• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtek Modded Audio Driver for Windows 10/11 - Only for HDAUDIO

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (H²O)
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taichi
Cooling NZXT X61 + 2x PH-F140XP | NZXT X41 + PH-F140XP
Memory G.Skill 32 GiB DDR4@3600 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT (H²O)
Storage Crucial MX200 250GB, SEC 970 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
Audio Device(s) ALC1220, DT 770 Pro, UR44
Power Supply BeQuiet! SP E10 700W
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
Software EndeavourOS | Pop!_OS | Win10
Prostate specific antigen.

@woytas
If you read the last 3-5 pages, you'll see, that the AAF-driver has this specific problem after the https://github.com/AlanFinotty/AAFDCHDriverMod/releases/tag/6.0.8996.2

Sorry, but Alan didn't fix it in new versions ...
He has only 2.0 Headset and no 5.1 loudspeaker setup. So he don't know how to test it.

I mean, he could take LEDs or so instead of acoustic output, but Alan alone could decide to do it or not.
I'm not in the knowledge to do it & no time to learn it (audio programming).

Last edited:
System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
He has only 2.0 Headset and no 5.1 loudspeaker setup. So he don't know how to test it.

Well that's a bit poor he really should have the kit to test his results of modding otherwise he's never going to get a complete result

System Name Desktop
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
Okay. I'll donate €20 to @Alan Finote, if he would fix the SPDIF 5.1 issue.

@Athlonite
It's not poor. It's rich, what he is doing.
He spend his own time by doing this and give that to other people for free.
And it's nice installer and a lot of features in one pack.
It would be great and wonderful service of him to fix that, if he could do it.
Don't know if he's able or not to find that out.

And it would be nice to have this option in HDA to change the blue "line input" from back panel to "side speaker output" to make 7.1 analogue working.
:peace:

Last edited:
Tanzmusikus

I have 5.1, so I cant fully test 7.1. However the Gigabyte Realtek Manager version has the options to setup the analogue connectors (I hope we can soon choose which brand to install, I want to keep this one).
If I select 5.1 as native, I get front, center but no rear (due to side setup), and have to change connectors. I did find if I set 7.1 and disable side, I get 5.1 + virtual sides (what a bonus).

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

The sound card is a Gigabyte Azalia HD (ALC889). My original post here.

----

Digital:

In short the drivers do work, but only if the audio is re-encoded, re-processed correctly for digital. However the default settings and lack of re-processing means stereo over digital.
If an app sends audio to digital, if the audio is not in the correct format and bitrate, it will play only stereo, regardless of the number of channels being sent.

DDL AC3 5.1 (digital) = 6 channels, max bitrate: 640kbps, compressed.
DTS 5.1 (digital) = 6 channels, max bitrate: 1536kbps, compressed.
AAC 5.1 (digital) = 6 channels, max bitrate: 320kbps, compressed.
PCM 5.1 (analogue) = 6 channels, max bitrate: 6350kbps.

If the app, game uses ACC 5.1, due to lack of re-encoding as the default for audio processing, you get PCM 6x 6350kbps, too high for both digital standards, not compressed. Stereo as the result.
If the app, game uses DDL or DTS 5.1, the stream should already come in the correct compression by standard and bitrate that is used by that standard. 5.1 as the result.

In my example I used Potplayer to re-encode the AAC 5.1 (160kbps) to DTS 5.1 (1536kbps), and got all speakers, but not with PCM.

----

I can tell you roughly how my Creative X-Fi did it.

There was a background app (.exe), cant remember the name, however, in the Creative Audio Panel, you would select Dolby Digital or DTS Connect.
It would then tell you, to get best experience over digital, select Speakers (analogue) as you default output device (not Digital, SPDIF).

The background (.exe) would then read you speaker settings (5.1, 7.1) to get max channels, and then passthrough and re-encode all 'Speaker' playback to 'Digital'.
This meant that both analogue and digital where being sent to the receiver using your selected decoder (DDL, DTS), with all channels.

If DDL or DTS was played back, both analogue and digital would play all channels, so the background (.exe) app worked both ways.

