR 3 SUPPORTED
  • DOLBY ATMOS
  • DOLBY ACCESS OEM
IMAGES (WINDOWS 10)
CREATIVE PANEL (LEGACY)
View attachment 145072
REALTEK AUDIO CONSOLE (UWP)
View attachment 159335
View attachment 159540

CREATIVE PANEL (UWP)
View attachment 158671
NAHIMIC 3
View attachment 133729

SONIC STUDIO 3 (ASUS ROG)
View attachment 156931

View attachment 156932

View attachment 156933

SCOUT RADAR 3 (NOT INCLUDED, BUT SUPPORT ENABLED)
View attachment 156935

View attachment 156936

DOLBY ATMOS
View attachment 143507

Donate for the project to continue:
View attachment 176708

Or if you want to donate in an easier way, use the QRCode below:
View attachment 176709

ENJOY !!!

Hello everybody! Who can give the latest version of the unpacked realtek mod driver? Because I do not need all the programs that are in the exe file. I use the official Dolby Access software and I only need a driver and a realtek manager.
Previously i have this... But i need last version if avaible

Why is there no option to select "headset" when I connect my headphones with a microphone?

Attachments

• Снимок.PNG
    Снимок.PNG
    15.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Снимок1.PNG
    Снимок1.PNG
    37.8 KB · Views: 237
  • Снимок2.PNG
    Снимок2.PNG
    101.1 KB · Views: 263
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Memory 4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 620w (SS-620GB)
Software Windows 10 Education x64 21H2
MS store recently has v1.5.2.0 of the Nahimic3 uwp app which seems to have "vendor name" or vendor ID checks and will not work with any of the AAF DCH modded driver versions (not even 9066) and require the %PKEY_VENDORNAME%,,%VENDORNAME% entries in the INF files. PKEY_VENDORNAME is defined as "{3B454CDE-1938-473F-9DBF-5D6A56332FB5},0" in the [Strings] section in recent versions of the AVoluteNH3Ext.inf file in MSI's Realtek UAD drivers.

AAF Optimus

Account Closed - Will not update Projects
System Name NEW AAF OPTIMUS RIG
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6C/12T)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gammax L120T
Memory CRUCIAL Pro Gaming 32GB DDR4-3200 (@3733) (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB MSI Ventus 2X OC LHR
Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Display(s) AOC VIPER 27" 165Hz 1ms (27G2SE)
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
Audio Device(s) REALTEK S1200A (ALC1200) with AAF Optimus Audio
Power Supply REDRAGON RGPS 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Full Modular
Mouse CLAHM CL-MM386 7200DPI
Keyboard MOTOSPEED CK-108 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Thank you very much @erpguy53

Information quoted about keys VENDOR_NAME proceeds.

Here are the images of the updated Nahimic in operation:

Start Screen:
1.jpg

Equalizer:
2.jpg

NEW DCH DRIVERS RELEASED IN GITHUB
DCH DRIVER VERSION 6.0.9066.1
A-VOLUTE NAHIMIC 3 EXTENSION UPDATED
A-VOLUTE NAHIMIC 3 APP UPDATED

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!

Last edited:

slayer23

@Alan Finote thanks for the new version !
Unfortunately Nahimic says hardware is not compatible. Also the previous problems persist:
-Audio only coming out of front speakers;
-Sound blaster 720 not detecting speakers (only detect headphones when plugged in)

Gee, there's no search thread function. Oh, you cannot change how many messages to show per page. 3 thousand plus replies in thread? Nice forum software if I say so myself..

So, er, sorry if this has been asked before, but..

I've been trying to get my ALC889 codec on motherboard to produce DTS connect audio. The best I've been able to do so far is with 6.0.9050.1 pack. Combination of HDA manager and asio driver I get DTS on front and center speakers OK but surround speakers go to front speakrs. No creative, a-volute or atmos installed.

Latest 6.0.9066.2 version failed on sound test outright with error message but granted I didn't quite understand yet what setting in installer does what, I'll try that again.
Some questions..

ASIO driver is mandatory to do anything useful? Otherwise standard realtek or microsoft driver is used? Is there a known good release with 5.1 working, preferably with DTS? Is there a way to make windows actually show the speaker setup like it does when you use HDMI audio?

