• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Relative performence - what does it mean?

DUS

What's the formula that estimates the relative performance of GPU X to be 110% better than Y?
Thanks.

Actually I'd be interested in knowing this as well. Does the chart show relative performance in games @1080p for instance, an avg of all 3 resolutions (with multiple games) or what?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

@R0H1T as the title says "1920x1080"

For every single game test (at 1080p in this example), calculate the percentage of each card relative to the "100% card", ie scale all bars uniformly so that the "100%" bar has 100 length.
Then calculate the geometric mean for all these tests

DUS

@W1zzard, so it's the relative change in FPS @1080p always for the same settings and same drivers?
Edit: Even across newer GPU generations?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
It's in percent (%). Averaging fps without normalizing gives high fps titles too much weight over other titles

Test system and driver info is included in all reviews

Last edited:
relative means "in realtin to one another". So if the 1080 Ti is 100% and the 1070 is 70%, the 1070 is 70% as fast as the 1080 RTo ... and the 1080 ti is 1.43 times (100/70) as fast as the 1070

DUS

My question concerns test parameters rather than how percentages are calculated.
Just so it's clear- Relative Performance does not reflect benchmarks that are drivers, patches & settings agnostic, right?
That is to say that excluding GPUs that were benchmarked together, there is no data from which to construe from say a 160% RP increase between a GTX 960 and a 970 (supposing tests done at significant time interval) how much of it is in merit of optimized patches, updated drivers or even different game settings (however slightly), is this correct?
In other words- do these test parameters change between differently timed benchmarks, specifically between different GPU generations, and if so how are these fluctuations calculated for?

Last edited:
Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro

DUS

If you check the "Test Setup" page, the driver version used for all compared cards as well as the CPU clocks, Windows version and applied updates, etc. are all given. Here is an example: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/RX_580_Mech_2/6.html

And how are those differences translated into raw numbers, such as the ones shown in the RP charts? The RP chart is there, with the numbers, neatly showing precise percentages, not ~10% estimations so how is it done in this regard?

Cooling Corsair A70
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Differences? The point of that setup page is to show the standard test configuration that all the compared cards were tested in. All of those cards you see in the chart were run using xxx.xx driver version and whichever mentioned update of Windows, etc. If you see a GTX 970 and a GTX 1070 in the same chart and the test setup page says they were using the same driver, well then it would seem to be a pretty direct comparison and therefore no estimation required for performance results. The only gray area I can see in this regard is if any weighting is done in the overall percentage results due to particular games favoring AMD or NVIDIA architectures. If that doesn't answer your inquiry, then I'm not really sure what is the question.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Relative Performance does not reflect benchmarks that are drivers, patches & settings agnostic, right?
Relative performance is specific to the test setup obviously, because it's based on real data, not estimates.

The relative performance values do change between rebenches, due to drivers, patches, test scene change, test duration change, non-GPU hardware changes.

Not 100% sure what exactly you are asking

DUS

@Beertintedgoggles, the RP chart compares ALL GPUs from ALL benchmarks.

Fullscreen capture 04102018 180154.bmp.jpg

If the test platform itself changes from test to test, then some numeric compensation needs to take place in order to list all of the GPUs the way they are currently listed in the RP chart. If the case was such that the site compared apples to apples and the platforms are static than it was simply a matter of listing raw FPS results and the comparison was clear. However, the case is different so the strength of the RP chart would be in the ability to quantify and compensate for the changes in testing platform.
If no such formula is in place (something in the lines of /Score = Game FPS @release date X Platform hardware multiplier X Platform OS version multiplier X GPU drivers multiplier X Game patch multiplier X Game settings multiplier) then it would seem that the Relative Performance chart is not only superfluos but downright misleading.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
platforms are static
the platform is static for all results in a given review

ability to quantify and compensate for the changes in testing platform.
What you are looking for isn't possible, not even in theory. Game performance is a function of many factors, none of which can be removed entirely.

Or are you looking for a theoretical FLOPs rating? Which doesn't represent real-life performance at all

DUS

What you are looking for isn't possible, not even in theory. Game performance is a function of many factors, none of which can be removed entirely.

I was merely looking for an explanation to what is in place already mind. It's still no way clearer to me how that baffling chart is made in the first place but I'm clear on the fact that it represents something else than what one might assume it does, and I would suggest, very very humbly, that a big fat asterisk should be added to that chart.