The Creative setup also allowed me to select 'stereo expand' or 'stereo surround' for upscaling stereo to all channels.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
If I select 5.1 as native, I get front, center but no rear (due to side setup), and have to change connectors.
It's like my 7.1 problem, only in 5.1 ... so I stay with 6.0.8996.2 alias fix6.0.8996.1

Tanzmusikus

I have 5.1, so I cant fully test 7.1. However the Gigabyte Realtek Manager version has the options to setup the analogue connectors (I hope we can soon choose which brand to install, I want to keep this one).
If I select 5.1 as native, I get front, center but no rear (due to side setup), and have to change connectors. I did find if I set 7.1 and disable side, I get 5.1 + virtual sides (what a bonus).

View attachment 178928 View attachment 178929 View attachment 178930 View attachment 178931

The sound card is a Gigabyte Azalia HD (ALC889). My original post here.

----

Digital:

In short the drivers do work, but only if the audio is re-encoded, re-processed correctly for digital. However the default settings and lack of re-processing means stereo over digital.
If an app sends audio to digital, if the audio is not in the correct format and bitrate, it will play only stereo, regardless of the number of channels being sent.

DDL AC3 5.1 (digital) = 6 channels, max bitrate: 640kbps, compressed.
DTS 5.1 (digital) = 6 channels, max bitrate: 1536kbps, compressed.
AAC 5.1 (digital) = 6 channels, max bitrate: 320kbps, compressed.
PCM 5.1 (analogue) = 6 channels, max bitrate: 6350kbps.

If the app, game uses ACC 5.1, due to lack of re-encoding as the default for audio processing, you get PCM 6x 6350kbps, too high for both digital standards, not compressed. Stereo as the result.
If the app, game uses DDL or DTS 5.1, the stream should already come in the correct compression by standard and bitrate that is used by that standard. 5.1 as the result.

In my example I used Potplayer to re-encode the AAC 5.1 (160kbps) to DTS 5.1 (1536kbps), and got all speakers, but not with PCM.

----

I can tell you roughly how my Creative X-Fi did it.

There was a background app (.exe), cant remember the name, however, in the Creative Audio Panel, you would select Dolby Digital or DTS Connect.
It would then tell you, to get best experience over digital, select Speakers (analogue) as you default output device (not Digital, SPDIF).

The background (.exe) would then read you speaker settings (5.1, 7.1) to get max channels, and then passthrough and re-encode all 'Speaker' playback to 'Digital'.
This meant that both analogue and digital where being sent to the receiver using your selected decoder (DDL, DTS), with all channels.

If DDL or DTS was played back, both analogue and digital would play all channels, so the background (.exe) app worked both ways.

The Creative setup also allowed me to select 'stereo expand' or 'stereo surround' for upscaling stereo to all channels.
Good catch @Ferather - it seems you spotted the root of our common problem!
To get a multichannel sound there are at least two key factors - first, to enable a multi-channel "tunnel" between the source player and receiving endpoint, which is achieved completely by Alan's toolset, and then the tricky part - to fill all 6 "lanes" of that tunnel with proper media channels, otherwise it's just 2 lanes in a 6-way tunnel.
There are different methods to achieve it, from simple and rough copy of FR + FL to all rear and side channels, to more gentle and intelligent, with a lot of processing, psychoacoustic modelling, selective equalisation, room delays and so on - and that's where Alan's pack sometimes fails. Notorious 8996.2 tends to follow the first approach, it unconditionally fills all available speakers with whatever is coming from the source, and for the majority of cases it is fine. All later packs take another approach which is supposed to be more sophisticated but in fact, given the variety of client OS, Realtek chips, installed and bundled software, returns highly unpredictable results which we read here (and apparently there are lucky "set and forget" lads who just installed the pack, got what they want and never returned to the forum as they don't have any reasons to complain, but we'll never know that :)
I think we need some kind of a graphical representation of that "tunnel" and options to fill it for a simplified understanding of audio processing workflow and its key steps. I will try to draft something, at least it might help someone diagnose which chains in the process work fine and which do fail so that they don't blame the pack as such, only some configuration bits and pieces so that Alan gets more detailed feedback pointed to improvement.

