• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Response to forum violations

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name His - Hers - Guest - Guest - Guest
Processor 2700X - i7 5960x - i7 990x - 930 -i7 870 - i7 870
Motherboard MSI B450 ITX - Evga X99 - X58 - x58 - P55 FTW 200's
Memory 16GB - 8G
Video Card(s) Radeon VII - GTX770 x 3
Storage SSD
Display(s) 4K
Case Antec 1200, 1200, 900, 900
Power Supply Antec 1200 watt
Software Windows 7 Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Who cares
i lost a thread before, got a infraction or warning or something i dunno, who cares. I can still read threads and reply so. why does a warning or whatever matter?

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
yes having a moderator take the time to PM you when you didnt follow the rules...that makes sense...

Or you could just look at the closed thread and see what the reason given for closure was;)

When a person is presented with warrant - whether for arrest or search & seizure - they are entitled to know what the warrant is for, what it means, and who endorsed it.

While these forums are not the police force, there are certain things that i believe all members are entitled to-

GSG unknowingly commited an offense (whether it be his poor judgement or intentionally) - he should atleast be informed why such an action was taken against him at that time - not after he tries again - unknowingly why his thread was deleted, who it was deleted by, or why it was deleted. He proceeded to try again, and was instead given an infraction, for breaking the rules twice - a rule he has not known he has broken in the first place.

once again, sure, it is his fault that he didn't read the rules properly or disregarded them as an exception to his particular case. However, he does deserve to know why an action was taken against him.

Moderators work hard to keep bad content away from this forum and protect the safety and integrity of these forums and the users that use them. However, as well as a job they are doing, I think that moderators should inform users why actions are committed against them - similairly as moderators are required to mention why infractions were given to a certain member, they should also be required to explain why actions were taken against a user on the forum.

This has been the point that the petitioner has been attempting to argue with this thread. I feel that the backlash against him is uncalled for and unneccessary. He was simply trying to petition to require moderators to inform users when actions are taken against users and explain why such a thing has happend. He has a valid point which has been supported with a personal example. such said personal example should be taken care between the moderators in question and the petitioner. HOWEVER, the petitioner in this thread is peitioning for amending or establishing new rules here - a completely valid arguement, point, and thread.

Also, GSG, i understand your frustration with this thread and the direction it is headed. However, creating multiple threads is not the way to go.

yea, that is strange, u only get that option in certain sections i guess...

can you add a poll?

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
If you thread was deleted, it violated some rule/s, so reposting is stupid. If it was a s/b/t thread that makes it even more obvious...

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
If you thread was deleted, it violated some rule/s, so reposting is stupid. If it was a s/b/t thread that makes it even more obvious...

Easy to say at the first 7:30pm, not as easy at the 2nd one. once again on a WTB thread, I was not trying to sell anything. Not that you care if your posting that this far into this derailed thread.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap

What if a user is unaware of what rule he/she violated? As in this example, he was aware of the rules, and felt that he was in full accordance in the rules. What then?

(whether he was or was not is another debate)

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
What if a user is unaware of what rule he/she violated? As in this example, he was aware of the rules, and felt that he was in full accordance in the rules. What then?

(whether he was or was not is another debate)

Honestly, then they get penalized for stupidity or laziness. If you are going to list an item for sale it is a very basic and simple task to read the rules, which are clearly stated in a sticky at the top of the section. We should not have to hold anyone's hand for this process to occur, nor should I waste my time sending a PM. If you want to know why you received a warning/infraction then it is your responsibility to contact a mod, not the other way around.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I received a warning once...I have no idea what it was for any more. I didn't get details either, just a PM that said, you violated a forum rule.....stated it was a warning. And gave me a link to the forum rules. I can understand the merit of being informed via PM about why something was removed or closed or what have you, but there are what...like 12 moderators and a few thousand posts a day. If the e-mails are not automated, that could be very time consuming.

I can personally say I have been the cause of some....fairly heated statements from Erocker and BT, but I find the mods here are really cool about stuff. They actually does take suggestions, respect people here, and will talk with you about things that happen.

