• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should SATA get updated specs? Example SATA 4.0 @ 36Gbps, 48Gbps or 64Gbps.

Should SATA get updated specs?

• SATA 4.0 @ 36Gbps.

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • SATA 4.0 @ 48Gbps.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • SATA 4.0 @ 64Gbps.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • SATA 4.0 @ 72+Gbps.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • I like NVMe but also want an updated SATA spec.

Votes: 37 38.1%
  • No, I'm happy with NVMe.

Votes: 36 37.1%
  • Other(Please discuss below).

Votes: 9 9.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you need a premium SATA drive? Even the most basic ones max out the SATA 3 speed. Reliability isn't a concern, either, because they're cheap.
look at the reviews, a good sata ssd can rougly match or even beat a bad nvme, but a bad sata ssd like a qvo's quite a bit slower.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
The SATA connector could be fitted with more connectors like they did with USB and still remain backward compatible. They could also expand the edge connector out with more connections. For example, see below:
View attachment 247849
This is just a quick mock-up, but something like this would preserve backward compatibility while providing for greatly expanded bandwidth potential.
Problem with that, boards would surely come with less slots to fit the wider connectors, I personally wouldnt consider that worth it, the more I think about it the more I think there is no demand for it. Unless maybe the extra part could be chosen to be used as a SATA port in itself at the legacy speed. That would give the best of both worlds.

SATA is not a bottleneck to HDD's, and SATA SSD's are bottlenecked by it, but its a high enough bottleneck that for most people they wont care. Most of the visible performance boost from NAND comes from quicker seeks. The few use cases that require actual super high sequential speeds are served by NVME.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
SATA and AHCI are such a bodge/kludge for SSDs. Yes, they work, but even the concept of NCQ is designed for rotating platters. The fact that SATA SSD controllers can use NCQ in reverse to work around some of the limitations of the SATA and AHCI protocol is a bonus, but definitely not how things should be or an efficient process!

Far better to phase out SATA SSDs and leave SATA 3.0 with its 550MB/s bandwidth per port for mechinical drives. No mechanical drive has really warranted more than SATA 2.0 to date. The 16TB enterprise drives I use in SANs and NASes are pushing 250MB/s on the outer edges of the platters. Realistically you can bifurcate a SATA 3.0 port into two drives and see zero performance penalty.

Keeping 2.5" SATA drives around as way to put an SSD into an old laptop or legacy PC has been great for the past decade and because we're talking ancient hardware that predates NVMe, there's no point developing better SATA SSDs. The SATA interface is so rarely a real-world bottleneck in these older machines that just moving the OS & applications off mechanical drives is plenty to shift the overall performance bottleneck so far away from the storage than there's no point improving it.

If mechanical drives enter the market that can comfortably exceed 550MB/s then there's always 12Gb/s SATA Express.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
if pcie ribbon extensions exist for graphics cards then one would thinks they could make a cord for an nvme interface and have 6 of them on a mobo instead of sata ports

either way I’d say yes. Sata is in need of a revision. I’d guess it’s just gonna stay a usb 3.0 type a interface forever??
The modern Thunderbolt cables would work quite well, a smaller connector and very fast speeds. The trouble is, most CPU's don't have the lanes and it requires dedicated hardware. OTOH, SATA also requires dedicated hardware...

Thunderbolt 3 with a scaling mechanism to split PCIe lanes as more drives were added could work well though.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
The modern Thunderbolt cables would work quite well, a smaller connector and very fast speeds. The trouble is, most CPU's don't have the lanes and it requires dedicated hardware. OTOH, SATA also requires dedicated hardware...

Thunderbolt 3 with a scaling mechanism to split PCIe lanes as more drives were added could work well though.
Thunderbolt is really, really expensive though, it requires very expensivecontrollers and cabling. And it's hardly suitable for internal usage anyway - there's likely too much RF noise inside of a PC for that to be reliable. Why not just use native PCIe?

Thunderbolt is really, really expensive though, it requires very expensivecontrollers and cabling. And it's hardly suitable for internal usage anyway - there's likely too much RF noise inside of a PC for that to be reliable.
I was under the impression that it used a particular type of USB-C cable, but maybe I am wrong. AFAIK the reason the microcontrollers are expensive is because it is an Intel/Apple proprietary standard, which could be changed. Dunno about RF, I would have thought a USB cable would have been more shielded than a PCIe riser or a SATA cable.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I was under the impression that it used a particular type of USB-C cable, but maybe I am wrong. AFAIK the reason the microcontrollers are expensive is because it is an Intel/Apple proprietary standard, which could be changed. Dunno about RF, I would have thought a USB cable would have been more shielded than a PCIe riser or a SATA cable.
I think the part you're missing is that Thunderbolt cables have a chip on both ends of the cable to alter the signal to something that can actually travel over a wire for some reasonable distance (unlike PCIe alone.) This is a big reason why they tend to be pretty expensive. It's also why the connector gets warm. It's also why you can get fiber optic thunderbolt cables that can be run 100 meters (and those cost a metric crap ton.) Thunderbolt is expensive all the way around.
Why not just use native PCIe?
Distance. Thunderbolt can be run further distances than PCIe alone by itself.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Probably no. But a new standard for "external" (as in not connected to slots on the motherboard) storage units like HDD's and slightly faster speeds? Sure. Maybe even USB drives, but internal.
Thunderbolt is really, really expensive though, it requires very expensivecontrollers and cabling. And it's hardly suitable for internal usage anyway - there's likely too much RF noise inside of a PC for that to be reliable. Why not just use native PCIe?