I used AAC 5.1 test clip to test which channel is doing it's stuff from here:

EDIT: Apparently this rear speaker no work -problem is a known issue and last version it works on properly is 8996.1 fix.

That version, however, does not allow you to use DTS Connect. Is there some trick with the device tweaker to enable DTS?

Last edited:

AAF Optimus

Account Closed - Will not update Projects
System Name NEW AAF OPTIMUS RIG
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6C/12T)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gammax L120T
Memory CRUCIAL Pro Gaming 32GB DDR4-3200 (@3733) (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB MSI Ventus 2X OC LHR
Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Display(s) AOC VIPER 27" 165Hz 1ms (27G2SE)
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
Audio Device(s) REALTEK S1200A (ALC1200) with AAF Optimus Audio
Power Supply REDRAGON RGPS 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Full Modular
Mouse CLAHM CL-MM386 7200DPI
Keyboard MOTOSPEED CK-108 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Is there some trick with the device tweaker to enable DTS?
Reinstall the driver, but note the choice of panel (Legacy or UWP) and Native Support, Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive options.

1.jpg

Reinstall the driver, but note the choice of panel (Legacy or UWP) and Native Support, Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive options.

View attachment 178007

Yes, but this option does not exist in the 8996 version and on never specimens SPDIF optical seems to output the rear channels to front speakers which is not super useful.

I found the fix (from you!) in page 92 (or was it 91?), you can use device tweaker to set all vid/pid values to zero in the custom tab. After save and reboot the DTS option appeared as a default sound format.

So now at least media player classic cam be coaxed to output 5.1 pcm audio which will be picked up by the driver and compressed to DTS.

If I could ask for anything else, it'd be nice if Windows recognized there's 5.1 speaker setup available so the games use it by default. I guess the creative connect could do it?

Gee, there's no search thread function. Oh, you cannot change how many messages to show per page. 3 thousand plus replies in thread? Nice forum software if I say so myself..

So, er, sorry if this has been asked before, but..

I've been trying to get my ALC889 codec on motherboard to produce DTS connect audio. The best I've been able to do so far is with 6.0.9050.1 pack. Combination of HDA manager and asio driver I get DTS on front and center speakers OK but surround speakers go to front speakrs. No creative, a-volute or atmos installed.

Latest 6.0.9066.2 version failed on sound test outright with error message but granted I didn't quite understand yet what setting in installer does what, I'll try that again.
Some questions..

ASIO driver is mandatory to do anything useful? Otherwise standard realtek or microsoft driver is used? Is there a known good release with 5.1 working, preferably with DTS? Is there a way to make windows actually show the speaker setup like it does when you use HDMI audio?

I used AAC 5.1 test clip to test which channel is doing it's stuff from here:

EDIT: Apparently this rear speaker no work -problem is a known issue and last version it works on properly is 8996.1 fix.

That version, however, does not allow you to use DTS Connect. Is there some trick with the device tweaker to enable DTS?
Hey Barleyman,
It seems we should somehow start filling in the FAQ to add to what Alan already did himself in the initial post :)
ASIO driver is only useful if you're going to play some MIDI instruments and process them in the realtime, otherwise there's no real value in using it over other output methods.
For me DTS was working with all releases (my AVR shows PCM 6 channels), given that there's some interim software that does the processing of your input sources to perform a speaker fill.
When I started with Alan's drivers, it was either Nahimic or Creative version per version, whichever was able to start and not whine about hardware not found :)
Over time I switched to APO and upmixing equalisers to get rid of that dependency on specific vendor-bound software. This way Windows always presents its audio endpoint as 5.1-capable no matter what's the input, and conversion is seamless so it only works when there are less than 5.1 channels in the input source.
Hope it clarifies.

