• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[SOLVED] Frametime spikes/Stutters/FPS drops in all games.

D

Deleted member 193596

well then.. i would just rebuild my pc from scratch to be honest.
trying many little tweaks and possible solutions is more painful.

flashing the bios again, reseat CPU, RAM, all PSU cables, blank windows installation, no xmp or overclocks and try it again.

n0to420

If youre willing to give me all the rights with teamviewer I can take a look. I have fixed many of these problems before if you search my messages.

wanna take a shot at my setup? Having same issues as OP for months now .. tried everything

Momar97

Hello,

I am experiencing stuttering / frame time spikes in every game I play. I have spent days trying to diagnose what could be causing them but to no success. This same problem was happening on my old PC that I fully upgraded 2 weeks ago and the issue is still occurring. PLEASE if you have any input/suggestions let me know because I am losing my mind over this issue.
MY SPECS:
  • -i7 9700k (not OC)
  • -EVGA Geforce RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid (not OC)
  • -Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
  • -ASUS Prime Z390-A
  • -Corsair RMX 750x WATT PSU
  • -Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD
  • -6TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD-1TB WD BLUE 7200RPM HDD-TP Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe Wifi Adapter
  • -Primary Monitor: ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165hz Gsync)
  • -Secondary Monitor: ASUS VG248QG (1080p, 165hz, Gsync)
MY SITUATION:

In every game I play there are frame time spikes which cause my fps to drop slightly. These spikes + small fps drops result in a very noticeable stutter. I cap my fps at 162 because that is what the Blur Buster G SYNC Guide Recommends: (https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/) ------ In my case, since I have a 165hz monitor, I set my fps cap at 162 (3fps below displays maximum refresh rate) and I also Enabled V Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel and Disabled it in games. I use Rivatuner to cap the fps. During games my framerate will be at 162 yet randomly will drop very slightly to sometimes 161, 160, 159 fps, etc and the stutter is very noticeable. I noticed that these frame stutters happen more often for example when I am moving around the map in CSGO rather than just standing still. My rig is very capable so these frame drops in CSGO make zero sense. These frame time spikes occur in both online/offline games.

Here is an example of what I'm experiencing: This is a 5 minute play session of CSGO. As I said, the frame rate only drops about 1-5 frames yet the stutter is very noticeable. Notice how the frame rate drops are in sync with the frame-time spikes. (You might have to zoom in to see the small dips in frames)
View attachment 159371
HERES ACTUAL GAME FOOTAGE:
------ This footage does not capture the actual stutters as I see them, maybe this is something related to my issue?

This issue was happening to me before I upgraded my PC 2 weeks ago, and for some bizarre reason is still occurring. I swapped every single component CPU, GPU, MOBO, SSD, PSU). The only part I did not change is my Wifi Adapter but I wanted to make sure so I removed it from PC, played games in offline mode, and stutters still occur so cant be the issue.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
  • SWAPPED EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT IN MY PC (GPU, CPU, MOBO)
  • Reinstalled Windows Multiple Times (Even on New SSD)Reinstalled GPU drivers (Used DDU for clean install without Geforce Experience)
  • -Updated Bios/ MOBO Drivers (Audio/LAN/Chipset)
  • -Disabled All In-Game Overlays
  • -XMP On/Off - No difference
  • -Closed all unessessary background processes
  • -Turned on High Performance Power Plan in Windows
  • -Turned on Prefer max performance in NVCP
  • -Messed with every combination of Enabling/Disabling Gsync and Vsync - stutter still occurs in any configuration
  • -Tried capping fps at lower values (144, 120, 60) - stutter still occurs
  • -Disabled HPET
  • -Disabled C States
  • -Disabled Speed Step/ Disabled Speed Shift
  • -Created an Empty Standby List Task that runs every 5 mins
  • -Tested on Other 165hz monitor - no difference
  • -Used different Display port - no diff
  • -Turned game settings all low - no effect
  • -Play games in Offline mode - no effect
  • -Ran Memtest86 - no errors found
  • -Disabled Game DVR
  • -Plugged PC into different wall outlet in case this is somehow a power issue. Had no effect.

