• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Solar System

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
A few of you probably have this site in your favourites, but a news article today made me think about the distance the Voyager probes were.

Voyager.png

Space Lynx

Astronaut

plot twist, remember when NASA nudged an asteroid recently to see if it could be done, that asteroid hit another one it would have never hit otherwise, and then that one hit one, and then that one hits this one, changing the 140,000 mile calculation to more like direct impact. lmao

jk i know the odds of that are near impossible, but i just thought it was funny to think about

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

plot twist, remember when NASA nudged an asteroid recently to see if it could be done, that asteroid hit another one it would have never hit otherwise, and then that one hit one, and then that one hits this one, changing the 140,000 mile calculation to more like direct impact. lmao

jk i know the odds of that are near impossible, but i just thought it was funny to think about
Fun fact, I was actually part of the educational arm of that project. They reached out to me and a few other modders (we were a team of I want to say like 6 people or so) to make a KSP mod to simulate the mission for the purposes of teaching children, which we did. It didn't get much coverage vs the real event of course, but I'm still proud:

My contribution to the project was primarily the adapting of the orbital math for KSP's simplified view of physics (it isn't a n-body game sadly, so I had to develop/adapt a collision framework and scenario that was reasonably close using 2-body formula and I think I did an alright job).

I still maintain this framework externally, though it's used more for introducing entire third party solar systems to the game now rather than DART-style missions:

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Fun fact, I was actually part of the educational arm of that project. They reached out to me and a few other modders (we were a team of I want to say like 6 people or so) to make a KSP mod to simulate the mission for the purposes of teaching children, which we did. It didn't get much coverage vs the real event of course, but I'm still proud:

My contribution to the project was primarily the adapting of the orbital math for KSP's simplified view of physics (it isn't a n-body game sadly, so I had to develop/adapt a collision framework and scenario that was reasonably close using 2-body formula and I think I did an alright job).

I still maintain this framework externally, though it's used more for introducing entire third party solar systems to the game now rather than DART-style missions:

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing and doing that.