Hey Barleyman,
It seems we should somehow start filling in the FAQ to add to what Alan already did himself in the initial post :)
ASIO driver is only useful if you're going to play some MIDI instruments and process them in the realtime, otherwise there's no real value in using it over other output methods.
For me DTS was working with all releases (my AVR shows PCM 6 channels), given that there's some interim software that does the processing of your input sources to perform a speaker fill.
When I started with Alan's drivers, it was either Nahimic or Creative version per version, whichever was able to start and not whine about hardware not found :)
Over time I switched to APO and upmixing equalisers to get rid of that dependency on specific vendor-bound software. This way Windows always presents its audio endpoint as 5.1-capable no matter what's the input, and conversion is seamless so it only works when there are less than 5.1 channels in the input source.
Hope it clarifies.

Yes, I saw that comment about ASIO mentioned twice or so when I went back some 500 messages to find this:
Which details on how to make 8996.1 to present DTS as a default format instead of DD.

Do I have to have Realtek driver installed 1st if I don't install ASIO? Some specific version?

As for APO, I see it mentioned quite a bit.. I thought it's part of Alan's driver pack already? I don't really want to upmix things, but if that makes 5.1 audio appear as default in games I guess I'm fine with it.

I'll experiment a bit more, picking up on that 8996 bit was the key here to not waste (even more) time trying one version after the other, God knows I spent all night initially.

And in case anyone wonders why I'm doing this - I bought expensive fancy LG OLED55CX tv that has all kinds of modern tomfoolery in the HDMI department. G-sync/Freesync/VRR, HDR10, 4k120Hz etc. All that just makes my otherwise perfectly good home theatre amplifier faint outright and in fact av receivers which support all that stuff are only coming out now and e.g. Yamaha says they'll add those features in "future firmware updates". So you're stuck with HDMI ARC to get audio back from the TV to the amplifier and this does not work very well, in fact LG is pretty pathetic when it comes to audio outputs or what it's able to do with them. Again, if you bought your av receiver withing a 1-3 years time, you might have eARC that supports pretty much the normal HDMI audio formats so you could tell LG to do passthrough and not think about it.

So while the TV is a big upgrade on visuals, it's also a big downgrade on my audio setup. At least this way I can keep a decent DTS 5.1 experience over TOS, entirely bypassing problems on audio processing on the TV. No such luck on satellite box or Roku media player though.. Although both of them have TOS output, there are only that many optical connectors on the av receiver!

HDMI ARC problems are a pretty common topic online..

After some more variations..

Installed 8996.1

• Pick bus driver option (works either way)
  • Pick Realtek HDA control panel
  • Optional: Creative extras, Dolby Atmos, A-volute stuff (Not really needed for 5.1 setup but can be useful for headphones or 2-speaker system)
  • Do not pick ASIO (If you need ASIO, you probably know it e.g. musicians)
  • Reboot
DTS works after applying the realtek device tweak
  • Click on Realtek Audio device tweak icon on desktop
  • Open customized tab
  • Tick customised box
  • set 0 to all six vid/sid/did boxes
  • Click save
  • Reboot
Creative 720 only has 2-speaker mode available. Meh.

Now that I think about it, it's been a while since I dealt with Dolby Digital or DTS, it's always in 5.1 format and it's the job of the amplifier to downsample it if you don't have full speaker setup. So at least in theory windows should be aware that there's 5.1 speaker output available.

You don't have to have the Realtek HD audio manager at all to set the DTS interactive (or Dolby Digital live), you can do this from windows sound settings but it's a bit harder to find the right place that way.

For HDA manager, from the classic control panel:
  • Click on windows button and type con, pick control panel
  • Pick hardware + sound
  • Pick realtek HD Audio manager
  • Open S/PDIF optical output tab
  • Click on set default device button
  • Open default format tab
  • Click on dts interactive button or pick it from the drop-down menu
  • Voilà, at least as far as getting DTS encoding working goes.

I'll check some more combinations of that. It seems the bus driver option does nothing. Picking the "fancy" realtek control panel makes the icon appear in bottom right status box but I don't like having useless stuff there. YMMV. I'll also see if the A-volute audio degrader allows setting speaker setup but I suspect it's only for analog outputs.

After some more variations..

