• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Rust (Discussion)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well I own two servers now. Bought from another GSP called Nitrous. The original server is with FPS. I'm going to pull the TG guys over to the new server and play around there with changing up some things and see how it goes. If it fails then I will revert it back to standard settings. The original server I'll leave alone but the server is fairly dead now due to all the rage quitting and people getting bored. I know I can build it up again but right now I just don't have the energy. The lag issues with the FPS server is killing me and I know part of that problem is TG building all these crazy big bases. But that's just part of the issue. My server provider FPS just doesn't provide enough resources. They only provide 2GB of memory.

Now the new Nitrous GSP provides unlimited memory so that might actually help. At the end of February i will drop one of the servers.
Seriously tho.. is your server having a high player count trumping people enjoying the game?

Not really. I run a 50 pop server and though I have many player saves files...in the hundreds actually the most players online back when the server was gaining popularity was maybe 30 people at a time during peak hours. Right now though the server pop is dead. I think maybe 20 active people on the server right now all playing at different times. I haven't been promoting the server lately though. Really all Ive been concerned about is the rubber-banding so that's been taking up my time lately.

At the start the server was awesome. People were constantly helping each other out, most everyone was friendly. And that was when the pop was no more than 12 active members. Then all of a sudden the server spiked and we had 15-30 people playing during the afternoon and night 7 days a week. Thats when shit hit the fan. Many of these new people were KOS. It wasn't just the TG guys. After a week of this thats when people started leaving. Getting raided, losing everything just turns many of the casual players off.

This is a mean and nasty game and its not for everyone. I still dig the shit out of it but right now there really isn't anything for me to do except raid. And now that the server pop is low; raiding isn't even that great because most bases are empty.

I like starting over so I look forward to the new server and with any luck NO lag.

Oh and the new server is located in New York.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Well I own two servers now. Bought from another GSP called Nitrous. The original server is with FPS. I'm going to pull the TG guys over to the new server and play around there with changing up some things and see how it goes. If it fails then I will revert it back to standard settings. The original server I'll leave alone but the server is fairly dead now due to all the rage quitting and people getting bored. I know I can build it up again but right now I just don't have the energy. The lag issues with the FPS server is killing me and I know part of that problem is TG building all these crazy big bases. But that's just part of the issue. My server provider FPS just doesn't provide enough resources. They only provide 2GB of memory.

Now the new Nitrous GSP provides unlimited memory so that might actually help. At the end of February i will drop one of the servers.

Not really. I run a 50 pop server and though I have many player saves files...in the hundreds actually the most players online back when the server was gaining popularity was maybe 30 people at a time during peak hours. Right now though the server pop is dead. I think maybe 20 active people on the server right now all playing at different times. I haven't been promoting the server lately though. Really all Ive been concerned about is the rubber-banding so that's been taking up my time lately.

At the start the server was awesome. People were constantly helping each other out, most everyone was friendly. And that was when the pop was no more than 12 active members. Then all of a sudden the server spiked and we had 15-30 people playing during the afternoon and night 7 days a week. Thats when shit hit the fan. Many of these new people were KOS. It wasn't just the TG guys. After a week of this thats when people started leaving. Getting raided, losing everything just turns many of the casual players off.

This is a mean and nasty game and its not for everyone. I still dig the shit out of it but right now there really isn't anything for me to do except raid. And now that the server pop is low; raiding isn't even that great because most bases are empty.

I like starting over so I look forward to the new server and with any luck NO lag.

Oh and the new server is located in New York.

It was an awesome server when we started out, and we all had a lot of fun. However all of us but UnholyWar left(he did leave for a short while too), because we got severe rubber banding and all 5 of us were killed during that lag period which lasted a good 30 seconds by a naked man with a bow. The funny thing is it wasn't the ping issue, and living so far away from the server wasn't the culprit, your host FPS just seems awful.

I've been playing a lot of other games, and I'm starting to hate them all because I'm getting older than the majority of them, so in my free time I think I'll give your server another go and break some face.

I do agree with the issue around weapons however. It's too easy to get an m4/mp5/shotgun with all 4 attachments. Not enough game time is spent on the bow, and I think it should be laid out so players have to savor the time when they get a bow, and a pipe shotgun, and a revolver. Literally, it takes me all of 10 minutes between joining a game and then suicide running into a rad town and finding 20 ammo and a gun of some sort. That 10 minutes just made crafting cloth gear and bows/handcannons entirely pointless. I also feel the military shotgun is a useless piece of crap, but I think that's just my opinion.