Is there noticable RF inside a computer case?

Intel has loosened the grip on Thunderbolt a bit, but that happened fairly recently. Plus the stuff above.

I think the part you're missing is that Thunderbolt cables have a chip on both ends of the cable to alter the signal to something that can actually travel over a wire for some reasonable distance (unlike PCIe alone.) This is a big reason why they tend to be pretty expensive. It's also why the connector gets warm. It's also why you can get fiber optic thunderbolt cables that can be run 100 meters (and those cost a metric crap ton.) Thunderbolt is expensive all the way around.

Probably no. But a new standard for "external" (as in not connected to slots on the motherboard) storage units like HDD's and slightly faster speeds? Sure. Maybe even USB drives, but internal.

Intel has loosened the grip on Thunderbolt a bit, but that happened fairly recently. Plus the stuff above.
Yes, I thought the PCIe was more "native" to Thunderbolt. USB4, however, will support PCIe tunneling, and the cables should be cheaper than TB. Also, the controllers will be integrated into the chipset anyways, so why not? Even if there were USB "decoders" at the far end of the line to convert to SATA or PCIe (m.2 or u.2 connector).

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
I'd rather a board come with more Nvme slots than an updated sata spec. I stopped using sata when boards starting being equipped with 3+ Nvme slots

For me it would only be appealing if the extra bandwidth came at no cost to the bandwidth of pcie which I find doubtful. Even now using x amount of nvme disables sata ports on most boards equipped with 3+.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Yes, I thought the PCIe was more "native" to Thunderbolt. USB4, however, will support PCIe tunneling, and the cables should be cheaper than TB. Also, the controllers will be integrated into the chipset anyways, so why not? Even if there were USB "decoders" at the far end of the line to convert to SATA or PCIe (m.2 or u.2 connector).
Thunderbolt requires both a controller on the motherboard and the connected device as well as the mux/demux chips on the cable. You could totally do something like that inside the PC, but I don't think that you're going to like how much the cables are going to cost, particularly if they require additional shielding from being inside a chassis. USB 4 is basically just TB3 to be honest.

ARF

The discussion came up in another thread and it seemed like it might be interesting to find out what everyone thinks about the subject.
Would you like an updated spec for the standard SATA connector?

No..

I agree with @Valantar
I see no reason for an updated SATA standard. The current spec is plenty for HDDs, and NVMe handles anything else. m.2 is vastly more practical, and there's u.2 if you need off-board mounting - which is easily adapted from any m.2 slot or PCIe slot. The lack of extra controllers is a boon for efficiency and makes for simpler chipsets and motherboards, and the inherent flexibility and scalability of PCIe is great. Thr only drawback is the increased need for PCIe controllers, but faster SATA would require that as well.

+1.

There is no need for SATA. Maybe it should be left to die off...

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yes, a particular kind with bespoke chips in each connector and very high requirements for shielding and signal integrity, as well as quite short maximum lengths.

As for the controller, TB3 is integrated into USB4, so that could theoretically be used, but you're still adding a relatively expensive high speed I/O controller just to transfer an already existing PCIe signal which could be transferred natively with a riser or u.2 cable. Why overcomplicate things by adding unnecessary hardware?
To a degree - PCIe 3.0 can be run impressive distances with just passive risers. 4.0 needs tons of shielding and very high quality cabling though. TB3 tops out at, what, 3m, though in real life more like 2m due to there being no available cables? Active/optical overcomes that, but then you're looking at cables costing several hundred dollars, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Is there noticable RF inside a computer case?
Tons. The main reason PC cases are metal is to contain the RF noise they emit to avoid it interfering with other devices. High frequency signaling through board traces or wiring gives off noise; coils and power conversion gives off noise, your CPU and GPU operating at several GHz will give off noise, etc.

D

Deleted member 24505

I like NVME but please upgrade SATA speed, is what i vote for.

I have 4x gen 4 M.2 slots on my board but still use a 2TB WD green for backups.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I have 4x gen 4 M.2 slots on my board but still use a 2TB WD green for backups.
You do realise that your 2TB WD green's sustained write speed is lower than the SATA3 bandwidth, right?
Apart from a brief period before the miniscule SLC cache runs out, the 2TB model tops out at ~430MB/s in a best-case, empty drive scenario.

I'm assuming you're talking about a 2TB WD Green SSD. If you are talking about spinning rust, even the SATAII interface at 3Gb/s is complete overkill, because the 2TB WD mechanical drive can't even saturate the original SATA1 bandwidth.

You do realise that your 2TB WD green's sustained write speed is lower than the SATA3 bandwidth, right?
You're missing the point. SSD's are limited by SATA3 speeds and there is only so much NAND you can fit on a 2280 NVMe PCB. The standard 2.5" and 3.5" form factor drives have MUCH more internal volume for NAND to be built into. The only reasonable way forward for inexpensive mass storage is to increase the SATA spec and make drives that fit into the existing 2.5/3.5" form factor. NVMe is a great answer for primary boot drives. It's a shitty answer for expanded internally mounted storage.

SATA needs updating! That updating needs to be done with the existing connector to maintain backward compatibility.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
You're missing the point. SSD's are limited by SATA3 speeds and there is only so much NAND you can fit on a 2280 NVMe PCB. the standard 2.5" and 3.5" form factor drive have MUCH more internal volume for NAND to be built into. The only reasonable way forward for inexpensive mass storage is to increase the SATA spec and make drives that fit into the existing 2.5/3.5" form factor. NVMe is a great answer for primary boot drives. It's a shitty answer for expanded internally mounted storage.

SATA needs updating! That updating need to be done with the existing connector to maintain backward compatibility.
Remote mounting is still an advantage as well

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
You're missing the point. SSD's are limited by SATA3 speeds and there is only so much NAND you can fit on a 2280 NVMe PCB. the standard 2.5" and 3.5" form factor drive have MUCH more internal volume for NAND to be built into. The only reasonable way forward for inexpensive mass storage is to increase the SATA spec and make drives that fit into the existing 2.5/3.5" form factor. NVMe is a great answer for primary boot drives. It's a shitty answer for expanded internally mounted storage.

SATA needs updating! That updating need to be done with the existing connector to maintain backward compatibility.
You can get 4TB TLC m.2-2280 NVMe drives, or 8TB with QLC (meaning that if anyone was willing to pay for it, you'd get 6TB TLC drives too). Cost is the main roadblock here, not capacity. And, conversely, nobody in the world would be able to afford a 2.5" drive stuffed to the gills with flash. (And for those who can, they already exist, with u.2 interfaces.) NVMe already does what you're proposing an updated SATA standard would do, but with more flexibility and no need for new controllers.

You can get 4TB TLC m.2-2280 NVMe drives, or 8TB with QLC (meaning that if anyone was willing to pay for it, you'd get 6TB TLC drives too). Cost is the main roadblock here, not capacity.
And beyond 8TB? That is HDD territory for now but it's not going to be long before affordable SSD's of larger capacities start hitting the market and the NVMe form factor is not going to get the job done, nor should it be expected to. We need an update to SATA bandwidth and we need it soon.

For me, it is kind of a no-brainer, since the drives (and I bet the controllers, too) are capable of being much faster than they are. I prefer to have compact, single-sided drives in a m.2 format. As manufacturers add more m.2 and drives get bigger (i.e. when 250GB isn't the smallest size :rolleyes:) I expect SATA to die. ATX 12VO may possibly have a role in killing it, because of the complexity it adds to a board to have SATA, but that's another thread entirely.

And beyond 8TB? That is HDD territory for now but it's not going to be long before affordable SSD's of larger capacities start hitting the market and the NVMe form factor is not going to get the job done, nor should it be expected to. We need an update to SATA bandwidth and we need it soon.
by that time we probably have 352-layer NAND, you should easily be able to cram like 16tb of those on an m.2 if not more

your argument is invalid.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
To a degree - PCIe 3.0 can be run impressive distances with just passive risers. 4.0 needs tons of shielding and very high quality cabling though. TB3 tops out at, what, 3m, though in real life more like 2m due to there being no available cables? Active/optical overcomes that, but then you're looking at cables costing several hundred dollars, which kind of defeats the purpose.
I actually think it's less than that for a passive TB3 cable, something like 1.3m. Those 3m cables are actually probably active. As I said, you can tell when the connector ends get warm because of the chips to handle converting the signals and whatnot on each end. Nobody wants to spend $80 on a cable, but that's what a 3m TB3 cable is likely going to cost you. Either way, it's not a great solution for an in-chassis interconnect. It's a far better solution for connecting things like docks or monitors with USB 3.1 or 3.2 hubs.

What's wrong with U.2 beyond cost again? Mind you, it's cost of the flash, not using U.2 that's the problem.

Last edited:
System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Cost of U2 is more than enough to laugh at it :laugh:

D

Deleted member 24505

Apart from a brief period before the miniscule SLC cache runs out, the 2TB model tops out at ~430MB/s in a best-case, empty drive scenario.

I'm assuming you're talking about a 2TB WD Green SSD. If you are talking about spinning rust, even the SATAII interface at 3Gb/s is complete overkill, because the 2TB WD mechanical drive can't even saturate the original SATA1 bandwidth.

I did not put it in because of the speed of it, it is just a backup device, so the speed of it matters not. I have 1x gen3 256gb for boot and 2x Gen 4 WD black SN850 for games so you really think i am bothered about a slow HDD for backup only. Possibly the only device i have the could benefit from faster SATA interface is a 2TB SATA SSD.

Some people still use big SATA HDD so they "might" benefit from a interface update, but not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.