AAF Optimus

Account Closed - Will not update Projects
System Name NEW AAF OPTIMUS RIG
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6C/12T)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gammax L120T
Memory CRUCIAL Pro Gaming 32GB DDR4-3200 (@3733) (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB MSI Ventus 2X OC LHR
Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Display(s) AOC VIPER 27" 165Hz 1ms (27G2SE)
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
Audio Device(s) REALTEK S1200A (ALC1200) with AAF Optimus Audio
Power Supply REDRAGON RGPS 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Full Modular
Mouse CLAHM CL-MM386 7200DPI
Keyboard MOTOSPEED CK-108 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
NEW DCH DRIVERS RELEASED IN GITHUB
DCH DRIVER VERSION UPDATED TO 6.0.9071.1
NEW CHANGES

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!

Last edited:

critical2

Desperately need someone's help :/ I'm noob in sound settings and I don't know where I should start.

I bought 5.1 Logitech Z906 speakers. Currently using them from Optical Digital Audio Out from TV. TV is connected via Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 50ft to PC (GTX 1080). Mainboard is ASRock Z370 with built-in Realtek audio card. On my PC (Windows 10 x64) Sound settings, my TV always shows like: LG TV (High Definition Audio Device), and in its Configure there was always one Stereo option available, in Properties -> Spatial sound - it was always turned off. Recently I bought Dolby Access app from Microsoft Store for 10$ and with it I got new variant in Spatial Sound named Dolby, and 5.1 actually works in games, movies etc, and control panel of Z906 always shows DECODE light while in-game that supports 5.1 or movie with 5.1 sound format, so 5.1 works fully as much as needed. BUT, it works only before next system restart. After that I actually need to delete LG TV as audio driver, delete Dolby Access, restart system again, install Dolby and it would work again up to the next system restart.

I tried to uninstall all audio drivers via Rapr, install AAFAudioPackDCH-6.0.9066.1, but in my case that doesn't work at all. Realtek audio console always shows nothing, THX Truestudio says that audio device is disabled, despite the fact that LG TV is enabled and is the only one available audio device. Tell me pls where I should start so I don't need to read all 111 pages, please. Thanks for your time!

AAF Optimus

Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
NEW DCH DRIVERS RELEASED IN GITHUB
DCH DRIVER VERSION UPDATED TO 6.0.9071.1
NEW CHANGES

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!
Correction: UPDATED TO 6.0.9071.1

System Name Desktop
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
@critical2
Maybe deactivating of "fastboot" in the Windows energy options "Choose, what to do when pushing the power button" could help.
This is a common problem of the fastboot and deactivating could fix a lot of problems. ;)

@Alan Finote
Is there again in the new driver the option of the 'blue analogue input' to configure as 'side speaker output' for 7.1?

Last edited:
System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
Desperately need someone's help :/ I'm noob in sound settings and I don't know where I should start.

I bought 5.1 Logitech Z906 speakers. Currently using them from Optical Digital Audio Out from TV. TV is connected via Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 50ft to PC (GTX 1080). Mainboard is ASRock Z370 with built-in Realtek audio card. On my PC (Windows 10 x64) Sound settings, my TV always shows like: LG TV (High Definition Audio Device), and in its Configure there was always one Stereo option available, in Properties -> Spatial sound - it was always turned off. Recently I bought Dolby Access app from Microsoft Store for 10$ and with it I got new variant in Spatial Sound named Dolby, and 5.1 actually works in games, movies etc, and control panel of Z906 always shows DECODE light while in-game that supports 5.1 or movie with 5.1 sound format, so 5.1 works fully as much as needed. BUT, it works only before next system restart. After that I actually need to delete LG TV as audio driver, delete Dolby Access, restart system again, install Dolby and it would work again up to the next system restart.