I think the development had the hopes that most of the pvp would be based around airdrops, giving players a reason to slaughter each other for sick loot, but sometimes the airdrop loots is a waste of time (and bullets). The other main hope for developement was for people to get together and build towns actual god damn TOWNS. So far every server I've been on I haven't seen a single town, just a few small attempts. It seems to me like these TG guys have the right idea. Building a big fortress and hanging out together and defending their makeshift town? Good for them I say. I don't however agree with the KOS they deem suitable for all land within 15 minutes of their base, and I do not agree with shooting new players trying to start out. That's how your server becomes shit, and the reason the population will never grow.

They may need some mediation, but not banning. They're halfway to being a good presence on the server, they're just walking in the wrong direction I feel. I'm sure the example of actual civilised society today should give them half a damn clue. If they refuse to follow mediation and keep killing the newbies, ban them. It's poor showmanship. There's hundreds of servers, they can find another.

See you online.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Well I just spawned back in after a couple day break and someone blew my door off but lucky enough I logged out with all my weapons and ammo on me so they got mostly just resources. I need to farm as much as I can so I could build around my base for an added layer.

System Name Unholy Black
Processor Intel 3570K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory 16GB (8GB X2) Kingston hyper X 2400mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970
Storage 250 GB Crucial MX200,120 GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, 1TB SAMSUNG
Display(s) Asus PB278Q and Asus VE247
Case Corsair Air 540
Power Supply Cosair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i think the new server with different rules is worth a try and see how it goes and hopefully no lag for us British players so should be good i will get on the new server tonight if its up

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
i think the new server with different rules is worth a try and see how it goes and hopefully no lag for us British players so should be good i will get on the new server tonight if its up

I'm happy to go on the secondary server and leave those TG guys to do as they please on the server with performance issues.

System Name Unholy Black
Processor Intel 3570K
Cooling Corsair H80i
Case Corsair Air 540
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K95
i had 1 of my friends join the server and bring 2 friends with him so that's 5 players + whitenoise + any other TPU guys

System Name The Darkside
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4
Cooling OEM
Memory 16gb G.Skill Fortis
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 1070
Storage 500gb Mushkin Pilot NVMe
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4k UHD
Case Corsair iCue 465X RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Reltek
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Software Windows 10
I been thinking about buying this game with some of the coins I've mined over the past few weeks. Is it worth the cash to get it? I mean I always can get it then evaluate but don't want to waste the coins lol. I've looked it up on steam but it looked rather plain. But by reading some of this thread, it sounds a lil entertaining lol.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
But by reading some of this thread, it sounds a lil entertaining lol.

It's a game where it's pretty average until something crazy happens. If you buy it, expect to find yourself on this thread with some interesting stories to tell us.

System Name The Darkside
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4
Cooling OEM
Memory 16gb G.Skill Fortis
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 1070
Storage 500gb Mushkin Pilot NVMe
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4k UHD
Case Corsair iCue 465X RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Reltek
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Software Windows 10
It's a game where it's pretty average until something crazy happens. If you buy it, expect to find yourself on this thread with some interesting stories to tell us.

Most of the games I play are perty average... :p but yea, i may just do it lol Another game to add to the steam collection

System Name Unholy Black
Processor Intel 3570K
Cooling Corsair H80i
Case Corsair Air 540
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K95
I been thinking about buying this game with some of the coins I've mined over the past few weeks. Is it worth the cash to get it? I mean I always can get it then evaluate but don't want to waste the coins lol. I've looked it up on steam but it looked rather plain. But by reading some of this thread, it sounds a lil entertaining lol.

you soon get into it and the game comes more and more interesting as time goes on you allie with people start raiding, its what makes this game fun and the satisfaction of when your build your base then people try and raid it and get nothing because its a maze of doors it feels so good

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I am glad I did not shell out for this game. With all of the bugs and griefers it seems like another Minecraft in the making.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
We could all wear TPU tags in our user names, and you could kick out anyone that hostiles TPU members without good reason. That would be one remedy. Your God on the server, you can do what you want, so if they bitch about it who cares.

Theres a lot of empty bases now, the server might benefit from a clean up LOL.

I might check out your new server. Just got addicted to path of exile though lol.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
I'm not going to check out the new server just yet, but I do plan on logging back in on Amish Playground here soon, tonight after class hopefully.

I appreciate what you're doing White, but honestly after seeing the posts and such I think I'm just gonna go find another server that is just vanilla Rust (with ++ or mods like that). All this modifying and such takes away from the game IMO, and I think it is pretty balanced as is. If a whole group comes in and takes over the server...you can make it harder for them, but in the end all that's gonna do is make it take a little longer for them to dominate.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
I appreciate what you're doing White, but honestly after seeing the posts and such I think I'm just gonna go find another server that is just vanilla Rust (with ++ or mods like that). All this modifying and such takes away from the game IMO, and I think it is pretty balanced as is. If a whole group comes in and takes over the server...you can make it harder for them, but in the end all that's gonna do is make it take a little longer for them to dominate.

