• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reflashing to original 5700 non XT bios fails with "ROM not erased ERROR/ F0L01"

Henselt33

You referring to "amdvbflash -unlockrom 0" for instance? As stated in the OP, this did not solve the lockout. The unlock command seemed to have worked when i still had the card and executing this command ended with "Rom unlocked" or something like that. But the write lock was not affected by this. I had taken a look at all the other commands on offer, but i did not find thorough explanations for some of them and i felt not inclined to do more blind fumdling around without help/explanations what could be the issue at the time. For me it is rather academic at this point since i don't have the card anymore. But if anyone finds a definitive explanation and solution, i'd be sure interested!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
for windows, its always /? using the command prompt.

Some are /? Others are -?

You referring to "amdvbflash -unlockrom 0" for instance? As stated in the OP, this did not solve the lockout. The unlock command seemed to have worked when i still had the card and executing this command ended with "Rom unlocked" or something like that. But the write lock was not affected by this. I had taken a look at all the other commands on offer, but i did not find thorough explanations for some of them and i felt not inclined to do more blind fumdling around without help/explanations what could be the issue at the time. For me it is rather academic at this point since i don't have the card anymore. But if anyone finds a definitive explanation and solution, i'd be sure interested!

Most surefireway to get a card to flash is to use a spi programmer

Rsxin

Got same on red devil 5700
1) flashed oc bios with xt version
2) card - doesn't start
3) switched to silient - doesn't start
4) install card as second and try flash oc - error, flashed silient - ok - but card still not working
5) flashed both bioses with spi programmer (got dump from same live card)
and card still not working oO

Last edited by a moderator:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Y'all arent doint it right. First and foremost always have a back-up plan in case a bios flash does not work correctly, you got a means to restore the card, so that means having a spare video card or a processor with an onboard graphics accelerator.

There is so much involved with flashing that y'all need to follow directions correctly.

Plus y'all need to have bios files that have a close device ID and sub system ID to what you already have and then also whatever memory is contained in that bios file needs to be same as the one that you are flashing from.

So take for example XFX 5700 double dissipation ultra, Flash to 5700 XT thicc 2 ultra.

If your card has Samsung memory that new bios must have Samsung memory contain in its details, if it is Micron it must contain micron.

If you are doing device and subsystem ID flashing you must unlock the BIOS ROM first and then Force flash.

Otherwise I'm just going to say this don't do it at all.

Since this requires a command prompt flashing you must have the command prompt open with administrative rights

Follow this for directions

Last edited:

Rsxin

i have 2 red devils, so i dumped 2 dumps of "oc" and "silient" bios from working card and flash it directly in two GD25Q80C with ch341a programmer - card don't go alive and "OC" chip still can't be flashable in windows (if using it as a second card). "silient" chip can be flashable from windows without errors - but it's not working

Also when it was flashed with xt bios - was flashed only "OC" bios, second "silient" bios - remained are untouched. And after flashing only first bios with xt version - card don't working on both bios chips

pomawka881

Terrible news! The worst thing is that it is unlikely that there will ever be a solution to this problem. Will have constantly to live with BIOS from XT and praying, to map not burned down from overheating!

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Terrible news! The worst thing is that it is unlikely that there will ever be a solution to this problem. Will have constantly to live with BIOS from XT and praying, to map not burned down from overheating!

Or you could have, y'know, not flashed the XT BIOS to begin with.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

Ive had 2 members successfully flash 2 5700s to XTs there is the right way and wrong way of doing it, the wrong way is where yall are getting this error code

pomawka881

Ive had 2 members successfully flash 2 5700s to XTs there is the right way and wrong way of doing it, the wrong way is where yall are getting this error code
Tell us what is the correct way to flash 5700 to 5700XT. After this method, it is possible to flash the stock BIOS on PowerColor? There's nothing in the manual about that.

Therefore, it is necessary to add to the instruction information about the features of the BIOS PowerColor firmware.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
The problem is most come here with cards broken.

First thing ask before flashing.

A power color bios must go with a power color card, its in the details of each bios file here.

In other forum i read info that Pulse have 2 revisions:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213915/sapphire-rx5700xt-8192-190811
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212910/sapphire-rx5700xt-8192-190722-2

Subsystem Id:1DA2 E408
Subsystem Id:1DA2 E411

On my red devil flash was succefuly - but after flashing oc chip - card got broken on oc and silient chips immideatly

There are multiple stock keeping units for sapphire cards.

Its paramount to have a backup plan gor disaster recovery

Rsxin

I flashed Red devil 5700xt bios to red devil 5700 = card broken
Plan was that: switch to silient bios and flash back, and i have another red devil 5700 and dumped 2 bioses from it. But flashing them = card still broken. what the shit with powercolor ? oO

pomawka881

The problem is most come here with cards broken.

First thing ask before flashing.

A power color bios must go with a power color card, its in the details of each bios file here.

There are multiple stock keeping units for sapphire cards.