Installed 8996.1

• pick bus driver option
  • Pick Realtek HDA
  • Do not pick anything else (Asio, Dolby Atmos, A-volute, creative stuff)
  • Reboot
DTS works after applying the realtek device tweak
  • Click on Realtek Audio device tweak icon on desktop
  • Open customized tab
  • Tick customised box
  • set 0 to all six vid/sid/did boxes
  • Click save
  • Reboot

This seems pretty solid combination. The audio degraders cannot help you make windows think there's 5.1 audio available but you might want those if you want headphone positional audio etc. Only speaker option is "stereo" with S/PDIF, Not much use for my 5.1 home theatre setup. Dolby atmos seems to be some kind of audio "enhancer" that doesn't do spatial audio. Or maybe it does, I didn't pay much attention to it beyond the "we mess with your audio settings on the fly!"-spiel.

Realtek UAD control panel does not lit up the DTS connect even after you change default format to DTS interactive but I'm not sure if it's cosmetic or not. HDA control panel shows DTS connect being active when you set default format to DTS. The HDA panel does make icon appear on the notification area but it disappears after you apply the RT audio device tweak. You can still get the Realtek audio manager from the classic control panel.

Anyways, let's try some games finally besides spending lots and lots of time getting things to work..

Last edited:
@Barleyman, what an article :) I wonder what's the main purpose you use your AV system for? I've seen movies and gaming so far, right?
For movies it's somewhat easier as all sountracks are pre-compressed and only thing you need to do is ensure proper passthrough of that audio in an unmodified form to the receiving endpoint (in your case either a TV or an AVR).
DTS/DD over SPDIF is easiest to setup but not the best bet in terms of quality as it does a compression of all input on the fly which adds both compression artifacts (mostly unnoticeable) as well as compression delay (some do notice it, especially in action scenes and games).
SPDIF is a legacy format and everything that has more than 2 channels (stereo) is forcibly compressed there. If you're okay with that (most people are) then it's definitely the way to go, at least at the first step.
Note that the default format you set in Realtek panel tells applications (media players and games) how many channels does it accept, so if you set it to DD/DTS it will be 5.1 by default. If you set it to stereo, though, receiving side (AVR or TV) may treat it as a sign to upmix the signal themselves, which may work better or worse depending on their proprietary algorithms.
If you set just plain 5.1 (or 7.1, whichever is available) then apps and games should generate multichannel signal assuming that the receiving side can treat it. In that case AVR or TV will not do any upmixing fully relying on the sender (PC) as it does the speaker fill. Here lies the biggest potential gap - as the receiving side is blindly accepting what it gets, it will simply map the incoming signals to the respective channels and that's it. If for example an application can't make use of more than 2 channels and the system setup is 5.1, your AVR or TV would honestly play just Front Left and Front Right channels, with the rest staying deadly silent. So it's a matter of proper setup of your media players and games so that they fill all the channels with sound - or go for APO as the way to do it on their behalf even if they are uncapable of doing so.

If the audio source is stereo, I don't really see why it's a problem that only front speakers produce sound.. Sure, you may lose a little bit of fidelity in the DTS compression but let's be honest here, 1.5Mbit/s for six channels is enough to be completely transparent for almost everyone, if they have to guess blindly what is playing. Even if DTS encoding is not as high fidelity as, say, MP3 or AAC, bit for bit.

I'm not trying to get some kind of surround effect out of stereo, I was using PC HDMI audio for years, where you just pick your speaker setup from Windows and it Just Works (tm), being PCM and all. Unfortunately with my new TV that's not an option so I had to find another solution to keep surround audio in games without spending even more money to buy av receiver that does basically just the same job as my current amplifier but supports shiny new HDMI standards. I'm not going back to stereo, dammit.

And, yes, with 5.1 home theatre kit you clearly hear where the sound is coming from in games, there's no need to try to force it. A character talking in a game just sounds like he's sitting in place shooting his mouth while you're walking around going mm-hmm. It doesn't add fancy spatial effects like you're in a hallway or something unless game goes to trouble to emulate it but speaker direction is very common.

So the remaining snag is to make games understand there's 5.1 a speaker system available, if you've got HDMI audio it's right there when you right click on Windows speaker icon. I'm not sure that's how it works here. Many games just go with whatever Windows reports, although e.g. RDR2 allows you to change audio explicitly to "surround".