NOTES:
  • Temperatures are all normal
  • I have bench marked GPU, CPU and both are performing normally
  • No overclocks
  • I have searched countless other forums about this issue, none had a fix
  • There has got to be some underlying cause for this, it can't just be a random occurrence. So PLEASE, if you have ANY and I mean ANY sort of advice, guidance, etc please let me know.
Thanks
I just wanna say that I'm happy and sad on the same time, cuz I thought i'm the only one who's having this issue even though I looked a lot around the internet. My issue is kinda the same any game I play whenver the fps goes up or down I get this micro spike stutter. For example, if my fps is 144 and it changes to 143 or 145 like one percent different I will get the micro stutter for no reasone. Also, I litearlly tried to do everything, but nothing worked or fixed the issue.

This is my specs:
Intel Core i7-10700
Gigabyte B460 AORUS PRO AC
Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 1TB SSD
TEAMGROUP-UD4-3000 2x8GB RAM

LapizTheRelic

I just wanna say that I'm happy and sad on the same time, cuz I thought i'm the only one who's having this issue even though I looked a lot around the internet. My issue is kinda the same any game I play whenver the fps goes up or down I get this micro spike stutter. For example, if my fps is 144 and it changes to 143 or 145 like one percent different I will get the micro stutter for no reasone. Also, I litearlly tried to do everything, but nothing worked or fixed the issue.

This is my specs:
Intel Core i7-10700
Gigabyte B460 AORUS PRO AC
Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 1TB SSD
TEAMGROUP-UD4-3000 2x8GB RAM
Have you had any luck this has recently starting to happen to my pc and I have tried everything

kryztripleb

Have you had any luck this has recently starting to happen to my pc and I have tried everything

I've tried everything. No idea what is going on but im sure its something in my house that's causing interference with something.

I've ran so many tests. I thought my PC was screwing up so I went and bought a new one (planned to buy and test then return) , and guess what? Same stutter/freezing on BRAND new PC

So I thought it must be my internet right? Nothing looks wrong with my internet, Fibre 600 upload/Download but still. I go and change providers to a brand new internet for 2 days (test and return), guess what? Same stutter.

Can't be the PC, can't be the Internet? Must be the electricity...right?

I went and bought a UPS, plugged in everything so it runs off battery and nothing to due with the electricity in the house, guess what. Same stutter... so it can't be the electricity outlet..

It's super frustrating. Im in a group where like 60 ppl have this problem and are trying to track down whats going on..

I ordered a furman power conditioner and it will be here on Friday so i'll let you know. But apparently it works but the problem comes back... but theres ways to make it better atleast and not stutter so bad.

We are guessing it has to do with the noise levels . I have no idea. I just don't want to be stuck with this forever.

If your PC has this problem you might be noticing ur monitor clarity gone to shit.. like it will show 200 FPS but it looks like 30. If thats happening and ur stuttering then most likely its the same problem we have. The interference with the power or whatever it does makes it look like shit sometimes.. It comes and goes for me...

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
YES I DID FIX THE STUTTERING !!!FINALLY!! I feel terrible for not updating this thread, my apologies. What I did that removed all stuttering was a combination of things so bare with me here: a fresh install of windows, unplugged the USB 3.0 cable from my motherboard, set my XMP profile to on and chose the "XMP 2" option in ASUS bios, changed my fps limit on my 165hz monitor from 162 to 163 in Nvidia control panel under "Max Framerate" (this seemed to be a more stable limit for some bizarre reason), completely uninstalled MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner as these introduced stuttering for me, Turned ON GPU Scheduling in Windows settings, turned on high performance power mode, turned off xbox game mode/dvr, and I also disabled all background apps in settings. The difference is night and day. Been dealing with stuttering for 4 months on my new 2k dollar pc and I can FINALLY enjoy it! There is literally 0 stutter now. PLEASE, if my situation is similar to yours, try out these steps. I suggest trying some of the less extreme stuff first (setting fps limit to 163, turning on XMP 2) before going ahead with a fresh windows install. The smaller things might actually be the issue. Please lmk if they helped you!

You may want to request a moderator's help in order to add "Solved" to the OP's title, as well as this post to the OP, so that people finding this topic can know right away what fixed it.

