• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

so whats with evga?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Oof. I got EVGA power supplies with warranties ending in about 2031. And if they go bankrupt and assets are sold off to creditors then...?
There are too many variables and not enough information now.

For example, laws in different countries are different. The type of company is a factor too. For some, the owner's personal assets are separate and protected. In other types of businesses, the owner (or former owner) may be held liable for years to come.

Going out of business is the same thing as going bankrupt. And there are different types of bankruptcies - some involving restructuring, some involving merging or being bought by other companies, some involving shutting doors.

Going out of business or even declaring bankruptcy does NOT automatically mean the company is in over their head, or in debt. A company simply might decide they no longer wish to do business. Or they may see they will not be able to meet obligations down the road. They may still have more assets than they do liabilities, more than enough to pay off any creditors, taxes, etc. - once everything is liquidated.

They could have lots tied up in facilities and equipment, but not enough cash to pay the bills.

Typically warranties are considered as liabilities the must be honored - "if" possible.

If another company assumes ownership, the new company will assume responsibility of honoring any warranties.

And in a bankruptcy, the courts can mandate warranties be honored or in some other way, the consumer be compensated - at least partially.

In any case - it is too early to tell right now what will happen.

I will say, however, if in the executive offices at EVGA they see they will be closing up shop in the near future, I would think they would change their warranty clauses now - at least for in those countries with decent consumer protection laws.

I have n EVGA power supply that is known to be bad
:( That video is from 3 years ago. If your unit is still working, it is not bad.

A bad review or some failing samples does not mean every unit is "bad". Reading many of the comments for that video, many users report theirs is working fine after 3, 5 and even 7 years.

Truth be told (what a concept, huh?) electronics in general are very reliable - if not abused. Those of us who have been around for awhile surely have seen budget Dells, E-machines, Compaqs, HPs, and no-names with super cheap, poorly designed Deers, Best and no-name generic PSUs that have been chugging along for 10, 12 or even more years! Some in cases that have never ever been opened up for cleaning and are caked with carpet fuzz and all kinds of evil and scary things.

Even the best models from the most reliable brands have units that fail. We really need to be realistic here and put emotions and especially biases aside.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
That guy on the video (Aris Mpitziopoulos) IS Cybernetics
Cybenetics Labs – PSU Efficiency & Noise Level Certifications
and correctly identified the bridge rectifier as only good to 3A without a heatsink (500W implies more than 3A at 110V)

So the supply is good unless pushed to full load; I replaced the single bridge rectifier on mine with two (there is room on the board) rather than figure out a heatsink.

The single uncooled bridge rectifier may have been intentional as hot electronics tends to be more efficient.

Last edited:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Oof. I got EVGA power supplies with warranties ending in about 2031. And if they go bankrupt and assets are sold off to creditors then...?
"if" they go bankrupt, a warranty is considered an unsecured claim. EVGA is a private company with no shareholders so whatever the internal situation is there, it does not sound good. Layoffs, out of stock items, no SW updates all point to bad things. There are reddit posts about their demise but I don't know much about their overall current situation. All I know is they are done in the PSU segment.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
They are dead.
They aren't dead yet, as Bill correctly points out, but I would be cautious around them until we know more about their future plans and potential to exist (and especially regarding expecting any "10+ year warranties" to stick).

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
:( That video is from 3 years ago. If your unit is still working, it is not bad.

A bad review or some failing samples does not mean every unit is "bad". Reading many of the comments for that video, many users report theirs is working fine after 3, 5 and even 7 years.

3 years for a power supply is an abysmal run if it's already dead or dying by that mark. But there's no defense of these products brother. They're just not something EVGA should have ever sold IMO. With a 30°C temperature rating, such low conversion efficiency, outdated and inefficient topology, next to no protection features, and unreliable configuration, these power supplies practically exemplify the problem with selling trash under a reputable brand.

That guy on the video (Aris Mpitziopoulos) IS Cybernetics
Cybenetics Labs – PSU Efficiency & Noise Level Certifications
and correctly identified the bridge rectifier as only good to 3A without a heatsink (500W implies more than 3A at 110V)

So the supply is good unless pushed to full load; I replaced the bridge rectifier on mine with two (there is room on the board) rather than figure out a heatsink.

