• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Solved] Fans spinning a bit at startup but never after.

kingduckling

Got an rx 580 xfx, pulling it out for maintenance, open it blow dust out, clean paste application.
Place it back in, fans spin a bit at the start then stop.
PSU is a evga 750G+ supernova @1.5 years old.
Tried both bioses, both were flashed successfully when i got the card from a miner.
reinstalled drivers, removed msi afterbuners, installed a ancient gt 640 (fans worked).

Any suggestions?

[Solved]
one of the fan controller pins was slightly pulled out, pushed it back in gently, everything is working.

Last edited:
System Name RyZEN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B650E AORUS ELITE X AX ICE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5 6000MHz CL30
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage 2 x Samsung 970Evo+ (500GB + 2TB) & SATA 850 Pro 1TB
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q IPS G-Sync 165Hz
Case Phanteks P600S White + 3 x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax
Audio Device(s) Edifier r1280t @ ALC1220-VB / HiFiMan HE400se @ FiiO New K3
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000W Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 Silver
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/25161355
if the gpu has fan stop feature, then the fans wont spin until the gpu temperature gets high enough.
i just built a pc for a friend with sapphire rx580, and the fans wont start until gpu reaches 60c

there's an option in amd software that keeps the fans running constantly too somewhere.

kingduckling

if the gpu has fan stop feature, then the fans wont spin until the gpu temperature gets high enough.
i just built a pc for a friend with sapphire rx580, and the fans wont start until gpu reaches 60c

there's an option in amd software that keeps the fans running constantly too somewhere.
Only its not that, ive tried disabling it from radeon. Also just reinstalled windows as well, like 10 minutes ago. In Radeon RPM says its running at 694123 RPM, that was the same before as well, clocks are also now stuck at 300 mhz and fans are still not spinning.
1591290290573.png

This is how the rpm looks like, zero rpm seems like it cant be disabled it just goes back to enabled, advanced control doesnt respond either when trying to set a fan curve.

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
See this thread to learn how to restore the original BIOS.

Uninstall all display drivers and then perform a cleanup with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from safe mode.

Take the PC outside, open the case, and remove all the dust with air blower or hair dryer with a cold setting.

Remove the graphics card and blow some air in the x16 PCI express slot.

Carefully remove the heatsink from the graphics card and clean the fans with a toothbrush.

Clean the graphic cards with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs. Especially the GPU area and PCIe pins.

Unplug the 4-pin VGA fan power cable, clean the pins and replug it.

When you're done, reapply thermal paste on the GPU, remount the heatsink, plug it back in.

Download and install the latest drivers from AMD's website.

If the fans still misbehave, they're either defective or the fan controller is. In this case, just return the card.

If you can't return the card, you can use an alternative like this cable, you even try to mod one yourself if you have a dead case fan laying around (plug wires: red to red, black to black).

If the fans get too loud without a controller, consider buying a 3rd party VGA cooler like Arctic Accelero Xtreme.

Last edited:

kingduckling

Went to sleep to avoid making further mistakes.
[Solved]
one of the fan controller pins was slightly pulled out, pushed it back in gently, everything is working.

Thank you for the input!

Brasqo

I created this account just to post this, as it was a giant headache for me and hope it saves someone a headache.

Symptom:
Fans would spin a little when you start pc, but then stop, and may or not turn on when GPU temp increases.

Fix for me :
Disabling the "zero RPM" feature within the radeon Adrenalin software, and adjusting the fan profile did the trick for me. The video link above gives you the basic concept and where to find the "zero rpm" option. Hope this helps someone as I was having the same issue on a powercolor 6800xt red dragon... I'm sure it applies to other radeon products.