I tried to uninstall all audio drivers via Rapr, install AAFAudioPackDCH-6.0.9066.1, but in my case that doesn't work at all. Realtek audio console always shows nothing, THX Truestudio says that audio device is disabled, despite the fact that LG TV is enabled and is the only one available audio device. Tell me pls where I should start so I don't need to read all 111 pages, please. Thanks for your time!
You are not using Realtek audio, thus modded driver does not help.
HDMI and DisplayPort devices use an audio controller located on GPU.
1. Get rid of the driver mod, uninstall anything Realtek. Also disable the integrated audio in BIOS if you are not using motherboard audio.
2. Go to Properties -> Spatial sound of the device panel (the one labelled "LG TV (High Definition Audio Device)"). Verify if it is set to Dolby Atmos for Home Theater (not Dolby Atmos for Headphone).
3. If it is not, or if you are not seeing this above option, you will need to apply APO driver mod on the audio endpoint. Check if you can enable Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, or report again, I, or someone else, will help you in setting 5.1 via APO driver.

critical2

@critical2
Maybe deactivating of "fastboot" in the Windows energy options "Choose, what to do when pushing the power button" could help.
This is a common problem of the fastboot and deactivating could fix a lot of problems. ;)

Thank you. If it calls "Turn on fast startup" then I just disabled it. Unfortunately, that didn't help. On BIOS, fatsboot feature is also disabled.

You are not using Realtek audio, thus modded driver does not help.
HDMI and DisplayPort devices use an audio controller located on GPU.
1. Get rid of the driver mod, uninstall anything Realtek. Also disable the integrated audio in BIOS if you are not using motherboard audio.
2. Go to Properties -> Spatial sound of the device panel (the one labelled "LG TV (High Definition Audio Device)"). Verify if it is set to Dolby Atmos for Home Theater (not Dolby Atmos for Headphone).
3. If it is not, or if you are not seeing this above option, you will need to apply APO driver mod on the audio endpoint. Check if you can enable Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, or report again, I, or someone else, will help you in setting 5.1 via APO driver.

Thanks!

1. Done
2. After step 1, Spatial sound has only one option: Windows Sonic for headphones. But, if I install Dolby Access app, I'll get two non-changeable Dolby Atmos options. And it will be changed automatically to Dolby Atmos for Home Theater here and in Advanced tab only if I do some tricks with drivers uninstallation and pc restart in non-logical sequences, and it will work only for the next PC restart.
3. I actually tried APO drivers but it seems I didn't configure them right.

I got this working today a couple of times with Realtek_Audio(v8470_UAD_WHQL_ASR). Rapr shows only those three drivers: hdxrt4.inf, nvhda.inf, hdxasrok.inf. IMO problem is caused by Dolby Access app, because I got it working only after reinstall this app after some drivers/restart PC actions, but without any logical order of that actions.. Some times it works, some times doesn't.

P.S. Just preinstalled all software from PureSoftApps: APO Driver [2.8.6] Which driver should I choose in APO driver setup wizard?

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
Thanks a lot @Alan Finote for the nice new modded audio driver v6.0.9071.1! :clap:

Almost all is working properly incl. 7.1 analogue output and D-Atmos/A-Nahimic further both DDL/DTS-I streaming. :rockout:
Before I had to delete some remnants from the old v6.0.8996.1fix -> the Optimus audio bus & some Nahimic tasks/services.

Only the 5.1 DDL/DTS-C encoding-bug over SPDIF is still crawling through. :pimp:
I've tested it with 5.1 PCM movies p.e. tdt-free-guy-2020 and games p.e. HorizonZD.
With DD-/DTS-sources ... and the test sound under [codec formats] -> there's correct 5.1 surround sound.
In games and with 5.1-PCM sources there's only 2.0 or 2.1 sound ... and it's very quiet - maybe ~20dB less than without encoding.

D

Deleted member 193792

Thanks a lot @Alan Finote for the nice new modded audio driver v6.0.9071.1! :clap:

Almost all is working properly incl. 7.1 analogue output and D-Atmos/A-Nahimic further both DDL/DTS-I streaming. :rockout:
Before I had to delete some remnants from the old v6.0.8996.1fix -> the Optimus audio bus & some Nahimic tasks/services.

Only the 5.1 DDL/DTS-C encoding-bug over SPDIF is still crawling through. :pimp:
I've tested it with 5.1 PCM movies p.e. tdt-free-guy-2020 and games p.e. HorizonZD.