If your thread is closed and the reason is not posted on the thread, just PM one of the mods and they will let you know. I would double check the rules first because 90% of the time you can just tell from reading through them.

As far as a closing a thread, that only applies to certain sections from what I gather. Buy/Sell/Trade section lets you close those because once sold out or you don't want to sell them any more, you have the option to just close it. Posts in other sections are kinda public info, so only mods can close them if they chose. That is what I gather.

Benetanegia

Honestly, then they get penalized for stupidity or laziness. If you are going to list an item for sale it is a very basic and simple task to read the rules, which are clearly stated in a sticky at the top of the section. We should not have to hold anyone's hand for this process to occur, nor should I waste my time sending a PM. If you want to know why you received a warning/infraction then it is your responsibility to contact a mod, not the other way around.

I think that everyone has that clear, even GSG, but:

1- "If you are going to list an item for sale it is a very basic and simple task to read the rules"

It is my understanding that it was a "Want to buy" thread. Rules do not specify anything about such threads. The thread should have become a "want to trade" thread, yes, but he possibly didn't realise that. It doesn't actually matter fot what this thread is for because:

2- "If you want to know why you received a warning/infraction then it is your responsibility to contact a mod, not the other way around."

He did not receive a warning/infraction. That is the point of this thread!!

According to what I read, the thread was just deleted, he had no way to know what had happened to his thread and hence he posted it again.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

1- "If you are going to list an item for sale it is a very basic and simple task to read the rules"

It is my understanding that it was a "Want to buy" thread. Rules do not specify anything about such threads. The thread should have become a "want to trade" thread, yes, but he possibly didn't realise that. It doesn't actually matter fot what this thread is for because:

2- "If you want to know why you received a warning/infraction then it is your responsibility to contact a mod, not the other way around."

According to what I read, the thread was just deleted, he had no way to know what had happened to his thread and hence he posted it again.

If it was deleted he should have just PM a mod. Not repost. Also I aint telling any mods what to do but this thread I feel should be deleted.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

To keep things clear. A warning was issued (yellow card), not an infraction. I did state in the warning that the thread was deleted for not having the appropriate pictures required along with a link to the guidelines of the B/S/T forum.

BUCK NASTY

4P Enthusiust
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-4130 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Strix @ 1503Mhz Core
Storage Corsair Force 90gb SSD/ WD Caviar Blue 750gb
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec TP750 80+
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
The ability to post in the TPU B/S/T section is a privilege. There are rules that must be followed. With the sheer volume of threads in B/S/T section, it is tedious to moderate and I feel our moderators have done a great job. There have been months(and months) of discussion on how to manage the section. If you disobey the rules in that section, your thread get's deleted. I do not feel a PM should be warranted for deleted threads in B/S/T. The rules are clearly posted and were not followed. This is a zero tolerance policy due to the many incorrect/frivolous threads in the past.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
To keep things clear. A warning was issued (yellow card), not an infraction. I did state in the warning that the thread was deleted for not having the appropriate pictures required along with a link to the guidelines of the B/S/T forum.

For the 2nd thread. not the first. Please help this die.

The ability to post in the TPU B/S/T section is a privilege. There are rules that must be followed. With the sheer volume of threads in B/S/T section, it is tedious to moderate and I feel our moderators have done a great job. There have been months(and months) of discussion on how to manage the section. If you disobey the rules in that section, your thread get's deleted. I do not feel a PM should be warranted for deleted threads in B/S/T. The rules are clearly posted and were not followed. This is a zero tolerance policy due to the many incorrect/frivolous threads in the past.

Clearish, since this is uncontrollably OT I might as well input.
If we changed the rules in For Sale For Trade to say You must include photos in WTB threads as you must for FT/FS threads (in the text of the rules) No one would have that mistake again. I don't really want to have this conversation though. It can die.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

EDIT: ^^ Nevermind.