Movies are theoretically easy but e.g. Netflix uses Dolby Digital plus, which is a no go for S/PDIF. It's also a bit so-so for HDMI ARC but e.g. Roku allows you to explicitly set it and damn the torpedoes.

Last edited:

eneskucukov

Thank you very much @erpguy53

Information quoted about keys VENDOR_NAME proceeds.

Here are the images of the updated Nahimic in operation:

Start Screen:
View attachment 177868

Equalizer:
View attachment 177869

NEW DCH DRIVERS RELEASED IN GITHUB
DCH DRIVER VERSION 6.0.9066.1
A-VOLUTE NAHIMIC 3 EXTENSION UPDATED
A-VOLUTE NAHIMIC 3 APP UPDATED

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!

Hi alan, why we cant get on your original uad drivers DDL AND DTS both ?

i modded little bit your last drivers and correctly working all ..
1607138584979.png
1607137070228.png
1607138873725.png
1607137005771.png
1607137070228.png
1607138584979.png
1607138873725.png

Last edited:

titter

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Memory (4x) 8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16 (BLE8G4D36BEEAK)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 2 TB
Display(s) LG OLED 48C1
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hello everybody,

I installed these modded drivers and I immediately noticed the enhanced audio when I played a song. Nice work!

However, I have encountered two serious issues, the second of which I have not been able to solve. Whereas the administrator account on my Windows 10 Pro have no problems whatsoever running the bundled Realtek Audio Console, I have not found any way to do so with my everyday standard (not administrator) account. The Audio Console is not accessible for my standard account to begin with. Playing with permissions for the hidden Programfiles/WindowsApps folder, I could overcome that first problem. (I even made that folder not hidden).

But then a second problem arised, one that I do not know how to solve: when I run the Realtek Audio Console with my standard account, I get three system errors and the application won't open. I am from Spain and have my Windows set in Spanish language, but basically what these error messages are telling me can be summed up as: Code execution can't continue because ******.DLL could not be found. This problem can be solved by reinstalling the program.

Of course, I have reinstalled it several times to no avail. Is normal that my standard account have these problems? What could I try? Thank you.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw that comment about ASIO mentioned twice or so when I went back some 500 messages to find this:
WE NEED A COMMUNITY FAQ AND NOTES FOR SPECIFIC CODECS / REALTEK CONFIGS!

Sorry to quote in-line but I have to say Barley-man (and more) that is an outstanding idea. Namely, instead of asking Alan to do more or keep going back there should be concise searchable answers and values for specific tweaks. The community should be pitching in and going back over the evolution of this product to create a FAQ, a download index and perhaps a timeline of sorts that tracks whatever gets fixed or broken. It is kind of overwhelming at first an if you didnt unselect options you could install multiple competing and resource heavy audio managers to all run at startup! Not fun on old hardware if you like framerates above 30. I have ALC892 and its so good now. I had to stop trying to make Creative 720 work but I will try again or maybe install outside of Realtek drivers. Soundblaster does the best job with positional audio references for footsteps of an enemy or teammate coming towards you from a general direction. Right now Dolby Atmos telling me if its North/South, East/West which is better than nothing. the Creative 720 game more accurate direction as well as distance as it gets louder closer. I think i might buy a Creative headset which would include those drivers (but Im broke now, some day!)

I think I have been riding along for the AAF show over a year now and the resulting sound quality has gotten SO GOOD! SPDIF nin not worked at all and i was using every ports (6 cables to get terrible 5.1) The Asus P97X79 is the legacy with ALC892. It went from terrible when it did work to amazing. No need to change anything for movies or music now. If i do get a 'real' gaming rig I will likely keep this PC as a media player and networked storage. Which is why a FAQ is critical to the ongoing proliferation of Alan's project.

A big part of enjoying Realtek's superb onboard sound is not only on your PC as hardware and software but its equally important to dial in your output too. Until I set the right resistance and distances on my Sony receiver it wasn't right. Getting the LFE enabled and having the decoder signal turn on for the first time wasn't an accident. So having notes for specific models or profiles for hardware variations might be useful for the next person.