With DD-/DTS-sources ... and the test sound under [codec formats] -> there's correct 5.1 surround sound.
In games and with 5.1-PCM sources there's only 2.0 or 2.1 sound ... and it's very quiet - maybe ~20dB less than without encoding.
Can @Alan Finote tell us if this bug is specific to his package or does it exist in general in all the latest Realtek drivers?

AAF Optimus

Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
System Name Desktop
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
So, we could try the regulary Realtek audio driver v6.0.9071.1 to check against that.

I only found MSI UAD version @ stationdriver, but I can't use that on my ASRock board.
For ASRock there's only version v6.0.9066.1.

My interest in 5.1-SPDIF encoding has ended, because the quality of original Realtek HDA driver is not that worth and the delay to long.
The M$ standard audio driver is only capable 5.1 in two variations, but I like to have the full 7.1 support.

So I stay with Alan Finotes modded version for analogue output and the well prepared enhancer collection. :peace:

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
You may need to own an official product with DDL/DTS-C compatible Realtek HDA chip for getting support.
I don't know if there's any support for consumer - maybe only for B2B.

Here's an e-mail address:
Realtek HDA Support Taiwan.png

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 x64 LTSC 1809
Processor Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Extreme6
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 16GB
Video Card(s) Radeon 5700xt Sapphire Pulse
Display(s) Acer xz321qu
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Greetings. Will theese drivers setup properly on my pc?
specs are in specs
and btw, i don't have any UWP components. (due to ltsc build)

System Name Desktop
Display(s) LG 34GL750-B
Mouse EndgameGear XM1
Keyboard Cherry RS 6000M
Yes, your onboard HD audio chip Realtek ALC1150 is supported by Alan Finotes modded drivers.
I guess you to take the new v6.0.9071.1 from the 1rst page.

You can decide beteen some Enhancers, but you have to untick Creative driver.
If you don't use it for audio recording, then you may not need the ASIO driver, too.

Before installing you have to deinstall Realtek audio driver, if installed.
You could do it in Windows app options ... or by the help of DriverStoreExplorer (start with Admin rights).

Ok so your latest drivers are a small improvement, but there still needs to be a background process (.exe) that re-encodes multichannel PCM to multi channel digital (what the user has selected, DDL or DTS).
At the moment there is no re-encoding, and multi-channel PCM is not possible over digital. My unsupported creative did this, both PCM was converted to DDL or DTS, and DTS-DDL to PCM.

If DDL-DTS was played, analogue would receive PCM, and digital DDL-DTS. If PCM was played, analogue would receive PCM, and digital DDL-DTS.
Currently multichannel PCM, is 'not' converted to multichannel DTS, if I select DTS in the options for example.

"TOSLINK does not have the bandwidth to carry DTS-HD MA (or PCM in more than 2 channels). A player using TOSLINK audio may output DTS-HD MA as either lossy DTS (which TOSLINK can carry) or downmixed stereo PCM. "

DTS-HD Master Audio - Wikipedia

Mason76

hi alan,can you build driver with only srs effect
you old driver realteck + srs premium not work on my notebook(

System Name Windows 10 x64 LTSC 1809
Processor Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Extreme6
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 16GB
Video Card(s) Radeon 5700xt Sapphire Pulse
Display(s) Acer xz321qu
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Yes, your onboard HD audio chip Realtek ALC1150 is supported by Alan Finotes modded drivers.
I guess you to take the new v6.0.9071.1 from the 1rst page.

You can decide beteen some Enhancers, but you have to untick Creative driver.
If you don't use it for audio recording, then you may not need the ASIO driver, too.

Before installing you have to deinstall Realtek audio driver, if installed.
You could do it in Windows app options ... or by the help of DriverStoreExplorer (start with Admin rights).
Ok, i followed instructions and de-installed previous realtek drv-restarted-installed the new v6.0.9071.1 (unchecked creative stuff/ASIO)
and... got no realtek console management.
the screen from devices/screen from Realtek Audio Device Tweak
There's some sound, but i think it's the default one.