The single uncooled bridge rectfier may have been intentional as hot electronics tends to be more efficient.

He was also TPU's own specialized reviewer, also worked with Tom's Hardware and other reputable publications. I said on the other thread and repeat it here, I take what Aris says about PSUs as law

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
He was also TPU's own specialized reviewer, also worked with Tom's Hardware and other reputable publications. I said on the other thread and repeat it here, I take what Aris says about PSUs as law

I think he was also active on JonnyGuru when it was still around.

Case fancier than yours
I think he was also active on JonnyGuru when it was still around.
He was active on the forums there as were a number of other PSU reviewers on other sites. Shame it went away as a "lot" of knowledge went away with that forum.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
3 years for a power supply is an abysmal run if it's already dead or dying by that mark.
Gee whiz, dude. You really have it in for EVGA, don't you? You are so biased, you've blinded yourself to what others actually say and then deceptively :( conclude they said something else. That is really sad.

NO WHERE did I say or imply 3 years is good so stop twisting other's words around in your pathetic attempt to make your biased position look correct.
Even your own words there don't support your own biased position. Of course "IF" it is already dead or dying at 3 years, that supply is bad. But that is not what I said, is it?

You even quoted me. Did you read it? I said, "If your unit is still working, it is not bad." I didn't say it was a good supply. I said it is "not bad".

FTR, I am and always have been a strong proponent for using quality supplies from reputable makers in our computers - repeatedly using the analogy of cheap fuel in a new Porsche to illustrate, or how everything inside the case depends on good, clean stable power.

But that in no way means a low-quality, entry-level, cheap supply is incapable of supporting a computer's power needs adequately, for years and years - history and the facts have shown us over and over again, they often can and do, much to our chagrin.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Gee whiz, dude. You really have it in for EVGA, don't you? You are so biased, you've blinded yourself to what others actually say and then deceptively :( conclude they said something else. That is really sad.

You're exaggerating, man. Maybe my wording wasn't as concise as it should have been but, I'm just saying that 3 years isn't good, it's not even the bare minimum for a PSU's life expectancy. It has nothing to do with EVGA...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You're exaggerating, man.
Not even. There are two running threads on EVGA PSUs where you have done little more than criticize EVERTHING EVGA does, from PSUs to graphics cards to motherboards, to support - pages and pages of your repeating criticisms. We get it, dude.
I'm just saying that 3 years isn't good.
And no one said it was. Yet the truth is, while there have been units that died prematurely, most are still working - as noted by several other posters in these threads who reported getting 5 and 7 years service, and more.
It has nothing to do with EVGA...
LOL - yeah right. You just specifically said "EVGA" when you said,
But there's no defense of these products brother. They're just not something EVGA should have ever sold
But, hey! No exaggeration, right? :rolleyes:

Time to move on.

Not even. There are two running threads on EVGA PSUs where you have done little more than criticize EVERTHING EVGA does, from PSUs to graphics cards to motherboards, to support - pages and pages of your repeating criticisms. We get it, dude.

And no one said it was. Yet the truth is, while there have been units that died prematurely, most are still working - as noted by several other posters in these threads who reported getting 5 and 7 years service, and more.

LOL - yeah right. You just specifically said "EVGA" when you said,

But, hey! No exaggeration, right? :rolleyes:

Time to move on.

Well, have they done anything praiseworthy of late? I'm not sure they have. What I meant is that 3 years is below minimum expectation for a PSU's lifetime regardless of brand, and that EVGA shouldn't have relabeled these and sold such garbage under their otherwise reputable brand. Right now, EVGA's just a name we have fond memories of. Which is a damn shame.

Case fancier than yours
What I meant is that 3 years is below minimum expectation for a PSU's lifetime regardless of brand, and that EVGA shouldn't have relabeled these and sold such garbage under their otherwise reputable brand.
Corsair and Seasonic have done the same as have other brands. In fact EVGA has released 1yr warranty PSU in the past. It's a business decision to reach specific market segments who either A) can't afford what we consider "quality' PSU or B) won't spend the money on higher quality units to begin with.

In the end if you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't hold it against these brands to sell as many products as they can at various price points, in fact it actually helps keep costs down for the better stuff. Not sure the whole point of the back and worth about it.