Cooling Corsair A70
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Oh.... the GPU Database. Sorry, I had assumed you were talking about the reviews (which I guess the database results are based on but I can see where those might be based upon different driver versions and updates). Yeah, although it's an attempt to compare multiple cards and generations; maybe not the best / most accurate chart due to those mentioned limitations.

My question concerns test parameters rather than how percentages are calculated.
Just so it's clear- Relative Performance does not reflect benchmarks that are drivers, patches & settings agnostic, right?
That is to say that excluding GPUs that were benchmarked together, there is no data from which to construe from say a 160% RP increase between a GTX 960 and a 970 (supposing tests done at significant time interval) how much of it is in merit of optimized patches, updated drivers or even different game settings (however slightly), is this correct?
In other words- do these test parameters change between differently timed benchmarks, specifically between different GPU generations, and if so how are these fluctuations calculated for?

Yes the test parameters will change ... but if ya careful, it shouldnt matter much. Lets say that in any given test the Whoopdeedoo 2000 is 20% faster than the Whoopdedoo 1800. But the review you are looking at is for the MSI Whoopdedoo 2000 Gaming X. So in the new review for the MSI card, you see:

MSI Whoopdedoo 2000 Gaming X gets a 100% score.
Reference Whoopdedoo 2000 gets a 95% score.
Reference Whoopdedoo 1800 gets a 79% score.

So from that data, we can easily note that "outta the box":

a) The reference Whoopdedoo 2000 averaged 20.3% faster (95/79) than the Whoopdedoo 1800
b) The MSI Whoopdedoo 2000 Gaming X averaged 5.3% faster (100/95) than the reference Whoopdedoo 2000

But ya don't know... how much faster is the MSI Whoopdedoo 2000 Gaming X compared to the MSI Whoopdedoo 1800 Gaming X when both are overclocked. To find that out....

The MSI Whoopdedoo 2000 Gaming X article will show, some pages later that the reference card got 60 fps, 64 fps (+6.7%) "outta the box" and 68.4 fps (+14%) manually overclocked with the overclock test game.

Now we go back to the MSI Whoopdedoo 1800 Gaming X article from 2 years ago and we see that the reference card got 70.0 fps, 75.6 fps (+8.0%) "outta the box" and 88.9 fps (+27%) manually overclocked with a different overclock test game.

We can still equate the two cards:

Reference Whoopdedoo 2000score of 95% x 1.14 = 108.3 for the MSI Gaming version manually overclocked
Reference Whoopdedoo 1800 score of 79% x 1.27 = 100.3 for the MSI Gaming version manually overclocked

Reference Whoopdedoo 2000score of 95% x 1.067 = 101.4 for the MSI Gaming version outta the box
Reference Whoopdedoo 1800 score of 79% x 1.080 = 85.3 for the MSI Gaming version outta the box

Looking at the above numbers, an upgrade would be pretty hard to justify outta the box... but the extra OC ability of th older generation mas compared to current one makes an upgrade significantly less attractive.

I hope I explained the process simply enough, the logic is sound but there's always variables. i would expect them to be significant tho.

Cooling Corsair A70
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Maybe I'm reading more into their inquiry than the OP meant but I think the point they are making is what if Whoopdedoo 2000 gained a performance increase with a driver update. Now the percentage difference does not align with the previous findings and makes that MSI Whoopdedoo 1800 Gaming X article from 2 years ago not a straight comparison anymore. How would one go about weighing which relative performance numbers to use in the comparison now? That's why I came to the conclusion that the GPU Database relative performance graphs are nice to look at but are a rather poor excuse for an actual in depth review where all the cards are an equal footing (drivers, updates, patches, etc.)

Reactions: DUS

DUS

Now we go back to the MSI Whoopdedoo 1800 Gaming X article from 2 years ago and we see that the reference card got 70.0 fps, 75.6 fps (+8.0%) "outta the box" and 88.9 fps (+27%) manually overclocked with a different overclock test game.
To state the obvious let me just say that as a simple consumer and not some hardcore gamer that follows daily GPU related news I'd gravitate towards the place that can easily show me the value for purchase, or upgrade ,and help me make the best informed choice with less of being sent to dig around in old articles. At least not until my preference is down to 2-3 options from the list, whereupon further details may be choice instructive. Plus, it saves me the ridiculous mental guess work of comparing apples to oranges to penguins and trying to put that in percentages.
That's the value of a good relative performance chart for a guy like me.