I use two different apps for entertainment. VLC for movies and streaming networked feeds. This is one of the most powerful, least recognized options that allows me to stream HD feeds from channels around the world at no expense and its copypasta easy. Just last week I noticed an new audio option. Maybe not new but first time I saw it. Go into Preferences (advanced) and select Audio > Output > there is an option for SPDIF audio passthrough (enables AC3/DTS) since my DTS 5.1 works great I decided to give it a shot. I may have woken up my neighbor though. There is no volume control (with the PC or VLC) so I had to turn down the receiver (thankfully I have a remote) I just started Conan the Barbarian (1981) and it got loud quick. But I have watched a few other cinematic epics with orchestral scores like Lawrence of Arabia and it sounds glorious.

As amazing as VLC is for movies and video content nothing I know of holds a candle to FooBar2000. I have known about this project for years but figured it was just a way for the talent people at Deviant Art to show off their edgy new look. Its a deep pocket of A/V geek nirvana and I take back every assumption I made because I was so wrong. Most people here still know more about sound and audio control in Windows than I will but if there is a better way to listen to all your stuff the way you like it let me know. Until then this is not the easy or pretty choice until you get it all dialed in. But not only are there some cool skins and plug-ins for youtube and spotify now (even playing video natively or as pop-out) the there are many library management plugins, built-in conversion, DTS capture, 5.1 upmix, LFE spectrum management (built by a guy who says he never programmed before and does not own a sub-woofer) but wanted a 'challenge' so he made a thing that works amazing! That community spirit reflects what I see here.

Another mega-post. But just in case newer members missed it I have a 'wish list' for my gaming audio in playing Battlefield 5 (and BF1, BF4 etc) I want to use the 'Scout Mode' in 360/720 or another equivalent so I can hear people sneaking up behind me beforew i get my wits scared out of me and watch a gruesome execution (me) helpless. KGA config didn't work for me. Dolby Atmos set to "gaming" and "detailed" is better than nothing. For that I am grateful. If someone has a stand alone install please hook me up. Or if you have experience buying Creative headsets.

The next thing is bizarre and I want an answer (but can't find yet) sometimes when playing Battlefield late at night with my headset on i started hearing voices. Maybe I stayed up too late and started losing it! Nope the game audio was in my headset but the Battlefield programs VOIP was assigned to SPDIF output and my receiver was on! Its an easy workaround but what I really want to is a choice to reverse it. Put all game audio out via SPDIF and just VOIP squad comms on headset. Can't find a lead on how but there must be a way!!

Peace and health to you all.

DeepMind

It seems the latest DCH Driver does not work anymore with my MSI Motherboard which has a Realtek ACL 1220. No sound form rear speakers, only Stereo. I installed it 5 times with different options, tried both Dolby Digital and DTS

But it worked with an older one.

AAF DCH Optimus Sound 6.0.8996.1 (Updated) (Signed)

which also installed both Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive, so I could decide which one to use.

Anyone here with the same issue?

Besides that, great work. I searched quite long for a working 5.1 solution and happy to found it here. Altough it is embarassing that such a driver does not exist officially from MSI, Realtek or Microsoft.

Driver: AAF DCH Optimus Sound 6.0.9066.1 (Nahimic Fix) (Signed) | Device: Gigabyte Azalia HD (ALC 889) | Speakers: Logitech Z906, 5.1 Surround DDL-DTS-THX, Analogue and Digital.

Analogue: Everything works, including multi channel (5.1), no stereo expand or stereo surround options for stereo, neither app expands stereo (doesn't work).
Digital: Default DDL and DTS modes don't re-process analogue 5.1 to digital 5.1, my speakers show '5.1 decode' but only stereo is output.

Potplayer: Set to re-process multi channel analogue to DTS multi channel, works perfectly over digital, even 7.1.

I can also disable the default 5.1 in the digital properties, and set 2 channels, then in Potplayer set speakers to 5.1 and I get '5.1 decode' on the speakers.
If I then enable expand to stereo to surround, it up scales stereo into expand, although I prefer stereo surround over expand.

Digital: If I set the 'Output' in Potplayer to PCM, when playing analogue ACC 5.1, I can see the bitrate is too high for 5.1 digital, and only stereo plays.