But wasn't that the second thread? According to what GSG said in this thread, you didn't take part in the first thread.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

You can't be penalized for confusion or misunderstanding/comprehension of the rules. That should be taken in account and if you go through all the effort to penalize someone than at least make it known why or the same thing will happen again and thats just more work for you.

I can't believe his thread got closed just because he said maybe I'd trade this if someone wants it in a WTB thread. The rules states to post pictures for something your selling not something you might be trading... In all honestly my first FS thread here I made a long time ago had no pictures and I sold stuff and no one complained maybe TPU wasn't as strict about it then.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

I agree. This is TPUs way to protect its members bank accounts. If anything I feel they should drop the hammer more. This is coming from an infraction magnet.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case HAF X

Yes but it would help to make it known why to prevent the same thing from happening again. Else its just even more work and worse for the normal user.

System Name The wifes worst enemy
Processor i5-9600k
Motherboard Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4
Cooling water
Memory 16gb G.skill ripjaw DDR4 2400 4X4GB 15-15-15-35-2T
Video Card(s) Asrock 5600xt phantom gaming 6gb 14gb/s
Storage crucial M500 120GB SSD, Pny 256GB SSD, seagate 750GB, seagate 2TB HDD, WD blue 1TB 2.5" HDD
Display(s) 27 inch samsung @ 1080p but capable of much more ;)
Case Corsair AIR 540 Cube Mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA GQ1000W MODULAR
Mouse generic for now
Keyboard generic for now
Software gotta love steam, origin etc etc
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/philbrown_23/
Well I got an infraction recently that I disagreed with to! I was infracted because I posted in the thread where cuda was "enabled" for ati gpus that it would be cool blah blah blah but in there I put the word "nvidiots" I was infracted for "spamming/flaimbaiting" which I wasnt doing at all. I then responded with a pm back to the infractor, no response. imo IF I had posted a comment straight up flaimbaiting then I woulda taken my licks like a man, however I wasnt. It urked me especially because there are people who straight up are a lot more harsh than I had posted (no offense mailman, LMAO j/k) But whatever, now I know that certain people cant take certain statements and I will never say nvidiot again.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I can't believe his thread got closed just because he said maybe I'd trade this if someone wants it in a WTB thread. The rules states to post pictures for something your selling not something you might be trading... In all honestly my first FS thread here I made a long time ago had no pictures and I sold stuff and no one complained maybe TPU wasn't as strict about it then.

From the guidelines:

B/S/T Rules said:
Post a picture of the physical item you are selling/trading, along with your techPowerUp! forums account name handwritten (Not typed or printed!) on a piece of paper in the background. This is to validate that there is an item being sold and that you are the seller. -Have your pictures ready before you post your thread! No pics, don't post or your thread will be deleted.

Yes, the forum wasn't nearly as strict long ago. That has changed with member, moderator and staff involvement.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Well I got an infraction recently that I disagreed with to! I was infracted because I posted in the thread where cuda was "enabled" for ati gpus that it would be cool blah blah blah but in there I put the word "nvidiots" I was infracted for "spamming/flaimbaiting" which I wasnt doing at all. I then responded with a pm back to the infractor, no response. imo IF I had posted a comment straight up flaimbaiting then I woulda taken my licks like a man, however I wasnt. It urked me especially because there are people who straight up are a lot more harsh than I had posted (no offense mailman, LMAO j/k) But whatever, now I know that certain people cant take certain statements and I will never say nvidiot again.

I think some moderators look for the slightest reason to give an infraction. I've also noticed they can be more lenient towards some than others. I could be wrong but TBH thats how I've been feeling about it.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
From the guidelines:

"Post a picture of the physical item you are selling/trading, along with your techPowerUp! forums account name handwritten (Not typed or printed!) on a piece of paper in the background."

Yes, the forum wasn't nearly as strict long ago. That has changed with member, moderator and staff involvement.

You can totally see how selling/trading can be taken as meaning FS/FT can't you? I don't have a problem with the rule, I just did not understand it.

Edit: Also like AD the first time I traded something here was over 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.