Acaelus

I'm about to scream. I have tested every component in the pc by swapping it out. I now have a brand new pc down to the boot drive and Windows install. I wiped my old pc and set it up using my wife's Microsoft account... no issue on the old pc.

I don't get it. How on earth is it my Microsoft account!? That is literally the only thing on my new pc that is the same as the old one.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

depatere

I found this thread after being very sad and desperate for a solution.

I just configured a whole new PC including a 5950X and Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz, fresh install of Windows on a 2TB NVME drive.
I only kept my AX860 Corsair PSU.

I too capped my FPS to 141 on my Gsync monitor - when it's working, it's buttery smooth, but when I'm walking around looking around, I too get weird framespikes. Sometimes the FPS is not even dropping ( as far as I can see ) - other times it dips to 130 or something and the microsecond it hangs, really destroys the experience for me.

I'm really unhappy with investing alot of money in this and not getting the correct performance out of it...

Josapswanzi

I found this thread after being very sad and desperate for a solution.

I just configured a whole new PC including a 5950X and Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz, fresh install of Windows on a 2TB NVME drive.
I only kept my AX860 Corsair PSU.

I too capped my FPS to 141 on my Gsync monitor - when it's working, it's buttery smooth, but when I'm walking around looking around, I too get weird framespikes. Sometimes the FPS is not even dropping ( as far as I can see ) - other times it dips to 130 or something and the microsecond it hangs, really destroys the experience for me.

I'm really unhappy with investing alot of money in this and not getting the correct performance out of it...

Same. It almost feels like its breaking all the game engines when i walk and pan the mouse slow. Playing high dpi, low in game sense has helped a little bit. I hate pc so much. Does your problem resolve by using a controller.

LapizTheRelic

I've tried everything. No idea what is going on but im sure its something in my house that's causing interference with something.

I've ran so many tests. I thought my PC was screwing up so I went and bought a new one (planned to buy and test then return) , and guess what? Same stutter/freezing on BRAND new PC

So I thought it must be my internet right? Nothing looks wrong with my internet, Fibre 600 upload/Download but still. I go and change providers to a brand new internet for 2 days (test and return), guess what? Same stutter.

Can't be the PC, can't be the Internet? Must be the electricity...right?

I went and bought a UPS, plugged in everything so it runs off battery and nothing to due with the electricity in the house, guess what. Same stutter... so it can't be the electricity outlet..

It's super frustrating. Im in a group where like 60 ppl have this problem and are trying to track down whats going on..

I ordered a furman power conditioner and it will be here on Friday so i'll let you know. But apparently it works but the problem comes back... but theres ways to make it better atleast and not stutter so bad.

We are guessing it has to do with the noise levels . I have no idea. I just don't want to be stuck with this forever.

If your PC has this problem you might be noticing ur monitor clarity gone to shit.. like it will show 200 FPS but it looks like 30. If thats happening and ur stuttering then most likely its the same problem we have. The interference with the power or whatever it does makes it look like shit sometimes.. It comes and goes for me...
I have not found the solution yet I have tried countless things and replaced the gpu and psu still nothing I would also like to join the group of people you mentioned is it a discord if so can you send me a join link?

Acaelus

I have not found the solution yet I have tried countless things and replaced the gpu and psu still nothing I would also like to join the group of people you mentioned is it a discord if so can you send me a join link?
Try removing your Microsoft account from the pc and create a new one. Don't login to anything Microsoft with your current account. That fixed the issue for me.

Username1235

My pc has had this problem since the day I got it. Same as op my fps drops only by 1-5 fps and causes a micro stutter. My can can get 200-400 fps in some games still gets stutters on any frame cap limit. 60 fps I drop about 2 fps,144 fps i drop about 3-4 fps, 165 fps i drop about 5-7 fps. And every little frame drop be it 3 fps causes a noticeable stutter. Please keep this thread going as it's still not clear what the actual problem is. Would a ups help?

aerohorn

I have same problem with stutters after upgrade my pc and reinstalling windows. Looks like nvidia drivers or other drivers or even windows conflicts with each other. Trying all proposed options and fixes. Nothing works.