----

Maxthon web browser will play 5.1 analogue over analogue, and Edge plays both 5.1 analogue and 5.1 AC3 (DDL) over analogue.

----

If I install the DDL version I get 'Gigabyte' Realtek Manager with all features (Correct for my board), If I do DTS I get a 'Generic' Realtek Manager with features missing.

----

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (H²O)
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taichi
Cooling NZXT X61 + 2x PH-F140XP | NZXT X41 + PH-F140XP
Memory G.Skill 32 GiB DDR4@3600 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT (H²O)
Storage Crucial MX200 250GB, SEC 970 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
Audio Device(s) ALC1220, DT 770 Pro, UR44
Power Supply BeQuiet! SP E10 700W
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
Software EndeavourOS | Pop!_OS | Win10
I also tried that new driver: https://github.com/AlanFinotty/AAFDCHDriverMod/releases/tag/6.0.9066.2

I could install it & nearly all works fine for me (not tested 5.1 over TOSLINK), but only one thing let's me deinstall it.
The 7.1 analogue output don't give me 7.1 - I only get 5.1 + Line Input like the generic Realtek driver does.
I couldn't re-set this Line Input to a side/rear speaker output.

The new Dolby Atmos & Nahimic works great.

For my visual perception the Gigabyte HDA version looks good, but I don't like to have a different logo to my ASRock board.
I prefere the generic one on legacy HDA.

So I went back to https://github.com/AlanFinotty/AAFDCHDriverMod/releases/tag/6.0.8996.2
Here all analogue outputs (up to 7.1) are possible.

But after all I now have the problem, that Nahimic don't want to start.
Everey time I click on it, it shows themself 1-2sec ... and then ends immediately.

I tried to install a second time, but it's not really better. How is it possible to reactivate it?
Any idea ..?

I noticed the LG tv likes to grab the default audio output from S/PDIF optical. You can create a task to run on wake-up-from sleep like this:
That shows you how to create a new task and set up the trigger to run when PC wakes up. Task scheduler you can run by clicking on windows-button and typing "Task Scheduler".

And you can use this to change the default audio device, among many other things:

So basically, unzip the files to e.g. c:\nircmd , start task manager and follow instructions in the link to create a wake-up task, on the "Actions" tab it pick "start a program" with
Program/Script = "c:\nircmd\nircmdc.exe"
Add arguments = setdefaultsounddevice "Digital S/PDIF Optical Output"

Presuming you want the TOS optical output of course. You don't need (actually can't) include the (AAC DCH Optimus blabla) part.

Finally on "General" tab you should pick "run whether user is logged on or not", because after sleep you usually are asked for your password. You have to type in your password when you "OK" it because that's how it runs the command when you're not logged in.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (H²O)
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taichi
Cooling NZXT X61 + 2x PH-F140XP | NZXT X41 + PH-F140XP
Memory G.Skill 32 GiB DDR4@3600 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT (H²O)
Storage Crucial MX200 250GB, SEC 970 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
Audio Device(s) ALC1220, DT 770 Pro, UR44
Power Supply BeQuiet! SP E10 700W
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
Software EndeavourOS | Pop!_OS | Win10
@Barleyman
To which person do you answer?

Please put in an "@<avatarname>", that everybody could see this clear.

woytas

Hi guys! I fed up. I fight with my onboard sound card Realtek® ALC1220-VB at my Gigabyte Z390 Pro for few days now. I manage to install driver and card works but... I can choose DTS output and connect to my Logitech Z5400 5.1 and its recognise DTS properly, but either THX or Sonic Studio don't make any changes to sound and I have only working 2.1 sound. Rest of speakers not working. When I use Dolby Atmos or DTS HedphonesX via Spatial sound, I can hear surround sound effect but is far worst what real DTS can do. Can I do something or I'm doomed and will be better to go and buy some Sound Blaster X-Fi card? Any sugestion?

PIC1.jpg

Attachments

• PIC2.jpg
    PIC2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 175
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 137
  • PIC4.jpg
    PIC4.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 148
  • PIC5.jpg