• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire releases Crossfire XPRESS 3200 "Pure" mainboard

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Building on the success of its new generation motherboards, Sapphire Technology has just announced two new models in its Pure CrossFire series which are the first products to offer true 16x performance on both PCI-Express slots in a dual GPU system together with a host of advanced features delivering top performance and quality to enthusiasts and value to system builders.

Extreme Overclocking!
Exclusive to Sapphire, the PURE CrossFire PC-A9RD580 motherboard looks stunning with its unique design in white and its extreme overclocking and expansion features make it the most desirable board in its class. Based on the latest CrossFire Xpress 3200 chipset and SB450 Southbridge it combines support for the powerful and highly acclaimed AMD Athlon64TM, FX and dual core processors with the most complete set of performance tuning features available today.

For the first time, both of the dual PCI-Express graphics slots on this mainboard provide full 16-lane performance ensuring the highest possible performance with dual graphics cards and CrossFire modes. Supporting 2000MT/s HyperTransport interface and up to 4GB of Dual Channel DDR memory, BIOS options also allow CPU, bus and memory speeds to be adjusted over a wide range - delivering the extreme overclocking facilities demanded by enthusiasts.

An additional PCI-Express x1 plus one standard PCI slots meet the need for expansion, and a full range of onboard communications options include Marvell Gigabit LAN and Firewire as well as eight USB 2.0 ports and on-board High Definition Azalia 7.1 8-channel sound. Peak hard drive performance is assured with four SATA-I RAID and four SATA-II RAID connections as well as IDE ATA133 support.

PURE CrossFire Advantage
Based on the same exciting architecture, the new Sapphire PURE CrossFire Advantage PC-A9RD580ADV board offers system integrators the most cost effective solution to a high performance dual graphics system with any AMD Athlon64 series processor. Full Dual 16-lane PCI-Express is again supported, together with two PCI-Express x1 ports and two PCI slots. On board features include both Gbit and 10/100 LAN, 4x SATA-I plus 2x SATA-II and two ATA133 ports, eight USB 2.0 and one parallel port. With it's on board 8-channel sound and SPDIF out this board provides the most integrated and thus cost effective solution for an AMD based dual graphics system.

Software Bundle
In addition to a WHQL Driver CD, Sapphire mainboards are now shipping with a comprehensive software bundle, including Trend Micro Internet Security 2004, StompSoft PC BackUp, Stompsoft Privacy Protector and Stompsoft Trial Software (Recover LostData, Spyware X-terminator) as well as a Sapphire Select DVD, the exciting new way to deliver a choice of games to the end user. The DVD contains a selection of top applications and games from several leading software houses. The end customer can play each of the games for a one hour trial before choosing which titles to keep and using the activation codes for those titles.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Darksaber

Staff member
Software Windows 10 Home
well just wanted to mention..."Pure"...true...one old skool PCI slot *G*...well I guess that is a very nice looking mainboard...

cheers
DS

System Name Little Bear
Processor Inten 3770K @4.4Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASRock Extreme4-M
Cooling Thermalright Macho120 Rev.A
Memory 4x4GB Samsung LP DDR3 @ 1866MHz 9-9-9-28
Video Card(s) Radeon R9 290
Storage 256GB Samsung SSD 830 + 1TB SSD 840 EVO + 2.5in 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Dell U2711
Case Silverstong SG10
Audio Device(s) USB SB Omni
Power Supply Enermax Modu 82+ 620w
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Looks nice but becuase of the fact that the ONLY PCI slot is directly below the 2nd PCI-E x16 shot (blocked with a dual slot cooler) I'll never buy it.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
pretty nifty that they figured out how to get it so both cards run at x16 though benches are going to shoot through the roof.

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
You could never even get a sound card in there. Even if you went with a card that was a single slot cooler it would be to close for comfort.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I would consider buying one if it had two or three PCI slots. What a shame.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
oooohh pretty...

I want one.

D

Dynamic

Only one PCI slot and worse yet in a bad location. Anyone here not using on-board sound and has a sound blaster card is not going to be happy with two x1800/x1900 in CF on that board....

oldschool

Is Sapphire completely clueless or what?

What were they thinking - ONE PCI slot ?

This mobo wouldn't even make a good paperweight. Based on the problems Sapphire, Asus, DFI and most other mobo makers have had with the RD480 chipset boards and their inability to fix the long lists of problems with those boards, why would they expect anyone to buy an RD580 chipset Mobo?

Maybe this is just a doctored photoshop picture? Even Sapphire can't be so dumb as to make a Crossfire board with only one PCI slot - can they?