My pc has had this problem since the day I got it. Same as op my fps drops only by 1-5 fps and causes a micro stutter. My can can get 200-400 fps in some games still gets stutters on any frame cap limit. 60 fps I drop about 2 fps,144 fps i drop about 3-4 fps, 165 fps i drop about 5-7 fps. And every little frame drop be it 3 fps causes a noticeable stutter. Please keep this thread going as it's still not clear what the actual problem is. Would a ups help?

Sounds exactly like what I'm seeing in Destiny 2 since Beyond Light was released (latest DLC), 1-5fps drop and it stutters each time. Regardless of what framerate I cap at. These 1-5fps drops are actually 0.1 and 1% frametime spikes that the framerate counter does not show.

andi0139

Same here, stutter in all games with rtx 3090, ryzen 5800x, already swapped from 9900k to 5800x, swapped ssd, swapped rtx 3090, new windows installed, same stutter. PSU Rog Thor 1200w.

Heres a video of my stutter. it starts at 1:10, 4 stutters after another, goes like this all few minutes. Drivers all up to date. wtf could be wrong here

Phazy23

Really glad to have found this thread since I have very similar issues over several PC builds for over 2 years now. I am an avid VR player so micro stutters like these really take the fun out of virtual reality and its immersion. I have basically replaced every component in my beast PC (some several times) and yet nothing is helping. I did try taking my rig to a friends house and plugging it in there to see if it's some sort of power issue in our house. While it does run noticeably better on a different power outlet there's still stutters and what feels like "repeating frames" while in VR. I do get the same stutter issue with desktop pc games as well but I don't notice it as much there. The Steam VR performance graph shows sharp CPU and GPU frame time spikes in an ever repeating pattern. When stuff gets heavy the whole graph turns red/orange and I will keep dropping frames until it catches up after a bunch of seconds. I am still losing my mind about this...

Intel Core i7-10700K
32Gig of Ram @ 3200MHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB NVMe M.2 for Windows 10
Corsair RM1000x PSU
1440p Monitor @ 144Hz

GaucovyAero

Really glad to have found this thread since I have very similar issues over several PC builds for over 2 years now. I am an avid VR player so micro stutters like these really take the fun out of virtual reality and its immersion. I have basically replaced every component in my beast PC (some several times) and yet nothing is helping. I did try taking my rig to a friends house and plugging it in there to see if it's some sort of power issue in our house. While it does run noticeably better on a different power outlet there's still stutters and what feels like "repeating frames" while in VR. I do get the same stutter issue with desktop pc games as well but I don't notice it as much there. The Steam VR performance graph shows sharp CPU and GPU frame time spikes in an ever repeating pattern. When stuff gets heavy the whole graph turns red/orange and I will keep dropping frames until it catches up after a bunch of seconds. I am still losing my mind about this...

Intel Core i7-10700K
32Gig of Ram @ 3200MHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB NVMe M.2 for Windows 10
Corsair RM1000x PSU
1440p Monitor @ 144Hz
Have you tried everything mentioned in this thread? Mainly disconnecting the USB 3.0 front panel cable from your motherboard? That seems to help.

Can anyone relate with this?

Unigine Heaven running in fullscreen mode.

- Refresh rate : 144hz (Monitor Acer xb271hu)
- Vsync : Forced off in the Nvidia control panel
- Gsync : Fullscreen mode

The issue : In a couple of the scene transitions in Unigine Heaven, when the framerate changes suddenly from around 80fps to 240fps and the framerate jumps up way past the refresh rate, the screen will freeze (hiccup) for half a second. Yes it happens when the framerate suddenly shoots upwards, not downwards. I can't work out why this is happening.

I have repeated this many times and it seems to occur over and over, yet I Clean installed Windows 10 20h2 on a SSD (this issue isn't specific to v20h2). I ensured no apps running in the background. Gpu/cpu/hd/ram usage low and sitting idle. Tested at least 5 different Nvidia drivers.

I have changed the ram/changed the SSD/changed the graphics card (2080ti), set Unigine heaven to prefer maximum performance in NVCP. I have a feeling either my Gsync monitor/Ryzen 3700x cpu is playing a role in this issue.

And like many of you, when Gsync is enabled I also have an issue in many games, when the framerate drops slightly it causes a half a second stutter, and I have to cap the framerate so it doesn't drop so much.

Last edited:

Phazy23

Have you tried everything mentioned in this thread? Mainly disconnecting the USB 3.0 front panel cable from your motherboard? That seems to help.
I tried most of the things suggested here, yeah! Just yesterday I disconnected my USB 3.0 front panel cable from the motherboard and it didn't fix anything as expected.

System Name PIA
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory 2x8GB Gskill DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super
Storage Samsung EVO 970 1TB
Display(s) 2xAOC Curved 24" 144hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L
Power Supply CORSAIR RMX (White) RM750x
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
Software Windows 10 Pro
I tried most of the things suggested here, yeah! Just yesterday I disconnected my USB 3.0 front panel cable from the motherboard and it didn't fix anything as expected.
I also tried disconnecting USB 3.0 front panel and HD audio front panel connectors after trying many other things, and I am still experiencing issues.

andrijaGTI

If youre willing to give me all the rights with teamviewer I can take a look. I have fixed many of these problems before if you search my messages.
If you will help me let's do it, I also have this problem.
Tried all of those tips on youtube and steam about decreasing that lagging and stuttering, but it didn't help me with stuttering, just increased my fps a little
On every 1 or 2 seconds it goes from 110 to 30 fps in a millisecond and back
I have done: formating windows
updating ALL drivers
reinstalling steam and CSGO 3 times
all those priority things for games only
boost programs (timer resolution, process lasso, park control)
It's so annoying because in csgo (it's also in pubg lite, but smaller problem) I feel like I don't have hands, when enemy turns up frame drops and I can't even hit them

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
He's no longer a member as all assistance is to be rendered via the forum publicly.
But if you think he's not a scammer I have a bridge for sale. :p

System Name PIA
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory 2x8GB Gskill DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super
Storage Samsung EVO 970 1TB
Display(s) 2xAOC Curved 24" 144hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L
Power Supply CORSAIR RMX (White) RM750x
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
Software Windows 10 Pro
Tried all of those tips on youtube and steam about decreasing that lagging and stuttering, but it didn't help me with stuttering, just increased my fps a little
On every 1 or 2 seconds it goes from 110 to 30 fps in a millisecond and back
I have done: formating windows
updating ALL drivers
reinstalling steam and CSGO 3 times
all those priority things for games only
boost programs (timer resolution, process lasso, park control)
It's so annoying because in csgo (it's also in pubg lite, but smaller problem) I feel like I don't have hands, when enemy turns up frame drops and I can't even hit them
I'm starting to wonder if this is a CS:GO issue due to an update by Valve or a graphics driver change related to the Source engine. Do you play Valorant by chance? Try installing it (F2P game, and you might like it) and see if you experience the same frame drops/lag spikes. I do not. Nor do I experience the drops/stutters in numerous other games.

I have been experiencing a similar issue and so has another friend of mine. I only experience the lag spikes in CSGO. I've tried an insanely long list of tweaks, 'fixes', reformats, and reinstalls and the problem still remains. I've basically given up and accepted the occasional stutter/lag spike. I feel as if I've read every thread on the internet about it at this point, and it isn't an uncommon issue. I simply can't be bothered anymore trying to root out the cause and I hope it just goes away... But for now it is playable.

Good luck.

Asuna

I'm starting to wonder if this is a CS:GO issue due to an update by Valve or a graphics driver change related to the Source engine. Do you play Valorant by chance? Try installing it (F2P game, and you might like it) and see if you experience the same frame drops/lag spikes. I do not. Nor do I experience the drops/stutters in numerous other games.

I have been experiencing a similar issue and so has another friend of mine. I only experience the lag spikes in CSGO. I've tried an insanely long list of tweaks, 'fixes', reformats, and reinstalls and the problem still remains. I've basically given up and accepted the occasional stutter/lag spike. I feel as if I've read every thread on the internet about it at this point, and it isn't an uncommon issue. I simply can't be bothered anymore trying to root out the cause and I hope it just goes away... But for now it is playable.

Good luck.
did you find i fix for this, as when i cap my fps at 129 i have no spikes but when i play the game uncapped it has the problems even though there is no major fps drop