That's pretty much what happens with any PvP game. There's always some group with no life that will come on and dominate those who just want to play a bit after work.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
That's pretty much what happens with any PvP game. There's always some group with no life that will come on and dominate those who just want to play a bit after work.

this is ALL online games. i just want to pal around online with people who also work full time and/or have families. I can play maybe 1.5 hours every night which doesn't give me a lot of time to learn and certainly not a lot of time to defend myself in games where kids play for 8 hours in one sitting. online gaming is for children so we need adults only servers.

Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's cool Guitar.

The thing about this game that I don't like is that within a week you are at end game. and within a week and a half you have your metal base...if not sooner.

The game is just too easy. The only thing that makes it hard is the griefing on new players. Then end up just quiting but they should instead look to team up.

I love this game. But at the same time I want to try and make the game more challenging. Nothing is being removed from my server, just making certain items more rare and making some items only drop in air-drops.

I think it will be fun but atm the mods aren't working anyway except for rust++ which works fine.

Exactly...my point being is it's not gonna change if you make things rarer or harder to obtain. The group will work harder. Groups like this have no life and they pretty much do it to annoy people. I did it in DayZ as much as I could for a while because I was really bored. Then I got a real job and life lol.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Exactly...my point being is it's not gonna change if you make things rarer or harder to obtain. The group will work harder. Groups like this have no life and they pretty much do it to annoy people. I did it in DayZ as much as I could for a while because I was really bored. Then I got a real job and life lol.

That is exactly what happened with DayZ for me as well. Played it with a bunch of TPUers but then all of the good servers were getting populated by hackers and trolls who would either kill you on site or snipe you from a mile away. pretty dumb.

Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
They beat my head with a rock... I chop them with my axe..
They shoot at me... I headshot them from afar...
They C4 my door... I nuke their entire base..

We need nukes. It's the logical and natural progression of things. :D

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Software Win 10 64
It's cool Guitar.

The thing about this game that I don't like is that within a week you are at end game. and within a week and a half you have your metal base...if not sooner.

The game is just too easy. The only thing that makes it hard is the griefing on new players. Then end up just quiting but they should instead look to team up.

I love this game. But at the same time I want to try and make the game more challenging. Nothing is being removed from my server, just making certain items more rare and making some items only drop in air-drops.

I think it will be fun but atm the mods aren't working anyway except for rust++ which works fine.

Except that I'm on the Amish server and still don't have a metal base nor the pieces to research. I've only been able to make it to one airdrop without being killed, and all that one had was wooden building pieces. Hell, I can't even make explosives yet.
I logged in last night. I was the only one on the server. My nice wooden base had completely disappeared, and to my surprise, somebody put up a wooden door in my old wooden shack in the woods. I busted down their door and put up my own. Bastards.
They beat my head with a rock... I chop them with my axe..
They shoot at me... I headshot them from afar...
They C4 my door... I nuke their entire base..

We need nukes. It's the logical and natural progression of things. :D
You have to get 25 kills in a row without dying. ;)

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
Except that I'm on the Amish server and still don't have a metal base nor the pieces to research. I've only been able to make it to one airdrop without being killed, and all that one had was wooden building pieces. Hell, I can't even make explosives yet.
I logged in last night. I was the only one on the server. My nice wooden base had completely disappeared, and to my surprise, somebody put up a wooden door in my old wooden shack in the woods. I busted down their door and put up my own. Bastards.

You have to get 25 kills in a row without dying. ;)
You have to play dude. lol I never even see you on the server and your house decayed since you hadnt logged in and used it. :p

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Software Win 10 64
You have to play dude. lol I never even see you on the server and your house decayed since you hadnt logged in and used it. :p
I figured that's what happened.
Unlike other folks, I can't log in on a daily basis. I'm lucky if I get 5-10 hours a week to game nowadays.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well a house 'starts' to decay at 4 days without being used. But as soon as you open a door on the structure the timer resets. But if you do that after the 4 day mark; you'll have to repair your structure starting at the upper levels.

Just know if you ever feel like playing you are always welcome on my new server. The old one I'm canceling and hope to shut down asap. That server is just a lag fest. Right now would be a good time to go in the old server, grab all your c4 and go on a rampage! lol

I went in to the server and fucked with one of the TG buildings because I had stuff left. Apparently the walls in my house decayed and all my stuff is out in the open..but nobody has stolen it. Maybe I did have a good spot..hmm. Anyways used my 8 C4 to get into a house. Got in, found some stuff, not much really...mostly took it out of the boxes and threw it away lol. Destroyed 2 sleeping bags, put 2 metal doors in doors I destroyed and a set of wooden boxes blocking another doorway. Meh. I must say the amount of time they must have into building all that shit is impressive. Sad, but impressive.