Even so, as it is latest gen benchmark results only tell me 'these cards are all within a performance range of 200% between 'em, and one additional penguin between each of them and your GPU from two gens ago and is absent from this benchmark'.
At best it's indicative, at worst- useless.

...I think the point they are making is what if Whoopdedoo 2000 gained a performance increase with a driver update. Now the percentage difference does not align with the previous findings and makes that MSI Whoopdedoo 1800 Gaming X article from 2 years ago not a straight comparison anymore.
That's it.
Excluding OC there are practically zero unknowns when GPUs are benchmarked, and done so purely on performance values. Everything can be calculated for (no build quality, no warranty, no aesthetics, no ergonomics or convenience and not even human factor parameters but rather pure, cold, raw numbers)- so no holly grail for any site that wants a claim of authority in its field.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
You want buying a GPU made easy? Okay. Buy a MSI "Gaming" or Asus "Strix". Both run cool and quiet, both are know for their build quality, both have a "no questions asked" 3 year warranty, and both look good without RGB.
your GPU from two gens ago and is absent from this benchmark'.
I don't think you have a clue as to how much work goes into a review.
To state the obvious let me just say that as a simple consumer and not some hardcore gamer that follows daily GPU related news I'd gravitate towards the place that can easily show me the value for purchase, or upgrade ,and help me make the best informed choice with less of being sent to dig around in old articles.
One of the things we have to learn in life is to take the advice given when asked. If the "hardcore gamer that follows daily GPU related news" tells you to go read, it's because there are so many subjective aspects to GPU's that they want you to figure out what matters to you.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
I dont get what people are bitching about. W1zz generally has multiple generations of GPUs in the article and they are regularly rebenched with newer drivers so that the data remains consistent. No one else reviews the same number of GPUs or rebenches the number that techpowerup does. Considering renbenching takes place periodically with new drivers. The performance delta seldom changes more than a 1-3% overall from what I have seen. Even then since some games improve and other fall back performance wise between drivers it ends up being a wash.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
To state the obvious let me just say that as a simple consumer and not some hardcore gamer that follows daily GPU related news I'd gravitate towards the place that can easily show me the value for purchase, or upgrade ,and help me make the best informed choice with less of being sent to dig around in old articles. At least not until my preference is down to 2-3 options from the list, whereupon further details may be choice instructive. Plus, it saves me the ridiculous mental guess work of comparing apples to oranges to penguins and trying to put that in percentages.
That's the value of a good relative performance chart for a guy like me.

Even so, as it is latest gen benchmark results only tell me 'these cards are all within a performance range of 200% between 'em, and one additional penguin between each of them and your GPU from two gens ago and is absent from this benchmark'.
At best it's indicative, at worst- useless.

That's it.
Excluding OC there are practically zero unknowns when GPUs are benchmarked, and done so purely on performance values. Everything can be calculated for (no build quality, no warranty, no aesthetics, no ergonomics or convenience and not even human factor parameters but rather pure, cold, raw numbers)- so no holly grail for any site that wants a claim of authority in its field.

Relative performance charts are for hierarchy of GPUs. Not for being some sort of exact science. Like you've said: indicative. And not 'at best' but just that: indicative. Each entry in the list is an indicator of its performance relative to the rest.

Apart from theoretical possible changes in performance, the reality is most cards get released and re-benched but I seriously cannot recall ONE card that has actually switched places in a GPU hierarchy chart. And if they do, we're not talking about stock vs stock but stock versus OC, which is irrelevant in this discussion altogether. Very recently, a TPU member has tested how much performance changed across a range of Nvidia drivers on Kepler. Conclusion: nearly within margin of error for most individual games and averaged across all of them, negligible.

You're making far too much of that RP chart and it was never intended to be a tool that allows you to avoid any sort of reading. If you want info, you'll need to get into it, its that simple. If you want a ballpark idea, the RP chart is there for you and does a perfect job at that. Your example of a simple consumer that wants something is an example of being a lazy consumer that wants everything handed on a silver platter. And if I'm honest, we need LESS of those people, not accommodate and encourage more of them.

TL : DR stop obsessing over it

Last edited: