• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

so whats with evga?

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
This is misleading. Just because something is outsource does NOT mean it is inferior. The truth is, I doubt it is exaggerating to say 99.9% of the products out there are either outsourced completely or use outsources components. For example, they may buy their blank boards from this company, their capacitors from that company, resistors here, coils there, and various ICs from different makers, then assemble them in a 3rd party assembly plant.

What matters is the initial design, and the quality assurance to ensure compliance with that design before the brand's logo is put on the outsourced case.
I think they are talking about margins, not quality. Outsourcing lowers margins.

EVGA going to AMD, that always seemed unlikely to me. XFX may have done it, but XFX did it at a time where AMD had a much more competitive market share against nVidia. The late 2000s and early 2010s was a time where ATI/AMD was probably as they ever were to nVidia in market share, and since then it's just been downward unfortunately. These days, AMD's is probably at its worst in that regard (?), so the market is seemingly far smaller, and that small market already has a handful of "premium" brands (Sapphire, Power Color, and XFX) on AMD's side vying for sales. I'm sure EVGA analyzed this and may have realized they would be competing for scraps, so to say. EVGA probably didn't have a big opportunity here, even if they wanted to.

And Intel is probably too small to be considered an option as of yet?

Or maybe EVGA just wanted out regardless.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
I think they are talking about margins, not quality. Outsourcing lowers margins.

I think Bill is right, pretty much everyone outsources. Corsair might add a few extra requirements over the standard model.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
I think Bill is right, pretty much everyone outsources. Corsair might add a few extra requirements over the standard model.
What are you on about?
Person A is talking about margins. Person B says no, that doesn't necessarily affect quality. Person C says, Person A was talking about margins, not quality. Person D says Person B is right about it not being unique.

No one is talking about the same thing. How can Bill be right about something he never typed?

You know what? I think you are right about Taiwan.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
EVGA going to AMD, that always seemed unlikely to me. XFX may have done it, but XFX did it at a time where AMD had a much more competitive market share against nVidia. The late 2000s and early 2010s was a time where ATI/AMD was probably as they ever were to nVidia in market share, and since then it's just been downward unfortunately. These days, AMD's is probably at its worst in that regard (?), so the market is seemingly far smaller, and that small market already has a handful of "premium" brands (Sapphire, Power Color, and XFX) on AMD's side vying for sales. I'm sure EVGA analyzed this and may have realized they would be competing for scraps, so to say. EVGA probably didn't have a big opportunity here, even if they wanted to.

And Intel is probably too small to be considered an option as of yet?

Or maybe EVGA just wanted out regardless.
I hear everything you are saying but As Rock are the newest AMD brand and some of the best selling cards as well. The only reason they sell that well is because they are cheaper than Gigabyte and run quieter than MSI. The price is the mitigating factor though. Obviously Asus and MSI charge you brand loyalty.

Memory 16GB DDR3
How can Bill be right about something he never typed?

Bill said:
I doubt it is exaggerating to say 99.9% of the products out there are either outsourced completely or use outsources components.

You said:
Outsourcing lowers margins.

I said:
I think Bill is right, pretty much everyone outsources.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Bill said:
I doubt it is exaggerating to say 99.9% of the products out there are either outsourced completely or use outsources components.

You said:
Outsourcing lowers margins.

I said:
I think Bill is right, pretty much everyone outsources.
What? That was your takeaway from what Bill said? Two paragraphs about quality were lost?

It's just weird man. It's a triangle of people defending what no one else was saying. You are implying that Person A and Person C are both at odds with Person B's statement, when none are talking about the same thing.

You know what? I think Bill is right too; except I think he missed the point.

Well, anyway, the takeaway is that EVGA will die because the owner wants EVGA to die.

I wonder when they will release 14th gen bios for ther Z790 boards, latest is from March. And why does their Atx3.0 PSU only comes with 3year warranty?

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
I wonder when they will release 14th gen bios for ther Z790 boards,
Probably never.

EVGA is "looking into it" and "made a request". In other words, they have no employees capable, because they all quit or were laid off, and all EVGA can do is request a solution from their crack team of off-shores subcontractors.

Kingpin said that it will probably never come to fruition. "Sorry".

If you bought the motherboard after EVGA made a statement saying that they would provide a 14th gen update, get a refund.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I would have liked to see them produce Intel Arc or AMD Radeon graphics cards. Shame they abandoned the market.

Memory 16GB DDR3
You are implying that Person A and Person C are both at odds with Person B's statement, when none are talking about the same thing.

Guess I need to learn my A, B Cs

I would have liked to see them produce Intel Arc or AMD Radeon graphics cards. Shame they abandoned the market.
They wouldn't get the same kind of volume selling AMD/Intel cards that they did selling Nvidia cards. I'm thinking the math didn't work out for jumping ship.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Heard from a PSU reviewer they are done in that market, figure I post it here rather then start a new thread

And a warranty is an obligation.
legally they must cover all warranties otherwise open themselves up to lawsuits include class action

from what i remember reading at the time of closure, they have always outsourced production to other oems more than any other big manufacturer
like 98% of all other brands that sell PC parts

may want to read up on manufacturing cost structure

Corsair has in house PSU designers & testing (as does CM) while manufacturing is outsourced.

Oof. I got EVGA power supplies with warranties ending in about 2031. And if they go bankrupt and assets are sold off to creditors then...?

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
They wouldn't get the same kind of volume selling AMD/Intel cards that they did selling Nvidia cards. I'm thinking the math didn't work out for jumping ship.
Most likely an agreement with Nvidia that they cannot sell AMD cards for several years. Nvidia had a huge market that sold most of the Nvidia cards. The issue with EVGA was the founders cards and what Nvidia would charge for a GPU. Just look at Gigabyte, Asus and MSI with their over $3000 4090s when the founders was $2700,

System Name Captain of the Republic
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Asus ROG Ryujin 360 w/ Noctua industrialPPC-2000 fans | SilverStone Air Blazer 120R X7 Case Fans
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade DDR4 2x16GB 3600C16 Hynix DJR
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4070 Ti ROG Strix
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 1TB / Kingston A2000 500GB M.2
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270U 27' 144hz 1440p & Acer 24' 60hz 1080p
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow V3 Tenkeyless
EVGA 30-series cards were pretty expensive over their competition and 30-series was when Nvidia stepped up on their Founders Edition cooler design making them pretty good and worth consideration. I still remember FTW3 cards costing as much as other top of the line cards like ROG Strix, Suprim etc, and this was rough for EVGA as it just was a smaller player globally than Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or Palit.

Margins in the end just weren't there for EVGA when you added the price Nvidia asked for the chips and the competition from Founders Edition cards + all the other AIB partner models which are bigger players and can eat the lower margins. Damn shame, my old 3090 FTW3 was awesome and very simple to disassemble and do maintenance and only had good experiences from EVGA's customer service, but in the end you don't survive with those qualities, you survive with money.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
EVGA 30-series cards were pretty expensive over their competition and 30-series was when Nvidia stepped up on their Founders Edition cooler design making them pretty good and worth consideration. I still remember FTW3 cards costing as much as other top of the line cards like ROG Strix, Suprim etc, and this was rough for EVGA as it just was a smaller player globally than Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or Palit.

Kind of surprised you did not list PNY. They are as far as I know the only US based graphics card manufacturer left that is Nvidia exclusive, and does their best to provide a quality product and hire US employees. I know they do not go as far as EVGA did on support or enthusiast gaming performance, but they are one of the best ways to go anymore if you want an Nvidia based GPU of decent quality.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Oof. I got EVGA power supplies with warranties ending in about 2031. And if they go bankrupt and assets are sold off to creditors then...?
And then you do what everyone does in those kind of bankruptcy cases. You get in line with everyone else, show proof of monetary loss and then hope for a small payout: likely pennies to the dollar if you are lucky to get any compensation at all.

This is not specific to PC component manufacturers, it pretty much applies to any company whether it be a toaster oven or a service reselling hotel room reservations.

I have some EVGA AIO coolers and a B-stock RTX 3060 card and an RTX 3056 purchased retail directly from EVGA. If EVGA goes out of business I predict I will get $0 in compensation from them.

As usual, their major creditors would get paid first: the IRS, the State of California's Franchise Tax Board, their bank, the landlord, insurance companies, the utility company, suppliers, etc. Next, the employees would likely at least get paychecks for actual work done as well as vacation pay which by law needs to be accumulated in cash.

My guess is larger corporate customers would be prioritized.

Ordinary retail customers like you and me are pretty much the last people to get anything out of some sort of settlement.

Again, this is not specific to companies selling computer parts. This is pertinent pretty much everywhere.

EVGA would say you are important yet the cold reality is that there are different levels of importance and we are not Tier 1.

Last edited:
Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating

Margins in the end just weren't there for EVGA when you added the price Nvidia asked for the chips and the competition from Founders Edition cards + all the other AIB partner models which are bigger players and can eat the lower margins. Damn shame, my old 3090 FTW3 was awesome and very simple to disassemble and do maintenance and only had good experiences from EVGA's customer service, but in the end you don't survive with those qualities, you survive with money.
Uhh do you not remember the tariffs?
Evga was easily the cheapest brand after Nvidia FE. Strix was the most expensive.
At least in USA that was the case.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
I wonder when they will release 14th gen bios for ther Z790 boards, latest is from March. And why does their Atx3.0 PSU only comes with 3year warranty?

Old post, but the answer by now (months later) is a solid never.

Most likely an agreement with Nvidia that they cannot sell AMD cards for several years. Nvidia had a huge market that sold most of the Nvidia cards. The issue with EVGA was the founders cards and what Nvidia would charge for a GPU. Just look at Gigabyte, Asus and MSI with their over $3000 4090s when the founders was $2700,

These GPUs never reached these prices. Barely the 3090's did at the peak of the crypto crisis. But I suppose you are talking CAD

Usually that is the case, yes. But in 9 out of 10 cases, you'll be hard pressed to find that warranty honored.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Old post, but the answer by now (months later) is a solid never.

These GPUs never reached these prices. Barely the 3090's did at the peak of the crypto crisis. But I suppose you are talking CAD
In Canada the 3090 was almost $4000 during the mining craze. I know people like to quote US prices but all of us do not live there. In Canada PC parts are some of the most expensive things that you can buy. Even today on a Newegg a Open box 4090 is $2500 vs a brand new 4090 for $2900. Then add another 12-13% to that.

System Name Captain of the Republic
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Asus ROG Ryujin 360 w/ Noctua industrialPPC-2000 fans | SilverStone Air Blazer 120R X7 Case Fans
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade DDR4 2x16GB 3600C16 Hynix DJR
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4070 Ti ROG Strix
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 1TB / Kingston A2000 500GB M.2
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270U 27' 144hz 1440p & Acer 24' 60hz 1080p
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow V3 Tenkeyless
Uhh do you not remember the tariffs?
Evga was easily the cheapest brand after Nvidia FE. Strix was the most expensive.
At least in USA that was the case.
Yeah i cannot recall how pricing was in the US, but here in Europe and especially in Finland, FTW3 pricing was often extremely close or the same to Strix pricing, my 3090 FTW3 was 80€ less brand new than a similar Strix & my dads old 3070Ti Game Rock costed the exact same as a FTW3. Same with the more budget-oriented XC3 cards, pricing was often matched by Asus' TUF and other "MSRP" models. Not a massive difference unlike what apparently you had in the US which explains why EVGA was big in the US but not so much in other regions, atleast in Europe.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
In Canada the 3090 was almost $4000 during the mining craze. I know people like to quote US prices but all of us do not live there. In Canada PC parts are some of the most expensive things that you can buy. Even today on a Newegg a Open box 4090 is $2500 vs a brand new 4090 for $2900. Then add another 12-13% to that.

It's that the Canadian and US dollar (what we usually refer to by dollar) aren't worth the same, and tax policies are different. It's the US that gets extra cheap electronics, though.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
It's that the Canadian and US dollar (what we usually refer to by dollar) aren't worth the same, and tax policies are different. It's the US that gets extra cheap electronics, though.
This is why it used to be great to shop on Amazon.com and Newegg.com. It was better when we had Tiger Direct, NCIX, Newegg and Canada Computers. One of the best ways to buy PC hardware is when the store is getting in new inventory. I remember getting a blower style 7950XT for $179 CAD. At that time 3GB was a serious amount of VRAM.

Memory 16GB DDR3