Its paramount to have a backup plan gor disaster recovery
I don't have a broken card. It works well. I just can't flash back the stock BIOS. Neither the one that is on the site, nor your own backup. If there is a way to do this advise me.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I don't have a broken card. It works well. I just can't flash back the stock BIOS. Neither the one that is on the site, nor your own backup. If there is a way to do this advise me.

Not even a unlock command?

pomawka881

Not even a unlock command?
The unlock command did not help. Not only the original BIOS is not flashed, but the BIOS from XT is not flashed again. In General, you cannot flash anything at all.

I flashed Red devil 5700xt bios to red devil 5700 = card broken
Plan was that: switch to silient bios and flash back, and i have another red devil 5700 and dumped 2 bioses from it. But flashing them = card still broken. what the shit with powercolor ? oO
PowerColor cards are flashed without problems. And work on firmware from XT. But the BIOS partition in which the XT firmware was installed is not possible to flash in the future! Not on any firmware.

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm having the same issue, Flashed XT Red devil bios to a red devil 5700 and cannot go back in the OC bios but Silent side flashes fine...

@eidairaman1

You "Guide" does not solve the problem. Why are you so determined in pushing it?

This is NOT a syntax error, I have flashed plenty of ATI cards in my days and this is an unique issue. If you do not have the solution why not say it, otherwise don't chime in anymore...

I have tried switching to silent booting and then while in windows switching to OC and flashing and still get the error. Very strange...

I also used the correct XT bios for the model. A Red Devil 5700 XT bios for a Red Devil 5700...

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I'm having the same issue, Flashed XT Red devil bios to a red devil 5700 and cannot go back in the OC bios but Silent side flashes fine...

@eidairaman1

You "Guide" does not solve the problem. Why are you so determined in pushing it?

This is NOT a syntax error, I have flashed plenty of ATI cards in my days and this is an unique issue. If you do not have the solution why not say it, otherwise don't chime in anymore...

I have tried switching to silent booting and then while in windows switching to OC and flashing and still get the error. Very strange...

I also used the correct XT bios for the model. A Red Devil 5700 XT bios for a Red Devil 5700...

It's a general guide and it is not mine, as i did not write it.

If you are restoring a mining card back to gaming or a bricked card due to wrong ram you use the latest ati flash in windows gui mode, if you are changing the subsystem ID (like in the thread here)

You must start at this point and read it and understand it, flashing is very detailed and not for the squeemish. Also you are on your own if you brick the card.

By the way dont be an ass

Last edited:
System Name Gaming Rig
Software Windows 11 Pro
I am not being an "ass" and I am not expecting to be hand-fed which it is clear to me you are against and I understand that, I have been around long enough to know. However when multiple people tell you that what you are posting is NOT helping why do you continue down the same path? You been around long enough as I to lend a helping hand instead of just telling people to read a guide. But whatever I digress... Thanks for trying to help...

Last edited:

Kedukettu

So it seems that the first flash enabled the bios hard lock function. This function is built in directly on bios chip which is GD25Q80C in this case. You can google the data sheet of this particular chip to identify the pins. In some cases you can short the writing protection pin to override this protection. Somebody with more experience can make more detailed guide and Ill take no responsibility whatsoever if you try this at home.

Last edited:

Rsxin

But first time - flash process is ok - no lock )
second chip is also GD25Q80C and it flashes normaly

Kedukettu

Maybe the software is a bit different when handling the other bios, in other words, if you solder and switch the chips around it will be still the no.1 bios which is locked? idk

System Name Gaming Rig
Software Windows 11 Pro
I knew it, I've never encountered a hard lock before. I tried every switch command to re-flash the original bios without success!

@eidairaman1 could you help with this one?

EraserPr0

It's a general guide and it is not mine, as i did not write it.

If you are restoring a mining card back to gaming or a bricked card due to wrong ram you use the latest ati flash in windows gui mode, if you are changing the subsystem ID (like in the thread here)

You must start at this point and read it and understand it, flashing is very detailed and not for the squeemish. Also you are on your own if you brick the card.

By the way dont be an ass
I have a video card: PowerColor RX5700 (Red Dragon). I requested a video card before XT Red Dragon. Temperatures are good, but the trouble is with frequency. I tried the undervoltage. All the same, the clocks jump and do not stand still, from 1800 to 1950. And they are constantly changing.

I made a backup before updating the BIOS, and I can say with confidence that it also did not suit me.

So PowerColor came very low. They give flash only 1 time. Those who try to reflash through the programmer get a brick...

I did not know this, I wanted to try to flash another version 1, I thought maybe there will be stability with a frequency, but it wasn’t there ...

pomawka881

Maybe the developers of ATI Flash in the new version of the program will be able to add the possibility of reverse firmware BIOS?

Is it possible to hope for this?!

EraserPr0

Maybe the developers of ATI Flash in the new version of the program will be able to add the possibility of reverse firmware BIOS?

Is it possible to hope for this?!
Honestly, apparently we are stuck. I don’t think that they will pay attention to us and make a bios or correct a mistake. Most likely this is the end.