FWIW, benches won't change much if at all with X16 because none of the graphics cards come close to saturating the PCIe X8 slots. In fact if you compare the few late model ATI PCIe and AGP cards, you'll find AGP X8 isn't max'ed out either. PCIe was a sales job for future use. AGP X8 still has the ability to run a current high end Vid card as fast as it will run without limitation. You'll note that the SLI X16 boards don't run any faster than the X8 SLI boards either. SLI32 and Crossfire32 are just a sales job. That of course has not stopped fools from paying $300 for an Asus SLI32 mobo only to find it's no faster than any other SLI16 mobo costing a $100 less.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

oldschool

In a real ironic twist we find that Asus has been chosen...

...to represent ATI's launch of the RD580 chipset mobos.

From HardOCP.com :

" Editor’s note: This review serves as a bit more than just simple motherboard review, it debuts ATI’s new motherboard chipset to the public. ATI has struggled with their motherboard chipsets for the past year and they are working hard attach a fresh image to their new “CrossFire Xpress 3200” chipset, previously codenamed “RD580.” Instead of delivering their usual reference engineering sample, ATI has selected ASUS to be the company that pushes the CrossFire Xpress 3200 into the enthusiast spotlight. This will be a “hard launch,” a term that you are likely as fond of as we are, that signifies immediate retail availability. To put it succinctly, the ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe motherboard sporting its ATI CrossFire Xpress 3200 chipset look to be the real deal. No smoke, no mirrors, just a damn good motherboard that does what it is supposed to do, plus a whole lot more. "

Well not really, but the hype will sell a lot of mobos I'm sure.

From VR-Zone's review of the Asus A8R32:

"**A point to take note however, the HTT overclocking on this board via the BIOS is a little buggy. You cannot hit on the high HTT in excess of 220MHz on first boot up. You need to first boot up at below 220MHz HTT, set it to 220MHz HTT and then to 230MHz HTT, and so on. Once you turn off the system, booting up at your last saved high HTT configuration will result in no boot and a repower up produces a screen indicating that your overclock has failed. You will need to redo the steps over again. This is very irritating. Hopefully, ASUS can get this issue ironed out in future BIOSes. I suspect it has to do with the board booting up at 5x HTT multiplier at every first power up regardless of the Hyper Transport Frequency set."

Already BIOS and boot issues with the A8R32. Evidently Asus didn't learn from the A8R-MVP.

From Anandtech's fanboy tales:

"With today's launch of the new ATI Dual x16 PCIe chipset you will be able to buy motherboards on launch day from at least one manufacturer. The Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe is expected to be widely available for sale on March 1, and it represents an upgrade of the current A8R-MVP with improved performance and Deluxe features. Asus also continues their use of passive cooling on the A8R32-MVP, with no active cooling fans. "

Well no I don't believe the Asus A8R32 is "readily available" on March 1st in the U.S.

From what I read we do know:

1. Sapphire is clueless with only ONE PCI slot on the RD580 Crossfire

2. There are NO Asus A8R32 Mobos for sale in the U.S. that I have been able to find online

3. BIOS and boot issues have already been confirmed on the Asus A8R32 mobo

4. I haven't found any Sapphire RD580 or DFI RD580 mobos for sale in the U.S.

5. The RD580 based mobos show zero performance gains over the ill fated RD480 mobos based on reviews at numerous websites.

Ya really gotta wonder what is going on between ATI and Sapphire when ATI designates Asus to lead the charge of the not-ready-for-prime-time RD580 mobos??? What a strange world we live in! When will consumers be able to actually purchase a properly functioning ATI chipset mobo?

Darksaber

Staff member
Software Windows 10 Home
look at the power connectors...8 pin for CPU, and 2x 12V? for what? both graphic cards?...darn, this board is really pure...graphics only *G*

oldschool

Based on what I see and read - Clueless sums up the Sapphire folks. What a pity as they should be able to clone ATI's reference designs and deliver stellar mobos for everyone but they aren't. I like Sapphire's graphics cards which are just ATI reference designs, but Sapphire sure has a lot to learn about the mobo market.

TooFast

System Name OVERKILL
Processor INTEL I7 965@ 3.6
Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE 2
Cooling STOCK
Memory 6GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) ATI HD 5970
Storage 4X 60GB SSD RAID 0
Display(s) 30 INCH DELL
Case ANTEC 1200
Audio Device(s) XFI-PCI-E
Power Supply CORSAIR 1000WATT
Software WIN 7
Benchmark Scores netcore.24 COD4 server 76.65.250.134:28960
well i got a sound and scsi card so no go for me

oldschool

That is PRECISELY the point!

Dumber than a rock to make a mobo with only one or two PCI slots.